Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gowelch_gw

Are all faucets made in China ...excpet Grohe?

gowelch
15 years ago

I am a bit nerous about buying faucets made in China. I have done some research, but found most of the faucets are made in China except Grohe.

I found a name brand "Schon", and love the simple design. Of course, they are made in China as well.

Anything you could sugget?

Thanks

Comments (64)

• friedajune
    15 years ago

Newport Brass faucets are made in U.S.A. They are really great. The only downside is that some of their faucets have long lead times (particularly ones with non-standard finishes). But that's because they're not made in some huge factory in mass quantities.

Here is a link that might be useful: Newport Brass Faucets

• nalcar
    15 years ago

My Newport Brass #99 Pulldown faucet in stainless steel was ordered and arrived in one week. It is made near my home in Santa Ana, CA.

• gowelch
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks all so much for sharing your opinion and experiences.

The only concern I have is quality issue. I want somthing very well made, on the other hand, faucet can be replaced anytime. I may have spent too much time worrying about it.

Once again, thanks.

• mary_in_nc
    15 years ago

My Perrin and Rowe faucets are made in the U.K. The quality is superb.

• neesie
    15 years ago

My KWC is from Switzerland. My plumber laughed when he saw the directions in Spanish, German, French, and three other languages but not English. However, it had a diagram and he said it was easy enough to install. I fell in love with it's modern look.

• giacomo_it
    15 years ago

lists of italian companies my prefer one:
    newform
    ponsi
    zucchetti
    alpi
    bonomi

and of course italian quality ;-)

• rococogurl
    15 years ago

The best quality faucets are the heaviest because they have the highest percentage of brass. If you pick up a Barber Wilsons (English) faucet or a Dornbracht (Germany) faucet they are extremely heavy. The lighter the faucet the more plastic it contains.

The other consideration is whether you want a cartridge or go with an old-school brand that doesn't use cartridges. Most brands use them nowadays (easier to replace) even high end ones like Kallista though the high end English brands (Barber Wilsons) do not.

The other thing is the finish. There was a discussion about nickel plating coming off a high end faucet and either the poster mistook tarnish for flaking or there was a definite defect. If you go with something like ORB it's good to check to see if it's a color coating over plastic or actually metal -- that too will be reflected in the price.

I've been on the boards for a long time and you don't see many faucet complaints.

However, of those mentioned on this thread, most are mid-range faucets. KWC is a very high end brand as is Perrin and Rowe/Rohl and priced accordingly. Anything imported right now will likely be more expensive than something made here because of the low dollar so that may be a consideration.

But otherwise, where something is made may not be as important as how it's made and what it's made of.

• peggross1
    15 years ago

pharaoh (I've never typed that before!) -

I have two Hamat Ergo pull-down faucets and they both have terribly low water pressure! Does your Hamat faucet have low pressure? My plumber says there is no pressure reducer that can be removed and showed me that the same pressure comes from the pull-down hose when he removes the head. He said all European faucets are manufactured with very small intake tubes to reduce the water that can flow through them.

I'm extremely unhappy about this, especially since my Plumbing supply showroom (expensive b/c I wanted the expert advice more than the better prices I could get online!) person told me NOT to get the Newport Brass faucets I was changing my mind for and to stick with the better quality of Hamat!

Has anyone successfully returned an installed faucet? I have a feeling I have to live w/zero water pressure or suck up the cost of replaceing two $500+ faucets! :(

• pharaoh
    15 years ago

smarge,

Yes, my hamat's water pressure is lower than the moen it replaced. The spray works fine when the water is on full volume but does not hold if you turn the water down.

However, after two years of using it, I have gotten used to it and actually prefer the lower pressure/volume. It saves water :) Plus I dont like water splashing around.

You can email them directly. They are pretty good at responding...

