Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Maybe I should have been ABB for a while :(

Posted by aklvdb (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 3, 13 at 14:45

Sigh. So our little kitchen reno is almost done, just some finishing left. They just finished our backsplash, and I don't think I love it. I think it's too 'cool' of a look with the Canturbury quartz. I was looking at a bit darker backsplash, same idea but everything looked so brown, or too grey, and the kitchen person thought this one would be the best with our existing cabinets and the counter. They just put the backsplash in today, will I get used to it? Is it hideous? Am I just crazy and tired?
Thanks.

This post was edited by aklvdb on Mon, Jun 3, 13 at 14:53

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Maybe I should have been ABB for a while :(

Another pic

o

Ok, my first pic is not posting for some reason. Thank you for looking!

o

Well I like it. Dont like backsplaches that are loud. So if you aske me you did good.

o

I like it too

o

I like it, but if you want a punch of color (which I think you do need) maybe go for a different wall color. Right now, it matches too closely with your BS color.

o

Hmm. Well it does seem to be the same color as your wall. Do you like how your wall color relates to the space?

For me, the backsplash color doesn't seem to tie in to the cabinets or the counter.

o

I think the backsplash is nice. It would be good to change up the wall color, since the backsplash seems of similar color that the backsplash almost seems to disappear.

o

Thanks for responses. The backsplash is lighter than the walls, but does look similar. This is making me want to change my cabinets! Horrible. I kind of agree how the backsplash doesn't tie into the colour of the cabinets or the counter, and it's not the end of the world, but it sucks.

What colour would you suggest I paint the walls? It's all open concept, so if I start with one wall....I think I'm driving myself crazy as it is!
Thanks for the suggestions!

o

I wonder if it would help you to see how it looks with some of the countertop items in place that you plan to use in that area? It might be that when you get those in place, you will be newly grateful for the somewhat quiet backslash.

o

I actually love your backsplash! What is it?
Once your hood is in and maybe a colorful or textural window treatment, I think you'll grow to like it.
If you end up painting, what about a creamy yellow, or a light beigy green? I am not a color expert at all, but that's just what I picture Id start pulling out if I had a paint fan deck in your kitchen.
good luck :)

o

I like the back splash. Yes, it is subtle, but it is a modern, interesting design and it doesn't take away from the counter top. I think changing the wall color would highlight the back splash. What is the undertone color of the counter top? Brown? Pumpkin? I suggest you pull a color from the counter top. Make sure the undertones of the wall/counter top and back splash are all the same so the colors will be in perfect harmony!

I think it's better to keep things neutral, and then you can have fun with your accessory choices, small appliances, storage containers, area rugs, doo-dads, etc. etc.

Good job!

o

http://www.amestile.com/durastone

Here's the link to the tile, it is really nice, very simple but with different textures and sizes. I have the Luna.

The counter is this
Hopefully once I put all the small appliances on and the light valence is on, I can grow to love it. We're just so boring and safe with colour, and maybe I should have been a bit more bold or something, or got a designer (even thought the kitchen people do this all the time!)

o

I like your backsplash but feel your pain about the lack of a tie-in between the countertops, cabinets and splash color. I am not an expert on any of this, but is it worth considering changing your grout color? A warmer color grout would probably bring the whole thing together nicely.

o

i second the grout color idea. That's a great idea, actually.

o

I love it. I think it is looks very nice with the cabinets and the counter. I think it draws the eye in to provide visual interest without screaming for attention.
Why don't you post a straight on shot so we can take in more at once.

o

I like the backsplash too! I think it does relate to your counters and your wall color... I think it is just making you want to change you cabinet color. But I still think it blends and maybe you need to live with it a little while and then see how you feel.

o

I like it. I think the backsplash looks good in your kitchen and provides a nice, neutral pallete to do whatever you want in the kitchen.

I always like the big, permanent things to be neutral so that you can have fun with color with things that can be easily changed. Or you can have a quiet, neutral look, too. I like the ability to change according to my mood and likes at the moment.

o

Thanks for the reassurance. And as asked, a couple different pics...

o

Going darker on the backsplash might have been better, but only if the color was a good match for the granite.
You played it safe. Yes, darker cabinets would probably look better with this tile and backsplash, but we have to go with what you have.
I agree that once all your appliances etc are on the counters, you will feel better.
Think about getting a really nice window treatment. Also a nice fruit bowl, maybe something to hold utensils etc. This will get your eye moving around the kitchen.
I too put in a backsplash that was terrible. My problem was my very white cabinets competed with my very brown Giallo granite. We first put in a white subway tile, but when in place it had a gray cast to it. We ripped it out. I lived for three months without a backsplash until I decided on the Grazia Rixi tile in a cream. If I had to do it all over again, I would have had all my elements in place, not try to go one by one. So, you are not the only one who has been through this.

o

Going darker on the backsplash might have been better, but only if the color was a good match for the granite.
You played it safe. Yes, darker cabinets would probably look better with this tile and backsplash, but we have to go with what you have.
I agree that once all your appliances etc are on the counters, you will feel better.
Think about getting a really nice window treatment. Also a nice fruit bowl, maybe something to hold utensils etc. This will get your eye moving around the kitchen.
I too put in a backsplash that was terrible. My problem was my very white cabinets competed with my very brown Giallo granite. We first put in a white subway tile, but when in place it had a gray cast to it. We ripped it out. I lived for three months without a backsplash until I decided on the Grazia Rixi tile in a cream. If I had to do it all over again, I would have had all my elements in place, not try to go one by one. So, you are not the only one who has been through this.

o

Thanks everyone, it's good to know I'm not alone, even though I've been thinking about this darn reno for about a year until we actually did it! Ugh. And while the counters were always going to be the Cambria Canturbery and I like them ok, I think we could've gone with something darker.

Oh well. I heard once that if your biggest problems can be solved by writing a cheque, consider yourself lucky. Except I think my husband will think I'm crazy if we ripped out the backsplash.

o

Your back splash is perfectly lovely, so are your cabinets and counter. Live with it for a bit and then decide if you want to paint your walls. I love how subtle it is and it looks very classy. Aren't we all our own worst critics?

I love your display shelf! It adds a fun touch.

Good luck and I bet that in a few weeks you think "gosh this looks great".

o

I think you did just fine - give it a few days and I bet you will love it (or at least like it)
I would change the wall color before the tile.
I know someone else asked and maybe my tired eyes missed it - what is that beautiful BS.

o

http://www.amestile.com/durastone
Here's the link to the tile, it is really nice, very simple but with different textures and sizes. I have the Luna.

Thanks holly_kay and a2gemini, I do love the tile, I just hope I can get over how in my mind it makes my beautiful quartz look peachy.

The wall colour I think we are going to paint some more. We have a darker wall along the opposite end of the kitchen, so I think we will extend the darker colour. It's the same shade as what's up there, but will just be darker. And it won't be a for awhile, so I'll live with it and see if there are any other options for colour, but like I said earlier, it's open concept, so where to stop!

o

Good plan - will be watching but I don't check as often as before.

o

Your kitchen is lovely! I really like how the backsplash picks up the warm brown tones of the cupboards, and the gray in the countertop. It is understated and elegant.

After being without a backsplash for a couple of months, we finally had ours installed. At first, I thought it was awful and couldn't wait to rip it out. But then it grew on me. It's such a big change from plain walls to a nice backsplash, I think it's more of a shock rather than a true dislike of the tile. Anyway, I'm sure you'll grow to love your backsplash. It really looks great.

o

Thanks repac, we just did a small reno, moved some cabinets around, new counter/bs and ucl. With new fridge and stove. I'm glad your bs grew on you. I'm hoping mine does too! I just wiped it again (they just grouted it this am), and got some dust off. The colour is so close to the wall colour (but lighter and not as warm) that I hope that's all it is, shock.

o

I really like it, and painting the wall the darker color will make it even nicer. Did you notice how the green of the glass/cup provides a really nice pop of color in your kitchen? How about using some colorful accessories, maybe the cushions of your chairs, a throw rug, art?

o

I am another in the do not change anything camp. The paint color is the perfect backdrop for accessories. I immediately saw the beautiful pieces on display by the stove. Use more counter accessories to tie everything together. You are almost there! As my friend would say, "We just need to "fluff" a bit"!

o

I really like your backsplash too. I wouldn't change it. You can add color with accessories.

o

I love the tile. And since I don't trust the colors on my computer, I can't tell if the tile "works", but I really like the pattern. I wonder if part of the challenge is that all of the finishing touches aren't done yet, so the backsplash is more prominent than it will be. Looks like you haven't installed your hood yet (what style is it? How much space will it take up?), light switch covers aren't on, window treatment isn't done, plus other decorative touches. I think once you have those items in it will all come together beautifully.

o

Thank you for the kind words and reassurance. I keep wanting to add toss cushions or something :) to spruce it up. Not sure what else to add, maybe I'll browse houzz and see what else I can put on my counter after spending $$ to increase counter space :) (before pic attached)

o

One more before. Thanks for looking! I really appreciate all of the valuable advice I'd received on here!

o

I like it too. You have some beautiful red glass pieces. Once you get some color on the window and maybe something decorative on the countertop, it will mesh.

Is that a dark molding on the tops of your cabinets?

Your cabinets and floors give off a warm color on my laptop so maybe that tricks your eyes with the cool backsplash color. I love the different sizes of rectangles too.

o

I think it looks great with the counters -- don't see the "peachiness" at all. I really don't think you could have done better -- it harmonizes perfectly with the counters and cabinets without competing. Nicely done. Pat yourself on the back.

o

Peke, that is dark molding on the top. I was going to change it, but with everything else adding up, I thought I'd just leave it for now and see how it meshes. It reminds me of a thread awhile back about how you can date a kitchen, and it was totally ours, from the 1990's. And the counter and cabinets are really warm, it's so frustrating with the warmth and coolness and browns and greys, I can't understand it all.

And thank you kris_ma!

o

I'd put new fabric on the chairs and a rug in front of the sink. And maybe a valance over the window. And maybe some little pots with herbs on the window sill. Another possibility: A little rail/shelf for kitchen utensils/knives or a container.

Other than that, I'd leave it as is. It's very pretty and functional. is there a place where you could put cook books?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here