Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
soibean

Basically done - white and cherry shaker kitchen reveal

soibean
10 years ago

It's been a long journey to this point, but our kitchen, mudroom, eating area, and family room are finally done. Our project started out purely functional: we needed more storage space for all the extra pots, pans, dishes, and sundry that go with a kosher kitchen; we wanted functional space, as well; our appliances were breaking down; and we had no mud room - the back entrance to our house opened directly into our kitchen table.

I found GW in the course of researching appliances. I had never seen a white kitchen. I had never seen Houzz. I had no idea there was such a thing as inset cabinets, framed vs. frameless cabinets, what etching really meant, what quartzite was, the list goes on and on. Now nearly two years later, I've driven myself crazy researching things like faucets, ventilation, induction, countertops, backslashes, floors, paint colors, cabinet hardware - you get the idea.

Like most people here, I owe a huge debt of gratitude to GW. GW grounded me when I was trying to work through the layout of my kitchen, gave me a rich source of information for all of my decisions, and even led me to Dutch Wood, who made our cabinets. We literally would not be where we are without GW. So a huge thank you to everyone for sharing so freely.

Now for details:
Cabinets: Dutch Wood custom in Dove White and mahogany-stained cherry, mix of inset and full overlay
Backsplash - Heath ceramic tile 3"x9" in Frost glossy with white grout
Hardware: RH bin pulls and Amerock Highland Ridge handles and knobs in polished nickel
Faucets: Rubinet Ice and Moen 90 Degree in chrome
Gaggenau double-ovens (open box, half price on eBay)
Thermador 36" Induction cooktop (also eBay, open box)
Fisher and Paykel double DishDrawers (eBay, brand new on clearance)
Thermador 30" refrigerator and 18" freezer fully integrated columns
Franke Orca stainless steel sink (lplus a second 21" stainless sink)
Zephyr 42" Monsoon DCBL hood liner
Snowflakes granite
Room & Board Doyle counter stools, and glass table
WAC lighting clarity pendants
LZF Link pendant (eating area)
floors - red oak, not stained

Before pictures:

After (we added about 200 sq. ft. to the house in total):

looking toward eating area and mudroom

spice storage

mixer cabinet

k-cup storage

cutting boards and paper towels:

custom full-height trash and recycle pull-out

One of two integrated Dish Drawers

tray storage:

cookbook holder

eating area

mudroom

"doggie cabinet" (custom made by Dutch Wood)

Family room (built-ins also custom made by Dutch Wood)

Comments (69)

• a2gemini
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

What an amazing kitchen and Doggle is proud of having own cabinet!
    Love what you did - Wow!!!
    Love your mixing cabinet - I think it is better than the flip up models as far as space.
    And those pendants are perfect.
    Thank you for sharing your drawers and cabs - it is so nice to see what others have done.
    And that Heath backsplash - I really wanted Heath to work but after requesting samples 3 times, I was embarrassed to ask for more. I just loved the feel of them and they look gorgeous in your kitchen!!
    Who makes your cookbook holder and does it retract?
    I am jealous - I used to live in PA but can't get Dutchwood out here!!
    BTW- Did I mention, I love your new kitchen and am looking forward to KAW.

• sis2two
    10 years ago

That looks beautiful! I love your backsplash tile and you are making me want an island--and now!

• soibean
    Original Author
    10 years ago

A bunch of you have mentioned two of the toughest choices I had to make - the floor and the backsplash.

The floor - I wanted a dark floor, but everyone advised against it - too much maintenance. So I got the floor that matches our dog (and the rest of the house). I'm sure it was the right choice. And even with that, we just got a Roomba because constantly sweeping up dog hair just got to be too much. DH loves his new toy.

The backsplash - this was our second attempt, the first just came out all wrong. I was attracted to the Heath tile, but no one else I asked saw what I was seeing and it's hard not to second guess yourself! I'm so relieved that it's done and that it came out well. I can really understand being ABB now.

