Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
formerlyflorantha

Need bookshelf design for wall en route to dining room

formerlyflorantha
13 years ago

We're going to need a custom-made cupboard or shelf unit to ride to the left of our new door which communicates between the kitchen and dining room. The door and the shelf unit will be in the same plane, not perpendicular. It will be just shy of 6 feet side to side and can extend to the 8 foot ceiling if it wants to. Depth: 15 inches, including back. Okay for the moldings to extend farther forward. Light oak.

What's the largest span that a bookshelf can extend across before it begins to bow under the weight of books?

The unit will hold cookbooks and another collection of reference books and will also serve for some display. (Am considering having sliding doors with tempered glass fronts in the lower area, for china storage but am not sure as to how important that will be until I find out how much our new kitchen cupboards can hold.) I'm not sure how to handle display space--would like to give it a modern flair by having some defined display openings within the book area, but don't want them to be hard to see into. Cupboard will mostly be seen from the side as people enter the dining room.

The display items are antiques, many of them silverplate, which means they tarnish. In the best of all possible worlds, they would go behind glass also. We had to get rid of a humongo display unit, which was on the other side of the wall because it could only fit in the space if there was no door. So it goes.

Any words of wisdom or images of good-looking bookshelves? Have looked at a number of kitchen bookshelves on the FKB, but except for elizpiz, the ones I've seen so far are nowhere near the size of this puppy.

Comments (17)

• formerlyflorantha
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Here's the benchmark big bookshelf kitchen....

Here is a link that might be useful: ElizPiz's kitchen with big bookshelf

• lazy_gardens
    13 years ago

What's the largest span that a bookshelf can extend across before it begins to bow under the weight of books?

That depends on how the shelf is made. If you slide the back of the shelf into aluminum or steel channel, it adds amazing anti-sag strength. So does resting the shelves on a 1x2 ledge that is attached to the wall or backing.

Just putting 3 screws through the backing into the shelves about 1/3 of the way from each end and one in the middle will stabilize the sag.

OR, make the shelves removable and flip them every year or so when you do the major cleaning.

• leel
    13 years ago

As a librarian, I have seen some beautiful wood shelving but, eventually, it all starts to sag. As a result, for my own home library, I purchased steel library shelving with wood panels on the end uprights & wood trim for the top , bottom, and verticals. They are beautiful and everyone remarks on them--and they don't sag.

• flwrs_n_co
    13 years ago

Leel, would you please give specifics on your wood and metal bookshelves--where/when you bought them, link if possible? TIA!

• jeri
    13 years ago

Leel - And a picture??? :-)

• formerlyflorantha
    Original Author
    13 years ago

bump

• boxerpups
    13 years ago

Hi Florantha,

I wish I had exactly what you are looking for. You
    might try cote de texas or decorpad. But I do have a few
    built ins that might help you with ideas on book sheleves.
    Definitely consider steel supports under the wood. Then
    they will never sag.

Good luck,
    ~boxer

BHG

Vincente Wolf

Family Built Ins

Harrington Den

Tribal rug bookcase

Book cases

design sponge online

• formerlyflorantha
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Boxerpups,
    I needed those images. Thanks so much! Isn't it amazing how a simple image can clarify so many things? Am reminded about the architect Sarah Susanka's comment that bookshelves are like wonderful wallpaper. I hope that my cookbook collection and the other items I need to store on shelves will function in that way.

Was on a road trip to a wedding recently and had lots of time to make sketches. I have a better idea of my bookcase options now, but hadn't been able to picture the moldings and such. These images are very helpful.

The red-painted shelf units with the curved trim are so intriguing. Wonder how they suspend those long shelves? Or did they make a vow to only store lightweight stuff?

The images of various same-width multiple shelf units are extremely helpful; You're a painted cabinetry gal, aren't you? I am trying to imagine them in oak instead of paint. These regular soldier-like niches are likely what we'll end up doing. The over-the-door shelf is something I had considered but DH vetoed. Now that he's sat with me looking at your images, it's back in consideration again.

I am supposedly working on the denoument of this project's planning but am still dithering about cabinet glass for my kitchen so I went to a local glass company to talk. They said they make lots of glass doors for labs, businesses, etc. I think that they would help me with sliding glass doors for bookshelf if I want them. They are in the custom glass etching business so they can even temper and etch decorative (textured) glass, which would allow me to get a strong, textured, opaque effect for lower shelves that may accumulate junky stuff. It would be expensive, but extremely distinctive. (This added to my dithering and got me off track, again.)

[Confession time: Problem is further compounded by seeing an antique piece that would work in that space also. Unfortunately, when he was working on wallboard phase, DH refused to wallboard the back side of the bookcase space when it would have been easiest to do it, claiming that it would be redundant work. So there are literally a number of holes into the inside of the wall on the back of the bookcase niche to contend with if I win the piece at auction. Am in another quandry. Best solution: stay out of auctions and antique shops and estate sales.]
    ___

Leel: would love to learn more about the steel shelves you have used. Sources?

• boxerpups
    13 years ago

Florantha,

So glad I could help you. I was thinking these images were
    not at all what you wanted but they were so pretty that
    maybe they could trigger an idea. Glad to see they
    were helpful.

I totally know what you mean about seeing an antique.
    Creative people like you are always thinking, figuring,
    designing and planning... Don't rule it out. Keep thinking
    about the space and it will happen.
    Don't be silly about staying out of auctions. They make
    life fun!!!!!

Cabinet glass. Have you checked out local glass shops.
    In this economy they might give you a far better deal.
    And of course there is Outwater Plastics. Sometime they
    have items that look pretty good at a far cheaper price.
    Check them out and maybe they have a tinted plastic that
    looks like glass but is cheaper.

Keep dreaming and make it happen.
    ~boxer

Here is a link that might be useful: Outwater

• leel
    13 years ago

The steel shelving is available in many colors & the wood end panels and shelf trim available in a number of species/colors. The shelves also come in varying depths (this is all duck soup for librarians:)). The source is the link below. You'll have to look through the dropdowns to find what you want. I thought I had a pic of my shelves installed, but I don't. I'll see what I can do to remedy that. My shelves are parchment and the wood panels are ash.

Here is a link that might be useful: steel shelves

• bmorepanic
    13 years ago

Preventing sag is both complicated and simple. Happy designing!

Here is a link that might be useful: The Sagulator

• formerlyflorantha
    Original Author
    13 years ago

bmorepanic:

The "Sagulator" is a wonderful thing! It's a sag calculator!

I just typed in one set of potential data for a 6 foot wide unit and learned that without support, the shelf will look just slightly saggy. Impressive!

I hope others will also try this out too. Wow! Thanks for writing!

• formerlyflorantha
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Am at the point of needing to decide what design for bookshelves I want cabinetmaker to bid on. Have been digging online, have found an interesting English company that has some very nice modern-styled oak bookshelves.

The Bespoke Bookcase looks great to me and fits one of my test drawings well. Another that fits a drawing of mine is the Oak Bookcase with its sliding doors.

Here is a link that might be useful: bookcases of Berry Design Furniture of U.K.

• formerlyflorantha
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Rockler has a good looking set of pin support standards. I have not seen this product before. Looks less industrial than the usual vertical clip straps.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rockler shelf hardware

• growlery
    13 years ago

When I was looking to have my built-in bookshelves made, I found the book "Living with Books" helpful.

It does feature people with capital L Libraries and capital C Collections as opposed to people with just a lot of books, but it shows them featured well, and has a lot of photos. Most people don't have a lot of books (see photos above). Your library probably has this book. I believe it's out of print.

Not all shelf surfaces and finishes react well with books or other objects, and this book goes into some of that, and structure, and sources, etc.

If you like "modern", there are many styles, from Bauhaus through midcentury modern and beyond that are very clean, sometimes asymmetrical, supportive, stylish and will show off your house, your books and your collections well. People tend to think "bookcase/bookshelf" and get bogged down thinking it has to look one way, and it doesn't!
    Good luck!

• formerlyflorantha
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, Growlery! Got any photos to share?

Boxer: Am in conversation with a glass shop that makes shower doors, etc. and is approved by my cabinet man who says they are good to work with. Will need to do a lot more thinking before I make my decisions, but I gotta get going. DH refuses to put a piece of wallboard behind the future bookshelf, saying that it would be redundant and would cost us a little space. He's right, but until the item is made, the space is a terrible eyesore.

Leel: Thanks for the reference! I appreciate your posting.

• formerlyflorantha
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Just saw this one on BHG website. Shelves look to be about a yard wide. And there's an old venison cover on the top shelf!

Here is a link that might be useful: kitchen bookshelf BHG