Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
snoozingpug

What type of wood for perimeter countertops (island pic incl)?

snoozingpug
13 years ago

Here is a picture of the slab for our island with a cabinet door sample:

Close-up of the brownish grain running through marble (sorry for the camera phone blur!):

Here is a sample of our backsplash tile (subtle herringbone of calacutta marble):

What type of perimeter countertop do you think would look best? We are pretty sure wood is the direction we want to go, but are not clear on pros/cons of different types of woods (walnut? mahogany?) or what our stain options are. We will be consulting with the guy who will be making them but I would like a discussion starting point from the GW crowd.

Thanks,

Jen

Comments (6)

• jem199
    13 years ago

I think natural cherry would look nice if you want to go with a light color to keep the contrast low with the white cabs. A natural maple with it's yellow tones would also match nicely. That grain in the marble looks reddish to me. If so, a mahogany or dark cherry would bring that out and you'd get more contrast, if that's what you're after. I'd get a box of wood samples and bring your door and piece of marble with you and look at them with the slab. Pick the one you like best that matches them and has the amount of contrast you are looking for. My cab company had a box of 4" square wood color samples I carried around for a while. See if you can get something like that.

• chris45ny
    13 years ago

Ditto what jem199 said. Would try to find a wood to match that reddish/brownish streak on your slab. Cherry or mahogany would go nicely I think. It's going to look so elegant! Please post pics!!

• hsw_sc
    13 years ago

Oh man, that Forest Green marble is absolutely gorgeous! I saw a slab at the granite yard a few weeks ago and it was absolutely awe inducing in person.

I agree with jem199 that you should try and get your hands on some wood samples and play with different looks. A darker wood would probably look fantastic with the counters, cream cabs and that gorgeous lighter backsplash.

Please post pics as you go!

• boxerpups
    13 years ago

OOOOOOhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh I love your choices so far.
    They are yummmy. The green, the white and the marble.. Simply Beautiful.

Okay my vote is for walnut or mahogany. Something brownish
    with a dash of warmness to make those veins in that
    rainforest granite dance. Expressing the movement with the
    wood is brillant.

~boxer

• snoozingpug
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Awesome ideas! I think we will go with a darkish wood with a warm reddish hue to pull out the warmth in the red/brown vein of the marble. We've also decided to do ORB finish on our fixtures and lighting so as to keep with that warm theme.

We still haven't connected with a countertop manufacturer but our cabinet person is waiting for a callback from someone to pass along to us. I will be sure to ask for samples to go visit our rainforest marble slab and see if they can marry!

• smbh
    13 years ago

Snoozingpug - any pics yet? I'm using RFG (unless I chicken out!) and would love to see you progress....