Autumn.4 - sink dimensions are 18"x29", island dimensions 7'3"x4'5".

kksmama - Dutch Wood designed and built the hood for me. I asked them for something simple and they did the rest. I'm very happy with how it came out.

williamsem - I mostly like the Orca sink - very roomy and functional. I find the stainless a little hard to keep clean. I had wanted to get the fireclay version but couldn't justify the expense.

a2gemini - the cookbook holder retracts under the cabinets. It does block the under-cabinet lights in that section. I don't know who makes it - Dutch Wood had it in their display and I just asked for one like it.

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    10 years ago

Especially love the ceilings, tile, granite! Great job! and a great design, too.

• cat_mom
    10 years ago

Very NICE!!!!!

(I especially love the doggie cabinet!! :) ).

• Ivan I
    10 years ago

What a perfectly designed prep island!

Paper towel and cutting boad on left.
    Trash on right

• gothaml
    10 years ago

Very nice! Love all the details you selected, backsplash, island lights, and dog -coordinated floor :)

• sanjuangirl
    10 years ago

Fabulous! Such a great combination of choices! The bs sets it all off perfectly. I love how your doggie posed for so many photos! A true born model! It's great that your floor blends so perfectly with your dog.

Here's wishing you many many happy years in your lovely kitchen! Congratulations!

• Molly Phillips
    10 years ago

You know I love your kitchen and definitely wanted to post about how great your counter stools looked with the rest of the area. Great final choice! :)

• youngdeb
    10 years ago

Everything is absolutely beautiful. It all comes together so beautifully...serene, happy, practical. Lovely job!

• peony4
    10 years ago

This is really beautiful! I agree with your sentiments about GW. I had no idea a group of virtual folks could be so valuable to my kitchen reno.

Congratulations. Lovely, functional kitchen.

• Tom
    10 years ago

Welcome to the Dutch Wood club!

They yet again did an outstanding job. Your kitchen is beautiful and shows many hours of planning and e-mails to Jason .

It has been 2 years since our kitchen was installed and it has held up well and everyday we continue to love our kitchen. I am sure you will have the same feeling many years from now.

• bpath
    10 years ago

Love everything (I love a white kitchen, and I never even saw "Something's Gotta Give"), the whimsical bone handle on the doggie cab, the mixer cab, and that wonderful Links pendant in the breakfast room!

I see the double-drawer for the k-cups; is one side for the used ones? Label it for guests: visiting friends, DH got up early and made three cups of really bad coffee before realizing the NEW cups were on the other side of the kitchen, the USED cups were next to the machine LOL! Hostess runs an afterschool-care and saves them for crafts.

Enjoy your beautiful new spaces, wishing you many happy gatherings!

• sixtyohno
    10 years ago

Your kitchen is gorgeous and so well organized. I love the granite and the blue backsplash, and the wonderful use of blue.
    It's hard to have 2 of everything and you did a great job.
    Enjoy your lovely new kitchen.

• homebuyer23
    10 years ago

Beautiful! I especially love your island pendants and your island granite. and the Kcup drawers!
    Your whole home looks amazing...love that mudroom and the dining area too!

• susanlynn2012
    10 years ago

I love your kitchen so much! I love the style and color of your cabinets. I LOVE your doggie cabinet. I love your floors. What width are your floors as they look perfect! I LOVE your granite. I love your backsplash. Your before kitchen was very nice but your after kitchen has that wow factor and is gorgeous! Thanks for sharing.

• dreamgarden
    10 years ago

It looks great. The under cabinet lighting and light counters really make it pop.

So many cool details. You can tell the dog likes his 'office' area! You've got me thinking about something similar for feeding wild birds.

Your remodel turned out very nice. Congratulations!

• a2gemini
    10 years ago

Soibean- thanks for the cookbook info
    I will keep coming back to visit your kitchen :-)
    Darn just noticed I double posted above. Grrr

• soibean
    Original Author
    10 years ago

bpathome - the dividers in the kcup drawers are so I can have separate spaces for coffee and tea, regular and decaf. But you reminded me that I forgot to start composting them again when we got our kitchen back. The coffee grounds are great for the compost and I feel less guilty about the waste.

Lynn2006 - the planks are 4" wide. When the floors were first finished I hated them. But I have come to appreciate how they balance out the space.

Our dog has found many places for himself in the new kitchen, but my favorite is in the mudroom. He jumps up on the bench and looks out the window when we come and go. We love seeing his face peeking out at us whenever we get home!