• dcclerk
    15 years ago

Giacomo__it-- thanks so much for sharing about Newform. I have just found my all-time favorite kitchen faucet from there. I could not be more excited about it (which, I acknowledge is rather ridiculous)! Their X line and Forma series are just gorgeous. Reminds me a lot of my other love, the Dornbracht Mem series :)

• igloochic
    15 years ago

I have to say, I'm in love with my KWC and purchased both of them at reasonable prices (in comparison to their standard pricing). The first, Systema high line faucet is gorgeous, but it's too tall for the kitchen unfortunately. So I called KWC and discussed swapping out the components to put in the next model down. They actually helped me shop an internet dealer who could give me a better price on an entire faucet replacement than the parts would have cost for the switch.

So I have an extra Systema available LOL but I also received my new Systema in two days, and look forward to seeing it in place (it's the one in the pic on the link above). Made in Switzerland by chocolate cheese knomes :)

• polie
    15 years ago

Barber Wilsons & Co., Ltd. are made in the United Kingdom. Their customer service in the US is just wonderful. Ms. Sarah Jenkinson has been so helpful in dealing with my plumber when he had questions about the fixtures.

• sanat_sachdeva_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

i am sure even grohe is now being made in china....the quality of ABS used is not impressive.....recently during my shower the hand shower slipped outa my hands and hit the floor,but not so hard as to cause the seam of the shower to leak....even plastic water pistols are made of better quality plastic...sad.and the new BAU line that has come out of grohe,is aimed at mass market,which they could have done only afteer producing in china..very cheap and affordable for all plus they are also selling on the internet...luxury is compromised and my faith in the company too......but DORNBRACHT looks good...with production entirely in germany....more info anyone???

• mamadadapaige
    12 years ago

bumping this...

am looking at faucets. Does anyone know if Blanco or Kohler are made in China. Would rather have something US made, but barring that would rather have something non-China made.

• homiha
    12 years ago

Made In America's special from ABC says that Moen faucets are Made in U.S.A.
    http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/business/2011/10/how-to-build-a-made-in-america-home/

One commenter said to be careful that while the faucets are made in USA, the towel bars are made in China.

According to this site, SOME Delta and SOME Kohler faucets are made in America. http://findusmade.com/Mall/Home_Improvement.htm

American Standard has some products made in America. Please check with each faucet. http://www.americanstandard-us.com/promotions/made-in-usa/

• LMM170
    12 years ago

I own a Waterstone faucet. All made in the USA

Here is a link that might be useful: Waterstone made in the USA

• anydoby
    11 years ago

Just adding my 50cents, there is a not so well known faucet producer Gustavsberg (Sweden). I have equipped my home with those. They are really heavy in comparison with Grohe (which I considered then the best of the best) and cost less. Handles are all brass and very sturdy. Ceramic cartridges inside, connected to the handle with a metal rod (very stiff), not a plastic one like in grohe and most other faucets.

Here is a link that might be useful: This tub weighs about 6 kg (I have the same model but chrome color, no aluminum)

• xenoxie
    11 years ago

As a employee from a Chinese sanitary ware company, I have to mention that it seems the handle or other parts of most faucets are made in China. But you guys are still alive.

• ae2ga
    11 years ago

Does anyone have the link to the list of faucets above - this link is not working. Tkx

• CEFreeman
    11 years ago

Just thought I'd mention I love my Cifial faucets. Heavy brass and sturdy. My plumber said they were the best/nicest pieces he's ever installed. And without missing parts!

Can't say that about Kohler, as I head off to the store to buy O rings.

• friedajune
    11 years ago

Ae2ga - it looks like the website has re-designed that page. I will link it.

My big disappointment is their entry for Newport Brass; what was a small high-quality U.S. company has apparently been bought by the enormous Masco, and now their faucets are made in big factories in China, while still using the illustrious Newport Brass name. I have Newport Brass faucets in my bathroom that are 7 years old. They look like the day they were installed, and I remember when the plumber installed them, he commented on their quality and that there was no plastic anywhere, even in the drain assembly. That's too bad about Newport Brass.

The website also says that good ol' Elkay is in the process of moving manufacture to China. Well, there's still the excellent Chicago Faucets made in the U.S., but you won't get much "style" in their faucets, just 30 years of problem-free use.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://starcraftcustombuilders.com/sources.faucets2.htm

• labbie
    11 years ago

We purchased a kalia brand faucet made in Canada. Can't post a photo as we're traveling this weekend, but we are very pleased with it. Simple clean lines, and as our plumber said, it's a serious piece of brass! We have the Kalia surfer model.

• labbie
    11 years ago

We purchased a kalia brand faucet made in Canada. Can't post a photo as we're traveling this weekend, but we are very pleased with it. Simple clean lines, and as our plumber said, it's a serious piece of brass! We have the Kalia surfer model.

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

Love my Waterstone which is made in the USA.
    Thinking of Chicago for our bathroom if I can find a style that I like.
    Some other interesting faucet names popped in this link. Looks like surfing time!

• eleena
    10 years ago

About that great faucet review by starcraftcustombuilders (linked 3 posts above):

Quite a few of those faucets listed as US or European made are now made in China. :-(

I know because I called countless manufacturers in search of that perfect faucet. For example, all Jado faucets are (none are made in Germany any longer).

• karen_ohio
    10 years ago

I had Danze faucets in the half bath. I had it replaced for free because it corroded in less than one year. The second one did the same thing. This year I replaced it with a Moen. Will have to wait and see if it corrodes. We have really crappy water and I think the minerals and salts wreck havoc on them. It doesn't pay to buy expensive faucets, if I have to replace them every five years. I have had three kitchen faucets. Now that the kitchen is getting a facelift, I am unsure of which brand to buy. Oh forgot to mention, I had to replace the less than ten year old Newport Brass faucet in my mother's bathroom because of pitting.

• jacqueline5
    10 years ago

We installed Newport Brass in our dream home nine years ago. Using them was the stupidest purchase I've ever made. Two of the fixtures have failed. The last one so far has cost 25k and counting and we are still living in a construction zone nightmare. Here's a link to my original post

Here is a link that might be useful: Newport Brass is expensive garbage with a horrible warranty

• dennisforman
    10 years ago

Apple iPads and imacs are made in china too. The thing you have to know about Chinese products is that there are good quality chinese products and really bad quality chinese products. As long as you are buying a product by a reputable brand, even if it is Made in China, they will maintain high quality. Many faucets now come with lifetime warranty, and if it is a reputable brand that you know will honor the warranty and will not be out of business in 10 years, you have not much to worry about. Why pay 3x more. Also, look for products that are UPC certified. UPC certified products go through a good deal of testing, so they will be of better quality.

• barthelemy
    10 years ago

Well, ethics matter for some, and when given the choice, some people prefer to purchase products made in countries with good social and environmental regulations, which rules out China.

Mid-range and high-end Hansgrohe products still are made in Germany.

Waterworks faucets are made in France by THG.

Most IKEA faucets are now made in Italy by Paini.

Interestingly, IKEA faucets used to be made in China but IKEA relocalized production in EU because they had too many quality problems with their Chinese supplier.

• PRO
    StarCraft Custom Builders
    7 years ago

@barthelemy

"Mid-range and high-end Hansgrohe products still are made in Germany."

That statement was true in 2013, but things they are a-changin' at Hansgrohe.

Our latest research into Hansgrohe found a growing Chinese component in the manufacture of Hansgrohe faucets.

