Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Expert Countertop Stone Help needed

Posted by Cinjos (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 7, 13 at 15:38

Hi all,
I have fallen in love with Everest quartzite (see below) for my new kitchen. I am being told by the fabricator that they will make it for me, but they are warning that it chips a lot. They can not repair the chips after installation and I would need to sign a waiver that they have for exotic granite indicating that they are not responsible for all the issues that arise with certain natural stones.

Should I be appropriately scared off of this stone? Or is this just the way with natural stone and go for it? Really need some guidance here!

Thanks,
Cindy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Expert Countertop Stone Help needed

I can see why you fell in love with this. It's beautiful. Hopefully, someone who has taken a chance with quartzites that are more fragile will have some advice.

How risk aversive are you? I am highly risk aversive, so I would never choose something, no matter how much I liked it, if I had to sign a waver like that... although maybe for something not so permanent or expensive if I really loved it.

Hope someone here can help you with more information on which to base your decision.

o

Can you get a sample of it to abuse?

o

I can't remember the name but there was a similar quartzite like that and it had a tendency to chip. It sounded like a disaster to deal with. It might be on a thread that was all about white stones. If I can remember anything more about it I will do a search for you.

o

found it - it's in reference to a quartzite called Antarctica

Here is a link that might be useful: antarctica quartzite

o

Thanks so much - that is exactly my stone and exactly what the fabricator said. That thread answered my questions perfectly. With all the different names of these stones, it's so hard to research them! Sadly, I am going to have to move on.

I had been looking at white granites as well, but my sample of river white failed the stain test. I don't know if I should take the risk but I do so love natural stone!

Back to obsessing...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here