• texasgal47
    10 years ago

I love everything about your remodel, espcially covet the natural wood on the ceilings. All of your research, and attention to detail, has resulted in a spectacular kitchen.

How do you like your Zephyr Monsoon DCBL vent hood? I've been considering it for quite awhile. Is it as quiet as the manufacturer claims?

• TxMarti
    10 years ago

I love your kitchen, mudroom and eating space - really love the ceiling in the eating space. Did you pull up your original floor or put the new wood on top of it? It is a great color. I love your dog cabinet too. Cute and practical too.

• soibean
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Texasgal47 - I wouldn't say the Zephyr hood is quiet, though I haven't measured the sones. I was disappointed that it isn't quieter. If I had more space between the hood and the outside vent, I would have gotten an inline blower instead. Also, I've been told that most of the noise may be due to the air flowing over the baffles. That being said, it does a great job of clearing the steam, smoke, smells, etc. Also, I consider myself very sensitive to noise, so YMMV.

marti8a - we pulled up the whole floor and even parts of the subfloor. Our house is a classic New England colonial built in 1910. The previous owners put in the family room as an addition about 15 years ago. Their contractor did a poor job, and the family room floor was about an inch lower than the kitchen floor (we had a "ramp" between the two rooms - really sloppy work). Our GC did a great job leveling out the rooms - the walls and ceilings are way off level as well, making it difficult to do crown moldings. If you stare at the casings around the doorways or the bottoms of the cabinets, you can see how uneven everything actually is. But for the most part, it's not noticeable unless you are staring directly at it. That's life in a 100 year-old house.

• susanlynn2012
    10 years ago

Soibean, 4" planks are my favorite width as they are updated floors but not too wide or too skinny. I wish more engineered wood floors would come in 4" wide as that is the width I want. I compromised on 5" wide but now that they got water damaged, I want to find planks less wide at 3.5" or 3.75" since I can't find 4" wide. I love your floors.

• texasgal47
    10 years ago

Soibean, thank you for taking the time to response to my Zephyr hood question. It was a great help with my hood decision.

• gr8daygw
    10 years ago

The kitchen is amazing. I love everything about it, great job!

• kellyh_2010
    10 years ago

Hi Soibean,
    Your kitchen is beautiful! I love the combination of granite and backsplash. I am looking at doing a very similar layout and was wondering if you'd mind telling me the dimensions of your two walls - the one with the window and the one with the cook top. I'm having a hard time understanding from the architect's drawings what the dimensions mean in reality :)

We would also have our sinks in the same places as yours and I was wondering how they are working for you and where you put your dishwasher. Do you have any regrets? I have been flip flopping between dishwasher in the island or next to the other sink. Would love to get feedback from someone who is using the same set up.

Thanks so much!

• soibean
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi, kellyh,

The window wall cabinet run is 9.5' to the corner, and the cooktop wall cabinet run is about 12.5' to the corner (not including the doorway and oven section of the wall).

I love my layout, but it's set up to work as a kosher kitchen, so it may not apply to your situation. In other words, I use the island sink for dairy stuff and the wall sink for meat stuff. I use both of them for prep and cleanup in different situations, so they don't pass the "Sweeby test" regarding traditional separation of functions. For the same reason, I have two dishwashers - one for dairy, one for meat. Each dishwasher is below or across from the corresponding set of pots, dishes, cutlery, and utensils. In between the wall sink and cooktop I keep my "parve" things (neither meat nor dairy, sort of like neutral), which are my most used pots and utensils, plus spices, oils, vinegars, and other frequently used cooking things in the wall cabinets.

As it turns out, I do my cooking prep work all over - whichever part of the countertop I happen to be closest to at any given time. I love having so much countertop space to work with!

The main thing I love is having everything within easy reach at all times. It took me a year and a half of designing until I was satisfied that I had a design that would work for me but it was worth it. I'm sure I considered hundreds of different possible layouts before arriving at this one, which is still not quite perfect, but the best I could come up with given the constraints I was working with.

Anyway, the thing I'm trying to say is that my design probably wouldn't work for most people because my needs are different from most, although the basic principles are the same. But I would encourage you to visualize how you currently use your kitchen and picture yourself working in a new layout, and design around that.

