Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
golfer57_gw

Help me pick my backsplash and floor super white kitchen

golfer57
10 years ago

Hi guys,

i have white shaker cabinets with super white countertop. Im at the backsplash and floor stage and for the life of me cant decide...here is a pic. I was leaning towards the one on the far left because its the most subtle and doesnt compete with the super white.

This post was edited by golfer57 on Wed, Aug 21, 13 at 13:08

Comments (75)

• golfer57
    Original Author
    10 years ago

i agree the white cabinets are a little stark..i wished i had specified a warmer white...here is a pic of my overall kitchen so far..the rest of the granite is covered for now ..as you can see i dont have very much backsplash space..just the one counter and where the stove is and maybe a 12 ft run where the sink is where the backsplash is only 6 in tall..i think im leaning toward a simple brick marble..ill have to keep looking...and i agree none of those floor choices sing to me..so i will continue looking..

also the soffit area is going to be repainted in case anyone wondered..

• golfer57
    Original Author
    10 years ago

i was thinking maybe a marble brick pattern like this that i saw in a model home

• golfer57
    Original Author
    10 years ago

i also was thinking of doing a design above the range like this...this is marble with tumbled travertine...its a 100 dollar sqft!!!! i couldnt justify the cost...does anyone know a place that would sell designs like this...i was told they are custom made therefore the high price.

• mic111
    10 years ago

What about white arabesque back splash tiles? I think they would look great in your kitchen. They would add some curviness without the $100 per sqr foot price. You can google for pics.

• lolauren
    10 years ago

I agree with the rebels; none of those look right in the space. I lean towards the first one, but it DOES look bluish in a bad way. My last pick would be the fourth one because, to my eye, it would compete with the. (Obviously, others feel differently. Do mixed patterns in the same space compete and cause disharmony to you?)

• golfer57
    Original Author
    10 years ago

what do you guys think of this floor.

• golfer57
    Original Author
    10 years ago

this is a warmer floor..im leaning towards this..but i feel like it may clash...

• chicagoans
    10 years ago

love the first floor! hard to tell colors accurately on a monitor, but the first floor tiles look really good (to me) with the cabinets and counters.

Tile for backsplash... I like the simplicity of the one on the left but think the tone is too cool / bluish. The granite is soooo lovely (as are the cabinets) that I think the backsplash can be really simple.

Have you checked artistic tile for a pretty pattern behind the cooktop? They have some lovely tile patterns (just one linked below.) They're not cheap by any means, but might be less than the custom one you found.

Here is a link that might be useful: Artistic tile mosaic

• sanjuangirl
    10 years ago

Love the marble brick you posted and think it has the right feel for your SW. I think it's like the middle choice in the initial post? I like the swirly pattern a lot for your stove accent. Since its a smaller area, perhaps it could count as a splurge item?

The fist grayish floor tile looks perfect but will not add any warmth whatsoever. The beige one doesn't work in my opinion. How about a warmer and darker wood tone stone tile to add warmth and depth to your lovely kitchen?

Good luck! It's looking good!

• beekeeperswife
    10 years ago

This is my opinion. I have (what looks like) white cabinets (even though truly, they are light gray) and Super White counters.

The counter is the star of the kitchen. I think the bs and the floor need to be a neutral back drop for it. That doesn't mean "boring". It just can't be something that is trying to be another star. Laser cut tiles need to be the star of their own show, for example. Gorgeous yes, but not a backup singer for the fabulous Miss Super White.

The tile that looks like wood, to me,has a wow factor alone. Personally, I like the look of a darker simple tile. A dark floor will visually warm up the space too.

I have arabesque tiles with my sw. Reason being, I had them in the last house, hadn't gotten bored with them since I didn't have them that long before we moved. I did try to find something else to work. But everything I tried, really wanted to be the star of the show. Oh, the painful experience it was bringing home the samples and just saying "no". Why I love my arabesques is this: in the overall picture, it is a plain white backsplash, but the shape is what makes it special. It is beveled, therefore it catches the light, like a Chanel quilted bag.

I tried samples of the dark gray arabesques too. They were too dark. I suggested that they make a lighter gray one, and they liked the idea, ordered them from the factory but I couldn't wait for them, so I went with white again.

And in reality, when I designed the current kitchen, those tiles, in white, were always in the back of my mind.

One color I have found looks absolutely fantastic with this counter is light blue. If you are not opposed to the color, take a look at it. It really looks nice.

• golfer57
    Original Author
    10 years ago

thanks guys for all your input...i am leaning towards using a dark wood porcelain tile because i think its a great way to bring warmth into the kitchen...the only issue is i have wood floors elsewhere..do you guys think it would be weird to transition from wood floors to porcelain tile wood in the kitchen that isnt the exact same color...also im leaning towards this glass backsplash from dal tile...i know its plain but i feel like it wont compete with the sw as much as something else with more color

• beekeeperswife
    10 years ago

I don't think its weird at all. I think the fact that you are transitioning from one material to another is fine, no matter if it looks like wood or not. I'd prefer to see that than trying to match the hardwood and not being able to do it. Or putting down vinyl that imitates wood. In our last house we had wood foyer floor, and then it transitioned into the cork flooring for kitchen. The planks ran a different direction, were 6" wide, so it obviously was not like I was trying to fool anyone into thinking that it was hardwoods continued. Although many people were confused that it wasn't hardwood.

I think the tile for the bs might work out nicely. Take a sample, and try painting a board the wall color and do a sample board. This will allow you to experiment with what color looks best behind the tile, and what grout will look best with it. You will probably want the grout to help blend the tiles together vs making them all stand out individually.

• golfer57
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hey everyone,

i decided on a wood porcelain floor to warm up the kitchen..any you guys prefer..thanks again..

• susanlynn2012
    10 years ago

I like the third one from the left as I like the reddish color. Then I like the 2nd one from the left. Third place is the darkest one that is first. I am trying to see the tiles with the beautiful counter. Actually all the wood tiles look nice to my eyes on my monitor.

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

I like the two darker ones.

• beekeeperswife
    10 years ago

I like the one all the way to the right. Well, the longest one, all the way to the right. Not sure what the small piece is...

• motherof3sons
    10 years ago

1 and 4 would look great!

• jess1979
    10 years ago

Can you post a picture of the tile wood look floor next to your wood floor. I had this same decision on what to put next to my wood floor. I got three samples of the tile floor that looks like wood. If you are able get more then one sample of the same color. Try it next to your wood floor.

• islanddevil
    10 years ago

Your kitchen is looking great, but sorry don't like any of the BS shoices. I think the small tiles compete with the countertop. If you twisted my arm I'd go with the one on the left, but maybe too bluish, can't tell. Think a larger tile with fewer random grout lines would be better.
    For the floor, last pic you posted, I like the last long one on the right.

This post was edited by island on Sat, Jul 6, 13 at 14:27

• golfer57
    Original Author
    10 years ago

im going to go with the glass backsplash that was listed a couple posts above, not in the original pictures..i know some may think the mosaic tiles are a little small and hence may look busy but i am going to take the advice of beekeeperswife and try to use a grout that blends the mosaic together instead of highlighting each piece..also here is number 2 and 4 of the wood tile porcelain up against the wood floor...not sure how this transition is going to end up looking..luckily where they would meet is not that wide as you can see...what do you guys think..awkard transition? should i go back to a regular tile? thanks again

• islanddevil
    10 years ago

Do they butt up against each other for only a few feet or is it an open plan? IMO it's an awkward transition because it looks too much like wood and the color doesn't coordinate with the existing wood..
    As much as I love the wood tile I'd probably choose something different or a completely different color so it doesn't look like a mismatch to the wood.
    My first choice would be to bring the wood into the kitchen. Is that out of the question for you?

• AboutToGetDusty
    10 years ago

I have seen real wood butt up against tile "wood" and it looks odd imo. I like both, just not together. What about faux slate? I have that running up against real wood (from my pantry area to my mudroom) and it looks good. The contractor used a schluter strip to separate the two.
    I agree with Bee that the color blue looks great with your kitchen color scheme. But you have to be able to commit to blue. I think the backsplash options are lovely but too competitive. Artistic Tile carries the pricey waterjet stuff (I have it but just behind my range). You could do a small subtle border of interesting tile with a more plain tile - even the ones you originally showed - mixed with white square or subway? Or arabesque as others have mentioned. Good luck! It's great to gather opinions, but in the end go with your heart and what is going to make you happy in the long haul :-)

• golfer57
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The transition is only 3 ft.

• susanlynn2012
    10 years ago

I feel either wider wood tile plank would go nicely with the skinnier plank solid wood floors in the adjoining room as they are not trying to look like each other and are different widths with only a 3 feet transition. This is just my humbler opinion after seeing some neighbors who have done the same thing in their homes.

• golfer57
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hey guys,

after almost installing the glass tile above... good thing we just nailed it up first...you guys were absolutely right..waaaay too busy....after having to eat the restocking fee...i think im going to go with a 3x6 marble subway tile below called white contempo....it is suppose to be less gray then carrera ...what do you guys think..im worried because i dont want to have to pay restocking fee twice!! too bad i can find anything i like from home depot...easier returns i realized...i think i want to go with this and and frame out that mosaic design shown above over the range...what do you guys think..thanks

• golfer57
    Original Author
    10 years ago

here is a pic with some samples..two are honed and two are polished..im assuming honed will be better so it doesnt show the etching as much? thanks

• sapphireriver
    10 years ago

I like the marble subway tiles a lot better. Since the marble is on a vertical surface I wouldn't think it'd get etched much, if at all. Personally, I like honed over polished though.

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

Sorry to be a Debbie Downer, but I think these are too white and "cool" and don't complement the warm creamy counter. Find something similar in warmer tones. Also, a very dark floor will show everything. I like that 12X24 tile in your Jul 11 post...the second pic of this tile looks like a different color...if its not, then it doesn't go. The first tile pic looks like a perfect match..I like it a lot.

• islanddevil
    10 years ago

You already have the swirly marble look in your Super White and I think repeating something similar with the marble BS detracts from the beautiful countertops. IMO a simple subway would look better.

• plumberry
    10 years ago

I vote simple subway for bs - floor anything except I would steer away from reddish tones. i'm not expert though, just my taste.

• rkb21
    10 years ago

I, too, love the idea of a simple white subway tile. Can't wait to see what you choose!

• Bunny
    10 years ago

I am so glad you decided against the glass tile! I would kill to have your counter, and the glass was not worthy. I also vote for a simple subway.

• bookworm4321
    10 years ago

I am a novice at kitchen designs, but here is my2c. I'd go with a plain BS, with some MOP thrown in.

I like the lighter floor, but I live in SE so I am biased.

• golfer57
    Original Author
    10 years ago

hey guys..im almost to the finish line..but still cant pick a floor...i ended up with white marble subway as my backsplash above..everyone at the tile shops suggest gray to match the counters but its too cold for me...im thinking of these wood porcelains..which do you guys think look best..someone also suggested a beige tile since im painting the wall are bluish gray but i think that would look funny..

• golfer57
    Original Author
    10 years ago

also like i said earlier i have about a 3 ft transition to the wood floor in the family room...is this going to be a real awkward transition..would using a metal transition strip make it look better or stick with the wood? here is a pic..its dusty!!! thanks again

• eam44
    10 years ago

I like the color and look of the middle, widest plank. In terms of transitions, you could stick with wood or use the tile itself laid horizontally. FYI - If you're going to cut one of these babies, you need a diamond blade.

• pricklypearcactus
    10 years ago

With your cabinetry I like the middle best, then the left. But next to your existing floor, I think the right looks best, followed by the middle.

• susanlynn2012
    10 years ago

I love woods with red in them and that was what I liked best until I saw the wood tile with your real wood floors. I now like either the middle one or the one on the right with your floors and they both look nice with your cabinets also.

• golfer57
    Original Author
    10 years ago

im leaning towards the middle one...but i do feel the one on the right matches more with the existing floor..i wonder if more contrast is better? would using the right one just look like an unsuccessful attempt to match the wood floor with wood tile?

• kellyh_2010
    10 years ago

Your counters, bs and cabinets look so good! Love the counters.

Are you set against doing real wood to match the floors you already have?

I agree with you and others in that I really like the middle one but the right matches the best. What about doing a different pattern with the wood tile in the color that matches the best. Someone recently did a herringbone in their kitchen that transitioned to real wood and it looked great. I have also seen floors laid at a diagonal, but not exactly sure how that would look without seeing more of your space.

• romy718
    10 years ago

I like the middle one. I think that one will warm up your white cabinets and GORGEOUS countertops. I obsessed and drove myself crazy worrying that my cabinets were going to be too white. I did a wood floor in that tone and it softened the white and warmed up my whole kitchen. Your current wood floor has planks in various tones. I see a plank that blends with the middle one. Is the middle one the same as #4, in the first round of wood porcelain tiles? I liked that one also.

• susanlynn2012
    10 years ago

I see both the middle wood tile one and the wood tile one on the right picking up the colors that are on your wood floor so I feel it is up to you as you see these two tiles in person. I still love the reddish one on the left but now prefer the two tiles to the right as they will go better with the wood floors in the next room.

• islanddevil
    10 years ago

Middle by a mile.

• krycek1984
    10 years ago

You seem to gravitate to cooler colors. I feel like you are fighting your natural inclination to choose colors and hues on the cooler side of things. Are you trying to warm things up with a rich colored floor or are you looking to stay in a cooler palette?

• amykath
    10 years ago

Love the wide plank in the middle. It is perfect! Lovely kitchen! I also like the subway tiles.

• EllaInspired
    10 years ago

I'd choose the dark/light stone before the glass 3?4? for the backsplash, and the center floor tile for the floor. Both compliment both the light white wood and the grey with dark splashes in the counter. I think the third floor tile would warm the space up.

• golfer57
    Original Author
    10 years ago

hey guys,

i have decided with the wide plank in the middle in the last picture for my floor..the question i have is that it comes in 6in and 9in wide planks..would the 9in be better because less grout lines ..or is 6in better?

• Atelierdefleurs
    10 years ago

I think you made very nice choices in the end. I like the backsplash you picked, because as others posted about the glass.... it brings down the quality of the kitchen.....
    The flooring...I think it will work out fine.
    We are having the same problem. I actually like the wider plank but either would work. I do like the color you choose and it was my first choice....then it would have been a brown picked up in your original flooring. I hope you post pics when you are finished!
    Oh just as an afterthought....did anyone suggest you do the backsplash in the same countertop granite? That might have worked also, but it's a different look and maybe an outdated look also?....I think you chose a good product...bet it's gorgeous!
    Best wishes on it's completion!!!

• Atelierdefleurs
    10 years ago

Golfer57
    Forgot to say...I agree with one of the posts....that the Danse Lucido from Artistic Tile, would have been a killer backsplash....if the sky was the limit as they say....very art nouveau feel to it...black, whites, and greys all classic....you can't go wrong with your choices they are timeless !

• msrose
    10 years ago

I love the middle plank. Can you tell me what it is?

Sponsored
Interior Style by Marisa Moore
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars57 Reviews
Northern Virginia Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2013-2020!