Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Are all faucets made in China ...excpet Grohe?

Posted by gowelch (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 2, 08 at 15:54

I am a bit nerous about buying faucets made in China. I have done some research, but found most of the faucets are made in China except Grohe.

I found a name brand "Schon", and love the simple design. Of course, they are made in China as well.

Anything you could sugget?

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
several are not...

I understand your concerns - I have the same ones... We have a Graff faucet made in Europe and it's solid brass and very well made. There was a post about faucet reviews recently - you should search for that.

o
RE: Are all faucets made in China ...excpet Grohe?

My Cifial is made in Portugal (company base is Portugal). Here's the FAQ on Cifial: they make or made Kohler's Kalista faucets before deciding to market under their own name. They are comparable to Grohe pricewise. I really like the feel. I have no idea how it holds up because so far I am missing the minor detail of running water.

o

I found the attached link with a Google search. I have no idea about the reliability of the info there, but it may be helpful to you if you want to explore it.

Here is a link that might be useful: link

o

My Hamat is made in Israel. I dont think I have ever seen any commodity made there. Nice quality!

I also have chinese made products, some are excellent!

o

My Delta faucets were made in Mexico.

Nicole

o

i can't seem to locate that comparitive faucet page that someone linked awhile back, but it listed where each faucet was manufactured. most were not made in china.

my american standard was made in.....america. the united states of, in fact.

o

I have a Mico/Justyna which is made in europe. Pretty pricey but heavy and beautiful.

o

I've been told in some of the stores I've looked in that Rohl is from Italy.

o

As long as you're not planning to lick it, a Chinese faucet should be fine :-)

o

here's the link to the nearly-comprehensive list someone linked a while back. very informative.

Here is a link that might be useful: big list of faucet makers

o

Great link. Wish I had thought of it:-)

o

The link that revans1 references has some worthwhile information, but specifically calls itself an opinion list. The ratings given are based on the writers' experiences as remodelers and builders in Lincoln, Nebraska. Aside from Consumer Reports, there are not good, objective information sources out there. Which is why this forum is so great!

Maybe you could tell us your specific concern. For example, do you prefer to buy American for patriotic reasons, or do you have specific human rights, child labor, environmental, political concerns?

Perhaps if you elaborate on your concern, fellow forum members could help direct you to what suits your needs.
I have a neighbor who won't buy anything from Germany (cars, appliances, food, electronics, etc.).

o

My MGS Progetti is Italian. Love it!

I wonder why Rohl didn't make it on that list?

o

yes, rohl is made in italy. superb quality.

o

Newport Brass faucets are made in U.S.A. They are really great. The only downside is that some of their faucets have long lead times (particularly ones with non-standard finishes). But that's because they're not made in some huge factory in mass quantities.

Here is a link that might be useful: Newport Brass Faucets

o

My Newport Brass #99 Pulldown faucet in stainless steel was ordered and arrived in one week. It is made near my home in Santa Ana, CA.

o

Thanks all so much for sharing your opinion and experiences.

The only concern I have is quality issue. I want somthing very well made, on the other hand, faucet can be replaced anytime. I may have spent too much time worrying about it.

Once again, thanks.

o

My Perrin and Rowe faucets are made in the U.K. The quality is superb.

o

My KWC is from Switzerland. My plumber laughed when he saw the directions in Spanish, German, French, and three other languages but not English. However, it had a diagram and he said it was easy enough to install. I fell in love with it's modern look.

o

lists of italian companies my prefer one:
newform
ponsi
zucchetti
alpi
bonomi

and of course italian quality ;-)

o

The best quality faucets are the heaviest because they have the highest percentage of brass. If you pick up a Barber Wilsons (English) faucet or a Dornbracht (Germany) faucet they are extremely heavy. The lighter the faucet the more plastic it contains.

The other consideration is whether you want a cartridge or go with an old-school brand that doesn't use cartridges. Most brands use them nowadays (easier to replace) even high end ones like Kallista though the high end English brands (Barber Wilsons) do not.

