Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ukalison

Backsplash with Bianco antico granite

ukalison
12 years ago

Hi

Granite is being installed tomorrow and we are going this afternoon (again) to select a backsplash. I'm having a heck of a time pinning down the right tile. I have white cabinets, stainless hardware and appliances, all easy but I have a brick floor and would like to tie all the colors and textures in. Any suggestions?

Thanks so much

Alison

Comments (20)

• kitchenaddict
    12 years ago

Hi ukal..

Even though you have a red brick floor and are trying to compliment that, I would keep the backsplash simple because BA is really a showstopper and doesn't need any competion.
    (worth $0.02 cents exactly)

Good Luck!

KA:)

• slush1422
    12 years ago

I agree with KA. BA will definitely be the star of your kitchen. This blog talks about backsplash with granite also.

Here is a link that might be useful: Backsplash with Granite

• ukalison
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks KA and sluch. That like was very helpful. I just saw photos of someone elses kitchen (need to go back and search) that used crackled subway tile with a thin band of glass mosaic. Looked really pretty. That wouldn't be busy right? I tend to not know when to stop. Thanks

• beekeeperswife
    12 years ago

The backsplash can have color and shape but beware of too small a pattern or you will have a busy backsplash and busy counter, and busy floor. I'm sure you've seen mine (the white arabesque). Happy to post it if you haven't. Also, search for srg215's kitchen she went with a stingray color subway (which was a strong contender in my space so I live vicariously through her kitchen). Her tile is also available in other colors, maybe one will work with your floor. The arabesque tile is also available in a variety of colors from Mission Stone & Tile. It is a larger tile, about 5" x 6", so it's not small like a mosaic.

Oh yeah, and welcome to the Bianco Antico club.

• ukalison
    Original Author
    12 years ago

BeeKeeper
    Would love to see your kitchen and srg215's. Is there a way to search for pics.

Thanks for the welcome to the BA club. I have a feeling of calmness since finding this forum. I was getting too overwhelmed.

Thanks everyone

• ukalison
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Just did a search and found your pics on Apartment Therapy blog. Absolutely gorgeous and you're right, it like a classic chanel. Love it. I had thought I wanted a contrast color tile against the white cabinets but starting to rethink that.

• ukalison
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you Beekeeper. Hope my kitchen turns out as beautiful as yours and srg's. Off too google more pics. You have been extremely helpful. I'll let you know what happens at the tile store later. Thanks

• ukalison
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Just got back from hours at tile store..too many choices but I think we narrowed it down to carrara white tile with a stainless steel small brick backsplash above the cooktop only. Any feedback from anyone. All opinions welcome! BTW saw my granite all ready to be installed tomorrow and I love it but you guys are right, it's busy.

• susanlynn2012
    12 years ago

Ukalison, the combination of carrara white tile with the stainless steel small brick backsplash about the cook top only is going to look perfect with your beautiful granite choice! I can't wait to see pictures!

• donnakay2009
    12 years ago

We just did a simple subway tile (Home Depot, cheap, plain, went well with our 1930 home) with our Bianco Antico. We also had white cabinets, a medium brown cork floor, and brushed nickel pulls and stainless appliances. It works. People visit or come for parties and say, "Wow!! What great granite! What's it called?" And I'm so happy with our granite, almost two years later. Best of luck. You can't go wrong with plain and simple, because the granite is detailed and gorgeous.

• beekeeperswife
    12 years ago

UKAlison--I think that the backsplash sounds pretty. I'm a sucker for marble though. But with that being said, and not seeing a photo, I can tell you from my own experience of testing marble with it, it was just too competitive with my granite.

It's hard to explain, especially when you see my backsplash. Even though mine has an "oh wow" factor to it, it is essentially a solid color. And that is what still makes it possible to have the counter be the star of the kitchen.

I am a very visual person. This might not make any sense to you. After your counters are in, go to the tile store, bring home some samples and see what you like. Take photos, post them, ask opinions. Make sure to get some plain subways too, even beveled subways. A beveled subway will help give the plain subway a little pizazz, something the BA deserves. You need to bring home all the contenders. Also look at different shape subways, 2x6, or even larger format ones.

I hope my response isn't too confusing. Most of us go through what you are going through. Sometimes we find one in the store and are sure that it's the one, but then later realize it's not when we put the two together at home.

Looking forward to a post from you later today with the counter reveal. Take photos during installation too.

• michiganrachel
    12 years ago

Hi ukalison,

Like donnakay, we selected a plain white subway to go with our bianco antico counters. It lets the counter tops be the stars. I have white shaker cabinets, walnut island, and a medium-dark oak floor.

Here are a few pictures.

Good luck and can't wait to see your finished kitchen!

• alwaysfixin
    12 years ago

We haven't installed our backsplash yet (granite has been in since September!), but we are going with a plain Daltile cream subway tile. It's priced well too. We are thinking of going with a smaller size subway, 2 x 4, instead of the standard size subway tile. Our kitchen is quite small and cannot handle a lot of different pattern or materials. Still thinking the tile size over.

• pondlily
    12 years ago

I have some coppery flecks and streaks in my BA and was thinking of pulling them out with the backsplash.
    I agree with Bee, the stone is so beautiful that deserves a little pizzazz! But I think a little is all it can handle without becoming competitive. The simple white backsplashes are lovely and let the stone pop so I'm really torn! I was also thinking of marble with grays but felt it might end up being too busy.
    We've had the granite for about 2 months now, and everyone who has seen it has loved it and so do we! I'm, anxious to see more suggestions, and good luck in your search, it really is a challenge to pull everything together!

• marble_com
    12 years ago

Attached is a video of a Bianco Antico kitchen with a 4x4 glass tile backsplash. Hope this helps and gives inspiration.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bianco Antico Kitchen

• abbeys
    12 years ago

Good Morning Ukalison,

It's surprising how challenging the backsplash question can be (at least to me anyway). I don't have anything different to say, really, other than to agree with beekeeperswife - there is something of a conflict when you have 2 different natural stones together. It's distracting to the eye. I was sure that I wanted crema marfil subways on my backsplash - until I took home a sample and set it up next to my granite sample. The longer I looked at it, the less I liked it - the movement (even though it's subtle) in the crema marfil conflicted with the movement in the granite. I have seen some kitchens where it worked, but I'm not sure why some granites work with marble and others don't.

There are some beautiful tile choices available, and you get the interest from the shape and sizes of the tiles. But the symetrical, consistent pattern of the tiles serves as more of a backdrop to the organic movement of the granite. At least, that's how it looks to me.

Anyway, best of luck. Hope you'll post some photos so we can see the result. I'm sure it will be beautiful.

Abbeys

• ukalison
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Michigan Rachel, Love your kitchen, so clean and elegant.

The granite men are in my driveway with the granite as we speak. Can't wait to see it and will definitely post some pics.

BeeKeeper, I wish I was visual, I'm not but I do think you are right about seeing it in and bringing tile home. Just looked at the granite in the light outside and it looks different every time I see it so I'm excited to see how it appears once installed.

Wish I could live with it for a while and decide on backsplash but my old tile went halfway up the wall and on the backsplash so the wall is demo'd too.

Thanks for all your input, it helps so much to hear everyone's opinions.
    Alison

• beekeeperswife
    12 years ago

Start a New Thread with the Photos of the granite installation!!!

• ukalison
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The granite is installed, love it. It reflects the light beautifully and I love the random silvery speckles. So pretty. Took pictures but my computer is giving me problems on the upload photo page. I'll work on it later. Next backsplash, then bar next week and week after fireplace. Can't wait to be done.