Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ssdarb

What to do with backsplash above cooktop, and behind serving area

ssdarb
10 years ago

Hello, this photo is from Houzz.com. I am doing a similar kitchen as far as materials and colors go...quartzite island with black shaker cabinets; honed black grante perimeter with white shaker cabinets with a few glassfronts; marble subway tile backsplash; a contemporary/transitional look; woodfloor, lots of light in my kitchen.

2 question areas regarding the backsplash:

1. Backsplash area above the cooktop

I have honed marble subway tiles (3" x 6"), and I also bought some of the same material in 1x1 squares and some pencils to make something different above the cooktop. Notice that in the Houzz picture the backsplash doesn't change above the cooktop. I can return the material I bought if I want and get something else or get more of the subway.

So... should I make a decorative area above there or not? Is it out of style or old fashioned?

If I do make it different, what would look nice? I was thinking of returning the 1x1s and getting smaller little minibricks (rectangles) in the same honed marble.

Another option is just to continue the marble subway tiles and hang something decorative there, which I could change from time to time.

Another option is to cut into the wall and create an inset area (with or without a difference backsplash) so that I can put oils, and other things there that I use all the time.

2. Backsplash behind serving area:

The other side of the kitchen has a long serving area with cabinets above. Nothing gets cooked, chopped or prepared there at all, so it doesn't really need a backsplash for protection, but to match I guess it will receive the same treatment. But the center of this area will have glass cabinets that are set slightly higher (a 22 inch space from counter to cab) and this will be where I put the pretty china and such. Should the backsplash change in that area at all or just leave it with the subway pattern?

Thoughts?

Comments (2)