Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Silgranit scratched - soooo bummed

Posted by frugalnotstingy (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 20, 13 at 14:39

It's only been 2 weeks since my blanco super single sink has been installed. I kept telling my husband how much I loved it - deep and big - I actually don't mind doing dishes & pots & pans.

This morning, morning while working on the sink, I saw some scratch marks. I felt sooo disappointed. I don't baby the sink but I don't abuse it either. I set things down gently, don't even put knives right on the sink - I always set it on a bowl or a plate. Does anyone know if scratches are covered by the warranty? I haven't read the warranty info yet. Right now I am just sitting here, feeling so sad. I know it's silly - it's just a sink - but I can't help feeling this way. :-(

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Silgranit scratched - soooo bummed

I'm so sorry that that happened! I can imagine how disappointing that is since sinks are a big and expensive decision. I don't have a silgranit sink but I've read nothing but great comments about them and never heard of them scratching. I hope someone with your type of sink will offer some information and suggestions. Perhaps there's a warranty that comes with it?

Good luck with your sink.

o

I hope you call Blanco and let them now. Another poster also just reported scratches in her Silgranit. Is yours Silgranite II? What color is it?

I'm sorry for your troubles. Please do let Blanco know and see how they might assist you.

o

Very disappointed to hear this. We just had out blanco siligranit II installed and loving it too. I did buy they grates for the bottom to help protect it. But too new for me to comment or give advice on scratches. It is like having a new car and getting that first scratch, I would be really upset too.

o

It is Silgranit ii & I have the cinder.

dermnp, you hit it right on the head! It is like getting that first scratch on your brand new car. :-(

I ordered the grid this afternoon & I'll call blanco tomorrow.

o

It's called patina - learn to love it :-)

o

Are you sure it's a scratch and not a metal mark? Did you try a mild abrasive like Bon Ami? I've had my Silgranit for over a year and I keep knives in it all day long till we hand wash them after dinner. I don't have any scratches.

o

Please let us know. I wonder if this might be something specific to the cinder? Pictures would be helpful.

So sorry it has happened. Definitely contact Blanco.

o

Yikes! I'm unhappy for you. How sad you must be and understandably. I hope it works out. Are you able to post any pictures of it so we can see what it looks like? Please update with how Blanco responds. Hopefully it will be resolved quickly and easily (is it "easy" to fix a sink problem like that?)

It concerns me because we were just about to order our cinder Silgranit sink. :(

o

I apologize for now just getting back to this... we have an elderly friend who is not doing well right not and we are taking care of her since she does not have family around. Anyways.. here are some pics. The scratches are in different areas of the sink - in the middle pic, the scratch is almost at the corner of the sink.

I did call Blanco and the customer service gal told me to scrub hard with a barkeeper's friend, fill the sink with hot water + 1cup salt and leave it overnight. The wipe mineral oil. I haven't had the chance to do that yet.

Sorry for the big pics - not sure how to make them smaller. I used a smaller size pic when I uploaded.

photo photo4_zps0d1eeb21.jpg photo photo3_zps4e1b3450.jpg photo photo2_zps14c77dfd.jpg

o

I'm very interested to know if it comes out. I so want a silgranit sink but DH keeps suggesting it will be maintenance and wants a fireclay sink. If you get these scratches out I will feel better pushing my choice. Good luck, let us know.

o

Imsscs--many others have had absolutely no scratches on their silgranit ii sinks. The only other one I've seen talked about I think was the original silgranit rather than the newer silgranit ii.

I'm wondering if the new color cinder could be the issue. Hopefully frugelnotstingy can let us know the outcome!

o

Imsscs--many others have had absolutely no scratches on their silgranit ii sinks. The only other one I've seen talked about I think was the original silgranit rather than the newer silgranit ii.

I'm wondering if the new color cinder could be the issue. Hopefully frugelnotstingy can let us know the outcome!

o

If you search enough you'll find that even though Silgranit II seems to be very scratch-resistant, reports of minor scratching are out there.

Blanco also recommends using 50% bleach / 50% water with a soft scouring pad (but not steel wool) for minor scuff marks. See here.

There's an eHow article about how to patch a scratched Silgranit sink with epoxy -- but that seems pretty drastic and for a much deeper scratch than what you have. It is here.

o

cathy725, I do hope that is the case. I really like the sink a lot, but have yet to decide on color. I will stay tuned.

o
update - re: silgranit scratched - soooo bummed

Scratches are all gone! :-D

I used Bon Ami (that is what I have on hand as opposed to BKF), dobie pad & a little elbow grease. I didn't really scrub that hard -scrubbed just like I would clean my stainless steel pans. Then I rinsed & wiped it dry to see if it made any difference & lo & behold, no more scratches/marks! I didn't bother to do the soak & mineral oil steps as I could not see any marks after the scrubbing.

I tried to scratch the sample chip that I have by running a knife on it HARD several times & it didn't even scratch. Go figure. But I am a happy camper now. ;-)

This is the after of the 2nd photo above:
 photo photo1_zps42ff7537.jpg

And after of the 3rd photo:
 photo photo2_zps53221a32.jpg
The white speck you see there is probably just bon ami that I didn't wipe off - it's not there now.

o

So happy for you! You must be very relieved.

o

A happy ending, and a simple one at that. Yay!!!

o

Frugal - I'm so happy to see a positive update on this! That must be quite a relief. :) I wonder if the cinder is more prone to scratches showing? Also, I'm wondering if it would be worthwhile to get the grates for the bottom? Did you get them/do you use them?

o

So glad they could be removed. They sure looked like scratches but they must have just been rub marks or something!

Silgranit does it again. I sure love my sink and now you can love yours!

o

Thanks for the update! I think getting a sample for abuse testing is great reassurance. I'm not an owner yet, but I know Silgranit is going to be great.

o

I'm very happy they came out for you. I do think this is the sink I want. I saw one in a friend's house this weekend that has held up beautifully.

o

Thanks for all the moral support! it helps to have people who understand. :-) When I told my DH about the scratches he just said "oh well, it's not too bad."
It is quite a relief & so in love with my sink again. Lol

andreak100, I did get the grates the day after I saw the marks. I am using it now & DH actually told me that he likes it. Imagine that! I like the separation it gives between the sink & dishes that we pile on there while I wait for DH to empty the dishwasher. ;-)

lmsscs, I think you are going to love this sink too!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here