Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
abrshafer_gw

Wolf 48 inch dual fuel range- should I splurge?

abrshafer
10 years ago

I am trying to decide my appliances this week and I thought I had decided on either:

Kenmore Elite 33 cu ft French door refrigerator
Sharp Micro drawer
Kenmore Elite Dishwasher with turbo jets
Wolf 36 inch gas 5 burner cooktop
Kenmore Elite Double convection oven
Kenmore Elite Warming drawer
Blower/vent insert

OR

Sharp Micro drawer
Wolf 36 inch 5 burner cooktop
and GE Profile dishwasher, warming drawer, and 29 cu side by side.
Blower/vent insert

But now, I have stumbled across a 48 inch dual fuel range that is in mint/new store display (includes original wolf warranty and I can purchase additional store warranty) that a local appliance store is selling since they have decided to discontinue selling Wolf at this location. It retails for 13,170 and they are offering to me for 8,750. I have been to the store to see it and it looks perfect. They are also selling a mint Wolf warming drawer for 299.00.

So is this to good of a deal to pass up? Do I need to rethink the budget? Originally my budget had been 10-13K on appliances. Both the Kenmore/GE above scenarios have me right under 11K but if I did the wolf 48 inch range I would be right at 15K total.

Any opinions?

Comments (24)

• kksmama
    10 years ago

I think you'll be sorry if you spend more than 50% of your budget on a range, and you should check on the increased venting you'll need - that gets pricey quickly when size increases and you need make-up air.

Which is more important to you - more cooking surface or more/better fridge and freezer space? I'd much rather have 12 extra inches of fridge space, or even cabinets, than rangetop.

I love floor models, scratch/dent, etc and scored some great deals on mine. And I'm re-using my dishwasher. Still had a hard time staying on budget. Good luck!

• abrshafer
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for opinions/info!!

I think I will pass on range. Until this week, I thought I was going to get the GE 36 'induction.

I am going to get the Wolf warming drawer.

How about this? They have a Miele Steam Oven for 750.00 It retailed for 2500. It sounds interesting. They also have a matching Miele warming drawer for 199 and a coffee/plate warmer 199. Plus a Miele dishwasher but do not know this price. All floor models since they are also discontinuing this line but again all have original warranities. I think I would still want the Wolf warming drawer though.

• LoPay
    10 years ago

I wouldn't get a coffee warmer. Freshly brewed coffee should be put in a thermal carafe to preserve taste. If you want to warm up plates, you can use the warming drawer.

• deeageaux
    10 years ago

Steam Ovens 1) Gaggenau 2) Wolf 3) Miele but for 750 I would buy the Miele steam oven.

Pass on the coffee/plate warmer.

If you find out what model DW and the price then I can give better advice.

I would still get the Wolf warming drawer unless you plan to place the warming drawer under the steam oven and you really really want the handles to match. It is not a bad warming drawer but I like the Wolf better.

• sayde
    10 years ago

You might consider that Miele dishwasher. Or even if you cannot get one at a deep discount -- I think it makes sense to buy the best possible dishwasher even if that means tradeoffs on the range or fridge.

• abrshafer
    Original Author
    10 years ago

deeageaux - I don't know the model # as I only glanced at it while I was looking at the steam oven. Looking online it looks like it may be the "classic" G5225 DW

I am going to go buy the store again later today. Hopefully, will decide all my appliances by then.

In regards to how the appliances look/feel. I prefer the GE double oven, but really like Kenmore DW and 33 cu ft French refrigerator... Not sure if I want another side by side (Like GE's side by side better than Kenmore though so could get it if I did other applainces) but do not like the freezer drawer on GE French.

• abrshafer
    Original Author
    10 years ago

UPDATE-

Appliance store just called to say that they have a "deal" for me:

Wolf 48" DF 6 burner/griddle (Retails 13170)
    Miele Warmer Drawer
    Miele Steam oven (Retails 2500)
    = 8000. Now I am back to considering the Wolf DF again.

If I buy the above they have also offered me:
    Kitchenaid 3rd rack DW (Retails 1239) for 799
    Sharp Micro Drawer for 759
    Whirlpool Side by side 30 cu ft 1699 (or GE profile 29.1 for 1729)
    Vent a hood blower/insert for 48 inch

All appliances = 12,400 including delivery before tax. In my original budget but at the very top end .

• kompy
    10 years ago

My 48" Fivestar is my favorite thing about my new kitchen! I would go for it!!!! You can't beat a commercial range (esp. that large with two ovens) for wow factor!!!

• Mags438
    10 years ago

Get what makes your heart flutter! You'll be happier in the long run. I wish I had; I wouldn't be re-doing my kitchen...I settled before and have always regretted some prior decisions.

• deeageaux
    10 years ago

Ask them replace the KA with the Miele dishwasher for the same $12.4.

The Classic ranges in price from $1k to $1.3K depending on options like 3rd rack.

I bet they do it and I would take it.

• abrshafer
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Talked to appliance store again. Meile dishwasher was sold this morning... However, the KA does look really nice.

I am still on the fence. I want to make sure I am buying the Wolf range combo because I love it versus getting it because it's such a good deal... My kitchen designer basically is in awe and told me "take the deal and run". However, the ovens seem low on the Wolf range vs having the double convection wall ovens... I don't know if this would be a deal breaker?

• deeageaux
    10 years ago

With the double ovens you have one oven that is a little too high and one that is a little too low.

With the range you have two ovens that are low but under the range hood to vent properly. This is a particularly good idea when you have fish in the oven.

The ideal situation, if budget and space allow, would be two single ovens side by side at the ideal height.

Obviously the Wolf Range does not make your heart sing.

The steam oven and warming drawer still seem like a very good idea to me.

No wall ovens on clearance?

Do you happen to live in the greater New York City area?

• abrshafer
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I really like the Wolf range but never even looked at ranges at all before this week because of price/oven issue. However, that was before I found this deal which put it in my upper price range. So I'm trying to research the range and look at it realistically vs getting swayed just by the price. If I didn't get the range, I would be buying the Kenmore double convection oven with Wolf 5 burner gas cooktop. Not sure if Wolf range ovens would be better or not. I do LOVE the cooktop part of the range and the "wow" factor however just concerned with oven heights. However, I would have the steam oven at perfect level above the warming drawer so that may offset the lower ovens on range.

I live in southern TN. Not that I want this to influence my decision, but houses in my neighborhood (range from 500k-3 Million) do have majority high end appliances. So even though we don't plan on selling , I believe the Wolf range would fit the house better... However, for me personally, I would be happy with both scenarios.

Thanks for all the help/input!!

• abrshafer
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I really like the Wolf range but never even looked at ranges at all before this week because of price/oven issue. However, that was before I found this deal which put it in my upper price range. So I'm trying to research the range and look at it realistically vs getting swayed just by the price. If I didn't get the range, I would be buying the Kenmore double convection oven with Wolf 5 burner gas cooktop. Not sure if Wolf range ovens would be better or not. I do LOVE the cooktop part of the range and the "wow" factor however just concerned with oven heights. However, I would have the steam oven at perfect level above the warming drawer so that may offset the lower ovens on range.

I live in southern TN. Not that I want this to influence my decision, but houses in my neighborhood (range from 500k-3 Million) do have majority high end appliances. So even though we don't plan on selling , I believe the Wolf range would fit the house better... However, for me personally, I would be happy with both scenarios.

Thanks for all the help/input!!

• abrshafer
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oops didn't mean to duplicate post.

• deeageaux
    10 years ago

If you are getting wall ovens I don't know why you would buy a Wolf cooktop over a Bluestar. BS has a lower low than Wolf, better heat distribution and power up top.

If the decision is whether to get Wolf ovens or Kenmore-Electrolux ovens then I would get the Wolf. The Kenmore ovens are not ideally placed either and placing items in the top oven's middle and upper rack over an open oven door is not easy if you are shorter than average. Better racks, better insulation, and better heat distribution.

• abrshafer
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Decided to get the Wolf Range! Very excited!

The appliance store came down another 1K dollars. I went by my friends house who has a double oven (she's tall) and her upper oven is actually harder to reach inside than I thought....

Deeageeaux: Never looked at bluestar before your comments. I did look them up. They look nice but the closest store that sells is 100+ miles away.

• Gooster
    10 years ago

Congratulations. You scored a tremendous deal on an excellent package of appliances.

• ideagirl2
    10 years ago

I agree with Gooster. High five!

• liriodendron
    10 years ago

Although a 48" range is a demanding item to space plan around (I sometimes throw things at mine when i'm working on a new plan that simply won't work because of the range).

But I would be very reluctant to give its double ovens up. There is a huge advantage, at least in my opinion, to having the ovens under the cooking surface. It's much more convenient for the many things that use both types of cooking - and the broiler is under the range hood some any smoke or smells, etc. from broiling fish or meat are sucked right up and out.

I love my big 'ole range. I've had it for nearly two decades and expect to ahve it forever. Mine's not a dual-fuel model though, so it is simplicity itself when repairs or tweaks are needed.

HTH

L.

• lcampa
    10 years ago

If you decided not to go with it, can you tell me where this place is? I am in the market for a 48 inch wolf dual fuel.

Thanks!

• hkwan
    9 years ago

I would like to know the place where you paid total of $12.400 for all of the above 48- WOLF DF, Miele steamer etc,,,- I know the price is for 2013 - but maybe the place still has the program.

Thanks

Y

• hvtech42
    9 years ago

It was a one time clearance sale. Those items were sold over a year ago and are gone, and as the original post explains, that store no longer sells Wolf. The only reason they were allowed to sell it at that price was because it was a display model. If you are not willing to settle for a used or display model, you will never find a similar deal because Wolf products are price-controlled. Even if you do go used or display, it's doubtful you'll ever get as lucky as the OP did. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.