Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
happyhollisters

Giallo Veneziano

happyhollisters
12 years ago

Does anyone know if Giallo Veneziano have to be sealed?

Thank you so much!

Comments (6)

• MCMesprit
    12 years ago

My understanding is that the porosity of a rock can vary a lot even within the same quarry. Speaking very generally, the lighter the stone, the more likely it will need to be sealed. We recently installed a light granite (golden rock) that the fabricator sealed right after installation. We've been using a cleaner that contains a small amount of sealer. Our fabricator said that if we use this cleaner at least once a month we would never need to reseal the granite. It's been several months and the granite has been impervious to water, wine, or just about anything else. So, based on our experience, I don't think sealing a granite is a big deal.

• azstoneconsulting
    12 years ago

Not trying to be "self promoting" but we always seal our stones that we install or fab for others to install....

I have has outstanding results using 511 Porous Plus from Miracle Sealants.

There are others out there too - like Hydrex that also work well - hopefully, your Fabricator can help you decide which one you should use, or he has a specific brand that he's had good results with too...

In any event - I would say seal your Giallo Veneziano (Classico, Firorito or Napoleone)

HTH

kevin

• niffy
    12 years ago

We had giallo veneziano in our condo... Never sealed it in 4 years, no problems! We moved and did the same giallo in our house, and I think the fabricators sealed it, and I may have sealed it one other time in 7 years... It was very impervious.

• azstoneconsulting
    12 years ago

Most Giallo Ven now days is resined at the finishing plant, which helps to provide a limited measure of protection on the surface. Sealing - in addition to the resining process - helps to extend the stain RESISTANT quality of the stone, and this is why many folks that have this process done to their stone - will tell you that they can go up to 7 years between coats of sealer, and this is what has prolly taken place in Niffy's situation.

Niffy - Your Fabricator probably sealed all of your tops in his shop before he brought them out to install (NOT trying to sound "self promoting" here but, we do this too, as it makes our overall process more efficient for my company) at install, we re-seal over seams, and/or any area we have to surface polish, etc...

After having done this gig for a living (Stone Fabrication) since 1985, this is what I've seen over the last 26 years.........

Get a coat of good sealer on your stone, and then wipe up spills and stains AS THEY OCCUR (not 12 to 24 hours later...HA HA) and you'll be fine !!!

HTH

kevin

• marble_com
    12 years ago

As others have already said, yes it has to be sealed. I recommend Dupont Bulletproof Sealer. It's water-based and a strong impregnator of stone to keep it stain resistant. Once you seal the stone, you should be fine for 2-3 years. The best way to check if a stone needs to be sealed at the moment is to do a water spill test. All you have to do is simply spill some water on the stone and wait some time, half an hour to an hour. If the area where you spilled the water on darkens, this means that it's time for the stone to be reseal as the water has soak into the stone instead of staying on the surface with the help of the sealer. Hope this helps.

• happyhollisters
    Original Author
    12 years ago

This has all been very helpful.

Thank you all very much!