• kellyh_2010
    10 years ago

Thank you!

• kksmama
    10 years ago

So fabulous, I see something new to admire every time I view a thread on this kitchen! Today it is the balance of warmth from the floors and island and ceiling and the coolness from the blue and granite. You've hit just the right point between traditional and modern that I'd like to create in my kitchen. Your old kitchen wasn't at all bad, but this one is in an entirely different class. And I really appreciate you sharing the struggles along the way (b/s), it gives the rest of us hope!

• baltomom_gw
    10 years ago

Sorry if I missed it, but what is your wall color?

I love the blue, and the backsplash, the granite, the doggie cabinet, floors, cabinets, island, dish drawers....

Stunning transformation!

I'm getting dish drawers installed next week -- how do you like yours?

• baltomom_gw
    10 years ago

Also, meant to say that I LOVE your mudroom! What is the tile on the floor? Please tell us about the ceiling! Is it individual strips of beadboard or panels? Is that all the same color? The mudroom looks more purple in the photos, while the kitchen looks more blue.

TIA! Congratulations on a thoughtfully designed, beautiful kitchen!

• soibean
    Original Author
    10 years ago

baltomom - the blue paint color is Benjamin Moore November Skies. It is the same color in the kitchen, eating area, and mudroom, it just looks different in different lighting. The family room is a purple called Hazy Lilac, which is a beautiful, soothing shade and works well with the blue. I'm not entirely sure about the mudroom tile - It is ceramic tile, I think, made to look like slate. One of those things where I spent 10 minutes in the tile store because I knew the basic shade I wanted already. I am pretty sure that the beadboard on the ceiling is panels - I wanted to keep the cost down and I don't think the GC charged me extra for it. It is the same color from the mudroom through the eating area, and coordinates pretty well with the floor, though it's a different type of wood.

Regarding the dish drawers - I love them! So convenient, and I find they hold a lot (assuming you get the tall model).
    No bending over and you don't even have to open them all the way to get to stuff in the back, so no blocking the aisles. I think they are pretty quiet, but then again, I never had a Miele and my old dishwasher sounded like a freight train. I can tell when these are on, but the sound doesn't bother me in the least, and I consider myself sensitive to noise. OTOH, the bottom dish drawers, if you get them, are cramped and DO make a lot of noise, so I would skip those if you don't need them.

kksmama - I think it was two straight years of struggle, but it did keep me busy. I do think that maybe the pendants are too small, the clearances too narrow. Nearly everything in the kitchen was a compromise of some sort - just a little smaller than I would like (freezer, drawer space, pantry cabinet, mudroom, aisle widths, no mixer cabinet, the list is long), ovens right next to a doorway in a main traffic area, granite instead of quartzite. Mostly, though, I just enjoy the convenience. How often in life do you get something that was designed specifically for the way you work and not someone else?

• susanlynn2012
    10 years ago

Soibean, I just had to come back to look at all your pictures and read your posts. I really love your kitchen that has many unique elements along with beauty and function. I also love your mudroom, tiled floors and the 4" wide natural red oak floors in your kitchen. As I said before, your granite is gorgeous, your backsplash is so pretty and your kitchen style and color choices are perfect! I also love how you have a doggy pull out cabinet and a place for your doggy dishes. Thanks again for sharing. I know you will get many years of enjoyment from this functional and beautiful kitchen.

• enduring
    10 years ago

Enjoy your beautiful new kitchen, dinning area, and mud room. You must be so happy with the outcome!

• sedona_heaven
    10 years ago

Soibean it is so encouraging to see your gorgeous kitchen. I do not think the pendants are too small - everything looks simply beautiful. The heath tile are exquisite, and the cabinets, and the functionality is inspiring. I love everything about it (the lamp over the table is incredible - wow), and that is not often the case!

I'm also encouraged because I just ripped out my backsplash and am going to have heck to pay when my contractor comes in today....so I'm very glad to see such a happy ending for someone else who knew when it wasn't right, and held out for something that felt right to them. Congratulations!!

