Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amyspaetzle262

Mismatched bisque appliances

amyspaetzle262
9 years ago

My 10-year-old bisque fridge has finally died and I'm shopping for a replacement. There are only two bisque models that fit the space and neither appeal to me. So I am looking at living with mismatched appliances for some time as my Electrolux stove is only 5 years old and in perfectly working order. Down the road, when that conks out, it too will be replaced but that could be another 10 years. My kitchen counters, backsplash, sink, range and range hood are all cream. Walls are light green. Is there anything I can do to make the mismatched look more tolerable? And do you think the elephant in the room will look any better in black, slate, white or ss? I was leaning toward slate but don't want to be faced with another discontinued color in 10 years.

Comments (10)

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

I'd give this stuff a try:

Here is a link that might be useful: Appliance paint

• greenhaven
    9 years ago

I recently acquired my first ss appliances and I will never do it again. I love the go-with-everything feel of them, but they look dirty alll the time, especially the fridge. I want to be able to swipe a sponge over the fingerpints and ketchup splatters and not think twice or clean twice or purchase special cleaners or live with the streaks and marks.

If you like the bisque (I actually love it, think it is very neutral in most applications) keep it. If you can't, opt for white. Just my humble opinion.

Frankly, I do not see an elephant in your room, I think your kitchen is warm and pretty. I never would even have noticed your appliances do not match, and even looking hard I can barely tell. Maybe it is is different IRL.

So, that is my two cents, and probably about all it is worth, too. I will never do SS again (DH's insistence) and my black smooth-top electric stove shows every single grain of salt, water spot and sponge streak.

• tinker1121
    9 years ago

I think if you keep looking you can find one in bisque to fit.

• live_wire_oak
    9 years ago

Fix the issue with the fridge alcove and expand to several more choices. With the average lifespan of a fridge being around 7 years, you're gonna have that issue again in the future, so you might as well deal with it on a permanent basis now.

• amyspaetzle262
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all for your suggestions. The fridge hunt continues. I've been using my 25-year-old mini dorm fridge and it's working just fine until I can find something else.

• Susan St. Pierre
    9 years ago

Would you consider a color? Summit will do their fridges in any color. I have no idea on the price though. Appliance paint DIY would surely be less expensive. What about a fun green?

Here is a link that might be useful: Summit colors

• Fori
    9 years ago

How have you been looking for a fridge? Just in case you haven't checked AJMadison's website, do so. They carry most of the brands and have a great search feature. I don't know if they are a good store but even my local appliance store uses their website as a reference (while hoping the customer doesn't look over their shoulder). It's a great resource to find out what is available.

• desertsteph
    9 years ago

goodness - I'd better pat my 16 yr old fridge on the tummy!

put an ad in CL for one. A lot of people get rid of them and go to SS. That's how I got my bisque stove and dw. They were using their refund ck to change appl out. Their 'old' were very nice. I'm sure it's what was there when they bought the house.

or check HFH and other used stores.

• heidihausfrau
    9 years ago

I just wanted to say I love your screen name!

I made spatzle last night.

• tomatofreak
    9 years ago

I second desertsteph; troll craigslist. I've been looking for stove, sink and d/w for the reno and I can't tell you how much bisque is out there. (I'm looking for black.) Lots of it is high-end, too. People are just going with trends and changing out perfectly good appliances.

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz