Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
plllog

A message to lurkers and quiet people

plllog
12 years ago

Please read further!! I feel sad that a discussion of a personal peeve of mine has discouraged people. Another frequent poster brought that up because he was just getting what I was talking about. MY point was never to discourage people from posting!! Rather, I was trying to say that I wished they would post more. Join in. Become part of the visible community. You don't have to know a lot to make a comment or express an opinion.

In The-Thread-Which-Shall-Not-Be-Named, when this issue was brought up, and discussed to death, far more people said that they liked the posts from people who never post except to show their finished kitchens because they like looking at every kitchen they can see. Valid point, don't you think?

Please don't let the opinions of only two, albeit loud, people discourage you from posting anything you want to share.

I think, however, that the issues that created the Nameless Thread might be ameliorated if more of the shy ones would post more often.

We want to see the low budget kitchens, the strange layout kitchens, the off the wall designs. If you do have one of those, please be realistic--you're not going to get island seating for the whole family in a small, farmhouse kitchen with four doors and immovable stairs. But do post! This isn't the top trendy kitchen club! It's the Kitchens Forum! All you have to do to be a member is sign up and post.

Post your kitchen or comment on someone else's. Please don't be intimidated. If you're just not into it, lurk away, but don't be put off by the personalities if there's something you want to say. Go ahead and say it!

Comments (92)

• Katie S
    12 years ago

PailineS, I remember you, too! This is my third kitchen since the one I first did with gar web help, too. I hope this one is it for a long time.

• labbie
    12 years ago

I'm a lurker coming out of hiding to say thanks to this board for all of the posts, information, photos, debates,etc.
    After years of dreaming, we are finally in a position to start getting quotes/designs on our new kitchen. We're trying to come up with creative ways to get the most out the budget we have and prioritize what is important to us to do so.
    If I can figure out the tech aspects of it, I'm hoping to post before photos and ask for opinions along the way.
    Thanks!

• amielynn
    12 years ago

I haven't posted anything as I really didn't until recently have much to post. If someone was looking for a medium toned maple with lighter granite I'm more than happy to post. I personally didn't feel the need to post a reveal, actually I didn't really think much about it.

I can say I learned a lot from lurking, but during my time also picked up the general feeling that I described before. It certainly is not anyones fault, I just articulated an observation. I absolutely made the decision to have more drawer space thanks to GW and all the info shared!

• beekeeperswife
    12 years ago

I haven't posted much lately due to the recent turmoil that has hit. I just wanted to thank you pllog for taking the time to post this thread. I've noticed more people asking questions and posting photos, all giving you credit for the encouragement. Towel Pig would be proud.

-Bee

• plllog
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, Bee. Give Pig my regards. :)

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    12 years ago

Thank you, plllog, for the encouragement. One reason that I've been hesitant to post on kitchen progress, is that I knew my thread would have several of the 'pet peeves' that members have posted about on this forum.

Layout hand-drawn on graph paper
    Can't move plumbing, ducting, walls, etc.
    Links instead of pics (I'm barely link-literate)
    Probably more, that I don't know are pet peeves, yet

But, if anyone points out my transgressions, I'll just whine, "But, plllog said I could..." :)

• breezygirl
    12 years ago

Mama, I posted hand drawn layouts on graph paper for many, many months. I still do in fact! Just make sure they're easy to read and you'll be good! And the immoveable ducts, etc just present a little more of a challenge. Sometimes watching the layout experts work those threads is so educational.

• gayl
    12 years ago

After lurking here for almost 3 years, I am almost done with my new build...BUT, it is white, soapstone, classic. Not real common in my area, but it is on GW. I probably won't post it because it seems from this thread that people might be done with that and only want to see the unique kitchens. Maybe I'll just post my laundry room, black and white and turquoise...definitely not run-of-the-mill.

• plllog
    Original Author
    12 years ago

LOL, Mama Goose! I often ask people to draw their layouts by hand on graph paper. As long as the pencil lines are dark and thick enough to be seen on the screen, it works really well. Any more or less scale drawing is a good one. It doesn't have to be a fancy computer rendering.

If you can't move stuff, just say so! People kept telling me to move my water heater. I suppose I could have. I didn't want to! You have to draw the line somewhere, and that was it for me. Be aware that people sometimes forget what you said in the first post of the thread when they're working on your problem, or refer back only to that one, missing the one where you provided more info on what can't move, so please be patient when the fourth or fifth person says, "If you could only just move that duct..." Just say, "Nope. Duct can't move." They'll all catch on sooner or later.

Links aren't a peeve. It's just a known thing that more people will look at your pictures if you post them in a thread. Someone will help you. If I don't see your thread, e-mail me through the My Page link, and I'll come help you. I can also teach you how to do it yourself if you have trouble with the instructions in Buehl's Read Me file.

Those might be someone's pet peeves. We all have different ones. But they're not mine. So, there. I've said you could!

• plllog
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Gharborwa, of course we want to see your new white and soapstone kitchen!!! The point is that we don't want to see only your kitchen. We just want to see Doggonegardener's light wood kitchen with the red fridge surround too. Since they fixed the software and we've had 60+ pages of threads regularly for months without it breaking and only letting us have 3, threads aren't rationed. Five for counters for the same kitchen on the front page is overkill, but we have plenty of room for everybody's kitchen.

• redheaddeluxe
    12 years ago

Thanks, Plllog, for your words of encouragement. They are appreciated.

• breezygirl
    12 years ago

Gig harbor--I've been waiting to see your kitchen! Not just because you're practically my neighbor, but because I love seeing soapstone kitchens. And because you are a member of this forum. Everyone need to post their kitchens regardless of budget or materials. I just love seeing kitchens!

• aliris19
    12 years ago

wow, I have not followed this thread, but I am seeing the results of it in tons of fantasmagorical, unbelievably wonderful, interesting, "authentic" (whatever that means), creative, crunchy-delicious kitchens.

Thank you, plllog, for posting this encouragement for others to post. Empirically it would seem to have been needed. I guess I haven't been around long enough and haven't read the discouraging threads to have let them sink in; I didn't really understand how this explicit encouragement would have been so needed.

But I see it now in the parade of wonderful kitchens, revealed.

Thank you, all, for the courage to share your efforts. Thank you, plllog, for understanding the need to encourage the posting of these efforts.

Please, show us more more more! It's like clear, filtered water - can't gulp enough of it... but do I have to read the thread? ;)

• aliris19
    12 years ago

Gharborwa -- are you kidding? You're kidding, right? Why on earth wouldn't you post your finished kitchen? I've followed your posts eagerly these past few months. It's your kitchen we want to see! What's in it too, of course, but it matters that it's yours, whatever it is. Not its relative trendiness, whether up or down. It's yours, what you did, what problems you solved, what is nifty, what isn't... please post.

• annachosaknj6b
    12 years ago

frmrsdghtr, did you finish painting your cabinets? I've been hoping you would post the finished result for us!

• jessicaml
    12 years ago

Ditto to frmrsdghtr! I could remember your kitchen and have been waiting to see more, but I couldn't remember who it belonged to (had to google). It was turning out so pretty when you last shared!

• williemon
    12 years ago

What I notice:

Many times I will search for a particular subject on these forums. Then i will read through 25 to 30 threads on the subject only to find that the same folks post the same thoughts on the subject in most all the threads without much change. Others that may use, or have the same subject and may have different views, or different aspects of the subject may not post. The subject then is seen from mainly a one sided view. It May be a correct view, but one that does dash the other good qualities that might have made it "the one" for others.

Im in the crowd of using what fits a budget,or going over budget by a hai, but tweaking the budget and item to the nth degree to make it work best.

Im currently trying to work with a kitchen layout in a new house build that is not the best but could have been. Its my fault for not nit picking it prior to the build. As it is, its too late on mine and my builders time line to make lots of changes. Little adjustments are in order here in order to gain most of what I need with the least cost and time. Thinking outside the box to manipulate variables that still can be adjusted at this juncture in the build are in order. The lurker, with the odd kitchen that actually works to the surprise of many for whatever reason, may have just the answer im looking for.

So to all, all post. Even if the kitchen is the lowest of scrap, your knowledge of your kitchen can hold a key that can make my kitchen work for me, and that is all that matters.

This is a great forum and I read it every day and will continue to do so. Thanks all for opinions and knowledge and pics.

• sayde
    12 years ago

What I love about seeing the variety of GW kitchens is what real people are doing with real spaces (with all their idiosyncracies and challenges) with real budgets. It is such a wonderful antidote to the kitchens one sees in the shelter mags, with their paid-for product placement and unlimited budgets. I recently picked up a Renovation mag that featured projects including about half a dozen kitchens -- all white, and at least half of them had Wolf ranges (48 inch ones).

• sadie709
    12 years ago

Hey Plllog
    I laughed at your reference to learning to cook in a tiny kitchen because it reminded me of; I think it was a New York Times article on chef Mark Bittmen. It had a picture of him cooking in his Tiny condo kitchen. It just proves the point you don't need a big expensive kitchen with all the gadgets to turn out a fabulous meal cooked with love for the family or to practice becoming a famous chef in. But as someone who loves to bake I wouldnt give up my granite counters for anything !

Sadie

• beekeeperswife
    12 years ago

Can I speak freely for one moment?

I feel as if there is a trend towards "anti-white" cabinets, and "white cabinet bashing". (not in this thread) I made a decision about my kitchen pre-GW, and not influenced by any magazines. I sat and stared at my ugly cabinets and envisioned how my space would look with either the cabinets painted dark, or painted white. I decided that my room would just become "darker" if I went the dark route, so I chose white. Just the primer made me jump for joy. There was hope that I would be able to make this kitchen something that is bright and cheery. So, I have to assume that a lot of other people make the decision for white cabinets in the same way (maybe they aren't staring for unbelievable long times at their space, like I did) but I think a lot of people are realizing that if you have lighter cabinets, your overall space becomes lighter, and so many people need that, especially if you are living in a light deprived room like I have. Back "in the day" if you had stained cabinets it was taboo to paint them, God forbid you covered up the look of the stained cabinet. But I'm so glad that people have realized that nothing bad will happen if they choose to paint them during a kitchen reno.

People who see my kitchen cannot believe that we painted the cabinets and how much larger the space feels now, and how much brighter. (yes we added recessed lights, but that is not what I'm talking about).

And while I'm at it, my kitchen is a DIY budget kitchen. I consider it a budget now that I know how much kitchens cost. Mine was done for $22k. $13k of it for the appliances (Shopped the scratch & dent stores and watched for sales-some say they are high end). I was on a kitchen tour where there was a "budget kitchen", and they spent $35k on it. I was shocked. I thought, give me that $35k and see what I can do with this space. I just don't consider $35k to be a "budget" kitchen! Before I started my project, never would I have dreamed that "$22k" and "budget" would actually be used in the same sentence. But here I am. So, I love seeing all the budget renos, the $2,000 ones, the $500 ones, and sometimes the really big ones, but those usually confuse me because I can't figure out where all the money went. (usually to stuff we can't see--the all important infrasturture).

So, what is the definition of Budget Kitchen? Just curious if anyone knows, or is it truly in the eye of the homeowner?

I guess I just wanted to get this out there, because I am starting to feel bad for showing my kitchen, in all its whiteness and "high end" appliances. I love looking at all the kitchens on here, and enjoying all of the details. As the saying goes, Inexpensive doesn't mean ugly. This has been proven over and over by GW members.

-Bee

• mahatmacat1
    12 years ago

Gosh, haven't been to the Kitchens forum (in any kind of thorough way) for years, but I remember the very first post about the Something's Gotta Give" kitchen--the post that was heard 'round the world. I even remember the days before "Something's Gotta Give" came out. There *was* a GW before the Ur-Kitchen, you know : ) Whatever did people do for kitchens before white and soapstone? Ah yes, cherry and ubatuba, and slate backsplashes. White and soapstone was the wild new thing back then. Would cherry and ubatuba ever be dated, people wondered?

I agree that the *more* unusual and idiosyncratic, the more a kitchen is needed here.

• davidro1
    12 years ago

ditto williemon

• vitamins
    12 years ago

I don't really think there is an "anti-white" or "white cabinet bashing", certainly not on my part. I think the many white and/or cream-colored kitchen that have been revealed here are stunning. They just weren't for me! I lived with a painted kitchen for over 44 years, so I did not want one when I remodeled--I wanted stained wood.

I love looking at all of the kitchens revealed on GW - white or otherwise. There is something to be learned from different ways of doing things. As my high school graduating class motto (many years ago) said -- "Variety is the spice of life"! (Not your typical HS motto, but I guess you could say we weren't typical!)

• beekeeperswife
    12 years ago

vitamins, I guess I didn't word that correctly, apologies to all.

• doggonegardener
    12 years ago

BKW,

I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE your kitchen. To look at your "before" and your "after" and realize that they are largely the same cabinets leaves me dumbfounded. I had seen your after. Many times. I had loved it from the start. I know that in the last few days especially there has been a lot of excitement about things not white and not soapstone (guess I am doomed on one of those counts myself as I have soapstone counters). I really hope folks such as yourself don't take this as white kitchen bashing.

When we first bought our farmhouse, built in 1900, I was determined to have a white kitchen. White cabinets, glass fronts, stainless appliances, oak floors (like the rest of our house), farmhouse sink. It was my total vision.

As I started to really consider white I became concerned. I hadn't really GW'd much and would never have thought of PAINTING cabinets. I was thinking only in terms of what was commercially available...bright, stark white. From the chair rail down to the floor of our house and all the trim and doors are a creamy white. How would this work? I couldn't figure. Still never occurred to me to paint the cabinets, or have someone do it for me. I shifted gears to an IKEA door that I really liked. It was discontinued. We ended up with light, natural maple as time led us to evolve our plans for the room.

I still love white kitchens. I think most people love white kitchens (ooooh, that'll get me in the doghouse). I just didn't end up with one.

I think the new vibe in the forum is refreshing. I hope it lasts. To see people come out of the woodwork is really nice. To have people sharing all sorts of kitchens and all sorts of ideas is great.

I will go out on a limb and say that things, FOR ME, had become a little stale in here. It had become a little "cultlike". I hope it will continue to be a place where valuable and correct information is provided but I also hope it will be a spot where people can go out on a limb and not feel chastised. At the same time, I hope it doesn't swing into "reverse discrimination".

I love your kitchen. The colors. The tile. It's very classy and unique and inviting.

Here's to white kitchens, and maple kitchens, and I think someone was considering turquoise cabinets not too long ago (I remember seeing a photo). Here's to galleys and U's and L's and crazy fusion kitchens like the one with the pocket doors and the oh so modern "box" around the stairs. Here's to kitchens with fish on the walls like Pharaoh's. Here's to the kitchen with the custom green froggy tiles. Here's to the kitchen with the black India ink countertops.

I love them all!

• shelayne
    12 years ago

I understand what you are saying, Bee. I figure by the time I finally post our finished kitchen, everyone will be rolling their eyes and saying, "Creamy white cabinets. How passe. *Yawn*".

But I don't care! I am so friggin' excited to be thisclose to the finish line, I can barely stand it-- creamy white, prep sink, white subways and all! This kind of kitchen may be common on GW, but it is not common in my area by any stretch. We're still rockin' the golden oak or the light maple in these parts, so out here I am totally UNIQUE! How 'bout that! :^D

I love to look at ALL the kitchens, but I have a very special fondness for the DIY kitchens--with any budget. I love the creativity and talent on this board! So, Ally Ally in come free! Let's see your stuff! ;^)

Oh, and I meant to say--Bee, don't EVER feel bad about posting your kitchen--it is MAAAAHHHHHVELOUS!

• ohblondie
    12 years ago

I'm a lurker! I've only been a lurker for a couple of months, and I'll likely be a lurker for a while before I have anything to post.

I discovered this site only recently, and this discovery is very timely, as we will be redoing our kitchen in its entirety. But not right away--other things in the forefront at the moment. At this point, I am drinking in everything. I've waited so long to re-do my ugly kitchen, I want to do it right, and I've already gained so much valuable info from this site. It seems like most of the people I know don't put a whole lot of thought into how to make their kitchens more efficient and work better for them, but are just focused on how pretty it looks--the right cabinets, countertop, backsplash, etc. Of course those are important considerations, but the most valuable info I am gaining is how to make my kitchen work great for me.

Pleaes, keep it up, everyone. We lurkers may not say much, but we sure are gaining a lot!

• amielynn
    12 years ago

The words "passe" and "dated" should be banned from GW, those words alone drive me crazy. Seriously they are worse than swear words! Every time I see a post with one of those maddening words I just think;

Why? Are you designing a kitchen for you? Or someone else?

Doggonegardener worded my thoughts much better than I could. And the

"Here's to white kitchens, and maple kitchens, and I think someone was considering turquoise cabinets not too long ago (I remember seeing a photo). Here's to galleys and U's and L's and crazy fusion kitchens like the one with the pocket doors and the oh so modern "box" around the stairs. Here's to kitchens with fish on the walls like Pharaoh's. Here's to the kitchen with the custom green froggy tiles. Here's to the kitchen with the black India ink countertops.

I love them all!"

All I can say is DITTO!

• gillycat
    12 years ago

thanks pllog
    your words are also so wise and kind
    I do feel like "My kitchen is different, there's no one like me, I'd better post, they need me!"

Also - I LOVE my kitchen
    my small but fabulous kitchen
    I don't care that it isn't as grand, as large, as roomy or as anything as anyone else's
    it is mine
    it has my personality
    So i do write to the forum to share my ideas and have posted pictures ( although not a complete finished yet as i am still trying to figure some things out

This forum, has given me so much in the way of inspiration, reassurance, information, advice, laughter. friendliness and support
    I take any good i can and ignore the rest
    This is what I suggest to any one out there

it is about kitchens and if you have something to say there will be at least one person here who will be glad to read what you say. So speak up and show off but if you don't want to that is also perfectly fine

• caryscott
    12 years ago

"I feel as if there is a trend towards "anti-white" cabinets, and "white cabinet bashing""

Really? Why? Seems like about 3 of us have confessed that we are a little over it? Not much of a backlash is it really? I was around when redroze was doing hers (an inspiration of yours as I recall) so I'm ready for something different. I always try to be clear that it isn't that many of the kitchens are not beautiful or lovely but, for me, "the look" is getting a little stale\safe. I'm no paragon of good taste (far from it) so why is it a problem if I want to say I'm ready for something different? What's the threat? There is still a plethora of praise for these kitchens and it's not like I'm breaking into threads proclaiming finished kitchens to be terrible.

To be honest I still quite like white cabinetry its' certain iterations of "white kitchens" I'm over.

• louisianapurchase
    12 years ago

I totally get plllog's original peeve of the poster who out of nowhere swooshes in to post their finished kitchen with no mention of the help or ideas they received from the forum as if they are just wanting praise for their fantastic space. This does not included lurkers who state that they have read and gleaned lots of valuable information over the course of their remodel. I have only seen a few of these type of swoosh in for the praise type posters but they do happen and as expected they are never heard from again. I will also admit to commenting on the beauty of some of these spaces so in that light I am a total hypocrit.

I think the main issue with this is that if you are here on the KF it is b/c you have a great desire to acheive an amazing space and in joining the forum to create this space you have joined a community. We as a community like to participate in each others kitchen goingsons and that's why we are here. Different members have their strengths (e.g. layouts)and weaknesses (e.g. color choices) and that's what makes this forum a whole.

I think that most members like to feel involved as the process goes along, seeing the progress, hearing the challenges, etc. That is what makes this a community. It is as if we have all sat in one another's kitchens for that virtual glass of wine or tea and learned about each other's lives to an extent. So for someone to come in and post their showpiece and not acknowledge that they have been lurkers (I understand these) and/or learned anything from this forum it is kind of a turn off as I enjoy learning about each and every one of you and your space. Just ask my family as they get to hear about many of you more than they like. So I totally get the peeve.

Otherwise, I love all types of kitchens and enjoy seeing white kitchens, modern kitchens, unfitted kitchens, farmhouse kitchens, MCM kitchens, all wood kitchens, etc. etc. I love to see kitchens designed and used in real life context versus shelter mags or real estate sites (staged). Real life context is what makes them home and I think I have gotten too wordy. Sorry.

Shannon

• Dea_NY
    12 years ago

Frequent lurker and very occasional poster here. I have gotten so much from the finished kitchen photos, but after reading the post-that-shall-not-be-named I did feel a little reluctant to post our finished project (now 75% completed). I really appreciate this followup.

I also like Palimpsest's note on the different styles that people have when they are new to a group and/or to a topic. I've always been a silent, (but appreciative) information sponge, a style that I have adopted on this board just like in real life.

I am such a design novice and have no eye for detail (before our kitchen planning, I don't think that I could have picked our old faucet out of a lineup), so I haven't felt like I have much to offer. The few times I have, I've chimed in. I've always felt that one of my better qualities is that I generally refrain from talking about things that I know next to nothing about. So I read, and I learn. A million thanks to those who share their knowledge and advice on this board. My friends also thank you, because this board makes it possible for me not to talk about my kitchen remodel constantly.

P. S. I will never get tired of The White Kitchen, although my heart breaks just a little every time I see one. It's the kitchen I've always wanted, but it wasn't right for the rest of our house.

• coastal_modern_love
    12 years ago

I'd like to add that I "found" GW right after I pretty much finished first ever remodel, my kitchen. I was upset because I had made all these choices all on my own and here was this great resource that I totally missed out on. So I became an off and on lurker until I began planning my beach house remodel. At that point I came out of lurkerdom and started posting questions, seeking help in finishes etc. People here have helped me create my space and I am grateful! But I am guilty as well. After joining and seeking help on that project, I posted my finished modern kitchen. This was mostly so people could get a sense of my style and see why I was switching gears so radically in the current project. My reason for wanting an "oh so overdone white kitchen". Which, by the way is not too common in my parts. I think out of everyone I know who has a new kitchen, only one has done white cabs! I've never seen marble counters or walnut islands IRL and just love seeing all these different and "new to me styles"! Keep posting your pics PLEASE!

Honestly, I never imagined people here would see my kitchen and "get it". Or like my modern, dark oak cabinets, quartz counters and blingy light fixtures, as it was not the standard (as so many like to call it). But I took my chances and thought I could add something different. If I had any idea people here had a pet peeve about posting finished kitchen reveals I would never have posted it. But the positive feedback I got was surprising and made me proud of my choices. I am now so glad I went with what I loved, even though it was outside the norm (for my area at least) and hope I have inspired others who want to take a chance on something different.

My point, don't be afraid to post or show off your creations! Everyone is so different and we each bring something new and different to our fellow obsessed. I love seeing what people are creating, and especially the different, quirky or unexpected! So In case anyone here thought I was one of those swoop-in-for-applause finished kitchen posters, you now know how and why.

• Luvspring
    12 years ago

I think this forum is awesome. My favorite part ARE the pics of finished kitchens. And I DO like to see them ALL!!! And for those that reply often, You guys are wonderful. THANK YOU for your time.

• calimama
    12 years ago

I love this forum. I love the white kitchens, the wood, the metal. heck, I even loved that one in Africa that someone posted that looked like it was made of clay! I especially love when someone posts something done on a shoestring budget. I love my kitchen, but I am most proud of the elements my DH and I did ourselves. I have never posted a full kitchen reveal, but I have posted several pictures of my kitchen for different questions or responses. I know that not everyone would like my kitchen, and I will admit I am a bit intimidated by the perfect kitchens that get posted and look like a magazine cover.

Still, I love this place! Thanks Plllog for encouraging more pictures! Keep'em coming!

• louisianapurchase
    12 years ago

Coastal,

I hope you don't think I was talking about you. I totally wasn't. You are not one who posted then disappeared. You joined and have let us get to know you with your new kitchen and your new beach house kitchen. Though I admit I was confused for awhile b/c when you have posted about the beach kitchen I would be like "I swear that was the name of the fabulous modern kitchen." I believe I commented on your modern kitchen.

I also know there are many who don't find this fabulous resource until after they are done with their space. I encourage those people to post their finished kitchens but not to disappear. They should continue to be a part of the forum. They may not have had input before their remodel from the forum but they can "pay it forward" with their kitchen woes and highlights to the next person who is going through the kitchen remodel battle.

This is my point....just don't post a FK and disappear. We want to get to know and learn from you. So you may not of had the good fortune of finding GW before or during your remodel, but you have now. Stick with us and pass it on!

Shannon
    (the one who joined 4 years ago and still has no new kitchen!)

• annachosaknj6b
    12 years ago

CML, if you hadn't posted pictures of your amazing contemporary kitchen, our world would not be the same.

• joan2121
    12 years ago

This is a wonderful forum for ALL- whether you post or not. I was a lurker for a long time before I started asking questions. I got sooo much info from GW. I loved looking at other people kitchen and stole all kinds of ideas. I don't think it matters one bit what kind of kitchen you are doing, white or wood, big or small, high end or low budget, - someone on GW will help you with your decisions.
    AND, I think a lot of people do "go absent" for a while when their remodel is done. I know I have. But, I still like to check in and see what's going on.
    Thanks to all of you on GW!

• desertsteph
    12 years ago

great thread - thx plllg. I knew there were lots of others lurking out there who were intimidated by the fabulous, huge, expensive remodels! and yes, yours is a 'high end' one - many are, but you (and they can and some do) give input, help, encouragement to those who aren't in that category. There's nothing wrong with you being 'high end'! Your kitchen is awesome - and you have a sample of corner drawers for us - not that I'll get them (or neato counters like yours) but I looove looking at 'em.

Just because you do a 'high end' one and I'm not doesn't mean I can't gain from seeing yours (anyone's) besides just the beauty of it. There's often something in them that can be used that I (anyone else) wouldn't have thought of but can somehow adapt to use in my/our own remodel. It might just be a color combo, a window treatment, cabinet pulls but might be just what someone out here has been needing to see for their own redo.

I've always thought the low budget kitchen updates and remodels were well received on here. It's very encouraging to see what some can do with little (like mama g!). It does make me think more about repurposing and gets me thinking out of the 'box'.

So lurkers and those intimidated - remember there are those of us out here just waiting to see your remodel! there are all kinds of remodels out there - from the expensive to the low budget and everything in between them. Priorities are different with different people (families).

So jump in and balance out the board!

• na_praha
    12 years ago

While I've posted occasionally, I think I fall into the category of lurker. In my case - and that of others, I suspect - this is not for lack of desire to participate more actively in the forum, it's for lack of time. I have a small child (who likes to "help" me type) and a home-based business, and just getting to READ the fascinating posts here is a guilty pleasure, much less getting to comment. We're fininshing up the second very modest kitchen remodel/refresh project we've completed since I discovered this forum, and everything we've done has been influenced by what I've learned here. That said, no one is going to be blown away by our work, and I hesitate to the post the latest, a very low budget update of a 60s kitchen where we've kept all existing white (gasp) appliances including a gorgeous, space-hogging Chambers stove, because it does feel unfair never to comment on others' posts and then to ask for praise of your own project. But I love looking at all your kitchens so much that I might just in the spirit of sharing. Anyway, thanks for starting this thread, plllog. It's certainly made for interesting lurking! ;-)

• louisianapurchase
    12 years ago

na praha...you must post that awesome chamber's stove! You must, you must :):):) Those are fabulous and I bet your kitchen is fab. Don't feel intimidated. I promise I am not trying to sound bossy...just encouraging :)

• MCMesprit
    12 years ago

Forgive me if this has been suggested already in this thread, but can something like this (perhaps a version of the OP message) be posted as part of the "new to GW-Kitchens" standing thread? There are many reasons to lurk or be quiet, but it is clear that for some of us all we need is a bit of encouragement. This thread has certainly done that -- Thanks!

• betsyhac
    12 years ago

I've been reading and rarely posting in this forum for - dare I say it - over a year now and still don't have a finished kitchen. This forum is intimidating and entertaining and informative, has given me myriad new ideas, cleared up my confusion, caused me confusion, caused information overload, etc. etc. Will I post finished kitchen pics? Probably not. You don't know me as a regular, bc I don't have the time to be a regular, so I may then be accused of being a "Johnny Come Lately." Although some posts here can be snipey at times, or come across as bragging, in general, it's all good, really good. And I'm continually amazed at the dynamic of this forum, the whole of it is good and it always centers back to that because of those same regulars who are also accused of being too harsh. In so many other Inet places, people are nasty simply bc they can be anonymous. That doesn't happen much here bc it's not tolerated. I love that. How I wish I had more time to spend here. I learn so much in so many ways. I wish Americans could discuss politics as constructively as the GWers discuss kitchens. :)

• Adrienne Gray
    12 years ago

Guilty of the drop in!!!

Excuses of being a work at home mom with small children in the middle of building a house and moving aside, can I say that I'm actually quite intimidated by the depth of knowledge that so many here have to offer? So when I'm here (as spurts allow) I tend to not open my mouth unless it's to offer something I have direct experience with or just a little encouragement. It's the reason I lurked for so long, and sat up late with my husband pouring over things like vent hood overlap margin and cfms. Because there are so many truly knowledgeable folks in these parts!

Can I tell you how amazed I am when someone comes on with their rough first draft and pages worth of input are given? I'm struck at how detailed and patient everyone is with something that this visulaizing klutz can't even wrap my mind around!

I too hate words like "passe", and "trended out" because if anything the endless options of building has taught me is that there is no right answer. Because unless it's YOUR right answer, by nature of crowd think, it's fleeting.

I built my white kitchen knowing that in 6 months to 2 years, something newer, better, more awe-inspiring very well could try and compete for my affections. But
    I've got kids to raise and values to instill, and I have to hope that when it does come along, I can cheer on the next crowd towards the next design breakthrough while being content with what I have.

I will likely never build a 30,000 sq foot remote palace in Montana with a gift wrapping room, a flower cutting room, or get my husband ever take me seriously if were to show him a custom La Canche. But I don't resent the folks who do and I covet the sharing of their end work. Because through their sharing I get the benefit of their global travels, the architects who's fees were more than my house, and their decorators ideas!

On the same hand, I value every detail of the suburban remodel. Every effort to go beyond the big box uniform is a spark of creativity, love, and build of home and family. After all, isn't that what these kitchens are for?

There something inherently good about a place where people give their experience and knowledge freely. It's up to us to be adult enough to recognize the inherent personalities involved and choose to see the good. I sincerely hope popping in and displaying a milestone in our kitchen and then popping out for a spell didn't contribute to the ruffling of anyone's feathers.

I love what betsyhac said... I wish Americans could discuss politics as constructively as the GWers discuss kitchens!

• vinesandroses
    12 years ago

hmmmmmm. this topic touches on another issue - there are some people who may not want to post their kitchens for privacy reasons - there can be something unsettling about sharing the heart of your home with the general public and not knowing who's looking at your kitchen. I've gone back and forth myself about this but only browse the KF occassionally and give credit to people with the courage to share such a personal endeavor with those they don't know.

• cosanostra
    12 years ago

I'm a lurker - been lurking/freeloading for about 2 years. I'm posting now because I want na praha to post her stove. I love seeing retro appliances being worked into updated/renovated kitchens.

• misntroya
    12 years ago

I'm a lurker, too, but have posted a few times recently. I love seeing everyone's kitchens, and have gotten a lot of good ideas from this site. We have a 10'x10' kitchen with 2 huge windows and 3 doorways. When I bought 2 large vintage appliances(Magic Chef 1000 stove and GE monitor top 2 door fridge), DH decided we'd need to expand the kitchen, so he added 10 feet on to the back. But this will be an almost 100% DIY project-so don't look for pictures anytime soon. He is retired and has the time, but the going is slow with the horrible heat and humidity we're experiencing. I want to mention that my stove only has 2 working burners and the oven and broiler also don't work anymore. I need this remodel badly.

• isabelscott
    12 years ago

I LOVE LOVE LOVE this forum.... I am doing a kitchen remodel with a small budget but big dreams. I asked my first question the other day. The answers blew me away! I never expected people to take so much time and consideration in their answers. Every single answer was personal and helpful. I still don't know what to do but I cannot tell you all how much I appreciate the different outlooks on my situation. I certainly cannot afford a KD... but with all of you who would need one?!

My husband is in the military and we move a lot I NEVER thought I would get to plan and design a kitchen until he retired and we could stay in one place. But thanks to some really BAD renters I was left with no choice.

I went to school for textile design and love anything design related. I take my opportunity to redesign this kitchen VERY SERIOUSLY and it is an old home. I will do everything in my power and budget to keep the historic integrity of this home intact.

I am lurking on here almost all the time ...I am kitchen OBSESSED... I don't even use google anymore I just come straight here. I sit here and read every post and every answer after the kids go to bed. I am usually to tired to comment and make any sense but I am here :)
    I am pretty sure I blew away the cabinet maker and granite sales woman with my vast knowledge of inset cabinets and my feelings on different typed of granite probably annoyingly so.... But I knew none of this until I read every post on here.

This forum has been a blessing for me and probably my marriage b/c for some reason my husband does not want to talk about the kitchen all day everyday...
    Thank you all and I will try to post more b/c you are right! It might just help some other lurker or one of y'all!

P.S. I will never ever get tired of anyone soapstone and white cabinets keep em coming :)

• poochinator
    12 years ago

We just finished a large renovation on our 1940's bungalow. I could not have done it without all of the talented, clever, creative, smart, informed posters at Gardenweb. I am forever grateful!!!!!

I was a lurker until lately...now I have some experience to share.

That said, welcome lurkers, frequent posters, and everyone in between. Gardenweb is my go to for all advice about my home!

I am hoping to post my kitchen when I can gather all of my photos and figure out how to post....did I just admit to being disorganized??

Peace and joy to Gardenweb.

• timberframe4us
    12 years ago

White kitchens are IN?? Clearly I have not kept up well with the kitchen forum! I'm sure I remember just reading a post that said "you'll never sell that house with all that white in the kitchen!" LOL.

Post your pictures! There are plenty of people that love the ideas and don't give a flying-fish what is IN. I collected ideas for *years* while building (for years!) my house. If it works for me, who cares if it is IN?? Well, some people do, but I plan to be in this house for a long time so I'm designing everything for me and my family. If you're only going to be in your house for a short time and resale is important, then you do need to consider how others think.

So, when I get off my duff and post my pics, enjoy what inspires you and leave the rest for someone else. If you have concerns about why something wouldn't work in a particular situation, feel free to comment, but remember that situation may not apply to everyone. I.e., what are perfectly valid concerns for some have no impact whatsoever on others. A *really* simple example of that would be something like "I would NEVER do [that]. Humidity would make it rot." from a poster in Florida. Someone in Arizona is unlikely to care and should read that as "If you live in a high-humidity area, as I do, you should consider that [that] would likely rot within 3 years."

In general, keep in mind that ideal writing skills are not a pre-requisite for using these wonderful forums!