Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
twinkletoesmomma

Islands with beadboard and casserole dish storage ?

twinkletoesmomma
14 years ago

How's that for a combination!

I'd love to see some islands with beadboard either on the sides or the back. Any pics?

If it is on the back, does it only look right if you have a long rectangle-shaped island as opposed to a more squarish one?

Also, where do you keep 9x13 and 9x9 casserole dishes and loaf pans?

One more---would a 30" deep drawer bank be okay for a few pots and pans or would I need to go larger?

Comments (10)

• morton5
    14 years ago

The regulars on this board will be sick of having me show-and-tell agian, but here is my casserole storage, in a deep lower drawer:

The drawer is a Blum tandembox metal and melamine drawer, from Ikea. The dividers snap onto the rails in any configuration you want.

Custom wooden dividers could probably accomplish the same task.

My loaf pans are on a shelf above my oven (I keep my tray storage in a base cab). Sorry, can't help with the beadboard.

Will a 30" drawer stack be enough to hold all your pots and pans? It depends on how many you have. I have all mine in a 30" stack, except for my cast iron fry pans and dutch oven, which are in a shallow drawer under the oven, and my seafood kettle, which is in a cab over the refrigerator. Be sure to measure your tallest stock pot to see if it will fit in the deepest drawer.

• twinkletoesmomma
    Original Author
    14 years ago

nice! Do those ikea dividers work on regular (Kraftmaid) cabinets?

• morton5
    14 years ago

No, they only work with the Blum tandembox drawers. I think it would be possible for one to make an insert for a regular drawer, though.

• arleneb
    14 years ago

Okay, Morton5, how have I missed seeing your storage pictures? Great idea! I'm saving the picture and may try to configure it for non-Ikea drawers. Thanks for sharing.

I keep two 9x13s in a kitchen drawer and extras stacked on a pantry shelf. I love to freeze casseroles so I've accumulated quite a few. Since we've just moved in, and I don't have a freezer yet, I'm seeing them all in one place for the first time. Ouch!

• prill
    14 years ago

marylynnnc are you in the finished kitchens blog - I don't see you under this name if you are. I'd love to see the rest of your kitchen. Prill

• twinkletoesmomma
    Original Author
    14 years ago

thanks everyone....keep the ideas coming!

I have been thinking, would it be weird to have a 30 inch drawer bank on the short side of the island with 2 15 inch cabinets on the other side (one being a pull out trash can)? Bead board would then go along both long sides. My island has to be 30 by 48 given the space--no seating required.

• southernstitcher
    14 years ago

marylynnnc, I love that shallow shelf idea. It really reduces the stacking required, which I hate with a passion. I may go this route, unless I was getting drawers like morton5's, which I totally envy. I wonder if my cabinet maker could configure something similar?
    I have to decide soon on the baking pan and pyrex dillemma. I was getting all bases, but now I'm sort of rethinking that.

• twinkletoesmomma
    Original Author
    14 years ago

bumping this back up to see if there are any ideas on the island configuration. I am still very undecided. Any pics of drawers on the short side of an island? I only seem to find open shelves. Thanks

• riskaverse
    14 years ago

Our KD put vertical dividers in the space above our fridge. She intended us to use it for cookie sheets, trays, etc. We do use it for all of that, but we also put our casserole dishes up there. You just reach up, grab a corner of the dish and it easily comes out.