Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
elptacek

Trimming drawer fronts to accommodate tiling: would you do it?

byzantine
9 years ago

I hope this message finds you well! :-)

Our cabinets are in, and it is now apparent that there is not enough room between the drawers and the wall to allow us to put tile floor to ceiling as planned. These are face frame cabinets, with plenty of allowance on each side of the drawer face that we could trim off half an inch on one side to make room for tile on the walls. Function is the primary goal for our kitchen -- it has to be easy to clean. Therefore we are less concerned about three lopsided drawers and more concerned about having a completely tiled wall that is easy to keep clean.

However, it is quite possible that there is some very good reason for not cutting up the drawer faces that I've overlooked. Thoughts?

Cheers!

Comments (14)

• ajc71
    9 years ago

Can you post a pic?

• jerzeegirl
    9 years ago

Unless your drawerfront is solid wood, you might be cutting off the edge banding which would not be a good idea. Also unless your drawerfront is slab, it might look unbalanced. Depending how much space you have, you might consider skootching the drawerfront over a bit to clear the wall. You might have to make new holes for the screws that go into the back of the drawerfront. The if the bottom cabinet is a door you can try to move it over by manipulating the hinges. It might be easier to figure out what is feasible if you post a picture.

• byzantine
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hah! I was trying to get pics up and realised I did not know my shell password, so I had to ask my husband to reset it. Then I got sidetracked by seeing what sort of DOM injection this forum would let me do (none, so far, so I gave up).

The drawers are hardwood (hickory) slab front.

Here's pictures:

This post was edited by byzantine on Mon, Jun 2, 14 at 15:02

• ajc71
    9 years ago

No problem, cut away...make sure you put some finish on the cut end, if you leave that endgrain without finish you are asking for trouble! You could just put on several coats of mineral oil as the finish....make sure after you cut them you sand with 100-120 grit paper to open the pores and let the oil soak in

Make sure that when you cut these you use a sacrificial piece again the fence if cutting on a chop saw...if using a table saw make sure the sacrificial piece is backing up the front as it goes through the blade to prevent chipping/tear out

• jerzeegirl
    9 years ago

I wouldn't do it. There should have been a space the thickness of the tile between the cabinet and the wall. If you tile now, the tile will sit in front of the frame and I don't think that would look right. If you paint the wall with an eggshell paint, it should be very easy to clean. Dare I say, perhaps easier to clean than if there was tile in that location.

• Fori
    9 years ago

How reasonable is Jerzee's idea of adjusting the drawer faces a little? Can we have a photo of the greater area?

• byzantine
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The tile butted up against the sides of the frames is the sort of thing I didn't think about that I was worried I wasn't thinking about because I couldn't think of it. *grin*

Now I'm concerned about my upper cabinets, which are also flush against the wall, pic at the bottom.

{{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}

I apologise for the artifacts in the picture. I have not been kind to my iPhone and my EOS's battery is charging.

• byzantine
    Original Author
    9 years ago

PS, if you want a video tour, I made one a while back with my EOS. Ignore my congestion.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rrgmcpqdnazbfkg/MVI_1983.MOV

• Fori
    9 years ago

Wow those are CLOSE! I can't imagine walls anywhere being straight enough to open those drawers! :)

I think you could probably cut the drawer fronts, but the uppers won't be as agreeable. Maybe tile up to the bottom of the uppers?

• byzantine
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The walls are brand new. A lot of effort was put into making them straight. Do you suppose they'll stay that way? *grin*

• jerzeegirl
    9 years ago

I don't think you can put tile against that wall...there just isn't enough space.

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

I've never seen cabinets buts right up to the wall like what without some sort of filler piece. Or maybe I just never noticed?

• kirkhall
    9 years ago

Wallpaper instead of tile? I think it will look strange to do what you are desiring to do, esp with the uppers.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

Remove the cabinets and install a filler piece at the wall. Cutting the drawers is hillbilly.