Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jenma_gw

Vent on Mid-State Kitchens and MA line price comparisons

jenma
13 years ago

Disclaimer: I know there are some of you out there who used Justin from Mid-State in Shrewsbury and had a great experience. I wish I had found this forum so I could have requested him.

I have been comparing prices between four or five companies over the last few weeks-months and I decided to go with Mid State because their prices on the 6 Square cabinetry line were amazing! $5300 for a 12x12 kitchen for white painted maple APC.

Apparently they were too good to be true. After I've basically finalized my kitchen design-ready for measurements and putting down a deposit-I get a call today with the final bid--$9000! I had made minor tweaks to the design: and that's almost twice as much!

I'm so angry I could spit. The KD says he didn't realize his software for 6 Square was outdated because they don't sell too much and apologized, but I don't think I can go further with them. Who knows what other mistakes could happen down the line . . .

DH isn't that surprised and couldn't care less. I figured someone could relate here! It's just so frustrating to go back and forth so as to get a good comparison apples to apples on different lines to make an educated decision and then basically be thrown a loop!

Now it's back to the drawing board. I wanted to do a full price comparison at some point on here or my basic 12x12 L + island white painted maple APC kitchen: Same design given to everyone. Doesn't include installation, only delivery.

Brookhaven: ~$13000

Crown Point: told they couldn't do my kitchen for less than $15,000 when I said I was hoping to keep it under or around $10k

Adelphi: ~$12500

6 Square: $9000

Cabico Espresso: $8000

Lowe's Kraftmaid: $8500

HD Thomasville: $8500

Heritage Cabinets: local cabinet maker-$13000-KD doesn't like white cabinets, kept trying to convince me to go with cherry to reduce the cost. Came to house to discuss design--overall very nice experience!! But lead-time was 12-14 weeks

Country craftsmen: only did one design (I changed my mind and they will only give one estimate for free), but it was very large and $10,000. It's a shame they won't do more than one because I think they are a great reasonable company, but I couldn't put a deposit down on a design I hadn't seen yet. Go to them last for an estimate.

The pro/cons I found were:

HD/Lowes: discounts, sales, the ability to pay interest free with a credit card over 6-12 months, questionable KD, questionable installers (luck of the draw), questionable product

Mid-state: very affordable, not reliable, door styles for 6 square and Cabico expresso are limited and no solid wood doors, great price for APC

Brookhaven (Kitchen Associates in Sterling, MA): great product, limited door styles in basic price, upcharges for APC and paint, great installers

Adelphi (Ideal Kitchens in West Boylston): great family owned, local company, similar product to Brookhaven, but more door styles available for same price, discounts (currently) on paint and APC

Comments (8)

• rjr220
    13 years ago

Just asking -- and maybe you don't have a problem with it, but want to make sure you know that the 6 square doors come from China. Quality and life of finish -- also getting replacements for incorrect sizes, QA issues may be problematic

• boxerpups
    13 years ago

You must be so frustrated. I know the last thing you want
    to hear is the name of another company, But I have to suggest
    this because you would never be giong through this
    nightmare with the right company.

Chris Russell.
    he is a cabinet maker in Ma and does amazing work.
    you might find he can anything you want and is very flexible.

Check out the garden web links.

Cabinets - Dover Woods or Modern? Local cabinet maker in Mass?

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg060757191392.html

Here is a link that might be useful: Boston area custom cabinet makers: any suggestions?

• dwysky
    13 years ago

Hi Jenma,
    Have you looked at Peabody Building Supply? I know it's north shore so it would be a hike for you, but it may be worth the trek. They have a website (linked below) but I personally have a little trouble figuring the cabinet lists out. Since you've already done some legwork then you may be familiar with the way they list the measurements and stuff. The store itself has a bunch of displays set up. We got our cabinets there almost a year ago. They have the kitchen engineering people there that (for free) put together the drawings based on your measurements. But the best part for me was that the delivery was only 75 bucks, and the cabinets come all assembled. They are 100% wood, dovetail, lots of size and shape options. We were able to chose upgrades like the self-close drawers and stuff. I remember that they have three drawer options, for example -- the basic glide, an improved glide, and then the self-closing one. The cost to upgrade was so minimal. (I can't imagine why anyone wouldn't go for the best option, that's how reasonable the increase was). So it may be an option for you, especially since you already have your designs in mind and all. Just be patient with the web site - I feel it doesn't do them justice because they offer multiple stains for each design, the option for different glass inserts, etc., and you have to hunt and peck a bit to decipher it. Again, going in person was ideal for us, so we could visualize the colors and designs. The people were really helpful, we made a few phone calls after we met with the guy and he was always accessible and accommodating. Just my two cents! Good luck, hopefully the rest of the process is smoother (and more fair, price-wise!) for you.

Here is a link that might be useful: building supply

• momand3boys
    13 years ago

I'm in western MA and priced Brookhaven and Cabico Espresso cabinets in maple, stained, both 13" deep. The price I was given for Cabico was only 15% less. But I think the 13" deep cabs are not std for Cabico? Also the Cabico were particle board boxes. I'm surprised your price is so much less than the Brookhaven. I might have to discuss with my KD...

I was also shocked when they first quoted me $6800 for the Brookhaven and we are up to $10,500 now. Funny how they reel you in... Good luck with your kitchen! :)

• gillylily
    13 years ago

Hi-
    I am south of Boston in Canton and we just built our house- OUr builder used a custom cabinet maker in Walpole, Creative Cabinets- Mike is the owner. He did a great job- We were given an allowance for our cabinets so I am not sure if he would be above your price-point, but he does exceptional work! We did a cherry stained alder, but our neighbors had theirs painted white and until I saw their kitchen I didn't think i liked painted white cab. BUt I LOVE their kitchen-- Like I said I don't know the price for a non- new build but I loved his workmanship and his crew-- Let me know if you want further info!!

Good luck and so sorry you had to deal with this!

• jenma
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Sorry--I got waylayed by school, etc for a while. . .

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. At your suggestions, I looked into Al Loader and Chris Russell--both custom woodworkers and both lovely. However, they wanted to work with a kitchen designer. I guess at the point when I called them, I wasn't so sure of my own design and I guess I could push it. But I feel more comfortable at least having someone who designs for a living signing off before I spend so much money.

I also wanted to update on more options:

1) Wayland Kitchens--of bostonpam--got back with a new Cabico quote for $9950, which means perhaps Mid State kitchens had another "software" glitch. Or perhaps Espresso is that much cheaper (Bob only uses the full custom Cabico line)

2) Waiting on pricing from Crown Point--however they indicated between $10-12k

3) Dover Woods from Kitchen Interiors in Natick (from Houzz) came in at $10k.

I will look into Creative Cabinets and Building Supply.

Thanks!

• marcolo
    13 years ago

Bump: Jenma--any updates for us?

I visited Country Craftsmen in Uxbridge a few months ago. Super nice people, good cabs with all Blumotion. They said they usually come in a little below Lowe's, so we'll see.

• mnhockeymom
    13 years ago

I think I was the first to recommend Country Craftsmen on this forum - I can't say enough about them and am actually hoping to have them do another kitchen in the next couple of months (we've moved).

However, if you need another recommendation, my KD also likes Heartwood Cabinetmakers in Holliston. I haven't met with them yet but her experience with them has been great so I may go to them for a quote after I meet again with the folks at Country Craftsmen.

Just another suggestion if you're still looking!