Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
remodelfla

Is this my layout? I listened to everything...

remodelfla
15 years ago

Too many layouts and threads to refer back too. For those who have followed, here's what I changed.

1. Placed oven under the counter and Advantium above extending prep space to 5'.

2. On the island; scooted the 36" cab across from DW over so I could curve the overhang. I wanted to increase space between the island and 5' cab run on the south west corner.

3. Angled the 24" cab in the island so I could increase space between island and frig.

4. Curved the island overhang

5. If I can't shorten the 5' wall on the south west corner I figured I could shorten the message center to 4' long and leave it or end with 12' deep shelves facing out. I thought that between the curved island end and that it would open the space up.

OK... I'm all yours... give me what ya' got!

Comments (73)

• rhome410
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I didn't want to be rude and say, "Who cares where hubby likes the fridge?" but hoped you'd know what I meant... Sounds like you understood. ;-)

This seems to be making more sense. When I have time I will do it up on my software so we can see the 3D and make sure it all works to scale. It's easier for others here, I think, when we can see the grid lines... I hope then that we'll get lots of feedback, because if anyone else on this thread is like me, we're getting a little rummy and we may need some fresh eyes to give it a look.

• remodelfla
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I think it's making sense as well. I must have spent 12 hours on this today. OH.. in answer to your question. The architect is doing structural, plumbing, electrical, and mechanical plans. He's coming over Wednesday awaiting my kitchen plans to help me with them. I'm sure he'll draw them up for me as part of the plumbing electrical component. He was so much more reasonable then I had expected and very very accessible. He said he figures he'll be meeting with me once a week until we're done tweaking. Can't wait to see your 3D and thank you for that. It helps so much.
    Elyse

• jayne s
    15 years ago

I'm coming in a bit late on this but at some point, with my layout planning, I started mentally picturing what I'd be keeping in different cabinets (of course, a lot of that has changed now that the kitchen is installed but it was still a good exercise.) My old kitchen was a nightmare in terms of storage/access and I wanted to be sure I wasn't creating a new nightmare.

Basically, I'm suggesting that you mentally "use" the cabinets and "walk" around the kitchen doing things.
    I know that the refrigerator is a biggie but along with the refrigerator, you might need to figure out where the drinking glasses, etc. are going to be.

It might be worth thinking about what will go in some of the cabinets you are setting up now. (Dishes/cutlery going in cabinet near dishwasher or will you be needing to walk around the island?)

jayne

• remodelfla
    Original Author
    15 years ago

jayne... isn't there some movie about a kid that gets zapped into a video game and lives in cyberspace? That's exactly what I felt like today! I did exactly as you suggested just stared at the monitor envisioning using the kitchen and how it would work. I'll take your suggestion and figure what goes where once I'm sure of my appliance placement. Roughly, I can figure most dishes/glasses on sink wall, cooking stuff in island, coffee maker/mugs by frig. No point in my trying to "hide" the coffee maker behind a door or anything. DH would never keep up with it and he's the only one who makes/drinks coffee.
    Thanks for your input!

• jayne s
    15 years ago

You're welcome.

With respect to the coffee-maker, here's a way to get totally obsessed....

Hope this won't make you crazy but these are some of the things that I realized as I was putting my coffee-maker on the counter. After crossing the kitchen a zillion times to make coffee in my old kitchen, it's a pleasure to take 2 steps to the sink to fill the carafe, toss the old filter into the trash drawer next to the sink, make coffee, take a mug from above, a spoon from below and some milk from the nearby refrigerator.

Here's what we didn't think about:
    steam from the coffee-maker or adding water. It's not a big deal to pull the coffee-maker forward on the counter and I don't think there's anything I would have planned differently and this is way way better than what I had before but it's weird the things you just don't think about. (And we all have them.....)
    jayne

• rhome410
    15 years ago

I'm finally back. I tried to get a little more out of the island for you...36" drawers facing both sides. I don't know if you'll like it, but I tried. I also don't know how you want to arrange the beverage fridge/desk/banquette area. Seems like too much for that space, unless you have a vision I'm not even close to. Anyway, here's a first try on this latest plan.

• remodelfla
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'm actually sitting at the dentist's office waiting to go in right now! I'm so glad for this to concentrate on instead of dental surgery. Layout looks great...I was trying to do a 3D layout before I left home but am no where near as capable as you. Hubby wants the bev frig out on the patio... which makes sense. We've done that at our current home. I think I'm just going to do an L-shaped banquette just lengthening the right side and a computer/message. The computer center doesn't need to be big since we both use laptops. I even store the printer there cause we hardly use it. Just take it out for the once in a blue moon we'll use it. My last layout shows antoher error with the right side 36" end cab on the island facing the wrong way. I fixed it on the 3D I'm trying to do as you did. Do you think I can squeeze antoher 6" in length out by changing the end cab to 36" and reducing the sink cab from 24" to 18" netting 6" more in length?

Oh man... they just came to get my mask. They have to give me gas to give me novacaine. I'm that much of a baby.
    Looks beautiful to me rhome. Will just have to tweak details here and there. Any other eyes out there see something I dont'?

• scootermom
    15 years ago

What is the clearance between the small beverage fridge and the end of the island? In rhome's last drawing it looks a little tight.

Also, I confess that I haven't followed the entire journey in detail, but I've been looking at this last set of drawings (yours and rhome's). Are you sure you want the main kitchen sink and the dishes on the other side of the room across the island? Forgive me if you've already addressed the reasons for this -- I thought I read above that you were thinking of prepping in the main sink and having the small prep sink be more for handwashing or occasional tasks.

As rhome said, you have to decide what's best for your family and your style, so maybe this stuff won't bug you as much as it would me. But I'll share my thoughts so you can hopefully confirm with great confidence that it all works for you. Will it bother you to have the dishes & DW all the way across the island and have a more complex sorting job every time you unload the DW -- putting dishes and glasses away, but cooking utensils, knives, bowls, gadgets, etc. away on the other side of the island? To me, going around the island to put away all the little prep tools, measuring cups, bowls, etc. would get old quickly. If your DH tries to be helpful by unloading the DW, as mine does, it could get annoying to find where he put stuff when you need it (my DH and kids put stuff in the wrong spot all the time, and we have a very compact kitchen -- if the layout was more complex w/ island in the way, it would just be worse).

I tend to use little bowls, spoons & forks for tasting/plating/mis en place while cooking. Going around to get that stuff would be kind of a pain; I know my DH would not be able to differentiate between dishes/flatware for eating vs. cooking, and would mix them up while putting stuff away.

Do you clean-as-you-go while cooking by putting stuff directly into the DW? That would be tough w/ this layout. Either the countertop or prep sink could get a bit cluttered w/ measuring cups, knives, gadgets, bowls, cutting board, etc. That could result in making trips around the island to deposit stuff in the DW, or having the prep sink w/ stuff in it when you want to wash some lettuce, or having clutter on the counter while you want to chit-chat w/ company.

For me, everything's just spaced out too much and the island would be in the way -- but of course your cooking style could be different than mine. From this layout, it looks as if the cooktop is the center of your cooking style whereas for me, the center the action is lots of blank countertop between sink and fridge, w/ cooktop more on the perimeter.

I'm not trying to be obnoxious, remodelfla, and I'm certainly no layout queen -- I feel your pain, having dozens of my own layouts on my hard-drive. This is tough stuff! Keep your eye on the prize (awesome kitchen with lush views, and plenty of time to enjoy it) and you'll get there.

• sarschlos_remodeler
    15 years ago

As someone who once vetted about 8 billion layouts on this forum, I am going to recommend that you maybe take the last batch, put it in a drawer and let it settle for a bit. Is there any way you can live in the house for a bit before making any major decisions?

What I wanted when we first bought the house vs. what I want now that I've lived with the house for several months are very different.

In that latest version, I see oven doors opening into a doorway, a long hike around a big island to put away cookware during cleanup, and seating that interferes with the cleanup aisle.

