Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
OT: reach-in closets w/ bifold doors or custom wardrobe cabinets

Posted by kaysd (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 2, 13 at 14:46

I’m trying this post again, now that I can post photos again thanks to Breezy’s tip. Our master bedroom does not have space for a walk-in closet. To make up for this, I want our reach-in closets to look as upscale as possible, as well as providing functional storage. Our bedroom has an 18’ long x 8’ high wall that had three 5’-8” wide reach-in closets with walls separating the 3 closets and 80” high doors, so it was hard to store anything on the top shelf. We had the GC demo the existing closets to get rid of the dividing walls and soffits. We plan to have doors that are almost 8’ tall to allow easy access to the top shelf.

Option 1: My original plan was to have our custom cabinet makers build a 4’ wide, floor-to-ceiling, center unit with drawers on the bottom and shelves behind doors on the top. (DH really likes to store a lot of his clothes folded on shelves.) On each side would be a 7’ wide regular reach-in closet with bifold doors and drywall interior. We would have long hanging clothes with a shelf above and shoe storage below in one closet, and double bar hanging space in the other closet. The center unit will have flat panel doors and drawers made of rift cut oak veneer stained grey. The bifold doors would be rift cut oak special ordered through a door company and stained by cabinet guys (cabinet guys are not used to building 1-3/8” thick doors). I am a bit nervous about coordinating the cabinet guys doing the center unit and our GC installing the bifold doors (cab guys won’t do it) and having it all fit together correctly.

Option 2: I really love the doors on our pantry cabinets with the tall narrow glass windows (picture below; we plan to add textured or frosted Solyx film to obscure the contents). Each pantry door is 19” wide. I recently had the crazy thought that something similar might look good in our bedroom. Instead of having two 7’ wide reach-in closets, we could have four 42” wide x 28” deep wardrobe cabinets with cabinet doors like on our pantry instead of bifold doors. Two units would be for long hanging and 2 would have double rods. The center unit would remain the same. Adding textured or frosted glass panels would break up the 18” wall of grey wood, which could be good or bad depending on your preference. We also planned on pocket doors with glass panels for the master bathroom, which faces the closet, so we could use the same film on all the glass doors to tie it all together. DH worries about the loss of storage space due to all the cabinet walls (6” total width with 8 ¾” cabinet sides). I know it will cost more, but not sure how much (I don’t want to ask for a quote until I get more opinions about whether it is even a good idea).

Option 3: Wardrobe cabinets like in option 2, but with solid grey oak doors, if you think cabinets are better than bifold doors but like the solid wall of grey wood instead of glass.

If you were a potential buyer, which would you prefer: Option 1 - regular reach in closets with bifold doors, Option 2 - narrower custom wardrobe cabinets with glass doors, or Option 3 - narrower custom wardrobe cabinets with solid doors.

Option 1 exterior sketch:

photo IMG_8512_zpsb90a173f.jpg

Option 2 interior sketch (there would be 2 of each of these configurations):

photo IMG_8515_zpsb03dfdfc.jpg

Pantry doors that Option 2 wardrobe doors would be modeled after, with frosted or textured glass, and each door 1-2" wider:

photo IMG_8504_zps890c1ec1.jpg

Cabinetry in color similar to this:

Option 2 doors would look similar to this, with frosted/textured glass instead of mirror:

I want to use ROTS for shoe storage. They could attach to the cabinet walls in Option 2, or I could ask the cabinet guys to build a free-standing unit for inside the closet in Option 1.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: OT: reach-in closets w/ bifold doors or custom wardrobe cabin

I just built option 3, not completely finished. I think wardrobes are typical in Europe but not in US so from the perspective of resale the traditional closet is best. So far we are happy with our choice as we had been considering sliding doors which at the length and height of our closet were priced at about what I paid for the unit.
The room is small so it is difficult to get a good picture. We have triple and double height hanging and pullouts for ties/belts/shoes. A not finished piece is a vanity desk and shelves above.

This post was edited by 5yearslater on Tue, Jun 4, 13 at 9:44

o

I just built option 3, not completely finished. I think wardrobes are typical in Europe but not in US so from the perspective of resale the traditional closet is best. So far we are happy with our choice as we had been considering sliding doors which at the length and height of our closet were priced at about what I paid for the unit.
The room is small so it is difficult to get a good picture. We have triple and double height hanging and pullouts for ties/belts/shoes. A not finished piece is a vanity desk and shelves above.

This post was edited by 5yearslater on Sun, Jun 2, 13 at 18:28

o

That looks really nice, 5yearslater. What kind of wood did you use? I think you are right that wardrobes are a lot more common in Europe. I considered custom sliding doors, too, and the cost was outrageous.

I may have phrased my question wrong. I hope to be in this house for another 20-30 years, although there is always a possibility of needing to sell. We need something that will work well for us. I also want it to look really good, for us, visitors, etc.

o

Hi Kaysd
The doors are veneers. For what it's worth our contractor had discouraged us from bifold doors as he said they often can come off track which was my experience while living elsewhere during our renovation where there were bifold doors. I think if the units are nice and are utilized well the effect on resale won't be a big issue that far out. Absolutely happy to discuss in detail if you want to contact me directly too.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here