Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
yardboi

Finished kitchen

yardboi
11 years ago

We've been back in the house for almost a year. I'm just now getting around to posting these. Everyone here was really helpful. You will probably notice elements from lots of the regulars. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Comments (58)

• marcolo
    11 years ago

Awesome. Is that a pantry to the right of the sink? We want pics of it open.

Is that an original built-in hutch by the table, or did you reproduce one?

• poohpup
    11 years ago

Very beautiful. So light and bright! Enjoy your beautiful new space.

• CEFreeman
    11 years ago

I love the columns you used on your credenza!

• finestra
    11 years ago

Beautiful! Enjoy!

• pawa
    11 years ago

I like your kitchen, and in particular your display cabinet with your pretty things :-)

• schoolhouse_gw
    11 years ago

Very pretty. The perspective in the third photo makes me feel like I could walk right in there and put the kettle on for tea. Love all the colors and your cabinets. Like they say on House Hunters all the time,"Wow..."

• gr8daygw
    11 years ago

It's really beautiful! I love the island and your beautiful stove : )

• Pipdog
    11 years ago

very cool space! I love the modern yet classic vibe. nice job!!

• meangoose
    11 years ago

I have serious pantry envy now. What a beautiful kitchen!

• bahacca
    11 years ago

Beautiful space! I LOVE the wood island. I wanna pet it.

• yardboi
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks everyone. The house was built in 1918. The kitchen had been redone in the 1970s. It needed help. The cabinets are custom built by a local cabinetmaker. The small china cabinet in the breakfast room is a reproduction of the original cabinet that was there. It was in bad shape. The hutch is something we added.

• eriepatch
    11 years ago

Very very nice yardboi

• camphappy
    11 years ago

Oh I love your inset cabinets and your bright yellow walls. Are those the original floors or are they new? May I ask what the wood species and stain are? They are beautiful!

• TxMarti
    11 years ago

Just gorgeous! Love the island top.

• smiling
    11 years ago

Simply beautiful! Your attention to detail shows through, and I especially like how your door and window have the same pretty mullion treatments.

• yardboi
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The floor is a Mirage engineered wood. I think the finish is yellow birch.

• sanjuangirl
    11 years ago

Great job! Congratulations on a beautiful job. The eating area is simply lovely. Please share your details. What is the counter top, type of sink, cabinet make and color, etc.????

• francoise47
    11 years ago

Yardboi,

I love your kitchen! You've done a great job. The cabinets are beautiful; the pantry looks great, and the reproduction china cabinet in the breakfast room looks like it was always there. I love the simple liner in your backsplash -- such a nice simple detail that adds a lot to the vintage style.

Do you have a floor plan? I'd love to see how your space is configures with the breakfast room.

• francoise47
    11 years ago

Yardboi,

I love your kitchen! You've done a great job. The cabinets are beautiful; the pantry looks great, and the reproduction china cabinet in the breakfast room looks like it was always there. I love the simple liner in your backsplash -- such a nice simple detail that adds a lot to the vintage style.

Do you have a floor plan? I'd love to see how your space is configures with the breakfast room.

• beachpea3
    11 years ago

Wow! Well Done! Love each detail! Especially the small china cabinet and the pantry... Can we see more of it???
    Echoing SanJuanGirl.....Details Please!!

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

Nice! You are going to enjoy making many creations in that beautiful kitchen. Can you send the details on your kitchen?

Your backsplash might have solved one of my trim problems!

Thanks!!

• yardboi
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I'll try to remember as many details as I can.

Sink is Blanco silgranit
    The faucet is also Blanco
    The granite is Cambrian in a leathered finish
    The island top is an end grain butcher bock in jatoba (Brazilian cherry) from Grothouse Lumber
    Fridge is KitchenAid counter depth
    D/W is Bosch
    Hardware from Rejuvenation (except for the latches on the upper cabinets which are from Restoration Hardware)
    Light fixture is from Hudson Valley Lighting
    Cabinets are custom made locally

Let me know if there's anything else you'd like to know

• yardboi
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The backsplash is 3x6 tile from Subway Ceramics with a 1/2" black liner -- an idea I totally stole from here. Now I can't remember whose kitchen it was.

• farmgirlinky
    11 years ago

Really a lovely job!
    Lynn

• 2LittleFishies
    11 years ago

Very pretty kitchen! I love it .... how high are your ceilings? Love the yellow!

• peonybush
    11 years ago

What a beautiful kitchen. The cabinets are gorgeous. Nice match on the door and the window over the sink.
    Tell us about your backsplash tile....love that black pencil line in it.

• francoise47
    11 years ago

Hi Peonybush,

Yardboi's post above about their kitchen's subway tile must have cross posted with yours.
    Just in case you didn't see the post, they used Subway Ceramics 3x6 tile with a 1/2 liner.