• nco_nj
    10 years ago

I am in the beginning stages of expanding my kitchen by 200ft and I LOVE your kitchen. It's a wonderful inspiration! I want the same white shaker cabinets and a darker island base (i'm going w/espresso) too. It's amazing to see it all come together. You have given me so many ideas for storage as well as the little things, like the paper towel holder. brilliant. i like to have as little clutter as possible on my countertops. Your kitchen is stunning. Thank you for sharing so many photos!

• susanlynn2012
    10 years ago

I would love to know more about this pull-out cabinet with the lid that opens and closes. Does this come with your cabinets or is a retro-fit from another brand?

Are your cabinets a mixture of inset and full-overlay as I see no styles between the cabinets?

I love your kitchen so much! I love the color of it as I have previously said, the style of the cabinets, all the space and light you have, the darker island, the doggie cabinet, the beautiful floors, the gorgeous backsplash, the spice organizers on the door, the layout, and your adorable doggy!

Here is a link that might be useful: Cabinet with lid that opens & closes

• susanlynn2012
    10 years ago

I see now that you say that your cabinets are a mix of inset and full-overlay. I love your kitchen!

• bookworm4321
    10 years ago

If someone had not revived this thread, I would have missed this exquisite kitchen. I feel humbled when I see kitchens with every detail well thought out. These are kitchens I could live with in a forever house.

• Barbarav
    10 years ago

Soibean, what a beautiful transformation! Your hard work is so apparent! How are you liking your appliance choices 6 months later? Thanks.

• TrueBlue234
    10 years ago

That is gorgeous! My cabinets are exactly the same wood as yours were, and I do want a white and blue kitchen (I also have hardwood floors). Seeing your kitchen looks exactly like what I want as far as colors in both-before and after pics. Did you paint your wood cabinets or replace them with new, white cabinets? Thank you!

• nsuep
    10 years ago

Love your kitchen.

Please what is your color paint? I have white cabinets (though no where near as nice as yours) and want blue walls but have tried twice with painting blue and have covered both times with white.

Also, Heath frosted are your tiles?

Thank you

• Annette Holbrook(z7a)
    10 years ago

Beautiful kitchen. I stopped in my tracks originally as it very similar to mine. Mine is 17 years old however, so I'm glad to see I went with something classic. Yours is white, though, and as mine is due for a paint job I may just do white now :D.
    Just for comparison, this is a pic of my kitchen taken about 7 years ago. I have since changed out the white fridge, dishwasher and microwave to stainless. (We used what we had in the previous house until it was time to upgrade).

• caitlinmagner
    10 years ago

So beautiful. I love the little mixer cabinet!

• lucillle
    10 years ago

Beautiful, well thought out, what a huge difference between 'before' and 'after'!!!
    (And I love that you included the dog in the pictures!:)

• soibean
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I have been absent from GW for quite some time, so I apologize for the delay in responding. Thanks to everyone for the kinds words about the kitchen. It's been nearly a year since it was finished and everything about it has been great.

lynn2006 - the pullout with lid is by Rev-a-Shelf. The cabinet itself is custom as are all of the cabinets in the kitchen.

Barbarav - I am loving all of my appliances. I particularly love the wall ovens, but really all the appliances are great and I'd do it all again the same way.

TrueBlue234 - the cabinets are all new

nsuep - the paint in the kitchen is Benjamin Moore November Skies. It's really a beautiful color. The tiles are from Heath, color is Frost I think, they are glossy, not frosted. They match perfectly with the paint and the color variation in the tiles is fantastic.

• twosit
    10 years ago

I love this kitchen. The blend of materials is lovely. I am especially drawn to the ceiling in the eating area and mud room.

• mdln
    10 years ago

Love your kitchen, it has so many things I have already chosen, it has become my inspiration.

Wonderful of you to consider your canine family member when designing the kitchen.

Thank you for sharing.

• KBH
    10 years ago

What a stunning kitchen - love the backsplash and the cabinets are just gorgeous. We have the same granite, but when I bought it it was River White. So many names...

• athomesewing
    10 years ago

Wow, that is truly beautiful!

This gorgeous kitchen looks like it always should have been in your home, versus the golden oak. The cabinets, with the mullions look perfect with the architectural details of your home. Your choice of backsplash is simply perfect.

Thanks for sharing your photos!