Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jspann24

Ohhhh backsplash...

JSpann
9 years ago

We need to make a decision on the backsplash by Monday morning... so far we've just had this lame board to use, but a few samples are supposed to make it to me today (fingers crossed!)

My question: what is your gut instinct for a backsplash for this kitchen? My plan has been a subway, hence my horizontal outlets.

The cabinets are Alabaster - they're a creamy white. Counters are St. Cecilia Light... not as warm as other st. cecilias, and I think it definitely reads 'dark' from a distance. Hardware is brushed nickel.

My first thought is a biscuit (baaaarely off white), not sure on grout. But then occasionally I wonder if I am being too cautious and maybe I should be doing more of a light gray or griege subway... or perhaps just do the biscuit, but make it a herringbone pattern to give more visual interest? Would that look dumb w/the plugs set as they are?

Any opinions welcome!

Comments (8)

• funkelsgw
    9 years ago

From the pics, your granite seems to have a little gray hue to it. I wonder if something with a slight gray might bring things together. You won't really know until you actually have the samples on the countertop under different lighting conditions. This is what we did. We went with 2x8 tiles and really like the look.

• JSpann
    Original Author
    9 years ago

thank you for the picture, Funkels! I am wondering the same thing about a light gray... just scared... :) I should see a sample I can actually put up against it here sometime tonight... yay!

...Ironically, the lights won't even be turned on until next Wednesday, probably... haha! So much pressure.

Thanks again!

• SparklingWater
    9 years ago

What about matching your cabinet color in the tile and doing a soft pearl or gray grout? Try to defocus the dark color in the St. Cecelia and bridge the two products via the grout?

TEC Grout, Pearl and Silverado come to mind.

• LE
    9 years ago

We used a 4x16 subway that came in Alabaster and a warmer grayish color called Fog. It was from one of the more affordable lines at Ann Sacks called Grid, if you want to check it out. Less than 10.00 SF. Avail. In matte or gloss. We haven't seen it grouted yet, but it's a nice quality tile.

• amberm145_gw
    9 years ago

Is that Kitchen Craft "Alabaster"? That's what my cabinets are, and it's really a stark white, not creamy.

I found it hard to match a white tile to the white cabinets. So I'd probably do a pale grey.

• JSpann
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Just wanted to follow up... thanks for your input!

we went with an alabaster subway w/a gray grout and love how it turned out. Here is a picture and here's a link to the virtual tour if you want a bigger picture!

http://susanhutcherson.com/PropertyDetails?ls=MTRMLS&pid=1530463&presented_by=homepage&show_virtual_tour=yes&show_description=yes&show_address=yes

• Amy Sumner
    9 years ago

JSpann, absolutely beautiful. I bet you are thrilled. Enjoy!

• localeater
    9 years ago

Thank you so much for posting an update. Looks absolutely perfect!