Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
loves2cook4six

HELP!!! My sink is falling down off the granite

loves2cook4six
14 years ago

Our kitchen was finished in late 2007 - less than 2 years ago.

I was cleaning out the sink today and felt water dripping on my toes!!!!

The sink is separating from the granite counter top. In other words the glue or caulk or whatever hold it together is DISINTEGRATING

The granite company is theoretically out of business, but the phone is being answered by another company also working with granite and most of the people are the same. Seems like the head guy who did my cutting and templating is now the new owner. Don't know what happened to the original owner but I am going to try and find him.

I am worried the sink is going to come crashing down on the cabinet, garbage disposer and hot water tank

HELP!! How do I shore it up. What's the next step?

Comments (24)

• Fori
    14 years ago

Get a stack of books in a garbage bag to hold it up?

(I might want to get someone ELSE to fix it, if you know what I mean!)

Good luck!

• remodelfla
    14 years ago

loves2... take a pic and post it for us. It may be a good idea to also post it on the building forum. What kind of sink is it?

• loves2cook4six
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks fori - your post made me laugh out loud!! I'd do that except that kitchen remodel drained us flat broke along with sending a kid off to college and if I can get it done under warranty so to speak, that's going to be my first line of defense

Thanks remodelfla. Its a silgranite sink and it's HEAVY.

I just got a call from the "new" company. They are going to fix it and they are going to be out here on Thursday morning to fix it. Originally it was going to be in two weeks but they changed their minds when I mentioned at that point they may also be buying me a new sink, GD and Hot water dispenser [[GRINN]]

So now I guess I need to know what to look for when they fix it? You know, to make sure they are doing it correctly.

Oh and the best... the receptionist told me the glue does weaken within a couple of years. Someone please tell me that's a load of hogwash or else I might do someone serious bodily harm for convincing me to get an undermount.

I'll be cross posting over in Building as well. Thanks for that.

So here's the seam separating

and this is what's holding it up on either side for now and hopefully it's enough

I put a HUGE cutting board over the sink to remind everyone not to use it. Thank goodness we can use the prep sink in the meantime.

• weedmeister
    14 years ago

Why do I have a feeling that there is nothing under this heavy sink to support it?

• loves2cook4six
    Original Author
    14 years ago

So you don't think resting on the edges of the cabinet are enough?

Yikes, off to wedge a kitchen chair under there as well

• stonegirl
    14 years ago

It is a little puzzling - from your pictures it appears as though the sink is resting on blocking screwed into the sides of the cabinet. Does it have any other form of support such as brackets or screws in place?

It is really difficult to say what went wrong there without seeing the installation in person.

It is true that silicone does not last forever in sink joints. That is why relying on silicon alone when attaching any kind of sink is just wrong. It does appear that they attempted additional bracing, though.

If I were called to this job, I would do the following:

1. Dig out all the old silicone and clean up the area. Could be tricky if the sink is in place, but it can be done.
    2. Re-apply a bead of silicone in between the sink and stone and pull tight with an adjustable clamp.
    3. Add additional blocking/supports under the sink before removing the adjustable clamp.

There are more than one way to skin a cat, so to speak, and I am glad the company is standing behind their product somewhat. Give them the opportunity to fix it.
  • debo_2006
    14 years ago

My granite installer warned me that I'd have to get the sink re-caulked in a few years because it doesn't last. So, remembering that I'm always checking my silicon caulk for holes, disinigration or any other damage. I'm glad he gave me the heads up because I wouldn't have known otherwise.

• bluekitobsessed
    14 years ago

This defect came up in some of my clients' houses last year. My expert's repair was to brace it better (I believe there is a specific set of clips that can be used). I'm sorry that I can't be specific about the clips to use.

FWIW, the caulking ends up being a haven for mold growth, so don't be shy about using bleach. Also, a plywood platform might be a good idea if your sink is heavy (silgranit type?).

Blue

• loves2cook4six
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Stonegirl, would you remove the countertop, add the plywood base and put it all back or will that damage the cabinets?

What you see is what you get so to speak. I can't see any screws or clips in there. It's the same on the other side. Looks like a wood brace and something metal. At least I hope its metal and not plastic.

What is scaring me half to death right now is my precariously (or it will be if the glue disintegrates) balanced floating bar done by the same company.

Please tell me the glue they used on that would be different from the caulk used on the sink. Also the bar rests on supports which are screwed into a pony wall anchored to the floor all designed to support 500 lbs of granite. There's no stress on that join like there would be with the sink and gravity, right?

Off to check the prep sink as well

• rococogurl
    14 years ago

Yikes Ilana -- get a stool in there or something to hold it as you don't want the weight of the sink to damage the drainpipe -- be sure they check the drain afterwards.

See if they can uninstall the sink without damaging the sink or counter, then devise some type of bracing system to reinstall. It's tricky though, as stonegirl suggests.

Fingers crossed for you!

• stonegirl
    14 years ago

You do not have to remove the sink top - there are after-market brackets available for such situations. There are a few other "improvised" ways to fix the sink that would pass muster too. It should not be a big disruption in your kitchen, bar the fact that you might have to lay off using the sink while the new glue and caulk set up.

Do you have a picture of your floating bar set-up?

• loves2cook4six
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks E1 and especially stone girl. The help during crises is appreciated beyond belief.

Dh is shoring up the sink as we speak with wooden braces. TG he's a woodworker and there is more wood laying around here then he usually knows what to do with.

Oh boy, he just yelled that there is water coming out the instant hot water tank. But I think he can take care of that without me - his turn :)

Here's a picture of the bar.

Please let me know if you need more info, other views, anything. I just need to know it's safe.

• Buehl
    14 years ago

Let us know what's happening w/the tank as well! Can you tell if it's related to the "falling" sink?

On a different note, is that a Manhandle® I see on the pullout next to your ovens? Cool! I've wanted to get one for my kitchen but *sigh* too expensive...I can't justify it right now! Hey, is that another one on the range hood?!

Here is a link that might be useful: Sóko Manhandles collection

• seaglass7
    14 years ago

loves2cook4six--just wanted to add that it is definitely possible to remove the silgranite sink without damaging the countertops or cabs. My new silgranite sink was damaged by the floor guys who poured poly in the sink and then tried to remove it with sandpaper. Just as stonegirl says, the granite folks dug out the old caulk, removed the support, disconnected the drains, etc, pulled the sink out thru the bottom of the cab and put the new one in the same way (which of course won't be necessary since it's the same sink in your case). No damage to the granite or cabs.

The only tricky parts seemed to be supporting the granite seam at the sink (one guy basically held that seam during the entire process) and the fit thru the cab base was very tight. They ended up cutting the drain pipe in my case and then replumbing the drain pipe. The entire job took 3 guys about 3-4 hours, but mostly because the seal was so hard to break, which is the opposite of your problem.

I was really nervous about the whole process, but it worked out great in the end. I'm sure yours will be ok. HTH.

• loves2cook4six
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Buehl, very observant. yes that is a Manhandle and I love him to death. His bum is getting quite the shiny spot ;-)

Found him on eBay and couldn't resist. They do show up there every now and again. I have them on search.

He was a total splurge, even there, but well worth it.

The little guy on top of the hood is made from nuts and bolts and is playing the clarinet.

Dh turned off the water. When they come to fix the sink, they can look at that as well. Hope we don't need a plumber

• weedmeister
    14 years ago

That is really pretty!

• cat_mom
    14 years ago

Ilana, no advice I'm afraid, but wanted to say how lousy it is that it's happening. Hope all goes well and that it will soon be even better than new.

Good luck!!!

• amyms
    14 years ago

Do you mind me asking what combo of granite and sink you have? It looks like antique brown and I was just wondering what colour your sink was. Your kitchen is gorgeous!

• eks6426
    14 years ago

loves2cook--So sorry this has happened to you. I hope your granite people get it right this time. If not, I noticed your cabinets are AYR. Are you in northern Indiana? AYR is in Nappanee IN. If you need a new granite guy, I can recommend one from South Bend. Good luck!

• stonegirl
    14 years ago

Hi loves2cook -

Some of the big reasons silicone fails at sink joints are constant moisture and loads of transmitted vibrations from the use of the sink and the garbage disposal. Sometimes the installers are not really careful about cleaning the stone prior to adhering the sink either, and the dustiness on the back of the granite adds to the failure.

A raised bar, even though it is more massive than the sink, is not subject to nearly as much agitation, and is pretty much a stationary object. The glue should be all right there.

That said - I would just ask the stone guys while they are there to double check for adhesion on the bar top. If they find it loose or wobbly, they could fix it immediately. If it is still solid, great! Either way you'll have peace of mind.

You have a lovely kitchen!

• loves2cook4six
    Original Author
    14 years ago

amyms, the granite is Maron Cohona and it might go by Antique brown as well depending on the country of origin. I love the fissures and cracks that are an inherent part of this granite but many people who see it don't. I would highly recommend that you ask to see the slab horizontally before you purchase it. The sink is Blanco's silgranite in anthracite.

eks6426, we're in north western Illinois. AYR did do our cabinets. If you need recommendations, I can absolutely, definitely give them the highest of high praises. I am picky and I'm sure I'm hard to work with/for but I got everything I asked for without a single "it can't be done". FABULOUS people. And for those further away, they do ship worldwide.

Stonegirl, thanks for all the advice. The guys just left. Here's what I found out.

The sink was installed with JUST CAULK and those wooden brackets.

When the guys were here there was quite a bit of back and forth over what to do and a few phone calls to the shop.

Turns out there WERE keyholes cut for the bolts needed for installation and the original installers didn't use them for whatever reason.

So now I have the sink glued in place with silicone AND bracketed there with clips. They had to cut 4x14" pieces from the side of the cabinet to get to the bolts as the sink is a VERY tight fit in the cabinet. Fortunately neither side is visible as the sink is in between a draw stack and the dishwasher.

I had them check the prep sink, which was bolted in place - go figure - and the bar which they said was absolutely secure.

Here are some shots of what they did. If you can, would you tell me if this is secure, in your opinion only, of course. I mean, I look at it and see the CORNERS of 4 small clips suspending this sink which could potentially weigh over 300 pounds when filled with water.

Thanks again for all your help

• footballmom
    14 years ago

I wonder if they consulted with the cabinet shop too. If I am remembering correctly, cutting into the cabinets voids the warranty. I hope one of the CKD pops in. I know if you mess with the integrity of a KM cabinet, especially for a sink, it does void the warranty. It looks much more secure though....

• PRO
    ABC Stone Inc.
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Definitely it's due to improper installation. From the bottom side there should be drilled holes or cut grooves into stone, then screws glued with epoxy, and sink installed on a brackets.

Sinks installation and repair.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH