Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
malhgold_gw

Do You Have Different Door Styles in Your Kitchen

malhgold
15 years ago

If you have different door styles in your kitchen I'd love to know why you made the choices you made. Do they have completely different looks to them for contrast or are they in the same "family" just tweaked a bit. I'm considering different doors just don't know which road to go down. Pics would be great. Thanks so much!

Comments (13)

• bluekitobsessed
    15 years ago

I wanted some beadboard but not too much, so put beadboard on the island only. The beadboard door was in the same family as the standard Shaker cabs, only with beadboard in the center. I elected a slightly non-standard Shaker style for the perimeter cabs -- I guess the two styles are second cousins of each other but not close kin. Here are some pix of each (I hope to post finished pix this weekend). I'm also doing different knobs & pulls on each, but in the same color family:

I believe that a lot of people doing two different styles also use two different colors, and try to keep them both within the same family...I'm not sure there's a right or wrong way to do it though.

• berryberry
    15 years ago

yes - door styles and colors

Here is a link that might be useful: pics here

• allison0704
    15 years ago

You know me; four colors, three countertop materials and two doors styles (four if you count the glass doors and the doors with chicken wire)

French Gray Island Kitchen - the doors on either side of range are the same as island. Black coffee station cabinet too. Pine hutch is different (hard to tell in photos).

Here is a link that might be useful: My Kitchen

• mnhockeymom
    15 years ago

Hi mahlgold - mine are different - 3 colors, each one a different panel and one piece (the red hutch) is a departure all together in that it has inset doors/drawers. I wanted to set the stained wood apart from the painted and like the mix of raised vs flat panels.

Here is a link that might be useful: My Kitchen

• malhgold
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Is there or does there have to be any rhyme or reason to the door styles "coordinating" or does it just not really matter. Pick what I like. Thanks!

mnhockeymom - haven't seen you around for a while or have I just been missing your posts?

• allison0704
    15 years ago

Forgot the refrigerator section - it's the same as the pine hutch.

There was no rhyme or reason to mine. Just picked what I wanted. That said, I do think they need to go together visually.

• malhgold
    Original Author
    15 years ago

do you think a raised panel door(on the understated side) would go with a shaker door? or it depends on the style of the raised panel?

Should they both be recessed panels or both be raised panels? Does that make a difference?

Inset with shaker?

• vwhippiechick
    15 years ago

We have two door styles and colors. All cabinets are inset style. The door style on the stained alder cabinets is shaker and the door style on the painted cabinets is raised panel.

I have seen LOTS of magazine pics with mixed colors and styles. It is really an individual choice. It has to look right to you.

• jenanla
    15 years ago

I just ordered my cabinets, so I don't have pictures yet, but I will have 3 different door styles and 3 different colors.

I will have a "hutch" with cooktop that will be a Shaker door in Oak with a Bordeaux (red) finish. The sink base will be the same color but will be Maple beadboard. On the same wall as the sink the base cabinets (on either side) will be a raised panel design in a Praline glaze (dark cream) and then on the end of the run will be a paneled fridge in the same raised panel but the color will be distressed black (there will also be a black upper cabinet on the other end of the run.

I will be bringing my existing island with me (it is black) that has 3 diffrent door styles on it (inset with raised panels, inset with recessed panels, and slab drawers).

The island counter is Copper, the sink run will be butcherblock with Soapstone sink, and the hutch counter will be Soapstone.

Boy, is my kitchen sounding VERY busy!! LOL

When my friends or family ask, I tell them that I ordered all cream cabinets, because when I first considered mixing it up, everyone thought I was crazy. It will be interesting when they see it for the 1st time.

• coleen3201118
    15 years ago

We have shaker doors on our perimeter and raised panels on our island, both contrasting colors. I wanted a chunkier furniture look for the island. I wouldn't change it for anything! Don't know if you can see it too well in this photo but it's the best I've got!

• malhgold
    Original Author
    15 years ago

jenanla - LOL!!!! You should have a video camera ready for when your friends and family first walk into the kitchen so you can see their reactions. Do you by any chance have a floorplan you can post that would show me where each of the colors are? I will have 3 different areas, "L" shape perimeter, island and separate frig/freezer zone that could technically take different door styles/finishes, but am also afraid of it looking too busy. I'm considering the perimeter in black, island in natural rift cut oak and frig/freezer area in something else, but I just don't know what. Might just cave and do that in black as well.

colleen - I'm thinking of doing the opposite of you, raised panel in black on the perimeter and shaker in natural rift cut oak on the island. I think the contrasting styles look great!! Thanks for the pic!

• rhome410
    15 years ago

These are all gorgeous. Can't WAIT to see your 'busy' and wonderful sounding kitchen, Jenanla! I think all of us with plans for multicolored kitchens have dealt with the wide eyes and attempt at encouraging smiles that indicate people are trying to come up with a positive reaction while actually thinking it sounds nuts. :-)

• ljsandler
    15 years ago

I have 3 different door styles with 3 different colors of cabinetry. I wanted something that would blend but be different enough whereas it did not look like I made a mistake or ran out of material.

The door style on my island is different from the door style on my perimeter cabs and hutch. The top drawer on my perimeter drawer stacks is a slab drawer with drawers 2 and 3 being 5 panel. I couldn't get the first pic smaller so make sure to scroll across the page to see full effect. I also have different rope twists posts on my island than the perimenter rope twist posts. In fact, the island is a different manufacturer all together than my perimeter cabs and hutch. I tied it all together with the same hardware color/styles.

Here's some pics: