Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
frugalnotstingy

Silgranit scratched - soooo bummed

frugalnotstingy
10 years ago

It's only been 2 weeks since my blanco super single sink has been installed. I kept telling my husband how much I loved it - deep and big - I actually don't mind doing dishes & pots & pans.

This morning, morning while working on the sink, I saw some scratch marks. I felt sooo disappointed. I don't baby the sink but I don't abuse it either. I set things down gently, don't even put knives right on the sink - I always set it on a bowl or a plate. Does anyone know if scratches are covered by the warranty? I haven't read the warranty info yet. Right now I am just sitting here, feeling so sad. I know it's silly - it's just a sink - but I can't help feeling this way. :-(

Comments (23)

• sanjuangirl
    10 years ago

I'm so sorry that that happened! I can imagine how disappointing that is since sinks are a big and expensive decision. I don't have a silgranit sink but I've read nothing but great comments about them and never heard of them scratching. I hope someone with your type of sink will offer some information and suggestions. Perhaps there's a warranty that comes with it?

Good luck with your sink.

• SparklingWater
    10 years ago

I hope you call Blanco and let them now. Another poster also just reported scratches in her Silgranit. Is yours Silgranite II? What color is it?

I'm sorry for your troubles. Please do let Blanco know and see how they might assist you.

• dermnp
    10 years ago

Very disappointed to hear this. We just had out blanco siligranit II installed and loving it too. I did buy they grates for the bottom to help protect it. But too new for me to comment or give advice on scratches. It is like having a new car and getting that first scratch, I would be really upset too.

• frugalnotstingy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It is Silgranit ii & I have the cinder.

dermnp, you hit it right on the head! It is like getting that first scratch on your brand new car. :-(

I ordered the grid this afternoon & I'll call blanco tomorrow.

• weissman
    10 years ago

It's called patina - learn to love it :-)

• Gracie
    10 years ago

Are you sure it's a scratch and not a metal mark? Did you try a mild abrasive like Bon Ami? I've had my Silgranit for over a year and I keep knives in it all day long till we hand wash them after dinner. I don't have any scratches.

• cathy725
    10 years ago

Please let us know. I wonder if this might be something specific to the cinder? Pictures would be helpful.

So sorry it has happened. Definitely contact Blanco.

• andreak100
    10 years ago

Yikes! I'm unhappy for you. How sad you must be and understandably. I hope it works out. Are you able to post any pictures of it so we can see what it looks like? Please update with how Blanco responds. Hopefully it will be resolved quickly and easily (is it "easy" to fix a sink problem like that?)

It concerns me because we were just about to order our cinder Silgranit sink. :(

• frugalnotstingy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I apologize for now just getting back to this... we have an elderly friend who is not doing well right not and we are taking care of her since she does not have family around. Anyways.. here are some pics. The scratches are in different areas of the sink - in the middle pic, the scratch is almost at the corner of the sink.

I did call Blanco and the customer service gal told me to scrub hard with a barkeeper's friend, fill the sink with hot water + 1cup salt and leave it overnight. The wipe mineral oil. I haven't had the chance to do that yet.

Sorry for the big pics - not sure how to make them smaller. I used a smaller size pic when I uploaded.

• lmsscs
    10 years ago

I'm very interested to know if it comes out. I so want a silgranit sink but DH keeps suggesting it will be maintenance and wants a fireclay sink. If you get these scratches out I will feel better pushing my choice. Good luck, let us know.

• cathy725
    10 years ago

Imsscs--many others have had absolutely no scratches on their silgranit ii sinks. The only other one I've seen talked about I think was the original silgranit rather than the newer silgranit ii.

I'm wondering if the new color cinder could be the issue. Hopefully frugelnotstingy can let us know the outcome!

• cathy725
    10 years ago

Imsscs--many others have had absolutely no scratches on their silgranit ii sinks. The only other one I've seen talked about I think was the original silgranit rather than the newer silgranit ii.

I'm wondering if the new color cinder could be the issue. Hopefully frugelnotstingy can let us know the outcome!

• calumin
    10 years ago

If you search enough you'll find that even though Silgranit II seems to be very scratch-resistant, reports of minor scratching are out there.

Blanco also recommends using 50% bleach / 50% water with a soft scouring pad (but not steel wool) for minor scuff marks. See here.

There's an eHow article about how to patch a scratched Silgranit sink with epoxy -- but that seems pretty drastic and for a much deeper scratch than what you have. It is here.

• lmsscs
    10 years ago

cathy725, I do hope that is the case. I really like the sink a lot, but have yet to decide on color. I will stay tuned.

• annkh_nd
    10 years ago

So happy for you! You must be very relieved.

• Bunny
    10 years ago

A happy ending, and a simple one at that. Yay!!!

• andreak100
    10 years ago

Frugal - I'm so happy to see a positive update on this! That must be quite a relief. :) I wonder if the cinder is more prone to scratches showing? Also, I'm wondering if it would be worthwhile to get the grates for the bottom? Did you get them/do you use them?

• cathy725
    10 years ago

So glad they could be removed. They sure looked like scratches but they must have just been rub marks or something!

Silgranit does it again. I sure love my sink and now you can love yours!

• kksmama
    10 years ago

Thanks for the update! I think getting a sample for abuse testing is great reassurance. I'm not an owner yet, but I know Silgranit is going to be great.

• lmsscs
    10 years ago

I'm very happy they came out for you. I do think this is the sink I want. I saw one in a friend's house this weekend that has held up beautifully.

• frugalnotstingy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for all the moral support! it helps to have people who understand. :-) When I told my DH about the scratches he just said "oh well, it's not too bad."
    It is quite a relief & so in love with my sink again. Lol

andreak100, I did get the grates the day after I saw the marks. I am using it now & DH actually told me that he likes it. Imagine that! I like the separation it gives between the sink & dishes that we pile on there while I wait for DH to empty the dishwasher. ;-)

lmsscs, I think you are going to love this sink too!

• Ellen
    4 years ago

I know this is an old thread, but it is what I needed to see. I used barkeeper's on my sink this morning but didn't rub too hard. maybe I will give it a little more action. nice to see positive outcomes.