Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
katienic_gw

katienic's Bianco Romano & Dark Cabs Pics

katienic
14 years ago

My granite was installed last Thursday and I couldn't be more in love!

The fabricators were wonderful and managed to not have a seam anywhere. The sink wall section was taken from the slab with 1" in length to spare!

The lights are all in, and the plumbing is complete except for the instant hot as the tap was defective. Hopefully that will be put in this week. I'm very happy with my decision to go with the black sink even though my counter is white; with the very dark cabinets the black sink just somehow belongs and looks like it sinks (pun intended!LOL) into the cabinetry below.

The only thing left is my piece of art for the end wall & the window treatments. It's a toss up between bamboo roman shades that will filter light, & me making cloth roman shades, which will depend on whether I can find a fabric I like that will give me the look I want. The hunt is on!

Here are a few photos for those who wanted to see the granite with the dark cabs! :) I'm not all that great at taking photos so these don't really do it justice, and don't capture the lovely zen feeling I have being in there.

Thank you all for sharing of your knowledge, experiences & resources! My decision making was so much more informed because of all the help here!

This angle is the best I can do to get some of both sides at once:

A close up of the Bianco Romano - This slab is so pretty. Lots of variety and action, but all very nicely balanced.

And here is the cute little 2 person table I found to replace my huge 54" round 6 person table:

Comments (21)

• morton5
    14 years ago

Katie, I love it! The Bianco Romano is gorgeous and brightens the space. I love the contrast and how the dark spots in the BR tie in with the dark cabinets. I had planned on getting that granite myself, but in the end it did not work with the backsplash I had set my heart on. It looks wonderful in your kitchen. I know what you mean about the difficulties of getting good dark cab photos-- your photos are beautiful, but I am sure it is even more wonderful IRL!

• vakitchen
    14 years ago

Katie, your kitchen is beautiful, thank you for posting them. I am also getting the Bianco Romano, but I have cherry cabinets. I have about 2-3 weeks before my kitchen is completed and I cannot wait to see my granite!!

• remodelfla
    14 years ago

Love the Bianco Romano with your dark cabs... great job katie!

• southernstitcher
    14 years ago

It looks great! You're right, the effect is very zen - it doesn't look like work space so much as an elegant place to relax!! I'm in love!

• jb1176
    14 years ago

Your BR is some of the best I've seen - the colors are so balanced without the streaks that most of the slabs seem to have lately. What tile did you use on the floor and is the wall color gray? The whole space is so peaceful. Good job!

• kelleg69
    14 years ago

It looks great. I love it with your floors--which are really neat.

• lyno
    14 years ago

Your granite and cabinets and everything are just beautiful!

• lynda_baker
    14 years ago

Oh, I love it. Can you tell me about your pulls/knobs?

• dinkledoodle
    14 years ago

Everything is absolutely gorgeous!

• rhome410
    14 years ago

I love it all...It's really beautiful. The table and chairs are great, too. Enjoy!

• lilyfreak
    14 years ago

It's beautiful! I just love your cabinets, too.

• katienic
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you everyone for your kind comments. I'm beaming like a proud new mama!

I should have taken a photo of my making dinner mess to show that it doesn't always look so 'pristine'. Though it's back to looking that way now. :) I have been without a dishwasher for 3 years and boy am I loving having it back!

Morton5: Thanks, the BR does seem to be the perfect compliment to the dark cabs; the lightness is the right strength to give me the contrast, but as you say the little bits of colour tie in with the dark cabs, and keeps it from looking a cold contrast. The granite guys were suitably impressed and said of all the granite they've seen they couldn't imagine a better combination; mind you they may say that to all the proud new granite owners! LOL.

jb: what sort of not-so-nice streaks do some of the slabs have? I have a couple of areas of speckly black streaks, but they are really pretty and part of what I love most.

jb & kelleg: The tile is porcelain from Casa Roma called India Bahir; it is basically a grayish white with a walnut stain that gives it an old world patina. Members of the board helped me decide on it when I was afraid from the sample I had that it would look 'dirty'. It doesn't look dirty, but it does hide dirt & coffee drips etc very, very well! I have had workmen traipsing through with work boots for 3 weeks & even with rainy days & I have yet to wash the floor, or feel I need to. I've swept & given a wet swipe to the odd coffee splotch but that's been it! I had wished I had used a bit darker gray grout, but it is gradually darkening down so I expect it will mellow out a bit more yet.

The paint is BM Silver Fox. It works with the Bianco Romano perfectly and seems to have enough taupe that it works well with the dark stain of the cabs too.

vakitchen: You are going to LOVE your Bianco Romano with your Cherry Cabs!

Southernstitcher: I was hoping you'd see this thread as I know you were waiting to see the dark/light combination! Does it help you get closer to making your decision?

Lynda: The knobs & pulls are from Home Depot. Very inexpensive. Knobs are square- Manor & I can't remember what the pulls were called. They are quite linear looking, which fits well with both the shaker door profile and the overall parallel rows of my cabs/island.

• jen19083
    14 years ago

Katie -

Love your kitchen - especially the Bianco Romano! I've got in my kitchen too. I've got lighter cabs (I kept the existing ones) and they look good with lighter as well.

I've got a paint color inspiration now (I remodeled a couple of months ago, but haven't painted yet).

Congrats!

• tigger
    14 years ago

Katie - your kitchen looks absolutely stunning! And that Bianco Romano is the most gorgeous I've seen! We considered it first before any other granite, but the slabs we saw were not nearly as pretty. Oh, almost forgot - love the black sink also!!

I'm so jealous of you being practically done! I'm sitting here typing as we are confined to our basement - ugh! We'll be in the basement for at least another week while the floors are being finished. I'm really glad for that, but it's really a pain to be living in chaos. Could be much worse though - at least we have a living area, tiny kitchenette and bathroom :)

Good luck with the last little finishing touches - you did a great job with the kitchen and I know you'll enjoy it immensely!

• karena_2009
    14 years ago

Congratulations!!! I hope my bianco romano installation looks as good as yours. I'm a big fan of bianco romano slabs as they are one of my favorites.

I love the contrast between the cherry cabinets and the granite. You must be so thrilled. I have yet to start my kitchen project as I have to remove a bearing post first before I can install my cabinets and granite.

• cat_mom
    14 years ago

Great combo! Love the dark cabs and that BR is so pretty!

• faleash
    14 years ago

Those cabinets are beautiful. They look so rich and your hardware looks just right with them. Is the wood a deep stained cherry?

• ebse
    14 years ago

Hi katie,

I love what you've done! Every detail works together. My favorite part is your long, tall run of cabinets. So beautiful.

• megradek
    14 years ago

Congrats on a gorgeous space! I love the simplicity of the color combos. The granite is really pretty and perfect with the cabs. I love the hutch-like wall!!!

• alku05
    14 years ago

Oh I love that BR!!! That is one purdy stone, and it looks great with the dark cabinets. I wanted BR just like that when I was counter shopping but all of the BR we could find was two-toned and not pretty like yours.

• lesmis
    14 years ago

Oh Katie I totally missed this post. I love your kitchen, it's so pretty!!! The Bianco Romano is lovely and of course that paint color is perfect!

Kat :)