Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
positano_gw

Let's see pictures of your open kitchen with white/off white cabs

positano
15 years ago

Pictures of kitchens open to family/dining areas with white/off white cabs would help a lot. We are opening the walls between the kitchen and dining room and the kitchen will be visible from the front door and living room(its a very casual living room. Just trying to visualize the lighter cabs in the living spaces.

Thanks once again!!

Comments (26)

• akarinz
    15 years ago

positano,

I am in the process of doing what you said. My cabinets are currently being painted white, with a red glaze. They should be finished next week. It is a five day process. I had the walls from a living room, dining room, back patio, laundry room and bathroom all taken down to create a great room. The floor is currently being put in. So I don't really have any completed pictures to show you yet. But can't wait until next week!!!

Karin

• User
    15 years ago

If you haven't yet seen them, there are pics in my Photobucket link showing how my kitchen looks open to the living/dining area. They're in the Finished Kitchens Blog under amck's kitchen.

Those pictures were taken in December, and I have changed out rugs, prints and accessories for summertime. Gives the place an entirely different feel. I mention it because it was really easy to do with simple white cabs as a backdrop.

• snowyshasta
    15 years ago

Positano, this is actually our old kitchen (remodel in progress) but I think it's what you're trying to visualize, with the white-cabinet kitchen open to the family room (with dining nook off to the right).

• tess_5b
    15 years ago

This is an old picture, we are in the process of putting in a new range hood and tiling the backsplash right now, but didn't make any other changes. The kitchen and dining room are all one L shaped space with french doors on one end of the dining room leading off to two decks. More pics in link:
    {{!gwi}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Kitchen update

• ging9
    15 years ago

Here are a few pics of our kitchen. Most are taken from the dining room which is across from the opening to the kitchen. On the other side of the peninsula is the family room. It steps down into the family room so on the other side of the peninsula we have bar stools.

Here is a link that might be useful: kitchen

• positano
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Great photos everyone, thanks a lot. It helps to see the big picture.

Ging9 what are your countertops?

• ging9
    15 years ago

My countertops are granite. It is called crema toscana. It is from Italy-at least that is what they tell me. I really wanted something with movement and I love the end result.

• positano
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks ging9.

Tess- what is your countertop?

• amylville
    15 years ago

Here is a before and after of my remodel (took down wall between kitchen and dining room)

Kitcen before:

Dining room before

Kitchen after (table is in same place in all pictures)

• paigeysmom
    15 years ago

Ging9,
    Your kitchen seems to look a lot like I hope mine will look in about a month (crossing my fingers!). I have 2 quick questions for you. What is your sink and backsplash? I just learned that the sink I ordered online from e-counters several weeks ago doesn't exist and they can't get it. Now the cabinets are due next week and I need a sink ASAP and yours looks perfect!
    Thanks

• ging9
    15 years ago

paigeysmom-my sink is the Rohl Allia 6307 is the model number I think. I love it. The single sink is perfect and it is fierclay so it is so easy to clean and maintain. I also got the stainless grid that goes in the bottom. That has worked out very well and makes it more functional. I got it online, but can't remember where. It was instock and came quickly and in great condidtion.

My backsplash is travertine subways. They are slightly rounded at the edges which gives them a cushioned feel. Again I am so happy with the way they turned out. I wanted some interest, but being such a small kitchen, I was afraid in doing any accent pieces, it may get too busy. Having the subway keeps the interest on the pattern, without breaking the eye up too much.

Again-I love my sink!!-Good luck with the remodel-it is so worth it in the end.

• gglks
    15 years ago

amylville,
    what are your countertops?????? gorgeous. also, how much space do you have behind the stool side of the island and the cabinet wall? thanks.....looks very similar to my design and i'm wondering how it is working for you???

• ging9
    15 years ago

paigeysmom-I just noticed a thread "Which backsplash accent looks best"-or something close posted on June 29 and they are using the same backsplach materials. Thought you may want to see a close up pic.

• tess_5b
    15 years ago

Positano, it's a "granite look" laminate. Not sure what it's called but it tends to fool people. Finished our latest makeover on the weekend, now we have a new range hood and tiles.
    {{!gwi}}

• try_hard
    15 years ago

You can see pictures of my kitchen here:

try_hard

Here is a link that might be useful: Try Hard's kitchen

• positano
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Beautiful house Try hard!! I just ordered the KA fridge too. How do you like yours?

• try_hard
    15 years ago

Positano,

Thank you! I love the refrigerator. The only complaint I have had is there was something very sharp on the bottom of it that left a deep, thin scratch on my new wood floor as the fridge was pushed into position. Grrr! But we covered the scratch with a wax pen so it's all fine now.

The icemaker seems efficient, the refrigerator layout is flexible, its temperature runs true (I keep a fridge thermometer in there) and it feels spacious. The outside finish polishes nicely. I'm very happy with it.

Try_Hard

• positano
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I just love your blog Try Hard. I was reading about the color of your hardwood floors. You picked the coffee, but I can't find it on Minwax's website. Who makes it? And how are the floors to clean? Do you see a lot of dust. I love the dark floors , but heard they are a nightmare to clean.

We also have red oak floors that I want darker.

Thanks!

• slc2053
    15 years ago

try_hard...beautiful kitchen..could you share with me the brand of lighting pendants used over your island? Thanks!

• ggkell
    15 years ago

amylville - can you share the granite on the island? also, what is the size of you island? finally, did you use a different material on your countertops? i love your kitchen and am trying to duplicate this color combination.

• pluckymama
    15 years ago

amylville- I agree. Let' hear some details about that beautiful kitchen! Who did your cabinets and what are the finishes? And that granite on your island is so gorgeous. Tell us about it.

• mommyof5
    15 years ago

amylville - Love your kitchen! I am planning a very similiar hood over my cooktop w/ the side cabinets meeting the counter top just like yours. How wide are those cabinets and what do you store in them? I have 14" planned, but my cabinet guy thought I should go down to 12".

• gfiliberto
    15 years ago

I knocked down the wall between my kitchen and dining room. In its place I have a buffet unit which is finished on both sides. It is open in the center for serving, and has glass cabinets on both sides that come down to sit on the counter.
    It REALLY opened up the space in my dining room and kitchen. Visually it is very open, but the space is still divided to create different rooms.

• pluckymama
    15 years ago

artteacher, I have admired your kitchen often. How do you like having the glass cabinets on both sides that come down to the counter? I'll bet they add a lot of light into the rooms. It looks really neat and give you a pass through for people in the dining room.

• gfiliberto
    15 years ago

Pluckymama,thanks!

I like being able to look into the dining room and living room (they are in an L-shape). It opened up the whole space, while still keeping the separate rooms.
    It really did more for the dining room than the kitchen.
    My dining room was narrow and cramped. I always felt closed in sitting in there when we had a crowd for dinner.
    Knocking down the wall gave me about 3 or 4 more inches of floor space. However, visually it's totally open now and seems much bigger.

• brutuses
    15 years ago

Now that's an island, artteacher!! Beautiful kitchen.