Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mizlizzie_gw

Tell me about your experience with Build.com?

MizLizzie
9 years ago

I'm hoping someone here has ordered from them? I'm in the market for a fairly expensive Newport Brass faucet and they say they have it in stock with no restocking fee in the event of a return. I wonder if they will honor that? I have to match some finishes across brands.

They actually came up on Amazon.com as a third-party vendor otherwise I would not have thought to look at them. All their prices seem extremely competitive. Call me once burned, twice shy . . .

Comments (102)

• bry911
    2 years ago

@Rob Bolinger - What kind of warranty do you have from Ferguson/Build.com on a six month old Grohe product? Retailers typically don't honor manufacturer warranties, manufacturers do.

• Rob Bolinger
    2 years ago

Life time on all internal parts to original buyer. Grohe told use to contact Build because they don't have parts. Build keeps jerking us around and this is after three weeks of emails and over 6 hours on the phone.

• rureadyinla
    2 years ago

I’ve had good experiences with build.com. I will say I’ve had no issues with products though and I am not as good and diligent at ”registering” the warranty card with the manufacturer when I purchase items. I need to get better at the latter. I normally go to the manufacturer when I have issues with a product and they have been helpful.

• bry911
    2 years ago

@Rob Bolinger - Build.com is not responsible for the manufacturer's part shortage. They are not the people who warranty the parts and the manufacturer shouldn't be telling you to contact them for parts that they know full well build.com doesn't have.

What is build.com supposed to do about a problem with the manufacturer's warranty. Your post simply demonstrates the problem with online reviews.

• Rob Bolinger
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Melody and I both have been on the phone trying to get some resolved. The manufacturer tells us to pound Sand the seller of the product tells us to go pound sand, it's very expensive item. Build.com is even refused to call Melody back and I back or respond. Buyer be wear, this is not the kind of customer service that we expected.

• Rob Bolinger
    2 years ago

We did not pay top dollar for an item to be treated this way.

• Rob Bolinger
    2 years ago

I'm going to write reviews and post Google reviews until we get this resolved.

• rureadyinla
    2 years ago

I just realized you are having issues with Grohe. We used some of their products when we recently renovated our son’s bathroom (not purchased at build.com). I am very surprised they are not helpful. We’ve had issues with Kohler and Toto in the past and they were extremely helpful. I would pester Grohe a bit. I am not sure if you can do a credit card dispute for this type of thing, but if so then build.com would be forced to just “write-off” your sale or need to collect from Grohe or their supplier of Grohe products.

• bry911
    2 years ago

"Defective Returns

We can process defective returns and refunds only for items purchased from Build.com or one of its affiliates. To set up a defective return online you can visit our returns tool here. All defective returns must be set up within 60 days from the day you receive your product. There are no restocking fees on defective returns."

We did not pay top dollar for an item to be treated this way.

I'm going to write reviews and post Google reviews until we get this resolved.

Unless I am misreading this, it seems some first rate Ken/Karen B.S. to me. You somehow believe that build.com owes you an exception to the return for defect rules that you agreed to when you purchased your fixture. You are essentially saying, I am going to write bad reviews until they make an exception for me.

Have you stopped and thought for just a moment that some of the people who will read your review just want a company to do what they say they are going to do and don't need to be treated as super special because an item was expensive? I don't work for build.com so I don't really have a dog in this fight, but I am tired of having to do a full investigation into a product/companies reviews to figure out which of the one star people are just throwing an entitled fit.

Good luck in your endeavor.

• cheri127
    2 years ago

I have bought many things from Build.com and have never had a problem. I've made mistakes with my order and they've corrected them through online chat. I've returned things I didn't like with no issues. The manufacturer is responsible for correcting items that break after 6 months, not Build.com. I've had parts replaced 10 years after the fact by both Rohl and Newport Brass. I'm surprised Grohe isn't stepping up.

• rnonwheels
    2 years ago

My contractor was told after multiple "double check" requests to be absolutly sure...that a Kohler tub he ordered for my remodel was IN STOCK based in this information we started reno...4.5 months later no tub. I understand Covid delays and have been giving build.com / Fergusons the benefit of the doubt but each of 4 delivery dates have passed and a new date, another month out, has been given. A call to Kohler reveled they have been having 180 day ship dates all along. My poor contractor is just wanting to do a good job but knows that "somebody is lying" to him. Bad practices, disappointing.

• Tricia C
    2 years ago

I am very happy with multiple purchases as part of our current upgrade projects! Ceiling fans we lowest price in the internet, Minka modern black. They arrived in 2 days!

We ordered a Grohe Brushed Cool Sunrise color. Rom another vendor we bought the same color collection towel ring and toilet paper holder, which appeared much richer in color. I promptly called build.com and the customer service was phenomenal! She asked me to send a picture of the items side by side, agreed and executed a no fee exchange. We had the new faucet with accurate color tone in 2 days.

During a time when supply chains are impacted by low inventory and long delivery timelines, I am very grateful for the positive experience to keep our project moving forward. Thank you!

• Tricia C
    2 years ago

Please see my comment!!!

• Denise Zavota
    2 years ago

We dealt with Builld.com and had a very positive experience. Although we had to return the items, we received a full credit back in a very timely manner. We dealt with Cole and he was a true professional.

• Holly- Kay
    2 years ago

I ordered two new faucets and received them two days later! Very happy with my purchase!

• HU-769414107
    2 years ago

My experience with your company SUCKS I returned an item on November 4th and the address that I have in Fresno California I was told by the post office it was delivered on November 11th and it was no such address. I talked to a person and she confirmed that the address was correct before I sent it off. Now when I called the phone number that's online no one is available to answer my call, I'm Very PISSED because I don't have money to give away

• bry911
    2 years ago

On November 10th you posted about a package that was delivered November 11th. Last year or time traveler?

• natepage1
    2 years ago

I used Build.com years ago as a remodeler and they were great. I stepped away from construction for a few years, but I’m back and I’ve recently placed a few orders and each has been a horrible experience. I’ll give a pass to one bad experience or one bad customer service experience, but multiple orders and multiple customer service reps—all bad. And on top of it all, I’ve chatted online a few times for technical product questions, and each time the rep on the chat is more concerned about selling me other products than answering my question.

• PRO
    R2R General Contractor
    2 years ago

I will never order from them again. No communication. When you call to check on orders, no one knows anything. I ordered just under $1400. 00 worth of supplies from them and did the same with Weinstein and then with plumbers direct all on Tuesday. Everything showed up on Thursday except for the stuff from Build. They supposedly just printed labels on Friday but UPS has yet to receive. Called in and was told it was because something was backorder. I ordered everything because it was IN STOCK. When I finally receive everything I will definitely steer clear of Build.

• Amy Korb
    2 years ago

DO NOT ORDER FROM BUILD.COM THEY DON'T STAND BEHIND THEIR PRODUCT. Tried to return a showerhead that was sub par and didn't match what the description said. There was absolutely no water pressure and they called it high pressure

• HU-107525009
    2 years ago

DO NOT ORDER FROM THEM EVER. I placed a big order and sent a partial return, they send an email saying they received the return and issued a credit - but they did not!! Two months later I call and call and call and all Build rep's say "the credit was issued (I used their own BUILD credit card), we'll send your inquiry to our finance team."

All this while BUILD credit card company keeps those collection calls from India coming.

Finally I contact BUILD credit card company to open a formal dispute (disputes are negative against credit scores by the way) and BUILD credit card company says "I can see in the computer system that your return for that amount was received, but BUILD is holding on to the credit and not processing it."

SO JUST DON'T EVER ORDER ANYTHING FROM THEM

• lindalana 5b Chicago
    2 years ago

Used them couple times during remodel. No issues, returns easy, customer service great.

• Lee M
    2 years ago

We have had a great experience. They have been a bright light in a long building process. Returns have been easy and my salesperson has solid follow through.

• HU-163880359
    2 years ago

LONG ship times ordered an in stock shower pan in January, still waiting on 2/23 Told by Build.com customer service not to reply on in stock claims as they aren’t accurate

• Ohja Barndy
    2 years ago

@Sherry Brighton Great to know your experience at their store and other stores. You added that "Buy from you local appliance store, many will price match and offer full white glove delivery." I was specifically happy with that line of yours. I went through many of the stores and the term price match and I'm now to share specific results on them as stores such as Wayfair don't price match so fall in that category and others might fall in other. But one thing to consider is customer benefit that is ongoing for price match you can save money.

• BW_TX
    2 years ago

Both good and bad experiences.

Good: ordered all of our light fixtures, plumbing fixtures, cabinet hardware, etc. Very quick delivery. Had returns, and those were handled quickly. Forgot to apply a 10% off promo code and they quickly credited my account back for the savings a few days later. Everyone I've emailed with, chatted with, and spoken with on the phone was quickly able to answer or address every issue I had. The only exception is that i had to order a shower, valves, trim and elbow separately, and all were in stock. All were delivered except for the valve trim kit, which was suddenly backordered for 4 months. When I checked online, they had 12 in stock. I chatted with someone online, and they confirmed that a warehouse in CA had 12 in stock, and apparently since I'm in Texas and the warehouses closer to me were out of stock, they just decided not to ship me one. I asked if they could send me one from CA, and they said yes. I got it about 3 days later. So apparently there is some cost/benefit algorithm driving what they will ship to you from where.

Bad: In October I ordered a significant $ of appliances for kitchen remodel; range, vent hood, refrigerator, etc. All said "leaves the warehouse in 6 to 10 weeks", As others have said, whatever the lead time on the website says it's not correct. I even emailed with the sales agent to confirm, and she confirmed it would be delivered in mid Dec. When the date came, I checked on line and it then said May 2022. I called and they said they expected to receive them from the manufacturer, but the manufacturer didn't deliver as many as they thought.

Apparently your order is put in a queue with everyone else, and however they prioritize the orders, I was obviously not at the top of the list. The manufacturer would supply them with the next delivery date (which may well be 6-10 weeks), but the actual volume of appliances delivered often was rationed. I kept the order open in case it was the last resort, but I immediately started checking at other retailers.

A builder told me that large customers like Lowes and HD often get their orders allocated first, so I signed up for "alert me when item comes back in stock", and got an email about a week later that HD had it in stock. I checked, but it was already out of stock (I waited until later that day before checking). The next time I got an email, I logged on RIGHT AWAY, and my order went through for delivery in 1 week. I set the delivery time, but the email confirmation I got said a month later. I checked on line and they were all sold out, so I was worried that my order "went through" but was now back ordered. I called, had HD call the manufacturer warehouse, and they confirmed that my order went through, and that one of the available appliances was indeed allocated to my order. It was delivered the next week. As of this very second, Build.com still shows this item as "ships in 6 to 10 weeks".

Moral of the story - for major appliances, don't believe the shipping estimates on Build.com. Don't believe what they tell you if you call, email, or chat. For something other than major appliances, they seem pretty good.

Wow, that was a long comment.

• Vahan Kassabian
    2 years ago

Horrible and deceitful customer service.

Ordered part on a Friday afternoon with a 2 day shipping which was supposed to arrive on the following Friday per their website. Checked a day later and the part is on it way and I also received an email stating that. I checked tracking and sure enough it was shipped. Checked on Tuesday to see where the part is and to my surprise it is now placed back to order placed on Friday status. Spoke with 5 different reps on three different days and all gave me false information and lied in person and via email. Two days later I received an email stating your part was shipped and just wait for UPS to update their website. I contacted UPS they said nothing is shipped and Build does not have the part. Contacted Build again and all four reps gave me this BS; we have it is our warehouse and we shipped it, second rep no we have not shipped yet due to computer error but it is ready for picki, third rep it is UPS that does not want to pick up the part not us, fourth rep it is with the supplier waiting for UPS to ship to you, fifth it is on backorder and now it is special order so you have 20 weeks lead time. When I showed him the pic from their website stating they have over 100 parts available when I ordered, no reply and never continued the chat or replied to my email.

Stay away from them like the plague. Horrible service and their showroom is just as horrific as their online service

• Carol Demas
    2 years ago

I ordered my pulls from them. No problems.

• kjuric
    2 years ago

Very difficult to deal with. Double check all their fine print on returns. Ordered the ice maker part for our refrigerator. When it came it was the wrong part. My mistake I was willing to pay the return costs. I contacted build.com and was told it is not returnable as it was an appliance. I explained it was not an appliance but a PART for an appliance that was not installed and in it's original packing. Was told again by "kathryn office of the president" it was an appliance. I explained to be an appliance wouldn't it need to actually operate. I was told I was using semantics! Got my credit card and the Better Business Bureau involed and it was finally resolved. Any saving is not worth the aggravation. It's no wonder they have a D- rating on the better Business Bureau. Buyer beware if you decide to deal with them.

• Karen Olson
    last year

Their customer service leaves a lot to be desired. No communication, no responses to issues. Takes forever to get anyone on the phone. Sloppy shipping. They weren’t even less expensive. In fact got replacement light fixture on Amazon for the one that arrived broken (that they won’t replace) for $100 less for exact same fixture.

• HU-508542608
    last year

DON'T BUILD WITH FERGUSON!! Horrible customer service. I ordered a micro/wall oven combination in March. The items were supposed to be delivered by July, then September, and then October. And now they say it will not arrive until January 2023. Their communications with the deliverers are terrible and I believe they are taking the money with no real intention of delivering.

DON'T BUILD WITH FERGUSON!!!

• Dilek T
    last year

Absolutely awful experience. think twice before you order anything from them. i've been trying to get a refund for a month now. they do everything in their power to delay the refund with hopes that you forget about it.

Awful company with no regards to customer satisfaction

• Ferda Calter
    last year

f I could give less than 1 I would. They let you place your order, take your money and give you a tracking number. The tracking number is non-existent and their email on the order form bounces back.

• Sherrie
    last year

I ordered several faucets and a ton of cabinet pulls and knobs and had 0 issues with them. I called customer service numerous times with no issues. I ordered a lot and sent back a lot as I decided on finishes, etc. There is a small return fee for postage, FYI. I'd use them again with no hesitation.

• 31rue
    last year

I have ordered faucets (including Grohe and Kohler) and sink strainers and had no issues. One of the faucets ordered (5 years ago) was defective when received and I was promptly provided a replacement. I just ordered an art light which promptly shipped and arrives tomorrow.

• cupofkindnessgw
    last year
    last modified: last year

I ordered Kohler bathroom access and was quite grateful when, after deciding they were not sized propely for the space past the return window, build.com took them back and even provided a return label which I was not expecting. Ive had other purchases and have been just as pleased.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    last year

I've spent at least a hundred thousand dollars at build.com.

They shipped three damaged composite sinks to my customer, one right after the other. Nothing is more embarrassing than having your customer buy his own sink from a Canadian supplier.

They sent a white double bowl composite to a customer and the black single bowl replacement arrived damaged.

I have the email of the President's office. We've been corresponding and they've offered to put the composite sinks on a pallet on an 18-wheeler to solve the problem. Seriously.

• Nancy Johnson
    last year

I too had problems with Build.com/Ferguson. We received our toilet in fragments, not surprising because there was barely any padding around it to protect its journey. We had another "expedited" to arrive in two days. It arrived a week later, also in fragments, again barely any packaging for protection. Who packs these things??!! This was becoming very stressful! We have company coming and just one working toilet. The toilet tank arrived in one piece, wonder of wonders! But we were out of time. We had to go to a local plumbing supply store, (probably what we should have done in the first place), and purchased a ho hum toilet that we loaded up and brought home, and had installed just in time for the arrival of our guests. It's not the toilet I wanted but it's JUST FINE! The best part of this experience was the original salesman at Ferguson and the customer service agent who were both very helpful.

• 1broker
    last year

Ordered a rug 5 months ago, used PayPal (through my Discover), and have not received it. Tracking on my order shows it never was delivered on Houzz website. Customer Service is a joke! In fact they insist it was shipped and delivered, meanwhile I opened a case and PayPal favored the seller, Discover won’t refund my money. Spoke with a team leader at Houzz who also confirmed that shipment wasn’t completed but I have to wait 90 days after dispute for a refund… still waiting 5 months later! No refund, no rug! NEVER shop at Houzz. I’ve been robbed!

• Wanda Spencer
    11 months ago

I have received used products along with unable to do a return.

• cheri127
    11 months ago

I have ordered and returned many things on Build.com and never have had a problem. Yes, sometimes it looks like something has been opened before but it looks unused. I don't think it's unreasonable to resell something that's been returned.

• Art Barrios
    11 months ago

I have purchased previously from Ferguson and decided to place a larger order for two bathroom upgrades. Ordered over $5000 in products. Three items arrived damaged (bowl, tank, and sink top) which I had to pay to dispose of since they didn't want the damaged items back. Then I noticed that a vanity was backordered for 3 months so I cancelled it and ordered a different one. Thy told me I had to pay for shipping because my $1200 vanity didn't meet the free shipping threshold. I reminded them that it is part of a $5000 order but apparently that didn't matter. So after $5000, three broken porcelain items, and a replacement on a backorder, Ferguson needed $85 more from me.

• slc6rxp
    10 months ago

Horrible service. My packages were late causing problems with my contractors . Customer service hold times are horrible.

• Lynn Gerard
    9 months ago

HORRENDOUS expexperience from start to finish. Placed a very simple order for cabinet pulls. After almost 2 WEEKS, I Recd the box with the wrong sized pulls. Call to customer service. Replacement order shipped out, and I had to use my own supplies to print their emailed return label.

The second box arrives with AGAIN the WRONG sized pulls! Second call to CS. Use own supplies again to print a second return label. Then, I tell them to just cancel my order , Way too much hassle. These clowns cant even get prepackaged cabinet hardware right!

Then, almost 3 weeks go by after I returned everything to them by UPS, and still no refund. SO…. once again I call CS. They have no explanation as to why my refund was never credited to my VISA account, and then it takes them almost another 5 days to issue the refund! ugh Never again, Build.com.

• Sujatha Jamwal
    6 months ago

I have had the absolute worst experience with build with Ferguson. They had me sit at home for 6 days straight waiting for tike delivery. They and their shipping partner keep threatening to deliver daily and don’t. They need a signature for delivery so you are stuck waiting. I have been on the phone with them no less than 25 times. Always looking into it, always saying they will deliver today but no
    Delivery and no follow up. My kitchen project is on hold now.

• Anne Duke
    6 months ago

Did they change ownership since 2016? Between 2014 and 2016 I had multiple orders through them without any problems at all. I’m sorry to read these terrible comments as I’m getting ready to do a small project. I’ll shop elsewhere.

• 31rue
    6 months ago
    last modified: 6 months ago

I posted a positive review approximately 8 months ago about my use of Build.com over the years. I just used Build.com again on a large master bathroom and powder room remodel. Most items were ordered through my contractor, but I ordered several Kohler items including a pricey faucet/handle set directly from Build.com. Everything came in a timely fashion and in perfect condition. When I ordered the faucet/handles I accidentally ordered one that would not fit with my sink. Customer service was awesome. They immediately cancelled the order for the wrong faucet/handles and issued a credit. They also suggested a faucet/handle set that would work with my sink. I ordered it and it came quickly and in perfect condition.

• Susan Lilavois
    5 months ago

I received an item from build.com. The box was destroyed when it arrived, and the contents were damaged. I tried calling and emailing build.com. but nobody ever responded. I ended up filing a claim with the shipping company due to their lack of response.

• olijac
    5 months ago

Great when you purchase horrible when you have to return. takes approximately 1 month or longer to get your refund. Trying never to use them again!

• olijac
    5 months ago

Great when you make a purchase, horrible when you return something. Takes approximately 1 month or longer to receive your refund. Trying never to use them again!