Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
momfromthenorth

Your Opinion Please: Are window valances outdated?

momfromthenorth
10 years ago

Do you think that fabric window valances make a kitchen look outdated?

I'm trying to decide whether to put up new valances or leave them off. Do you think they make a house look "old fashioned"? We have 2 inch blinds on the west facing windows for sun control. Otherwise no other blinds. This is an older home, mostly traditional and has been kept updated..(Definitely not a contemporary home.)

Comments (12)

• hsw_sc
    10 years ago

Depends on exactly what type of valance you're talking about but in general my answer would be "I don't think that they are outdated". In my NSHO valances and cornices make the room look finished when the valances/cornices are paired with a bare or blind-covered window. I especially like them in older homes and traditional homes. That said, I'm more of a traditionalist anyway.

• Bunny
    10 years ago

I never thought I'd have a valance since I'm not big on window coverings in the first place. However, once my kitchen was finished, it cried out for fabric to soften the look. By sheer luck I found a cute but not fussy fabric and, miracle of miracles, made a valance all by myself. It is my favorite thing about the kitchen. I love it to bits.

• Vertise
    10 years ago

I don't think they're dated either, but the shape and fabric could be.

• lolauren
    10 years ago

Ohh.. I am going to reply honestly since that is what the OP wants.... Generally speaking, I think they are outdated or old-fashioned looking. I rarely think they look good. With that said, in some cases, they are done in a crisp, current way that is appealing and doesn't feel outdated. I just don't think people nail that most of the time (locally.)

• _sophiewheeler
    10 years ago

Balloon valances are dated.

Swag valances are dated.

Scarf valances are dated.

Festoons or jabots.....probably dated. Depends on the material and the house.

The more tailored the valance is, the less dated it appears. The fussier it is, the more likely it is to be dated.

Classic, and IMHO, not dated.

Another classic. the contrasting ties, and contrasting fabric lining are the tailored details that make it.

The sculptural shape and simplicity work well.

• bridget helm
    10 years ago

Personally, I don't want them in my kitchen. BUT I'm a bit more on the modern side. My parents have them in the breakfast bay window in their kitchen above the bamboo shades and above the kitchen sink window. It works well in their French Country home. If they aren't custom made and sort of solid (built on a wood top), I think they look cheap.

Here are some cute ones

Here is a link that might be useful:

• bridget helm
    10 years ago

these are cute too

Here is a link that might be useful: Hickory Designer

• nini804
    10 years ago

I don't really like most of them, and dont have them in my kitchen, however, that said...I definitely think when you have blinds you need something to cover the top of the blinds. I would do something very simple and tailored...and would have them professionally made.

• deedles
    10 years ago

Love these and I'm not a huge valance or french country person, either. Like the tailored aspect of the pleats but also that they don't look too 'buttoned up'. And the little dingle ball trim... too cute.

[Traditional Kitchen[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-kitchen-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_709~s_2107) by Morganville Interior Designers & Decorators Marina Klima Goldberg - Klima Design Group

• momfromthenorth
    Original Author
    10 years ago

OK, that was very helpful. This is what I have so maybe I'll try something more toned down but still fairly simple. The issue is that we need to have the wood blinds on the west side for sun control or we would all be well-cooked before dinner is over.

The other two sides of our eating area face woods so privacy is not an issue.

Thank you for the links with the ideas! Great help and inspiration :)

• Vertise
    10 years ago

That looks modern or transitional to me, not dated. The fabric looks modern and it uses today's clean, crisp lines.

No one wants things to look frumpy or stale but something as general as a "valance" shouldn't be written off as "dated". So what if they're not hot and trendy. Anything can be freshened to look current. A little fabric softening a window is always nice. (I seem to see plenty of them around today though).

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH