Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
isixpacku

Encore crackle field tiles- Grout line size/grout color

isixpacku
9 years ago

We are getting ready to have our Encore crackle 3 x 8 field tiles in smoke installed as our backsplash. For those of you with Encore crackle field tiles do you know what size grout line was used?

My KD asked me what grout line I wanted and I responded asking what was feasible and wanted to make sure it was someone who had previously installed similar tiles. We have had recent workmanship quality issues which you may have seen threads on, and I don't want the backsplash to become one of those problems.

I talked to the showroom from where I purchased the tiles, and they said the tile installer should be able to tell me what was reasonable but the installer should shoot for 1/8" but it would likely be between 1/8" to 1/4" in size. Is this what others have experienced? I know they are handmade tiles and won't be easy to install.

Also, what color did you pick for your grout? Did you try to match the light relief on the edge of the tiles? That is what I am leaning towards doing.

Here is a picture of the tiles.

Comments (8)

• jellytoast
    9 years ago

I would definitely match the grout to the light relief on the edge of the tiles rather than the center color. I would also go with the smallest joints I could get away with; 1/8 inch might not be the best look if the edges are uneven and the tiles are different sizes, but your installer can advise on what will look best. If your recent "workmanship quality" issues are with your tile installer and you don't trust his opinion, he probably shouldn't be doing your install.

• jerzeegirl
    9 years ago

You should find out if the web site has installation instructions. Encore should have recommendations about how wide the joint must be.

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

I have similar tiles made by Fireclay. Our installer laid them out on the counter with different size spacers. We ultimately opted for 3/16", at our installer's suggestion. 3/16" is what Fireclay recommends, and the installer felt that 1/8" would show more "imperfections" because the tiles are hand-made. Here's a picture of our installation - it came out great.

• romy718
    9 years ago

We used this Antique White for Silver Encore field tile. My tiler advised a color close to the light relief at the edge of the tiles, as jellytoast suggested. He made up several samples of off whites & this one was the best. Don't hesitate to email Encore. I got a nice response from them regarding sealing, which I will try to post a copy of later tonight or tomorrow.

This post was edited by romy718 on Tue, Jun 24, 14 at 15:58

• jerzeegirl
    9 years ago

I don't think you are supposed to use non-sanded grout for the larger joint that is required with a handmade tile.

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

Oh yeah, we used sanded grout, and the color we chose was based on how it looked with both the tile and the cabinets. We didn't base it on any part of the tile alone.

• romy718
    9 years ago

Here's some info about laying out your tile prior to install and cleaning & sealing.

Here is a link that might be useful: Encore Tile Care Guide

• romy718
    9 years ago

Regarding my questions about sealing, I contacted Linda Kennedy, National Sales Manager at linda.encore@mac.com.
    I didn't ask Linda about grout. I didn't have the knowledge to have a discussion with my tiler about sanded vs nonsanded grout & the size of the grout lines. GW provides a great education. I lucked out as my grout lines look great & I don't have any visible lippage.
    I'm sure you know this but be sure your tiler caulks, rather than grouts, where your tile meets your countertop.
    Also, not a bad idea to play around with your tiles & lay them out as you want them installed in case your tiler doesn't have an artistic eye regarding the color variation.