Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
young_gardener54

need input on appliance layout

young-gardener
9 years ago

We are having a hard time settling on appliance placement for our remodel. To the extent possible, we would like to avoid *too* much movement because we're working with a very, very tight budget. We've been leaving the range on it's current wall because there is gas in that area, which we plan to access for the conversion from electric. The DW/sink combo, as you'll see, hasn't moved far either. But, the fridge....well, it's an issue for us.

Any ideas for what would work the best given the flow of our space? We are open to totally new suggestions, too. I've simply been trying to work around DH's request of having one solid wall of window. He'd like NOTHING tall on that wall, but I've told him I really need at least a couple of feet of the wall space since the room is so small.

Dilemma: He'd like to keep the fridge on the breakfast room end, but then we either 1. see it from the library/foyer or 2. run into it upon entering the room. If I move it to the other end of the kitchen, traffic from the laundry room (which has no other entry option) becomes a concern.

Here are some of the options I've mapped out...nothing exciting:

And, in case a visual helps, here is the space as it is now (we haven't moved in yet::

Taken from laundry doorway
{{!gwi}}

Taken from current entry from library, which we plan to enlarge

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

breakfast space
{{!gwi}}

As far as functionality, we have a little one and one on the way. Breakfast will happen at the bay window bench. Lunch will be split between there and the sunroom, which is where we are putting the large dining table (odd, I know). Dinner will be a mix of the two as well. DH often works quite late, so we don't always get to use the dining room.

I do cook and bake all of our meals daily (including bread), and I work mostly from scratch.

There is a pantry in the laundry room, as well, and we'll also be adding dry good storage and a few cabinets in there.

THANK YOU!

Comments (14)

• christina222_gw
    9 years ago

I'd put the sink and range on the outside wall. No uppers on that wall. Code may not allow a window over the range though. Moving the gas line isn't that expensive usually. The fridge should be at the eating end of the kitchen. Pantries etc all on that wall.

You've got a traffic path right through this kitchen so sink and range opposite each other is particularly unsafe.

What is the relationship to the laundry/pantry space? Can you include a drawing of that? Perhaps some space could be poached from there. With such a small space you might even consider putting the fridge in the pantry.

• young-gardener
    Original Author
    9 years ago

THanks, Christina! Yes, crossing between sink/range is a concern. I was left wondering, though, if I'd have enough functional counter space if they were on the same wall. (Does that make sense?) It felt like having space on the other wall without the actual appliances might make it a dead zone. No? We had a patch of worthless counter space in our last house, so that's a fear of mine.

The pantry in the laundry is adjacent to the kitchen, on the sink wall. From wall to outer corner, the pantry measures 40"w but only 28"d. Across from it will be laundry cabinetry (open, for baskets).

I'll see if I can get some pictures/dimensions of the laundry room worked up. I hadn't thought of stealing space there. The room is roughly 9x9.5, so OK for a laundry, but not spacious by any means. I cloth diaper our little ones, so I do a lot of laundry and air drying. :) When DH wanted to leave the laundry room doorless, I hesitated, for sure. haha!

• debrak2008
    9 years ago

I would also put the range and sink on the outside wall and the fridge and mw on the other side. Never assume moving utility lines are expensive. They are DIYable if you are handy.

• young-gardener
    Original Author
    9 years ago

OK, here is a more babyproofed setup. :) For the sake of speed, I just threw some cabinets on the fridge wall. That wall will take a lot of adjusting. But, as far as appliance layout/function/flow....here's a look. Thoughts on counter space??

I tried going upperless on the fridge wall (for DH), and it just looked like the elephant in the room. Soooo....going to have to work out cabinetry on that wall. BUT....the double appliance wall doesn't bug me like I thought it would. Off to show DH....

• User
    9 years ago

We're just wrapping up a remodel of a galley kitchen that flows into a breakfast room (now that we've opened up the load-bearing wall.) It's smaller and skinnier than yours, and surely gets more through traffic since our living room is on the other end. But I was adamant about keeping the range and sink on the same side - it's much more efficient and obviously cuts down on the possibility of unforeseen accidents.

We actually flipped our whole layout, moving the sink and gas line to the outside wall and the fridge to the inside wall. We are on a slab and I tried everything to avoid the expense and (at least in my mind) risks of these moves. In the end it took the contractors about a day of work to do it - sure it cost more, but if I'd realized how easy it was I would have done it much earlier.

The fridge wall is definitely not a 'dead zone' (even though we recessed the fridge and used reduced depth lowers to expand our aisle to 4ft.) The toaster and blender are there, kids snacks in the lowers, microwave on the wall - so it gets a lot of use for sandwich making, fridge landing, etc.

Just a couple of thoughts on your last layout above; you will do a lot of prep work between the sink and the range - do you really want your dishwasher there? Some people don't mind; others do - I never did before (when it was my only prep space) but now I'm glad to have drawers between the sink and range. And speaking of that, where do dishes go after you unload the d/w? I had to think through these placements carefully given how small our space is, but it would be a good check of your layout to imagine where you'd put prep stuff, cookware, dishware and go through the motions to lay everything out as conveniently as possible. Good luck - your space seems great and I look forward to seeing the end result.

• mgmum
    9 years ago

I have a small galley I just reno'd. I did not have gas lines to move. I kept the footprint the same to keep costs down. I have from the entry of the house end, range, 24" counter, sink, 24" counter/dishwasher, and then the fridge next to the dining/living room entry.

The other side has my 24" pantry and 66" of counter space. I do a lot of prep on that 66". I do not have an open floor plan so was quite limited on space. The drawers next to the stove have cooking tools and pots/pans. The drawer opposite the dishwasher has all the lunch bags, tupperware, snack dishes, plastic drinking glasses, and the bottom is assorted mixing bowls and other stuff. The cutlery is on that side too.

If you want to go upperless on the fridge side, then I think the fridge has to be on the end and "boxed in." If it's in the middle of the room, it will look weird, I think.

• young-gardener
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sorry for the delay!

smalloldhouse- Thanks for the input on the DW. I hadn't thought about blocking it for others while prepping. Yes, I do think it should be moved. The dishes are going in the hutch, so that will put it even closer. Perfect.

MGMum- Thank you for the sample layout! It's good to hear how others are using a galley. Yes, boxed in seems like the best option, for sure. Nothing as ugly as a floating fridge. :)

• ssdarb
    9 years ago

If you want to change the location of your cooktop or range, and are worried about moving the gas line, you could go with induction instead of gas. I thought I wanted gas in my remodel, but decided to go with induction and I am blown away, I love it so much. I could go on and on, but it's embarrasing how much I love it. I have totally bored my neighbors and family talking about it.

• young-gardener
    Original Author
    9 years ago

strayer- Boy am I glad to hear I'm not the only one who gushes over kitchen stuff. DH glazes over as soon as I break out the pictures or start talking about the kitchen. :) I don't know much about induction. It might be worth looking into. We've had electric these last couple of months in our transitional housing, and I KNOW I don't like that. ha!

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

The only thing a traditional electric cooktop and an induction cooktop have in common is electricity :-)

• rmtdoug
    9 years ago

Do you expect frequent and prolonged power outages? If not, induction all the way.

• ssdarb
    9 years ago

I was about to type out all the reasons I'm so happy with my choice of induction, but I don't want to hijack your thread since you were asking about appliance layout.

As far as appliances go, I'm not a designer, but with lots of kids, a busy house, and being a scratch cook, I like having the fridge and microwave placed so that people going there don't cross my cooking zone. And I like having a range-sink-DW lineup rather than having the DW between the range and sink.

• young-gardener
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Good point about the crossing of the cooking zone. I never really thought about it since our last fridge was out of the way, but DH is constantly in the fridge munching while I cook. And, I do like to "load as I go," so having it between the sink and range wouldn't be wise.

• ssdarb
    9 years ago

Another advantage of having the DW a little bit away from the range is that as the kids get older they can unload or load for you without being in your way between the range and sink. I wish we had 2 dishwashers, but there's no room for that. So often times I'm asking the kids to unload the previous load so that I can load as I go while cooking. It's a constant stream of dishes.

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022