• rhome410
    15 years ago

Scootermom, I just kind of plopped the stuff in up there near the French doors...I was concerned about too much to fit there, and remodelfla said they will move the beverage fridge outside.

Remodelfla, maybe we go back to a plan similar to like it was at the other end of the room? It seems it might be better for a one-woman show. I'll work on it while you suffer through the dental surgery... I'm getting the better end of this deal!

• rhome410
    15 years ago

The BIG problem here is that the Advantium you think you'll use all the time is way out of the loop. I'd really like to swap the fridge with the oven stack, but then we're back to the fridge in a tough place and with going around the island to get to it. Hmmmph.

• malhgold
    15 years ago

I'm just not really loving this. It makes me feel "out of sorts". Like appliances were positioned where there was space instead of making space for them in the right spots. Does that make sense?

While I'm a big fan of open kitchen arrangements, I feel like you're just walking into the island and the big island hood. I'm also not crazy about the little sections of space for the oven and refrigerator. The opening between the oven section and frig section, can that move down to where the oven section is so you can then add that space to the frig wall? It would at least give you additional unbroken wall space.

If you really want the cooktop in the island, I think I would turn it around and have the stools on the frig side. I know there could be "interference" with the clean up side, but you have 48" of clearance and you've said it's a 1 woman show in your kitchen. This would solve your clean up issues having to run around the island to put cooking supplies away. I also think the island is too long. I think you need to take some space away from each end. To me, it's too close to the family room(?) and also crossing over the line to the eating part.

Would you consider moving the frig to the location of the beverage frig(that is now moving) and then doing your desk area north of that. If you would consider moving the doorway between frig and oven, you could then move the oven to where the frig is(in Rhome's layout), add cabinets and counters and have a nice baking center.

Just my thoughts!!! FWIW!!!

Just to add to what Sarchlos said, I've been working on my layout for over a year. Sometimes I took a break because I had just had it. I'm finally about 95% there with a few minor tweaks. Take your time. I sort of get the feeling that you're trying to get this done under a deadline without maybe really thinking it through.

• rhome410
    15 years ago

• mom2lilenj
    15 years ago

To me the cooking side of the kitchen seems better on the right like in rhomes latest. And since this is a one-cook kitchen having a more "compact" kitchen would be easier to work in.

Have you considered (probably) a peninsula with a half wall on the bottom right side of the kitchen. With maybe a small shelf. Still keeps the open feel, but gives you more wall space. You could put the sink and DW on that half wall and then make a smaller baking island. With that layout the pantry area would be more accessible to the cooking area.

• rhome410
    15 years ago

If it were mine, I'd be considering some changes in orientation of the room, maybe like this. I would do a whole wall, but I made part of it into half walls to help maintain the openness you want.

• rhome410
    15 years ago

• remodelfla
    Original Author
    15 years ago

This is way more fun then sitting there sucking nitrious through a mask and having a oral surgeon jam a metal rod into my bone. I feel punky....

Anyway... in part, I am trying to get something more definitive since I'm meeting with the architect again tomorrow. It doesn't have to be "permanent" but he does have to draw up and submit electrical plans so I have to have the appliances in place. I can change until I sign off, then it'll cost me to change. He seems wonderful and says we'll meet weekly and he expects lots of changes.

Now as to all the ideas. (gotta go back and study them more). OK... I definitely dont' want to add a wall. There's a hallway on the right side that leads to 2 of the bedrooms and then below that our family room in front of the house. As it is I"m removing about 4' of wall from the south west end that is the old pantry. The house is so much smaller then I'm accustom to and I definitely want a straight visual shot out back. I am a little worried that with the current sets of layouts that it'll feel like the island is almost in the hallway which is the point that mahlgold made.
    UGHH!! scootermom brought up another point that I had considered in one of hte myraid of other layouts done but didn't address in this one. And that is that I do like to clean up as I cook. DH typically will take care of the rest after we eat. I clean bowls, baking tins, etc as I go along.

I'm tno at all married to the idea of the cooktop in the island, I did it because it was suggested and I have to SEE it understand it.I can't move the doorway between the frig and ovens much because it's the only access into the pantry. The most I could get would be a foot or two.

When you guys mentioned moving the area back again... did you mean swappping the cooking and eating area again? Or to the layouts where I used the entire east wall? I'm going to go back and look through all my other layouts again.
    I'm lovin' all this help!

• rhome410
    15 years ago

Did these last ones without the wall help? Or is that plan just not working for you at all?

• remodelfla
    Original Author
    15 years ago

OOOOOOO.... opposing islands... interesting concept. I've seen kitchens with multiple islands and loved the look. Does anyone know how they function? I definitely prefer it without the wall. Thanks rhome!

• saramae585
    15 years ago

Let me start by saying that I am defiantly not an expert on this... I will just give you my opinion. I have followed your layout to some extent. I can understand why you don't really want a wall. I too like open spaces. I think the layout seems much more functional with the opposing islands. It just seems to fit better in your space than some of the others. With your kitchen being so wide when you put the island in the other direction it seems more awkward and broken up where this just seems to flow. I'm not sure what the room behind it is, I had a hard time understanding if that was the hallway or if there is actually a living space there. If you're concerned about the rooms being separated by the island maybe you could do a raised bar with stools on that side (behind the cooktop) to incorporate the other space. Then you wouldn't necessarily need the other stools and could have more storage space in the middle island. Gosh, it seemed to make much more sense in my head than in writing. lol... Either way you have a beautiful space to work with. Good luck and it seems as if you've done you're homework so I'm sure you will love the result!

• abbycat9990
    15 years ago

I really like the dual islands!! I would suggest a column on each end of the one closest to the family room, rather than the wall shown. The columns would add a hint of separation.

Also, consider flipping the islands so that the one with stools is next to the family room. Yes, they move away from the window, but this way they are facing both the window and that french door.

Remodelfla - I would urge you to look at Sarah Susanka's series on the Not so Big House. Many ideas to be found in the first two books especially.

• rhome410
    15 years ago

I know I am probably considered biased, but I really like the last plan. It is the only one of all of them that I would really feel comfortable having for myself; that doesn't have a major compromise or problem...like something too far away, no dish storage, etc., etc. A lot of people dislike a sink and cooktop back to back, but particularly in a 1-cook kitchen, I think it has plusses.

On the fridge/oven wall, you could put the oven on the end toward the family room, and have a nice baking center counter in between it and the fridge. It's close to the main sink when baking, and the counter can serve as a landing space for both appliances. You can even deepen the counter on that side for a better work area...And you can also deepen the stove counters, too. I can already guess that someone will object to the oven doors opening into an entrance to the room, but it's not like they couldn't see, couldn't wait the minute it's open, or go around...(JMO)

This has the baking area deeper.

• pbrisjar
    15 years ago

abbycat that's a great idea. The other bonus to flipping is that the chef will get a view out the window, too.

• rhome410
    15 years ago

I like that the little higher wall that serves as a splatter guard behind the cooktop can be on the family room side to do double duty as a screen, giving a slight separation of the rooms. If the islands were flipped, the cleanup sink would be right across a level counter and be in full view of the family room. I would more likely do most of the prep activities near the sink and want to face the windows. I was also imagining you rolling out sugar cookies with grandkids in the window-lit area and more within the kitchen. But, again, JMHO.

I'll shut up now! ;-)

• vicnsb
    15 years ago

rhome...this latest plan is very close to what I am planning...so I am biased
    and think its great.

The raised counter on the family room side could have stools, the cooktop would be blocked by the raised counter.

The opposite island could have the prep sink and prep area on the side
    across from the cooktop and the clean up sink on the other side.

Then the stools face the outside view and the prep area faces the outside
    view and the cooktop faces the stools!

It is so generous of you to do all these drawings...I think this last one looks
    great!

• remodelfla
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I love the double islands and am delighted that the feedback seems so positive. This was the first layout that DH got excited about as well. He must be feeling bad for me because he gave in on wanting to place the frig or double ovens on the 5' wall which is out of the loop. He's reasons were purely based on electrical issues. I came up with a layout very similar to you rhome. One difference is I didn't plan for dish storage on the 5' wall just above the pantry door. I figured I could place either 14" depth shelving, a computer counter, whatever. I just know it would make it flush with the inset. I also placed the frig and double ovens right next to each other and then the prep counter as one long run. I figured the frig would then be accessible from the family room without anyone getting in the work area and the oven doors won't impede on any work space. I like that guests could hang out at the counter and look out at the yard while also interacting with people in the family room. I would raise the counter only if I build the island shorter then standard. The cleanup island (whichever I make it) would have to be standard height because of the DW. I kinda prefer the more streamline look of one flat counter and just had the thought that I could build the cooktop island a little deeper to help with the splatter issue. There is good argument for flipping the island one way or the other and I'm open to discussion on that. My layout doesn't look nearly as professional as others but it's the best I can do on Excel. Please keep in mind that this was created while on some pain meds!

Here ya' go! And rhome... please don't shut up. I don't know what I would have done without you. I never would have gotten to this point without your help and honest direct input.

• scootermom
    15 years ago

This layout makes a lot of sense to me. I like it a lot. The only thing I don't like about it is that now I'm going to have to see if I can fit two islands into *my* layout! (Groan!).

On the fridge/DO wall, I would possibly flip the prep spot and the double ovens to have that landing spot serve both areas. Hmm...do I see room enough for a recliner near the banquette?? ;-)

• rhome410
    15 years ago

Just be sure you have some amount of counter at the far side/top of the sink where the faucet is. Otherwise you'll be splattering the floor and pushing the wash rag and maybe the dish detergent off the edge...Or, at least, I would.

• remodelfla
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I could build the sink cabs deeper too... :-). I just looked through the FKB and saw some bi-level islands with just a slight raise (like the 3" I had talked about ) for the overhang and I liked it. Either way... I think I want DH to build the cook area to 33". Water... no problem. That's what my two dauchsies are for! They are always underfoot looking for droppings of anything! And... woo-hoo! He will build me my banquette. I can just see myself stretched out with my puppies on there reading a magazine or surfing online while enjoying my yard. Do you think I should move the stove to the end and leave the prep in the middle? Sounds good on paper...

• pbrisjar
    15 years ago

I was thinking the same thing as scootermom. Put the DO and fridge on opposite sides with the counter space in the middle.

I think I'd go with a hutch of some sort next to the banquette for dish storage. Either that or make the narrow cab on the left dish storage and make the area next to the banquette your message center.

• jayne s
    15 years ago

FYI - some double ovens are so deep that installers need to cut a hole in the back. Your latest layout is such that you could have an even deeper countertop (even 3 inches) on the oven-fridge wall if you wanted the extra space. Depending on the refrigerator, you would have flexibility to go deeper than the standard built-ins if you wanted. It's nice extra real estate and can make the counters seem roomy if you are planning to store appliances in the back.

Of course, a lot depends on how wide you want your walkways to be.

jayne

• farmhousebound
    15 years ago

Haven't weighed in on your plans but have been following your threads. I really like rhome's last one the best and would keep the refrigerator and stove on opposite ends w/ the counter space in the middle--that way you can use it for either appliance when needed. So, that's my vote!

• malhgold
    15 years ago

I love Rhome's latest. There is a reason for everything to be in the spot that it's in. You're not putting in appliances because they fit there, they go in the spot they're in because they work best there. I would do the frig/DO wall just as Rhome has it. Easier access to the frig from the dining table and the outside. No need to be walking down to almost the family room to get into the frig. I think it's perfect! And you don't have to worry about putting in a prep sink.

Good luck with the architect!

• holligator
    15 years ago

I've been following along with your many layouts, but had too much trouble keeping up with all the changes to contribute anything in a long time.

That said, rhome410's last drawing absolutely nails it. It is the perfect way to deal with your quirky space and make everything feel functional and purposeful. Don't change the fridge position, though, I like the counter in between. I think you should go for it just like she laid it out!

• bellsrus
    15 years ago

Please be careful that you don't have an issue with your refrigerator doors opening all the way. It concerns me that the refrig is right up against the wall. I'm not familiar with counterdepth refrigerators -- perhaps it won't be a problem?

If it is an issue, you could put a narrow (6"?) broom closet or something to the right of your refrig and shorten the prep space by the same amount.

I like these last couple of layouts! Good luck with your renovations!

Patti

• remodelfla
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you thank you thank you all. This is essentially my layout. I"m going to separate the frig and stove by the prep space. I was thinking it might make sense to put the frig on the end closer to the family room. That way anyone hanging out in there won't have to come into the cooking area to get a drink. If people are in the dining area, they can get a drink from the beverage frig in the screen room. It would also be a reach from the cooktop. Either end would work though. Maybe I'll let DH weigh in since I squashed all his other ideas.... as long as he picks the one I want though....

bellrus, I don't have to worry about door swing with a built in. Functional and cool looking! Actually, it was my hubby who made that choice. I, in a million years, never thought he be up for a higher cost frig. Though the broom closet is a nice idea; I have a 10'x6' pantry plus separate laundry room for all that kind of stuff.

Truly and sincerely, thank you so much, especially to rhome who was tireless and patient throughout the evolution of this MOST PERFECT FOR ME layout.
    I'm so excited I can hardly stand it.... THANK YOU!!!!

Now I gotta come up with plans by tonight for my new master bath! Kinda got that down already, as long as it has my air jet tubbie, I don't care about much else.
    Elyse

• rhome410
    15 years ago

Best wishes on your remodel!

• mom2lilenj
    15 years ago

WOW this is looks great! Everything makes sense; great job rhome! It also gives you the big open feel you were going for and a very function kitchen for one. I wouldn't change a thing from rhomes latest!

• houseful
    15 years ago

Looks great! I can't remember what style you are using, so this might not fit, but here is another idea for you. I am doing this between by breakfast nook and my family room. The counter here is about 6 inches higher than the cooktop which is right on the other side of this. I love the way the glass cabinets provide some sense of separation yet it still feels pretty open. They would, of course, have to be shorter if you have seating there.

• remodelfla
    Original Author
    15 years ago

houseful... that is one beautiful elegant timeless look. I bet it will look gorgeous in your home. Be sure to post pics! Our look will be less classic (kinda like we are!). I can't wait till be both can post pics and admire each others style! It's hard to settle on a "look" when you have an appreciation for so many different likes, isn't it?! Good luck!

• cheri127
    15 years ago

Remodel, I've been following your layout journey on and off but haven't had much to offer. I will say that I love Rhome's two island plan though and am so happy for you that you have found something you like. I can't wait to see how it all turns out. Good luck.

Btw, I'm not sure that you don't have to worry about door swing with a built in fridge. If the door can't open past 90 degrees, you may not be able to open drawers or remove them for cleaning. We have a Subzero that needs to be opened about 120 degress to get the drawers out.

• remodelfla
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Oh ... thanks for the heads up on that cheri... I'll make sure the frig is built out in such a way that it meets the necessary specs. I love this layout too and so does my husband. I'll be sure to post pics of this loooonnnnggg DIY journey we're about to take on!

• rhome410
    15 years ago

The great thing about that fridge wall is that the depth of the cabinets/counter can be adjusted so the fridge is pulled out with the wall only beside the fridge box, not as far out as the doors, so that opening the door as wide as you want to shouldn't be a problem. I think I have the jogged part drawn a little deeper than it is anyway.

Here is a closeup detail of how it should end up:

• remodelfla
    Original Author
    15 years ago

rhome is my hero(ette)...

• rhome410
    15 years ago

It just so happens that your space turns out to be wonderful for having a very nice and functional kitchen...Whoda thunk it?! ;-)

I was just telling Malhgold this morning that I am surprised that it took all of us who have worked on this so long to come up with such a straight-forward plan. It's not that detailed or creative...Seems so simple now and I wonder why it took so long to 'see' it. Everything seems to fit so perfectly with room to make the adjustments you need...and without some kind of big compromise! That is a rare occurrence! This is what taking the time to brainstorm and try things is all about...a happy result. Yay!

• rhome410
    15 years ago

I have to say that you have been exceptionally gracious at taking criticism and suggestions. I have felt free to be blunt with you and you not only take it, but welcome it. It's nicer to help when you don't have to fight who you're helping or tiptoe around someone's ego or feelings. Now we just have to wait to see if the architect throws in any new curve balls... :-)

• pbrisjar
    15 years ago

"Now we just have to wait to see if the architect throws in any new curve balls."

LOL. I'd been thinking the same thing myself. But he sounds like a good guy so I think instead he'll just be able to polish your wonderful work, rhome.

• rhome410
    15 years ago

You are all so nice to compliment me, but it was a long path getting here, with all sorts of contributions, comments, and help for remodelfla along the way that pushed the plan to this point. A group project.

• remodelfla
    Original Author
    15 years ago

My feelings during this process were mostly guilt, for the the endless efforts others were putting forth and frustration/disappointment with myself. Each time I posted a layout I thought, now this one is it! They're gonna love it and I'm going to hear, "great flow, how creative, I love it!" My initial reaction after feedback each time was "oh sh$#", then my heart sunk, and then I got pissed off at myself.I began not even knowing I could draw in Excel, not knowing how to post a pic, not thinking about frig,prep, cook, clean. (My new mantra thanks to rhome!). I have learned so much and am forever appreciative. This move is a big change for me. Much smaller home, not as "fancy" an area. It was DH's home prior to hooking up with me. But he's already retired from being a cop (injury) and I'm going to teach another 5 years so I can reach the max pay level. This home means I'll be able to retire at 59 and play. Boat, motorhome, golf, beach. Tiny mortgage left and this remodel is my "buy in".(I'm paying) DH worries that it's a "step down" (his words) for me and wants me to be happy. I couldn't care less about the change in area because I'm a simple girl and we're all about the outside. The yard is big (for South Florida), beautiful, and private. My youngest just turned 21 and will out by the end of this year. (I'm going to NY to visit my oldest boy tomorrow!) I get to build the kitchen of my dreams. As much as I long for the days when my boys were young and yummy (it was just the three of us); I am also very much looking forward to this next stage of my life. In about 5 years I'm hoping my boys settle down and give me chubby little babies to spoil and love. My boys and I are very very close. I forget that I'm suppose to be the older one now because as far as I'm concerned, I'm still young and have endless energy. I still think of myself as my parents "baby" and they've been gone 7 years. I still miss them every day of my life. Judging from this endless diatribe of mine, there is emotion and significance attached to this process for me. It represents what I hope the rest of my life to be before I'm able to go be with my parents again. Geez... what a sap... sorry 'bout that!
    Anyway....what I meant to say was...
    The architect hasn't seen the 3D layout but I sent him my 2D version. He said he really liked the twp islands. His mindset seems to be to find a way to make what I want happen. It was kinda awesome... when we first met, it was myself, DH, the architect, and two contractor/helpers we think we're going to use for the stuff DH can't do himself. I stood there and said, "I want this gone over here and I want this here...". The 4 men were, "OK.. we'll do this and shore this up here, upgrade the electric coming into the house etc.". Now, ya' gotta love that! Just for "kicks" and grins; here's a pic of how the bedroom/bath with the extension will look. This area will back onto the east wall of the kitchen/dining area.

The existing bedroom/bath layout:

I'm done now!

• backinthesaddle
    15 years ago

"My feelings during this process were mostly guilt, for the the endless efforts others were putting forth"

I think people here love to do it, especially for someone thats receptive. :) I never have time to get involved in the roller coaster layout threads but the evolution of some certainly helped me finalize or tweak my own kitchen.

My favorite part about this is what it finally came down to is Rhome saying "this is what I would do." Sometimes that's what has to happen to see it from a fresh perspective and let go of things that weren't going go work but you were so attached to.

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz