Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
singingmicki_gw

What to put with Quarter Sawn White Oak?

singingmicki
12 years ago

My cabinet maker is busily making cabinets as I type, so things are moving along nicely. He hasn't gotten to the kitchen cabinets yet, which is why I haven't posted any follow ups to my "excited" post. I've chosen quarter sawn white oak for the stained wood in my kitchen/family/dining area which is all quite open. Because the wood is pretty expensive, I've incorporated a lot of painted cabinetry in the room as well. I think the painted cabinets will be good, also, because all the flooring will be stained wood, and it will help balance it all.

My trim and ceilings are in the creamy white family, my floors will be a medium/dark stain, and my island, media center, stairs, and dining room built-ins will be quarter sawn white oak.

My questions surround finishing the stained cabinets and choosing a paint color for the painted ones.

Should the stained cabinets be lighter than the floors?

What would be a good paint color for the painted cabinets (kitchen perimiter-including vent hood, kitchen desk, mud room, and utility room)? My house is definitely leaning towards a craftsman feeling, and I don't think that white or cream cabinets would work for me. I just can't seem to think of any alternatives. Any thoughts are welcome! I love opinions! This is part of my downstairs layout; the family room is to the right, and the dining room is below the kitchen.

This is the inspiration photo for my quarter sawn white oak cabinets.

Comments (12)

• annachosaknj6b
    12 years ago

A yummy pale olive green would be nice, maybe with a few rust-red accents thrown in.

Someone mentioned on another thread that it's frowned upon to do floors and cabinets the same stain, but I don't see why. I think either the same stain or a darker one would be equally pretty.

• singingmicki
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the input, anna. I should mention that the countertop in the photo isn't a part of my design vision. In fact, I haven't chosen my countertop yet. :-/

• chicagoans
    12 years ago

Beautiful cabinets in your inspiration pic!

California Paints has some colors in an "Arts and Crafts / Craftsman" category. (See link. I'm not affiliated with them.) I put a few into this picture to give you some ideas. If you're a blue person, the 'classic shutter' is nice too.

{{!gwi}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Craftsman colors

• powertoolpatriot
    12 years ago

Love the quartersawn white oak! What would be wrong with just a clear finish over it? Let the character and beauty shine through!

• bigjim24
    12 years ago

Are the painted cabs a different wood than the qtrsawn? If not stain.If different I would go with a green tone. I think the color would depend on your countertop choice though.

• Circus Peanut
    12 years ago

I used a muted yellow for the painted cabinetry in my craftsmanesque kitchen. It's Birdseye Maple from the Sherwin Williams craftsman historic colors collection:

• singingmicki
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Circuspeanut, that's a really pretty color. Thanks!

It seems that I could safely go in:
    a green direction
    a beige with gray/green undertones
    a beige with yellow undertones

I feel much better about needing to do painted cabinets now. Since it wasn't in my original vision but a budget necessity, I was scared that it was going to change that original vision. Now, I can think of it as an opportunity to enhance it.

So, my homework is to test the clear finish on a wood scrap and go countertop shopping with these finishes in mind.

I'll keep you posted on the progress!

• sadie709
    12 years ago

I had a bath vanity and hardwood floor stained the same color. It always bugged me and made me feel like the vanity grew out of the floor instead of being a piece of furniture ON the floor.

• remodelfla
    12 years ago

I have natural QS oak with a clear coat stain... LOVE!
    Here's a drawer front uninstalled where you can really see the flecking:

From Drop Box

Here's some installed with floors that closely match in color. We have a more contemporary thing going on:
    From Drop Box

It's really really hard to capture the graining and luster with a cell phone camera. Truly a beautiful wood and I just adore it in it's natural state.

• louisianapurchase
    12 years ago

I love your inspiration pic. I think something in the olivy greens would look great.

• singingmicki
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Remodelfla,
    When I saw your photos today, I was pretty sure that's what your fabulous wood was. The first pieces of my QS oak went in today, and I was so excited that I jumped up and down and squealed like a little girl. I thought about hugging my cabinet maker, but that might have been weird...
    I'll post pics soon...not that anything's finished.