Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kmo1_gw

Backsplash Grout - Can It be Kept Clean?

kmo1
14 years ago

I am looking at a tile back splash for my kitchen and I am concerned about keeping the grout clean. I look at my shower tile and I know how hard I have to work to keep the grout lines looking decent. Is this what I will have to do in the kitchen, especially behind the stove? I am a low maintenance kind of girl and don't want to be a slave to my back splash.

What are your experiences with your grout lines in the kitchen?????

Comments (9)

• jan_jan
    14 years ago

I am wanting white subway tile with white grout all the way down to the counter. I spilled red wine recently and as it poured behind my plywood counter tops and I was wiping off the wall and I thought to myself I'm really glad my white grout wasn't in yet. I posted on this a couple weeks ago and some people said there is a silicone bead to help but I'm still worried about it looking like crap in a short few years. I guess there is always bleach! :) I'm going to go for it. I went and looked at my girlfriends white subway tile that is about 7 years old and it looked great. Good luck with your decision. I don't think my babbling helped but I'm sure some others will chime in.

• bill_vincent
    14 years ago

I am wanting white subway tile with white grout all the way down to the counter.

No, you're not. You're wanting white caulking where it hits the countertop. :-)

• kmo1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I am looking at either a glass tile or a porcelain tile so I am not as concerned about the tile but really about the grout lines. I am envisioning spaghetti sauce, curries, grease, etc. all over the grout - is this the case?

• rjr220
    14 years ago

I just got up from the laptop to eyeball my 30 y/o groutlines on the kitchen backsplash -- white 4x4 tiles with white grout, and it looks fine -- even in the corner b/t the stove and sink where most prep gets done. Above the range is fine as well. Now, IF there was a stain, after this week-end I know what I would do: hit it with the Magic Eraser from Mr. Clean. We put new floor tile with gray grout down 4 years ago: I put 2 coats of sealer on, but it was looking narly after many meals and 2 adolescents and their friends. I read on the cleaning forum about using the Mr. Clean Magic Erasers on floor grout, and it is MAGIC. Very little elbow grease, fabulous action. Granted, the grout chews thru the pads (3 pads for about 100 linear ft of grout thus far, 1/2 inch wide). So, I wouldn't worry about the backsplash.

• Gina_W
    14 years ago

The tiler I used sealed the grout. I don't know what he used, but it never stains.

• mdmc
    14 years ago

I don't have white grout but it is light colored. Had my new kitchen 3 years and no problem. I will admit I don't fry much though. Cook everything else.

• monicakm_gw
    14 years ago

I have a tumbled travertine backsplash. It and the grout got 3, maybe 4 coats of AquaMix Gold water based sealer. Nothing has ever stained the stone or grout (even behind the stove). I just use a Mr Clean Eraser, just a swipe or two and it's gone!
    Monica

• squigs
    14 years ago

What about using the epoxy grout. Supposedly, you don't have to worry about staining or mildew, etc.

Sponsored
BME Construction LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars20 Reviews
Loudoun County's Source for High-End Custom Decks & Outdoor Structure