See the Hansgrohe report at http://starcraftcustombuilders.com/sources.faucets.Hansgrohe.htm

We have also completed our review of Fantini faucets: http://starcraftcustombuilders.com/sources.faucets.Fantini.htm

Regards

• PRO
    Valley Acrylic
    7 years ago

There is nothing wrong with purchasing faucets made in China. The trick is to purchase from a wholesaler when ever you can, and buy a name brand faucet. Name brand faucets have better quality control and accountability, you will also be able to find parts in 10 years if required unlike the no name faucets.

big box stores will often sell a "lesser" version of a name brand faucet. This will tend to be lower in gpm, does not seem like much but it make a difference when you fill a tub with 4-5 gpm vs. 6-7 gpm . The "lesser" version will also tend to have more plastic and less metal content.

Customers like to shop online where they can see a picture and a price, a lot to be said for going to a proper showroom, getting good advice and a quality product. You may pay a bit more but will not generally have to return the faucet as it was not as expected because you did see it and your showroom consultant will ensure you have the correct faucet to pair with your sink of choice.

It's not just about the pretty shiny things, what you don't see is equally important as what you do see.

Genny

• nosoccermom
    7 years ago

Some of the Hansgrohe PARTS are made in China, but assembly is in Germany.

• Ellie RK
    7 years ago

We purchased Hansgrohe as part of our renovation last year. According to the Hansgrohe dealer, they're made in Germany.

Still not comfortable to read any parts are made in China, as I try to stay away from Chinese made products.

• PRO
    Mid-Atlantic Tile Kitchen and Bath
    6 years ago

Jaclo faucets are all made in America. They are all brass construction and have 26 finishes that are all done in their New Jersey plant. They are high quality and when you call customer service you actually speak with someone in New Jersey.

• PRO
    Universal Plumbing Supply
    4 years ago

California Faucets are in fact made in California. Most Delta & Brizo faucets are made in Indiana, USA. Most Toto toilets are made in the US I'm not sure about the faucets. Hansgrohe faucets are made mostly in Germany and the US. Always remember you get what you pay for....

• PRO
    4 years ago

Jaclo faucets are assembled and finished in New Jersey, but the components and parts that go into the faucets are, with rare exception, manufactured in China, Taiwan and India. These are not "Made in U.S.A." faucets, but they are "Assembled in U.S.A."

California Faucet are likewise "Assembled in U.S.A" from components and parts made in China, Italy, Germany and Hungary. California Faucets is a funner up for Best Value mide-priced faucets made or assembled in North America for 2019 and are, in the opinion of our researchers, a good value in a reliable, well-made faucet.

For more information see California Faucets Review and Rating and 2019 Best Value Faucets. We have not yet completed our review and rating report on Jaclo faucets by Durst Corporation, Inc.

• PRO
    Mid-Atlantic Tile Kitchen and Bath
    4 years ago

I work with and sell Jaclo. American made and assembled in New Jersey. All brass construction, family owned, 26 finishes all done in-house making them an awesome product to work with as a designer. Their customer service is unmatched. Price points are great since we buy direct from Jaclo and not through a distributor. In many cases the standard finishes like Chrome, Satin Nickel and Polished Nickel cost less than Moen from a plumbing supply.

• PRO
    Rachiele Custom Sinks
    4 years ago

Sorry to correct, but I believe California faucets are actually made in China and assembled in California. There is a loophole in the California law that allows them to say they are made in "California" because most of the work is done there - assembly and finishing. That being said, they are a great company and I have quite a bit of their products in my home.

Waterstone, on the other hand, is 100% made in the USA. The only imported part is the ceramic internal disk - which those in the know are best purchased in Germany I believe.

• JH Ag
    4 years ago

To clarify and be completely accurate, California Faucets are not in any way "Made in China". As stated in the Starcraft review, and from my own personal experience (I have worked extensively with the company), components are sourced worldwide per California's Faucet's design and specs. In addition to Starcraft's above list, components are also sourced from USA, Canada, and also machined in-house at the California factory.

Components purchased from China actually constitute a small percentage in varying degree for any particular CF faucet; any many do not contain any Chinese parts at all.

They also use the top-of-the-line German ceramic disc cartridges for their valving.

• PRO
    4 years ago

JHG is corrent.

