Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
In-law Apt Kitchenette??

Posted by zeitgast (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 15, 13 at 15:47

Hi All

Found this UK company and another in PA that makes these armoire based kitchenettes. Need to put a small kitchen into a small in law apt and thought this would work pretty well.

This version has induction hobs and is about 1/2 the price of the PA company's product even considering shipping costs.

This requires an electrical conversion kit and I imagine that appliance service could be dubious.

Would be interested in people's thoughts? Is this worth it (~$5k) or is it better/cheaper to do a small Ikea job? Other thoughts/concerns?

http://www.culshawbell.co.uk/completekitchenette.html

Here is a link that might be useful: Uk kitchenette

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: In-law Apt Kitchenette??

It's really cute, but you could make something much more functional for much less money going with IKEA.

o

Well, I think that is pretty darn cool. If we ever get around to building an apt above a second garage to use as guest space, something like that would be perfect for guests.

I agree you can do something more functional from IKEA--you'd get more useful space for less money. But I really do like that!

o

If your in-laws are getting up in age having the fridge so low could be a problem with constant bending. Agree with raenjapan probably could get for less

o

Ideleted (double post)

This post was edited by CAGiselle on Sat, Jun 15, 13 at 21:07

o

I think maybe you've been looking at the wrong part of yestertec's site. They have a bunch of pre-built standard models that are much less than their regular units.

As for the British company, remember that if their appliances don't have UL ratings, you could have major problems with your insurance co. (Someone in the appliances forum worked around this to import a European induction cooktop when the options available in this country were much more limited, but IIRC, the paperwork was pretty significant.) There may also be code issues regarding clearances and such that would not be able to be worked around in the US.

This post was edited by writersblock on Sat, Jun 15, 13 at 23:27

o

Oh, meant to say that if you google 'stealth kitchens' you'll find a few other US options, too.

But it's true you can do it yourself, too. Here's an example of a similar kitchen in a Manhattan studio, only without doors. Nate Berkus also did one, but I'm too lazy to look for it--I think it may be on Oprah's website.

Here is a link that might be useful: manhattan studio kitchen

This post was edited by writersblock on Sat, Jun 15, 13 at 22:47

o

AJ Madison and others sell "compact kitchens" similar to that, but not concealed. You could build them into a niche to close off when not in use though, depending on code in your area.

o

Just a note that the real reason yestertec has so much of the market for this sort of thing is because of their switching mechanism which prevents the appliances being turned on with the doors closed.

IIRC (I looked into these quite a bit when I was considering buying/renovating a little fisherman's cottage, but that was a while ago), they have a patent for their device, but I presume a clever electrician should be able to find a way to create something that does the same thing. It would definitely be required if you use doors.

I would suggest talking to an electrician about what your local codes allow.

o

Small Kitchenettes I found on Houzz:

Here is a link that might be useful: Kitchenettes

o

Reminds me of the "original" Murphy kitchen I saw the other day on a great kitchen blog kbculture.com

Here is a link that might be useful: The Original Murphy Kitchen

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here