Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
frugalnotstingy

back for more backsplash help

frugalnotstingy
10 years ago

Hi again!

I got more sample tiles and could really use some advice. I tried looking for other options but am always drawn by glass tiles everytime I go to a showroom - the way I was always drawn to Bianco romano.

So here are the sample colors:
Taken at daytime...

Gloomy day

Gloomy day with light on

I have been told that my cabinets are too traditional for what I like - which is transitional - but is there a way to make it work?

Here's a pic of what I'm working with (for those who have not seen any of my previous posts).

TIA for any advice!

I am going to paint the wall & change the hardware on my cabinets. I just got done priming the trim on the windows in my breakfast nook, what a difference!

This post was edited by frugalnotstingy on Thu, Jun 27, 13 at 16:47

Comments (26)

• karen_belle
    10 years ago

If you like it then you should feel good about your choice. I would absolutely stay away from the small mosaics because your granite has so much movement. Maybe think of your glass tiles in a more traditional size, like a 2x4 or 3x6 subway, and mock up a running bond pattern to see how that looks. It should be kind of transitional - modern tile in a traditional pattern.

Here is a link that might be useful: an example of a traditional cabinet, granite counters, glass tile

This post was edited by karen_belle on Thu, Jun 27, 13 at 16:45

• herbflavor
    10 years ago

I'd pick the gray.....mosaic-possibly-maybe better in a different size-but gray for sure,IMO.

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

I agree with Herb, the grey looks great and I think glass tiles if they are subway tiles would look wonderful in your kitchen. I love your granite and it looks great with your cabinets.

• blfenton
    10 years ago

Grey. The others are fighting with your cabinets.

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

Agree. My eye was drawn to the grey glass tile. It looks like it will work really well with your counters.

• ellendi
    10 years ago

The color gray yes, glass no. Glass is more suited for a contemporary kitchen. Yours is traditional.

• rkb21
    10 years ago

I also love the gray tile with your granite and cabinets. It seems to blend in nicely.

• localeater
    10 years ago

I think your heart knows. Listen to your heart. I love the glass tiles in your kitchen(and they are "oh, so wrong" in mine! LOL)
    I really like the gray(tile 4 from L to R). But, I am drawn to the first color? Is it green, khaki, I don't know. If it was my kitchen I would eliminate the middle two and play around with the remaining two. Take pictures, different places, different times of day, different lights. It is really variable.
    Now, I should note, I have no backsplash. I haven't decided yet, so it is possible I am an idiot. I have narrowed down my field of choices however and I am getting REALLY close. in my processing, I have realized that living with the samples and seeing them in different place during different times of day tells me a lot. The tile I thought I loved turns VERY pink at sunset. I cannot live with it. It is a time of day, in the summer, that i am active in the kitchen. And, my kitchen turns PINK(from the reflection of the tile). Take your time.

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    10 years ago

The blue background is throwing me off, but I think that I like the 2nd from the left. But, it may be a little too dark for the space.
    Can you make some color copies of each and tape them up to see what a whole backsplash would be like?

What color did you choose for your walls?

• nobees
    10 years ago

I like the gray 3x6, but I may be partial since I'm looking for the same! Have you seen any frosted glass tiles in gray/taupe? I saw some the other day, and I really liked that look also.
    Maybe it'd be easier to pick after you do the other updates (hardware/paint)? I'm thinking that's what I might end up doing and just paint my BS area for a little while. Of course, I don't even have up regular lighting yet though...

• natebear zone 10B
    10 years ago

The only one I like out of those is the gray!

• frugalnotstingy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for all the feedback! I am kinda partial to the gray myself.

Ellendi, do you have something in mind that are not glass? I have no idea what to look for.

Localeater, I am seeing green in the first tile too -I can't remember the name for that tile but I know that one is from The Tile Store.

Raee, I don't have wall color picked yet. That will be another post here altogether. ;-). Either taupe-ish or gray-ish.

Nobees, do you mind sharing the gray/taupe tiles that you've seen? I haven't ran across frosted ones yet. I figured the hardware would be the last one to change since it's just going to be brushed nickel - maybe. I haven't even thought that far ahead. Lol

• Peke
    10 years ago

Gray for sure. The tan or brown tiles make the cabinets look too orange. I think brushed nickel would look great with the gray tiles and counter. It is going to be so pretty! Looking better every day. Peke

• akl_vdb
    10 years ago

The grey for sure. My eye was drawn to it in every picture.

• ginny20
    10 years ago

I like the gray, too. It also works with the floor. If you use the glass - which I love - your kitchen will skew towards transitional, rather than traditional. I think that's fine, but does the gray glass pass the Sweeby Test for you? If so, one more decision made!

• nobees
    10 years ago

I could have sworn I took a photo of the frosted ones, but it's not on my phone!! I'm wondering if I accidentally deleted it. The one thing I didn't like about those was that they weren't 3x6; they were a little longer and narrower, which I think looks a bit too modern. The frosted was at a local tile store (I'm in the Chicago suburbs). If I head back that way, I'll take a photo. The pictures I googled online don't really show the frost/matte finish.

• pricklypearcactus
    10 years ago

The only color of those that I like is the grey. I see no reason why you couldn't use a glass tile. As mentioned, it's a transitional look. If that's what you want, then you should go for it.

• julie94062
    10 years ago

When I was looking for a backsplash for my Typhoon Bordeaux, this was one of my favorites.

Sonoma Tilemakers Stellar Crackle in the "Smoke" color. A greenish gray that goes really well with the TB's background color.

• julie94062
    10 years ago

When I was looking for a backsplash for my Typhoon Bordeaux, this was one of my favorites.

Sonoma Tilemakers Stellar Crackle in the "Smoke" color. A greenish gray that goes really well with the TB's background color.

• nobees
    10 years ago

Have you seen this kitchen on Houzz yet? It reminds me a little of yours. It says the granite is Ambrosia White--not sure if that's similar to yours, but you can see they used a gray backsplash (doesn't look like to be glass though).

Here is a link that might be useful: [Similar Kitchen[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/artisan-kitchen-remodel-eclectic-kitchen-chicago-phvw-vp~929648)

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

Julie, thank you for posting that. My TB has a bit of green and greys in it and I fell in love with the Sonoma crackle tile. The smoke color looks great with TB!

• Vertise
    10 years ago

I like the idea of a creamier color. I think you need to brighten things up. Agree that glass tiles would seem too modern for your kitchen; although it does have a bit of a transitional look to it with the counter, floor, and light fixture, the cabinets are a big feature and don't.

I would try painting the backsplash area in the gray color first before taking the plunge. It looks very dim and grayed in there, though the lights aren't on!

Terribly tough decisions!

• ellendi
    10 years ago

You asked us to pick from your choices, but in rethinking, I have to agree with snookums. A creamy light colored would look with the cabinets and the counters.
    For a gray ceramic, check Horus Art.

• frugalnotstingy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the additional votes. :-)

peke, taking baby steps for now.

julie, thanks for posting that! I'll see if there is a local store here that has that.

nobees, thanks for the link! It does look similar to what I have & felt a little down after seeing it. Don't get me wrong... it helped seeing that, I just wasn't too crazy about what I saw. :-(

ellendi, thanks! I'll check it out.

• nobees
    10 years ago

Sorry--didn't mean to get you down of course! I don't think their hardware was that great; I think you can do better.

• frugalnotstingy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

nobees, don't be. It really was a big help! Now that I have an actual pic of what it may look, I can do some more thinking as to how not to have that look - if that makes sense. :-). Except, I don't exactly know what it is in that kitchen that didn't move me... That's the hard part.