My post above re California Faucets should have identified "Taiwan, Italy, German, and Hungary" as the sources of California Faucets' parts and components. Its primary source is Taiwan. China suppliesCalifornia Faucets with some fittings and accessories, but none appear to be faucet parts. Apologies for the misstatement.

We are aware that California Faucets does minor machining in house, but this does not in any way detract from our assessment that the company is an Assembler, not a Manufacturer of faucets. Most Assemblers do some minor machining. See, e.g. WaterMark.

The company uses German cartridges in its two handled faucets and Hungarian cartridges in its single handle faucets. Both suppliers manufacture excellent cartridges.

• darbuka
    4 years ago

You resurrected this old thread...to tell us that? 🙄 As if the readers here, and everywhere in the US, don’t know that China is a communist government?? Sheesh!

• PRO
    4 years ago

That sort of statement would be better posted on a political talk board. This one is for issues with bathrooms. Unless, of course, you have something to share about Chinese bathrooms.

• hellfire999
    3 years ago

Chinese products suck. Expect product failure of some sort within 6 mnths on any Chinese component. And yes, even Apple products have gone down in quality since being mass produced in China. I no longer hold Apple up as “exceptional”.

• PRO
    Lee Dufour Consulting
    3 years ago

Finally replacing our downstairs bathroom 34-yo Kohler widespread 3-hole 2-handle faucet since cannot find parts to repair it. Thought that looking for higher-priced Kohler would be the way to go, however, on faucets.com I see a review of a higher-priced Kohler purchased 3 times and still had manufacturing flaw where it leaked from the center. Any good experiences to share on recently-purchased similar bathroom faucets?

• PRO
    Rachiele Custom Sinks
    3 years ago

@Lee Dufour Consulting I have a company to refer that likely has the parts to your faucet. GIve them a call or look on their website. They were able to get me parts for a company that had been out of business for over a decade. New York Replacement Parts Corp.

• PRO
    CabAve
    3 years ago

Hi there,

We have seen homeowners purchase Kohler faucets. They're a great brand, our owners have their faucet in their bathroom at home. They're based in Kohler, Wisconsin. Hope this helps!

• Steph H
    3 years ago

We have the Grohe Bridgeford faucet. I think it’s made in Germany. We’ve had it for a year and are happy with it.

• PRO
    Aida Sanitary Ware
    2 years ago

The quality of faucets are not decided by where to produce, it depends on cost. If those brands have lower target price, then the product is not so good. If the faucet brand wants to earn more money, they have to lower down the cost.

• Trieste Woods-Raisch
    2 years ago

Most Delta faucets are manufactured in the US with a smattering of chinese parts, their designer line Brizo is manufactured in the US with a smattering of European parts. Hansgrohe are manufactured in the US. More expensive Grohe faucets are manufactured in Germany. California Faucets are manufactured in California for the most part. Newport Brass is US made with a smattering of European parts.

Note to self if you purchase it on the internet and have never heard of the brand its garbage.

As for Kohler and Moen....go to any plumbing supply house and ask them what brands they sell more parts for and those are the two names they will say. In fact, Kohler gives out our phone number for people to call for repair parts because even Kohler can't purchase aftermarket parts and or the faucet is so old, they can't identify it.

• Lars
    12 months ago
    last modified: 12 months ago

Here's some info on Hansgrohe.

They have manufacturing sites in Germany, France (Alsace), USA, and China, and it appears that they Chinese site was started in order to sell to the Chinese market, just as the American site was started for the American market.

This is the faucet I bought February 2022 for my kitchen reno, but it cost more like $750, as I remember, and I thought that was expensive.

Cathedral City Kitchen · More Info

I guess mine is an older version because the button on the top switches to spray and is not an on/off switch. Anyway, I am very happy with it, and I have Hansgrohe faucets in all of my bathrooms also.

Note: You used to be able to see photos from my projects, but now you cannot.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH