Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
whifflex

Bar pull placement on cabinet doors

Scott A
9 years ago

I'm in the process of drilling holes for my bar pulls and I'd like some suggestions for my cabinet doors. I've got these pulls:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0038NBQTU/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They are 6.5" long and I'm planning to place them vertically along the margin of my cabinet doors. I'm just not sure how high they should be. I've seen some kitchens where the top hole starts along the horizontal line of the inside margin and others where the topmost point of the pull is centered within the top margin. I don't want them to be too high, but I also don't want them to be too low.

What are your thoughts?

Comments (30)

• Scott A
    Original Author
    9 years ago

That makes sense and that's what I'm leaning toward. After looking at quite a few photos it seems most people line the posts up with the inside border.

• breezygirl
    9 years ago

I know this is not what you asked, but I love mine so much I felt the need for a suggestion. Have you thought about placing your cab pulls horizontally? I don't have a many cabs (drawers mostly), but I placed all my pulls (lowers and uppers) with a horizontal orientation. They are so much easier to reach than down lower vertically. I prefer the ergonomics of this. Here's a pic of the kitchen and then one around the corner in my DR.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

For all you long pull lovers, please be sure the distance between your pull attachments isn't longer than your smallest raised panel drawer if you have one. Don't ask me how I learned this, please.

Blather:

If that is the permanent position of your stove and unless your studs are steel, you've got a serious fire code violation at the left wall. Tile does not make a combustable wall non-combustable. The picture is what your wall is going to look like.

This post was edited by Trebruchet on Mon, Jun 30, 14 at 15:18

• Scott A
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Trebruchet,

This house was designed in the 1960's and this is the original location. I tried to work out another location but I'm restricted by the radiant heat panels that occupy my other outside facing wall. I am building a 4" slice of countertop to the right of it and I'll check into the building codes to see if I'm okay.

breezygirl,

I did see that, but I hadn't considered it. Don't you need to pull from the opening side of the pull to get the leverage to open the doors? Does that get awkward at all?

Thank you!

• breezygirl
    9 years ago

I just grab in the middle and swing open. Easy. No trouble at all with a whole hand or just a finger. A friend who cooks in my kitchen with me at least twice a month didn't even realize the cab pulls were horizontal until I pointed it out to her. The ergonomics worked for her, and she's an engineer. I did it because I liked the visual simplistically and consistency of all the pulls oriented the same direction. Functionally, it also works.

• Scott A
    Original Author
    9 years ago

breezy, what have you done! Now I don't know what to do. I do like the idea of the horizontal pulls, but I just need a little bit more of a nudge. I'm going to search for more photos.

• breezygirl
    9 years ago

Oops. ;) Sorry! If I told you that your original idea of vertical cab pulls was more traditional, would that help? That may be the looking you're trying to achieve.

• Scott A
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes, I was just reading that. It seems horizontal is the latest trend and I'm going for a modern cottage look. I agree that it looks better and more consistent, so I think I'll go for it. Couldn't hurt to have a few more towel racks anyway.

• annkh_nd
    9 years ago

Blather, after seeing Breezy's kitchen (and others), I was convinced I wanted horizontal pulls in my kitchen. But when my cabinets were installed and the pulls chosen, and I held the pulls in place - horizontal just didn't look right.

I can assure you of one thing, however - whatever you choose will be fine. There are so many "right" ways to do it! Breezy's kitchen wouldn't look weird if her door pulls were vertical. I've looked at an awful lot of kitchen photos in the last 2 years, and I've never seen one where I've thought to myself "Gee, that's a beautiful kitchen - too bad they screwed up the pulls!"

• christina222_gw
    9 years ago

Good suggestion Trebuchet! When we did mine we placed the pull on the smallest cabinet and used that measurement for all the rest.

• Scott A
    Original Author
    9 years ago

So I went ahead and put them in horizontally and I'm pleased with the look and feel. It makes my cabinets look like large drawers. Thank you for the suggestion breezy!

• breezygirl
    9 years ago

Good for you for making a decision, Blather! You're welcome. Now I want to see pictures!! You can't post about how you did it without the requisite visual. C'mon.....

• Scott A
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Certainly. I've only got a few of them attached, so I'll wait until I've got them all done before I post a photo.

• breezygirl
    9 years ago

Ok. I'll be patient.

• dcward89
    9 years ago

I wanna see too...waiting patiently!!! After seeing breezygirl's kitchen I considered doing all pulls horizontally. Somehow it just didn't look right in our space but I really like the look.

• brightm
    9 years ago

Still waiting on Blather's pictures. :)

I'm never quite sure which is the acceptable thing to do here...tag along on a related thread or start one's own. I'll do the former here. Please feel free to tell me that I should have done the latter.

I was following this thread and wasn't in a position to post before Blather made a decision. This was the kitchen in Lowe's that inspired us to move ahead with our remodel.

I'm sure DH and I aren't the only one's who have to really question each other about what we like about a particular kitchen. It came down to the fact that DH really liked the height of the upper cabinets (not that they're stacked, just that they're tall) and the horizontal pulls. This was a Kraftmaid display in maple, and we went with Innermost and Natural Cherry. Still shaker. So I'm thinking our kitchen will look somewhat of a cross between this and dcward89's.

Cabinets are due Wednesday. I'm finding things to think/worry about. Obviously, I'm a long way from installing pulls, but it's something I can research now. :) Our pulls are very much like the ones in the photo above. I'm pretty sure they're the one in the link at the end. (when I googled the part number on our invoice, this came up, so I think it's pretty a safe assumption). We got them through the cabinet manufacturer ONLY because they were essentially free (we needed to get up to the next level in HD's scheme to save $X more). It was good because it took one more decision out of my hands.

My question comes down to where to place the horizontal pulls on the 5 piece drawers. Breezy kept hers in the middle of the inset. dcward put them on the top rail, like Breezy's are on her doors. On the 'Show me your trash pull out thread' I've cataloged MGMum's, a2gemini's, and a few others where, on the trash pull out, they've put it in one place or another vs. where they put it on their drawers.

So while I'm looking forward to Blather's pics, I'm also trying to decide what to do when the time comes. The 'shouldn't-everything-be-the-same' part of me thinks I'll put them all on the top rails of all base units and bottom rail of all wall units. Thoughts?

Here is a link that might be useful: Amerock BP1954SS pulls

• badgergal
    9 years ago

I vote for all on the top rails of the drawers. That's how I did mine. In fact as you can see in the photo below I even put them on the top of my slab drawers.

• brightm
    9 years ago

Yes badgergal, thanks. Yours was another I'd pulled onto my sheet of pics of pulls. (And another natural cherry that I hope mine looks as good as.)

• breezygirl
    9 years ago

Obviously, you can go either way. As mine were being installed, I had a twinge of "ohhhh.....those pulls on the door rails aren't the same..." But then I remembered why they were the way they were. I like the drawers with pulls nicely centered on the inset. That looks funny on cab doors so those pulls went on rails. I got over it. 2.5 years out and I don't even notice anymore.

IIWY (if I were you), I'd start with the drawers. Which placement do you prefer there? If you are really up in the air and like the "same-same" look, then install them like badgergal.

• Scott A
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sorry I haven't posted a photo yet. I've been slowly drilling the holes over the past few days, but I've only got 4 more pulls to install now. I put mine in the center of the slab drawers as that looks and feels more natural to me. The only problem with that is the lazy susan door will have a pull slightly above all the others. I wonder if I should install the pull on the indentation so it lines up with all the others. Might look strange..

• breezygirl
    9 years ago

Blather--I can't picture your dilemma. Do you have a photo of the area?

• Scott A
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Actually, it won't work. The pull on the lazy susan door will just have to be higher than the others.

• Scott A
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here are my horizontal pulls in all their glory. Now all I have left to do is the backsplash. I'm still debating where to put the pull on the lazy susan door. Suggestions?

• breezygirl
    9 years ago

Wow! It looks great! Congrats on a job well done. As for the LS, I think the only place is the rail on the top. It won't line up with the pull on the top drawers wherever you put it, so you might ad well put it on the most ergonomic and stable place.

Do you have the bs picked yet?

• brightm
    9 years ago

It does look awesome. And if you put it on the top rail of the lazy Susan, it'll look like breezy's second pic, which also looks awesome.

So exciting!

• susanlynn2012
    9 years ago

Thank you everyone for sharing. It looks like there is not wrong or right way as looks as the pulls are placed consistently. All the kitchens are so beautiful!

Breezy is the granite up a tiny bit everywhere are just the area away from the sink as I love the look! The verticle Marble is how many inches up on the wall? What CM is your gorgeous slab? I know you used BMW Simply White for the paint and it is beautiful with the Marble. I love all your choices. I wish I had so much light like you have in your kitchen.

Badgergirl, your cabinets are beautiful also and the pulls looks so nice since they are consistently placed.

Blather, I would place the pull on the top rail like the other cabinet doors. I love how your kitchen is coming along.

• jaynes123_gw
    9 years ago

I am SO glad I found this thread - never considered horizontals cab pulls matching drawers and now only what I want..

Not only visually so appealing but them being located on lower panel is particularly practical for those high, harder to reach cabinets.

Ive one wall of four cab doors and all are located above lift up door cabinets. Other wall uppers are purpoosely raised higher.

• breezygirl
    9 years ago

Lynn--OT response to your questions....

The Carrara is 4cm thick. The little marble "splashlette" is 2" tall, and is only on that stretch of counters on the peninsula and wrap-around into the DR. The rest of the kitchen is still splashless. I hadn't planned any splash there, but a fabrication error made it necessary to cover a poorly fit marble piece. I've come to appreciate the simple, unobtrusive strip. Thanks for the kind words!

• susanlynn2012
    9 years ago

Thank you breezygirl for letting me know the answers to my questions. You kitchen is one of my favorites!

Sponsored
High Point Cabinets
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Columbus' Experienced Custom Cabinet Builder | 4x Best of Houzz Winner