Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
katieob_gw

Here we go again....

katieob
12 years ago

Hi all~

I'm hoping some of you remember me and my plight.

I'm really excited because we found a house in a great location and we are renovating before moving in. The kitchen will be part of the expansion, so starting from scratch. I'll be asking a lot of questions (again) so thanks in advance for bearing with me!

This kitchen will be smaller and on a stricter budget (no 5cm calacatta this go round, but lots of kids on the street-my, how priorities shift). Probably a little more cottage in style than the last kitchen. The house is a shingled, modified Cape built in 1940.

Some things I'm hoping for~ Inset, white (cream, maybe?) cabs, less uppers/more windows, upper cabs with glass doors and brackets, same hardware as before, soapstone perimeter and maybe walnut island.

Here's the single photo I'm currently loving:

First question: The architect's early sketch has the range in the corner. I'm open to anything. Opinions? Anyone have photos of this IRL? Boxerpups?

I can't get SharB's photos to open. This probably means cabinetry as a hood and no ModernAire ):

I'll be back with lots of questions as things progress. I'm glad to be back!

Thanks for reading.

Katie

Comments (28)

• tamihs13
    12 years ago

so glad you're back. best of luck to you

• desertsteph
    12 years ago

post kitchen layout

• remodelfla
    12 years ago

I'm sad about the 5cm marble. Boy... some buyer is going to be a lucky duck!! It'll be fun to help you katie. Range in the corner... you mean angled right?

• plllog
    12 years ago

Hi Katie! Excellent news that you've found such a good house. Your plans for the kitchen sound cute, and like they should look natural in the house. :)

If you mean the side of the range will be against a wall, that can be a problem. I've had similar to that with a freestanding, which was fine, but there were about 8" between the stove and the wall, so there was room for pot handles and elbows. My current cooktop is about 12" from a corner of the counter, and that works fine. Lot's of nice space either side.

If you mean the range angled in the corner, that kind of thing can make me a bit queasy. I have an angled sink in the master bath, but the aisle is angled too, so it's not so bad. In general, it's a lot nicer to work with straight, open runs of landing space next to you.

I agree with Steph. Post a layout. :)

• gardenamy
    12 years ago

Welcome back! I'm sure your new kitchen will be even better than the last (not sure how but I know you can pull it off)! Love the walnut island idea...and you had calcutta..so time to try the soapstone!

• brickton
    12 years ago

Katie- I'm psyched to get to see another kitchen from you. I wanted to chime in with the source of your photo. It's from "for the love of a house" blog.

(click for link to kitchen post)

The kitchen, the master bath, the barn... okay the whole house is worth checking out. The writer of the blog (Joan, maybe?) helped me out when I asked for specific details on her trim so I wanted to make sure she got credit for the photo/kitchen. I've seen it pop up a lot uncredited and that's just a shame in that it deprives people seeing the rest of the gorgeous house.

• rhome410
    12 years ago

A great inspiration choice...and it sounds just right for the house style. A range in the corner (angled) uses a LOT of room...So it has to have some amazing pluses, or the room has to really call for it to be the best option, IMO...But no way to judge without seeing the layout. Welcome back!

• juliet3
    12 years ago

Given how gorgeous your last kitchen was, I am eager to watch this kitchen evolve. One question though - you mentioned your kitchen will be smaller, and you will have fewer uppers. Are you certain you want to go with inset cabinets? The loss of storage space with inset, particularly in drawers, is significant. I think inset cabinets are beautiful, but so are frameless, if made by a good manufacturer. You will get much more usable storage with frameless. Just wanted to mention it...

• blfenton
    12 years ago

What size of kitchen are you dealing with that the range has to be in a corner? Love the inspiration pic.

• ironcook
    12 years ago

welcome back! i made a joke recently about having to move so i can do another kitchen. will have to do it vicariously through you.

if you meant a range up against a wall, there are a few of them on GW. hungryheart comes to mind just now, but there are others. i think she said it was a structural issue.

agree with plllog's post about it. :)

this is exciting! your inspiration picture is beautiful. have fun!

Here is a link that might be useful: hungryheart's kitchen

• friedajune
    12 years ago

Like others have asked, can you explain more what you meant by range in the corner? I am thinking of Histokitch's kitchen, where the range is almost against the wall in the corner, but she put 15" of counter between the range and the wall (not to mention the to-die-for Julia-Child-inspired pegboard). She also has the Modernaire barrel hood. I'll link her kitchen.

You also mentioned you couldn't open the pics of Sharb's kitchen. I'll link that too.

Sharb's Kitchen

• marcolo
    12 years ago

That inspiration pic brickton posted seems a tad twee in a '40s house, I think. Maybe it's the brackets, or the style of them.

IIRC a corner range occupies 48" of wall space on each side. So it needs a big kitchen. The look is quite nice, though.

• harrimann
    12 years ago

I once lived in a house built in 1940 that still had the original cabinets and counters, and the inspiration photo looks very similar. No brackets. The counters were wood.

• cardamon
    12 years ago

Hi Katieob, so glad that you found a house you like and with a neighborhood that has kids. It is so important that kids have kids around. And they will be running through your house and in your kitchen! Anxious to see how your kitchen progresses. You have great style and I know it will be a great place for you and your family. Congratulations and best of luck and much fun planning it all.

• marthavila
    12 years ago

Great to see you back here, Katie! Although I don't have any advice to give you re the angled range, I'm already loving your inspiration photo and basic wish list. This is gonna be fun, I know! Bring it! :-)

• brianadarnell
    12 years ago

Katie- so glad I will be around for this one. I loved your old kitchen and I know this one will be just as amazing! yay!

• slush1422
    12 years ago

Your last kitchen was an inspiration to me - so I can't wait to see what you do this time.

• cangelmd
    12 years ago

Katie, we have a cooktop in the corner with drawers underneath, it has worked really well for us. A few very old pictures are in the Finished Kitchens Blog, under my screen name.

• kateskouros
    12 years ago

hey katie! whatever it is, it will be beautiful i'm sure!

i think a corner range would feel a little tight for me, but definitely post a layout. i can't wait to follow your new project. and i guarantee yours will be done before mine. :*(

• flwrs_n_co
    12 years ago

Katie, welcome back! I remember when you posted your kitchen--I was in awe! It sounds like you found a wonderful house in a fun neighborhood. Can't wait to see your layout and watch your progress on what I'm sure will be another fantastic kitchen!

• elizpiz
    12 years ago

Welcome back! I so love your old kitchen but I'll bet your new one will be just as fab. Good luck - can't wait to see the progress.

Eliz

• vidyaram
    12 years ago

KatieOb:
    Yours was an inspiration kitchen to so many of us. I loved it. This inspiration pic looks great too. Reminds me a little bit of Barefoot Contessa's old kitchen which I love too. Good luck!
    Sorry to be off Ttopic here. I have never seen SharB's kitchen and love her kitchen and the backsplash. Do any of you have any idea what her kitchen's bs is? Thanks in advacne. Itlooks like Mother of Pearl to me. I would be thankful if someone can name the tile manufacturer's name.

• shelayne
    12 years ago

Good to see you back! I am looking forward to seeing progress on your new kitchen!

Your inspiration photo is lovely!

• pricklypearcactus
    12 years ago

One of my favorite inspiration kitchens: ni_2006's kitchen has a range in a corner. Clearly the look and materials are completely different, but at least you can see a picture of an actual range placed in a corner.

• katieob
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi all~

Thanks so much for your warm welcome back and your encouragement!

Brickton~ Thank you, I totally should have credited that photo. Joan's home is AMAZING and she deserves the recognition!

Thanks to all of your info, I've nixed the corner angled range. I love how it looks in the kitchens linked, but our kitchen won't be very big and it seemed complicated.

Now I'm wondering if cabinets with brackets need a beadboard backsplash or if I can use the crackle tiles I had in my old kitchen.......It's good to be back and obsessing over these things:)

• aokat15
    12 years ago

Katie - one of my favorite all-time movie kitchens... and actually kitchens in general... is the kitchen from the movie Somethings Gotta Give. It has white inset cabinets, soapstone, glass upper cabinets with brackets, and simple white subway tile. It's gorgeous. So I think you can't go wrong with beadboard or white subways! Happy planning!!

• beekeeperswife
    12 years ago

HI Katie! Good to see you are back and ready to do this again!!

Regarding your latest questions about the subways, I think they would look great! Why not? They are rather traditional since they have been around for a long time, so I think they would look quite appropriate in your kitchen. And I think it would be so nice to be able to bring something from your old kitchen into your new kitchen's design.

Do you have any photos for us to start looking at? You know how we are...we love any and all visual aids! Even if it is a space that is going to be totally gutted. lol

Looking forward to this project!

• plllog
    12 years ago

Katie, you can definitely use the brackets with tile. I've seen it (not your crackle, but nice tiles), and it looks fine. You have two choices: Decorative brackets that are stuck lightly with something like silicone to the tiles, or "real" brackets that are screwed into the tile. Actually, there are probably other ways of doing it too, including just letting them hang from the cabinet, but it really will look fine. If you want to get very fancy, you can also tile around the brackets. A lot of work, but a very built-in look.

Sponsored
Urban Upkeep LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars6 Reviews
Franklin County's High Quality Painting Expert