Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
illinigirl_gw

how to handle hardware on cabinets flanking range- help please

illinigirl
9 years ago

I designed the two cabinets flanking my range to look symmetrical however they have different functions. One is a pullout for my tall cookie/baking sheets. The other is a regular hinged cabinet that has a shelf for cutting boards. They look identical from the outside, and I would like to put hardware on each to maintain the symmetry. Should I put a pull on each one, horizontal or vertical, or should I put a knob on each one? Either way, one of them will open a bit funny (which is ok to me as I figure I'll learn how to open it over time).

Which way will be easiest to open both of them?

[img]

[/img]

Comments (20)

• OOTM_Mom
    9 years ago

It appears you are using knobs everywhere. If so, I would stick with the knobs, and mount them such that the cabinet door opens normally, and make it symmetrical on the pull-out, as I think it would be easier to open a pull-out with an off centered knob than a cabinet door.

• fishymom
    9 years ago

I have the same set up, my pullout has a knob and my hinged cabinet has a vertical handle. In my case, function over form.

• illinigirl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

thanks OOTM. The drawings aren't correct with hardware though. I am using pulls on all the drawers, knobs on the upper doors, and *maybe* latches on the upper uppers (if not, then knobs).

Does this change anything in your eyes? You 'get' my question though about how it would be to open a pullout with an off center knob/pull vs opening a regular door with a centered horizontal pull.

Wondering if it would be easy to open a pullout with a vertical pull placed on the left (closest to range) edge, and then have a pull on the left cabinet vertically on the right (closest to range) edge. It would be the only place in the kitchen with vertical pulls though.

• illinigirl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

oops, we cross posted fishymom! Thanks for letting me know how you handled your same setup! I feel like if I went different on each, I'd want a horizontal pull on the pullout and a knob on the hinged door. These doors are only 11" wide so not too heavy so I could get away with knobs and no problems opening I think.

• MizLizzie
    9 years ago

I have spice cabs flanking my cooktop and we mounted 5" pulls vertically. I think it would work for you. Visually similar.

• elizabeth714
    9 years ago

i keep it consistant. pulls on pulls; knobs on doors

• fishymom
    9 years ago

My hinged cabinet is next to the pantry and it has tall doors with vertical handles. All my wall cabinets have knobs, base drawers have horizontal handles and base hinged doors have vertical handles. The cabinets that flank my range are small also, really could have gone any way with them.

• autumn.4
    9 years ago

Illini-we did horizontal pulls on all lowers, no matter what. 12" door and super susan. Vertical pulls on uppers. No knobs.

• illinigirl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Also my two trash pullouts will have horizontal pulls....one is across the aisle from the pullout shown, and another is on one side of my island not near either of these.

The island stands in front of the range wall.

• illinigirl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Autumn, interesting. Tell me more about the horizontal pull on your 12" door. Where do you have that located on that door exactly? How is it to open.

I like the knobs that match the pulls I chose so I decided knobs on uppers. I will still have a pull on the drawer at the bottom of the hutch.

• illinigirl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Also Autumn what sized pulls did you go with? My max drawer width is 30" including the stiles. Looking at the flat panel part only with out the stiles it's probably 24 max.....and I'd like to use the pulls that are 6" centers and 7 1/8" overall width. I hope that is long enough because the next size up is 12" and those are priced at $99.00, well out of my price range for the almost 30 pulls I need in my kitchen.

Not quite understanding that jump of 11-ish dollars for the 7" pull up to 99 dollars for the 12-13" pull.

• romy718
    9 years ago

I like the horizontal pulls on MizLizzie's two cabinets that flank her cooktop.

• robo (z6a)
    9 years ago

I vote horizontal pulls because I think it would be easiest to open a cabinet door by hooking a finger on one side of the pull, rather than either a centered knob on the door, or yanking a pullout off centre.

I too would use the same hardware choice on both sides even though the function is different. Would definitely be a small form over function choice for me.

• OOTM_Mom
    9 years ago

I think having vertical pulls would work as well as knobs. Watch the projection distance with different sized pulls. The larger I went, the larger the projection. The 12" length stuck out a lot further than the 7" length. Just something to keep inmind. I had to switch pulls because the ones I really liked had too big a variance in projection. I like the ones I ended up with, and the projection for the different lengths is pretty close.

• cookncarpenter
    9 years ago

Another vote for horizontal, if you must match.
    However, I also think a vertical on the door, and a horizontal on the pull out would be just fine. As a recovering compulsive symmetry freak, I've finally learned to loosen up and appreciate unbalance, especially when form follows function....I even ordered my range with one red knob for the griddle ;)

This post was edited by ctycdm on Mon, Jun 2, 14 at 23:14

• autumn.4
    9 years ago

I will post tomorrow early from work. My phone is acting up and stil no Internet.

• oldbat2be
    9 years ago

Horizontal pulls.

• autumn.4
    9 years ago

Okay - quickly.

I was so frustrated also with the price jump in larger pulls. It seems that if they 'code' it an 'appliance' pull they want upwards of $50 bucks for one. I found only around 3 different pulls that had the larger sizes at $7-10. Grr! So we did end up going with the Greenwich because we liked it well enough (would have preferred a bit more traditional but I don't think it looks ultra modern) and it wasn't going to break the bank.

So we are doing like MissLizzie but ALL horizontal. I just picked up the rest of my pulls, they were on back order. So, dh doesn't have the uppers installed yet or the 2 lowers that are doors but will be horizontal.

I apologize in advance - there is stuff everywhere. I tried to get it all out of the frame but....... We are no where near settled from moving but it is what it is!

Here is the island - the sink base next to the trash - all horizontal. Sorry for the dark photo:

Area that has a drawers, a 12" door and then the susan. These will be the medium pulls - 5ish inches. I can look the exact up if you want.

I tried to hold one and take a pic this morning. Did my best but it should be a further away shot. My helpers were still in bed. :)

So I don't think there is really a wrong or right. Do what you like. We are still doing vertical on the uppers. Once it's finished I'll post a pic...hopefully this week! I used the rule of thirds that I found in a breezygirl post a while back. All of our drawers on the perimeter are 33" or 36" - and I used the largest pull ~10". The 18" and 21" on the island I used the medium ~6 3/8" and I will use those on all the doors. I'm not using and of the 3" - they just looked really dinky.

• illinigirl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Autumn- your pulls look great with your cabinets! Keep on unpacking! (I will be in a state of pack/unpack between Memorial Day and Labor Day, ugh!)

• annkh_nd
    9 years ago

I do have two drawers with pulls on the side - they are file drawers that look like doors when closed:

They have Blum soft-close, and they open just fine with the pull on the side. I specifically didn't want them to look like drawers, so for me it was a no-brainer.

In your case, with a wall of horizontal pulls on the drawers, centered horizontal pulls would look great, and opening a small door with a centered pull isn't going to be hard to get used to.