Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What to do with backsplash above cooktop, and behind serving area

Posted by strayer (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 3, 13 at 15:25

Hello, this photo is from Houzz.com. I am doing a similar kitchen as far as materials and colors go...quartzite island with black shaker cabinets; honed black grante perimeter with white shaker cabinets with a few glassfronts; marble subway tile backsplash; a contemporary/transitional look; woodfloor, lots of light in my kitchen.

2 question areas regarding the backsplash:

1. Backsplash area above the cooktop

I have honed marble subway tiles (3" x 6"), and I also bought some of the same material in 1x1 squares and some pencils to make something different above the cooktop. Notice that in the Houzz picture the backsplash doesn't change above the cooktop. I can return the material I bought if I want and get something else or get more of the subway.

So... should I make a decorative area above there or not? Is it out of style or old fashioned?

If I do make it different, what would look nice? I was thinking of returning the 1x1s and getting smaller little minibricks (rectangles) in the same honed marble.

Another option is just to continue the marble subway tiles and hang something decorative there, which I could change from time to time.

Another option is to cut into the wall and create an inset area (with or without a difference backsplash) so that I can put oils, and other things there that I use all the time.

2. Backsplash behind serving area:

The other side of the kitchen has a long serving area with cabinets above. Nothing gets cooked, chopped or prepared there at all, so it doesn't really need a backsplash for protection, but to match I guess it will receive the same treatment. But the center of this area will have glass cabinets that are set slightly higher (a 22 inch space from counter to cab) and this will be where I put the pretty china and such. Should the backsplash change in that area at all or just leave it with the subway pattern?

Thoughts?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What to do with backsplash above cooktop, and behind serving

If you want to change up the area behind you cooktop perhaps you could do a herring bone pattern with your subways tile and outline it with the pencil edge.

GWer mamadadapaige did that in her kitcehn and it looks very nice. Not sure if I am allowed to post someone elses picture but here is her backsplash

o
RE: What to do with backsplash above cooktop, and behind serving

Thanks, that looks nice. Changing it a bit, but still nice and subtle.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here