The other thing is the finish. There was a discussion about nickel plating coming off a high end faucet and either the poster mistook tarnish for flaking or there was a definite defect. If you go with something like ORB it's good to check to see if it's a color coating over plastic or actually metal -- that too will be reflected in the price.

I've been on the boards for a long time and you don't see many faucet complaints.

However, of those mentioned on this thread, most are mid-range faucets. KWC is a very high end brand as is Perrin and Rowe/Rohl and priced accordingly. Anything imported right now will likely be more expensive than something made here because of the low dollar so that may be a consideration.

But otherwise, where something is made may not be as important as how it's made and what it's made of.

o

pharaoh (I've never typed that before!) -

I have two Hamat Ergo pull-down faucets and they both have terribly low water pressure! Does your Hamat faucet have low pressure? My plumber says there is no pressure reducer that can be removed and showed me that the same pressure comes from the pull-down hose when he removes the head. He said all European faucets are manufactured with very small intake tubes to reduce the water that can flow through them.

I'm extremely unhappy about this, especially since my Plumbing supply showroom (expensive b/c I wanted the expert advice more than the better prices I could get online!) person told me NOT to get the Newport Brass faucets I was changing my mind for and to stick with the better quality of Hamat!

Has anyone successfully returned an installed faucet? I have a feeling I have to live w/zero water pressure or suck up the cost of replaceing two $500+ faucets! :(

o

smarge,

Yes, my hamat's water pressure is lower than the moen it replaced. The spray works fine when the water is on full volume but does not hold if you turn the water down.

However, after two years of using it, I have gotten used to it and actually prefer the lower pressure/volume. It saves water :) Plus I dont like water splashing around.

You can email them directly. They are pretty good at responding...

o

Giacomo__it-- thanks so much for sharing about Newform. I have just found my all-time favorite kitchen faucet from there. I could not be more excited about it (which, I acknowledge is rather ridiculous)! Their X line and Forma series are just gorgeous. Reminds me a lot of my other love, the Dornbracht Mem series :)

o

I have to say, I'm in love with my KWC and purchased both of them at reasonable prices (in comparison to their standard pricing). The first, Systema high line faucet is gorgeous, but it's too tall for the kitchen unfortunately. So I called KWC and discussed swapping out the components to put in the next model down. They actually helped me shop an internet dealer who could give me a better price on an entire faucet replacement than the parts would have cost for the switch.

So I have an extra Systema available LOL but I also received my new Systema in two days, and look forward to seeing it in place (it's the one in the pic on the link above). Made in Switzerland by chocolate cheese knomes :)

o

Barber Wilsons & Co., Ltd. are made in the United Kingdom. Their customer service in the US is just wonderful. Ms. Sarah Jenkinson has been so helpful in dealing with my plumber when he had questions about the fixtures.

o

i am sure even grohe is now being made in china....the quality of ABS used is not impressive.....recently during my shower the hand shower slipped outa my hands and hit the floor,but not so hard as to cause the seam of the shower to leak....even plastic water pistols are made of better quality plastic...sad.and the new BAU line that has come out of grohe,is aimed at mass market,which they could have done only afteer producing in china..very cheap and affordable for all plus they are also selling on the internet...luxury is compromised and my faith in the company too......but DORNBRACHT looks good...with production entirely in germany....more info anyone???

o

bumping this...

am looking at faucets. Does anyone know if Blanco or Kohler are made in China. Would rather have something US made, but barring that would rather have something non-China made.

o

Made In America's special from ABC says that Moen faucets are Made in U.S.A.
http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/business/2011/10/how-to-build-a-made-in-america-home/

One commenter said to be careful that while the faucets are made in USA, the towel bars are made in China.

According to this site, SOME Delta and SOME Kohler faucets are made in America. http://findusmade.com/Mall/Home_Improvement.htm

American Standard has some products made in America. Please check with each faucet. http://www.americanstandard-us.com/promotions/made-in-usa/

o

I own a Waterstone faucet. All made in the USA

Here is a link that might be useful: Waterstone made in the USA

o

Just adding my 50cents, there is a not so well known faucet producer Gustavsberg (Sweden). I have equipped my home with those. They are really heavy in comparison with Grohe (which I considered then the best of the best) and cost less. Handles are all brass and very sturdy. Ceramic cartridges inside, connected to the handle with a metal rod (very stiff), not a plastic one like in grohe and most other faucets.

Here is a link that might be useful: This tub weighs about 6 kg (I have the same model but chrome color, no aluminum)

o

As a employee from a Chinese sanitary ware company, I have to mention that it seems the handle or other parts of most faucets are made in China. But you guys are still alive.

o

Does anyone have the link to the list of faucets above - this link is not working. Tkx

o

Just thought I'd mention I love my Cifial faucets. Heavy brass and sturdy. My plumber said they were the best/nicest pieces he's ever installed. And without missing parts!

Can't say that about Kohler, as I head off to the store to buy O rings.

o

Ae2ga - it looks like the website has re-designed that page. I will link it.

My big disappointment is their entry for Newport Brass; what was a small high-quality U.S. company has apparently been bought by the enormous Masco, and now their faucets are made in big factories in China, while still using the illustrious Newport Brass name. I have Newport Brass faucets in my bathroom that are 7 years old. They look like the day they were installed, and I remember when the plumber installed them, he commented on their quality and that there was no plastic anywhere, even in the drain assembly. That's too bad about Newport Brass.

The website also says that good ol' Elkay is in the process of moving manufacture to China. Well, there's still the excellent Chicago Faucets made in the U.S., but you won't get much "style" in their faucets, just 30 years of problem-free use.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://starcraftcustombuilders.com/sources.faucets2.htm

o

We purchased a kalia brand faucet made in Canada. Can't post a photo as we're traveling this weekend, but we are very pleased with it. Simple clean lines, and as our plumber said, it's a serious piece of brass! We have the Kalia surfer model.

o

We purchased a kalia brand faucet made in Canada. Can't post a photo as we're traveling this weekend, but we are very pleased with it. Simple clean lines, and as our plumber said, it's a serious piece of brass! We have the Kalia surfer model.

o

Love my Waterstone which is made in the USA.
Thinking of Chicago for our bathroom if I can find a style that I like.
Some other interesting faucet names popped in this link. Looks like surfing time!

o

About that great faucet review by starcraftcustombuilders (linked 3 posts above):

Quite a few of those faucets listed as US or European made are now made in China. :-(

I know because I called countless manufacturers in search of that perfect faucet. For example, all Jado faucets are (none are made in Germany any longer).

o

I had Danze faucets in the half bath. I had it replaced for free because it corroded in less than one year. The second one did the same thing. This year I replaced it with a Moen. Will have to wait and see if it corrodes. We have really crappy water and I think the minerals and salts wreck havoc on them. It doesn't pay to buy expensive faucets, if I have to replace them every five years. I have had three kitchen faucets. Now that the kitchen is getting a facelift, I am unsure of which brand to buy. Oh forgot to mention, I had to replace the less than ten year old Newport Brass faucet in my mother's bathroom because of pitting.

o

We installed Newport Brass in our dream home nine years ago. Using them was the stupidest purchase I've ever made. Two of the fixtures have failed. The last one so far has cost 25k and counting and we are still living in a construction zone nightmare. Here's a link to my original post

Here is a link that might be useful: Newport Brass is expensive garbage with a horrible warranty

o

Apple iPads and imacs are made in china too. The thing you have to know about Chinese products is that there are good quality chinese products and really bad quality chinese products. As long as you are buying a product by a reputable brand, even if it is Made in China, they will maintain high quality. Many faucets now come with lifetime warranty, and if it is a reputable brand that you know will honor the warranty and will not be out of business in 10 years, you have not much to worry about. Why pay 3x more. Also, look for products that are UPC certified. UPC certified products go through a good deal of testing, so they will be of better quality.

o

Well, ethics matter for some, and when given the choice, some people prefer to purchase products made in countries with good social and environmental regulations, which rules out China.

Mid-range and high-end Hansgrohe products still are made in Germany.

Waterworks faucets are made in France by THG.

Most IKEA faucets are now made in Italy by Paini.

Interestingly, IKEA faucets used to be made in China but IKEA relocalized production in EU because they had too many quality problems with their Chinese supplier.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here