Here is a link that might be useful: Subway Ceramics tile

• peonybush
    11 years ago

Thanks Francoise..as you can see by the time of my post, my eyes were crossing and my brain wasn't processing anymore.

• francoise47
    11 years ago

Hi Peonybush -- I've been there! GW is the only silver lining of my insomnia.

• clarygrace
    11 years ago

What a beatiful kitchen! The inset cabinetry is indeed one of the best I've seen. Every element of the space is so well designed, with purpose and functinality in mind!

Enjoy this great space for many years to come!!

• onedogedie
    11 years ago

Beautiful cabinets. I don't think you named the paint color? I love your island pendant and how it is a tweak on the expected schoolhouse shape. I've never seen that window mullion pattern before. Is the window fixed? Did you reuse the original? Is the door original?

Could the kitchen with the subway tile and black liner be Buffalotina's? Her picture links are broken. Such a loss for the Kitchen forum.

• denali2007
    11 years ago

Simple yet elegant. Your cabinet near the door is like one mt grandmother had when she built her home in 1927. It was upstairs and used as a linen cupboard.

• yardboi
    Original Author
    11 years ago

denali - good eye. The pantry is modeled on a linen press we have upstairs.

The paint is a non-oil based waterborne paint. It's a custom mixed color.

The lights over the sink are from Rejuvenation.

The window is fixed. It and the door are new, but were made with the same, original mullion pattern used in the rest of the house.

• yardboi
    Original Author
    11 years ago

One of my big influences was mamadadapaige, especially the island and butcher block. I'm trying to see if I can find any notes where the back splash idea came from.

• francoise47
    11 years ago

Hi Yardboi, Mamadadpaige was such a big inspiration for me too -- I've done such a great job, while making your kitchen unmistakably your own.

Tito's kitchen, from last year, did a great job with a Subway Ceramics back plash with a black liner.

{{!gwi}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Tito's backsplash

• yardboi
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Francoise. Tito's kitchen was a definite influence. As was jgarner53.

• yardboi
    Original Author
    11 years ago

And KLB2000's backsplash was another big influence. I'll try to get some pictures of the pantry opened up. It has a neat drawer within a drawer that I use for spices. In fact, I put in lots of drawers (and highly recommend them). Our everyday china is in one directly across from the d/w -- makes unloading really easy.

• zenamidievel
    11 years ago

Very nice!!!

• yardboi
    Original Author
    11 years ago

My favorite things:

• yardboi
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The overhang on the island is 8.5 inches. It's on the short side. We didn't plan on spending much time there. It's primarily for our son. It has no additional support. Both the architect and Grothouse agreed it would be fine.

• francoise47
    11 years ago

Hi Yardboi -- just curious: how thick is your wood island top?
    It looks great and I like the heftiness of it.

• yardboi
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Francoise,

It's 2.5 inches thick.

• shanghaimom
    11 years ago

This is such a beautiful kitchen!! Your cabinetmakers did an incredible job. I love everything, but most especially love the island, the dining hutch, the upper-uppers with latches, and the "linen press." (I have an original one upstairs, too!)

So simple and serene. Lovely.

• hzccpn
    11 years ago

Yardboi - Your kitchen is beautiful! What a wonderful space.

Can I ask - what is the distance between your island and your sink cabinet wall?

• islanddevil
    11 years ago

Stunning. Beautiful insert cabs with a place for everything. Love the chunky funky bin pulls, so different from the usuals.

Have a few more Qs for you if you don't mind.

Were your cabs painted elsewhere before install or painted in place?

Is that a full depth fridge disguised in deeper surrounding cabs? Looks great!

Also love your floors. You said they're Mirage engineered yellow birch? Is that the species or also the stain color? Looks like the perfect mid tone I'd love to have. Are they easy to take care of?

Thanks. Enjoy your wonderful new kitchen!

• islanddevil
    11 years ago

Oops forgot, can you also please tell me the make and model of your hood? Thanks.

• Rainwood
    11 years ago

What a beautiful kitchen! It's a beautiful update but "age appropriate" for the house. And the yellow is so cheerful that I want to come over and hang out.

• debrak_2008
    11 years ago

Really nice kitchen. Would you please post a close up of your backsplash? I really like the pencil liner with the jog around the window. If possible post of photo showing the liner where it jogs. We will be DIYing ours soon and photos are helpful.

• angel411
    11 years ago

I love your kitchen! You did such an amazing job of keeping the character of the home flowing in the kitchen. I'm crazy about the pantry and the island top!

• SparklingWater
    11 years ago

Congratulations on your kitchen. It's lovely. Inset cabs, linen press reproduction: swooning.

Regarding your BS: do you have similar white subway tiles and black pencil liner in your bathrooms by chance? Our colonial does and I like them so much, but everyone seems to take that style out nowadays.

Thank you for showing us your period replication work.