Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
firstmmo

Finished Finished! Rancher Remodel, dark to light! (tons pix)

firstmmo
13 years ago

We are done, we are moved in.....after 17mos living with my mom and enduring living out of cardboard boxes! Love love love my new kitchen!! Thank you to all of you who deeply inspired me (redroze,elizpiz,rm,theanimala,segbrown,many many more!), and I hope you don't mind that there's a piece of each of your kitchens that I copied because I admired it so much. I learned so much by lurking, reading everything then finally posting.

THINGS WE LOVE:

--Our cabinets were so reasonable and they work beautifully. We LOVE Precision Cabinets! Their install was immaculate and perfect. When we had a glitch with the warming drawer, they fixed it perfectly! While I couldn't afford every "bell & whistle" inside the cabinets, I love them.

--White Princess honed. It's gorgeous and I no longer have the OCD urge to constantly wipe my counters (our old granite was polished). I also love my backsplash done in the same material--I am attracted to visual simplicity so couldn't pick a tile :)

--Cheap dishwasher. Paid $500 and we love it.

--Deep cheap sinks. Our main Ebay sink is awesome($500)! Love the 10" big single bowl. The island sink was cheap too, and is the perfect size, $150.

--White everywhere and one big room. Not for everyone, but my DH and I love the big open light-filled room. Far cry from the dark rancher that it was. We tore down two walls and raised the ceiling.

--The soapstone buffet. It was a remnant piece and I love that it doesn't match the rest of the kitchen. Sets it apart and boy does the texture feel nice!

--The papertowel niche. Not important, but I like that the towels are off my counter and totally accessible.

--The two hidden cabinets in the island near the stools. All my Xmas dishes, Thanksgiving platters and everything fit in here!

THINGS WE WOULDN'T DO AGAIN:

--The Vent Hood: Modernaire was a NIGHTMARE to deal with here in the NorCal area. You have to go through a distributor who will upcharge you $2,000 to order a hood. Modernaire won't sell directly to anyone who is in the area of one of their distributors. The rep here was a complete idiot, ripped me off and in the end didn't deliver what I had ordered. I had to then hire someone else to fix the goofs. Not worth it!

--Order our range through AJ Madison. Total pain to get this stove delivered. The rest of our appliances came without a hitch but the delivery of the range was a disaster. They refused to deliver it until we had a concrete pathway, but our city had some issues with solid pathways and the runoff, etc. Had 4 delivery dates and they turned around each time and refused to bring it in the house. In the end I would have purchased this through our local store (there was no discount on this by buying on internet, unlike the other appliances).

THINGS WE STILL NEED TO DO:

--Help me pick kitchen table chairs! Those pictured are folding chairs for holidays. Our old ones were falling apart, so we ditched them in the move. What should I put there?

--Shades ordered and we are waiting for them to come and be hung.

--The stools (CB2 Vapor) are too tall and we need to have the legs cut down. They only come in 30" or 24" and one is too tall and the other is too short. Sigh.

THE DETAILS:

CabinetryPrecision Cabinets, Brentwood, CA; painted in stock color which matches Simply White

WallsÂBM Simply White

Kitchen CountersÂWhite Princess granite, from DaVinci Marble & Stone in San Carlos, CA, with 2.25" mitred square edge

Buffet CounterÂBrazilian Black soapstone from Texeira, SF, with no edge finish

Door and Drawer PullsÂTop Knobs, Square Pulls, Polished Chrome; ordered off the internet

Main SinkÂEbay purchase 36" SS Farmhouse w/apron front , single bowl, flushmount

Island SinkÂDawn 19X17 single bowl, undermount

Main FaucetÂBlanco Meridien Semi-Professional in Brushed

Island FaucetÂSantec Penza pull out in Brushed

RefrigeratorÂElectrolux WaveTouch; ordered off Homeeverything.com

DishwasherÂWhirlpool Gold Quiet Partner III; ordered from AJ Madison

Microwave DrawerÂSharp 24"; ordered from AJ Madison

RangeÂViking Range w/6 burners and griddle; ordered from AJ Madison

Hood Modernaire custom hood

Trash CompactorÂGE Profile in SS; ordered from AJ Madison

Warming DrawerÂKitchenaid Architect Series II; ordered off Homeeverything.com; panel from cabinet co.

BacksplashÂWhite Princess granite

WindowsÂSemco

Flooring-DuChateau pre-engineered floors in Lugano

Big Slider DoorÂCustom made 10Â bypass doors by McFarland Doors, w/custom screen

Island PendantsÂHudson Valley Pelham 13" ordered from Butler Lighting

Breakfast Table PendantÂRound 26" linen chandelier by Restoration Hardware

Buffet SconcesÂBoston Library Sconces by CircaLighting.com

Before:

Family room:

After:

Comments (150)

• muskokascp
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

firsthouse - I am also putting in a large island and I would love to have some input from you on the layout. Could you please have a peek at my post?

I have been back to your pictures a kazillon times already - so stunning!

• kimmieb
    13 years ago

Your transformation of that house is THE BOMB. I have a ranch too and had to scratch my total remodel due to the economy so I'm doing remodel in place room by room. Ours was going to be 18 months too but much more traditional. I wish my architect had vision like yours. I would love to do what you have done. You must be so glad to be back in your house. It looks awesome especially the kitchen. I know you are in another state but do you mind me asking what the total cost was of the whole project? Do you have another post with details on the exterior remodel? Would love the details.

• gryane
    13 years ago

I absolutely LOVE how you modernized your ranch style home. It is gorgeous, inside and out. I love the materials you used. What in inspiration! Thanks for sharing!

• cplover
    13 years ago

Wow. Simply gorgeous. I finally found a granite I like thanks to you!

Are your cabinets inset or frameless? I cannot tell from the photo, I just know they are gorgeous!

• kitchenkrazed09
    13 years ago

Absolutely breathtaking! Love the open, airy loft feel, while still being elegant. Love the white walls, the thick gorgeous counters and the wood floor. Actually, I love everything about it. Everything is perfect and works so well together. I thought the same thing - magazine layout. This is one of my favorite kitchens!!! That is saying a lot, since I have probably seen a zillion kitchen photos.

• piaa
    13 years ago

Beautiful, fantastic, gorgeous :)

Piaa

• carecooks
    13 years ago

firsthouse mp,

Your kitchen is stunning. I am not a fan of all white kitchens. I just finished my kitchen remodel and up until that point all I have ever had were badly-done all white kitchens. But even though I'm finished with mine I keep coming back to yours. Everything is perfect. I know that you'll enjoy cooking in it.

Your modernaire hood is pretty spectacular and hopefully its beauty will take away the bad taste of their distributer.

I'm in Northern California too and I'm looking for a table to replace my current kitchen table. Where did you get the table near the island? Also, the green loveseats/sofas?

• lincolnduncan
    13 years ago

I found this thread yesterday and have looked at your photos about 7,000 times since then. Let me echo the previous posts - this kitchen (the whole remodel actually) is stunning! Absolute perfection! Can you please post the dimensions of the space? Thanks and, once again, great job!

• midwifekim
    13 years ago

Thank you for this post. I needed it! I have been off GW for a while, as I was staying up too late most nights- and our project went into full speed ahead. I am so relieved to see you are moved in and... HAPPY. Your home is truly beautiful.
    For two weeks, we have been camping in our nearly complete whole ranch remodel- after 18 months of temporary apartment living with 2 kids under 6 and a 65lb dog. We are in the East Bay. The floor oil went on today. The interior lights will be installed on Friday. The kitchen counters and master bathroom should be in in 3 weeks. Woo Hoo! I'll post pics soon.

Let me know how long it took the dust to settle. We are swimming in it!

• cirone
    13 years ago

love the paper towel dispenser! and the hood is beautiful...sorry it was such a terrible experience! seriously, i can't believe your before and after pictures are of the same place. you did a beautiful job!

• ttla
    13 years ago

Beautiful! I joined GardenWeb after seeing your post :-)
    This layout and size is very similar to one our architect has designed for us. My one question: Do you think your fridge is too far away? The architect has placed ours even further... it would be opposite your island where your table begins. Is that crazy far? It's like 19' from my sink, walking around the island. Pretty, but should it be closer?

• firstmmo
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Had a delicious, amazing few weeks off to meet my sister's new in-laws in Italy. My love of marble has been renewed! I still love my white granite, but seriously, the marble all over the restaurants of Italy made me realize that it's not a big deal to have etching. OK, that said, I also realized that there were many posts while I was gone!

Cabinet pulls: $6-$12 by TopKnobs in Square Pull, Polished Chrome (purchased from topknobshardware.net)

My kitchen table: Restoration Hardware, 18 years old. The chairs around it are our holiday folding chairs...we still need chairs but I need to give our bank account some breathing room! For now they will have to do and if I wait long enough, the holidays will be here LOL!

My sofa and chair: Macy's brand, 15 years old, and it was $500 for three pieces--not good quality but it certainly has lasted!

My fridge is 47" from counter and the space doesn't bother me at all. I turn around and use the island counter to put things on and it's not a reach at all. Love having a big landing area that I don't even have to move much from fridge to counter to prep. I think 4' is about as far I'd like to go, but many have lived with farther.

The kitchen dimensions are: 42 feet by 22 feet. Divide the 42 in thirds to get the dimensions of each "area". They are equal sizes with the overhead beams as the dividers.

Midwifekim: Can't wait to see your photos and progress!!

RANCHERS UNITE--SO MANY OF THEM!~ Lots that can be done with them! I want to see all your fun transformations too!

• aliris19
    13 years ago

Transformation indeed! When I look at your before and after pictures I just have to laugh; the change is so complete it is actually funny. I can't really even pick out any vestiges of the old. Not actually sure *why* this is funny, but I just smile and laugh every time I look from one to the other. Thanks for the delicious, light relief! Smiles are good....

• island_obsession
    12 years ago

Your kitchen is an absolute dream! I'm totally jealous and now searching far and wide for white princess honed. I'm assuming you're still happy with it and haven't had any problems with staining, etching, or chipping? I also love your island. Almost everything in our remodel is up for compromise EXCEPT that I have to have a big island for our two little ones to hang out at and hopefully to have casual meals for all four of us. I'm finding though that it's hard to mix form and function. Below is a link to an island design that I love, but I find it so hard to talk to people when you're all in a row. I'm wondering if you ever pull the stools on the ends of your island around the corner for conversation purposes and if so, if the overhang is enough to make that work? Or any other ideas people have about island seating. I just haven't found any designs with seating on multiple sides that are attractive to me so far . . . Thanks!

• kledford
    11 years ago

I absolutely ADORE this kitchen! I will be starting a remodel soon and your kitchen is lovely. I may have overlooked it but I would love to know where you purchased your acrylic bar chairs....they are practical and don't interfere with the design or break up the room....the just seem to disappear!

• elee325
    11 years ago

I love the finished look of your kitchen. The white princess countertop is beautiful. It's exactly what I was looking to use for my kitchen.

I found out it is a quartzite. And after a visit to a granite and marble location in our area, i came home very disappointed. The man there said he didn't like to work with the white princess quartzite because it cracks more easily when working with it to shape, which would mean it's more brittle than granite and other quarzites he's worked with, such as mother of pearl quarzite. He also said customers in the past have come back and complained about it turning green in some areas.

What have your experiences been so far? I see you posted back in 2010 so have been using your kitchen about 2 years now. Any problems with scratching, etching, or staining, or even changing colors??

I thought I found the perfect alternative to white marble.

I would extremely appreciate any feedback regarding your experiences with the white princess countertop.

• finestra
    11 years ago

Gasp! Stunning Kitchen! Unbelievably gorgeous.

btx - I need your old dining room mirror. ;)

• KristinF2012
    11 years ago

I quite literally gasped out loud when I saw the transformation. Bravo!

• dljmth
    11 years ago

Congratulations! Beautiful! I am a in the Bay Area too - on the Peninsula - and we are updating our rancher too. Thanks for the lead on Precision cabinets. I talked to Modernaire a while ago and boy, are they expensive!

• bethanyjk
    11 years ago

Im surprised this hasnt already come up but Im curious about your patio doors... are those sliding? with a screen? Do you have a source and a price range? We just made an offer on an old ranch house that NEEDS those doors :)Thank you!

• Ivan I
    11 years ago

Wow, that looks like a million dollar remodel. You would definitely win any "biggest bang for the buck" content for who added the most $$ to your resale.

My 2 favorite details:
    1) the paper towel holder
    2) the artwork

Well done.

• huango
    11 years ago

Love it all!!!

Oh please tell me: what is the color of your diningroom wall?
    W/ your lighting, it looks like it's the perfect grey (w/ a hint of blue) that I've been searching for.

Thank you,
    Amanda

• TxMarti
    11 years ago

I think this is one of the most amazing transformations I've seen. It's not even the same house now.

What wood is on your kitchen ceiling?

• berardmr
    11 years ago

What a transformation! Question for you -- where did you begin with this remodel? A kitchen designer? architect? design/build company? We want to retire to a rancher and do something very similar to what you did, but don't know where to start. It's hard to vision the finished product but your photos show me that it CAN be done! Thanks for any direction you can provide.

Geez...my backsplash is getting installed in my kitchen as I write this and I'm already planning my next remodel. Am I addicted or what!

• firstmmo
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi friends of the GaardenWeb Kitchen forum....it's been two years and I had carried on with my life in my beautiful kitchen, but then, we sold this house! We couldn't turn down the offers that we had on it, and due to the amazing real estate market here in NorCal, we decided we would sell and start again. I was reluctant but my husband was pretty adamant...."Just do it again" he said. Easier said than done as you all know having lived through the dust, the time involved and the incredible patience it takes to remodel a kitchen.

But, we sold and moved and now I am back here on the Kitchen Forum hoping to gain new insight from all your projects and have just begun drawings for our new (old!) rancher remodel that is about 2 miles from our old house. Whew, what a journey I am on.

Here is my new house--welcome to 1970!

My favorite part, the stove: you can't fit a large stockpot under the micro and you can't see anything inside of a pot in the back....wonder whether the past owners loved cooking? Probably didn't do much except micro things from the size of it!

• angie_diy
    11 years ago

Well, at least you have Batman on your side!

Seriously, though, knowing the drill has got to help immensely. I was learning new things every step of the way! I hope this helps you nail the new one as well as you nailed the first one!

• enduring
    11 years ago

Can you start a new thread when you get on with this new project? I would love to follow along.

• berardmr
    11 years ago

Me too. Your kitchen is such an inspiration to me. Please start a new thread and I will follow religiously! I think I can learn so much from you.

• SparklingWater
    11 years ago

If you would, a question on how did your honed Princess White granite hold up in your prior home (which was stupendous)? Did you find much edging/staining etc..Does any one know if Princess White go by a lot of different names? It seemed perfect with your Precision white cabinets. Did you like your Viking stove?

I'm sure what ever you do will turn out well in your new home too. As many, I'll be following along.

Thank you for any comment and Happy Holidays!

• Gigi_4321
    11 years ago

I know that house! I live in A-town also. Judging from the job you did on your last home, this one will be amazing. Can't wait to following along on GW! Did the owners leave superman behind?

• mamadadapaige
    11 years ago

OMG!!! swooning. just an amazing transformation and absolutley stunning. So many things to love. Congratulations!

• go_figure01
    11 years ago

hi firsthouse (and now 2ndhouse)... Somewhere along the way I acquired the 3rd picture that you posted of your remodel (from the kitchen looking into the LR). I do not remember how I came across it (pinterest?) but I never knew who it belonged to. That was when I was a novice with GW, now I know better to write people's names down at the time I am looking at the pics. I sure have spent ALOT of time searching back thru pics - but have relished every minute of it.

I have continually looked at your remodel as one of my inspiration pics because I am also considering removing my LR/kitchen wall & you did such an amazing transformation with yours! I wish I had the space that you did in that 1st house though, mine is only 18 X 36 and I am also considering adding 6ft out to widen it.

Anyhow, I am sooo glad you came back on GW. Now I have a name to that gorgeous inspiration kitchen. And as all the others here have posted, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE continue to post new threads for us as you work on your 2nd house. You will have quite a following.

TY for returning and posting all the fabulous details!!
    Best to you and congrats on your new home !

• Pipdog
    11 years ago

Echoing everyone else...your old kitchen was an inspiration to me too. And I have long coveted that Jessica Martin art piece in your old kitchen. Glad to hear you are embarking on a new project and I'm excited to follow your progress and see how fabulous this one turns out. Cheers to new beginnings!

• nancyj
    11 years ago

Everyone has already said everything I would about your kitchen - absolutely breathtakingly gorgeous! Definitely an inspiration for me as I start to plan my remodel.

I have the same question someone posted up thread - I'm very curious as to how your Princess White held up over the last 2 years. Any etching,staining or chipping? I really love the look of it and it's a strong contender for my kitchen, but am wondering about its durability.

I look forward to following along on your new kitchen journey!

• gsciencechick
    11 years ago

Loved the remodel on your former home, and good luck with the new one! Wow, that cooktop/microwave combo is a disaster. Like you said, I'm sure the people didn't really cook on that.

• firstmmo
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The previous owners did not leave Batman for me! I thought it was totally a riot that they left it there during the open house. I would have taken it down. They did leave me with a home that had windows and doors that don't work well though (sigh), but I guess that doesn't matter since we are going to remodel anyways.

Regarding the White Princess--yes it held up stupendously! I wish wish wish I could find more slabs of the same color for my new remodel. I never had any problems with etching, staining or chipping. My fabricator did tell me that it's very hard to work with because of both the hardness and the tendency to hit areas that are slightly brittle. Thus we were forced to buy an addtl slab in case anything went wrong. It never did go wrong, so I used the left overs for the bathrooms. The color remained fairly true--the thing you can't see in the pics though is that the white has a sparkly greenish cast to it. It shows up closer, but not far away. I think that greenish undertone is what people refer to when they say that certain White Princess is green. I also had each of the slabs honed and I think that makes a difference with the tendency to etch.

Here is a current slab from the same quarry. You can see that the color has substantial amounts of gray and is less monotone:

Here is one of the original slabs from the house. You can see how even the coloring was. In this pic you might even be able to pick up some of the green flecks and green undertone:

I look forward to gaining inspiration and amazing insight from all of you too! I will need it :)

• SparklingWater
    11 years ago

Thanks very much for answering about honed White Princess wear and tear firsthouse_mp. Your new slabs are lovely too. Very exciting (and heady) time for you, again! Looking forward to seeing what you do with your new kitchen and home.

• michoumonster
    11 years ago

firsthouse, congratulations on your second house, i guess you will have to change your GW name now? : )
    I am also in the bay area and I am totally in love with your countertops! (i posted in your other thread also, but glad I peeked in on this one since you have pics of your new house here.
    Can you please recommend your fabricator? add me to your fan base who will be following your new remodel religiously! best wishes and happy holidays!!

• nancyj
    11 years ago

Thank you so much for responding about the White Princess. I love it in your kitchen and would use it without hesitation if I could find slabs similar to yours. I'm in the LA/OC area and will begin my search soon, hopefully the stone yards here have something similar.

Thanks again and happy holidays!

• SparklingWater
    11 years ago

I believe belated congratulations are in order firsthouse_mp. I just found your first kitchen (now sold) featured on houzz, in part by recognizing the White Princess granite as well as by connecting a current picture posted on GW kitchens by oldbat2be (who has her own fabulous kitchen!). Your art work was classy touch.

• firstmmo
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Michou: I used Venice Stone and Tile in San Jose. They did everything from the round circles outside my house to all of the tile setting in the bathrooms and the counter-top fabrication. They were great!

• michoumonster
    11 years ago

firsthouse, thanks for the rec. i will give them a call for a quote. we are almost to the countertops stage now, so i am getting excited. thanks again!

• jmaurry
    11 years ago

Firsthouse (now on to your second house),
    I am trying to find a hardwood floor and saw your gorgeous kitchen. I have looked at 3 Lugano boards, all are different! I know you have sold your house but wanted to find out if you were happy with the Lugano floor and would you buy it again for your new house? I have been looking high and low for an oak wide plank floor that is brown with grey undertones, and oil finished. A tough request. Any light you could shed on this or recommendations for other products would be most appreciated!

• firstmmo
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Jam:
    The Lugano floor by DuChateau was wonderful! It hid dents and dog scratches and the color was exactly what I loved...and it was a great price! If you are fine without sand-in-place flooring (expensive!), then you should go ahead with this flooring.

I am definitely going to have exactly the same brand/color when we re-do our new house in April. It got raves from relatives and friends, and while that certainly wouldn't be my deciding factor whether people thought it was beautiful, the fact that it was so darned great for our common area IS the most important thing.

The variation in color didn't bother me...as you saw from the pictures, once installed they blended pretty well. Admittedly I did "throw out" three boards that were too dark. During install the workers put one in and immediately I saw it and said, "Not that one!". The rest were all good.

I did find another oak flooring that came close to the color I wanted--it was a white oak with an oil finish but was more than twice the price. Since I had a 42 x 22 ft room, that added up pretty quickly and I opted against it. I think it was a custom stain too. They also needed 3x the amount of time to install since it was not engineered, but full wood. I can look back in my files and see what the name of that company was if you are interested. We didn't have the budget, but you might.

• gwlolo
    11 years ago

Michou,

The guy to talk with at Venice is Mazi. See examples of their water cut tiles. Very nice.

• halfwaythere
    11 years ago

Am I reading that you are leaving this house? I would have a hard time with that! I am fairly new to GW so I'm just starting to put the names with the kitchens. It is beyond stunning firsthouse. I love every square inch.

• michoumonster
    11 years ago

thank you GWlolo, i will ask for Mazi when i check out Venice. that is next on my list, maybe for monday!

• MrsShayne
    11 years ago

OMG > you did an AMAZING job. This kitchen is so beautiful. I was literally blown away when I saw the "after" pictures. I'm in love with your color choices and I LOVE your vintage drying rack!!! WOW!! Amazing!!!! I hope I get to design a kitchen that beautiful someday... :)

• aliris19
    11 years ago

My goodness, firsthouse. You put me to shame and then some! I am reeling from starting to get back into gear with all this just to finish up stuff in our house; you first of all, made the kitchen to end all kitchens and then a whole house behind it but to top it off are leaving it all behind?! Not that's what I call fortitude big-time.

• jmaurry
    11 years ago

Firsthouse,
    thanks so much for your reply! I didn't realize you had replied, or I would have responded MUCH sooner! I need to do engineered because I"m on a cement slab in Redwood Shores...Where did you purchase it from? We have been going to Perfect flooring in RW city and they seem to have good prices. I think floors have gone up in the last year quite a bit, or so they tell me. They quoted 7.89 for Lugano, that was the best I've found.
    Lugano boards have varied so much that I moved on to looking at Vernal collection Antique White, which I like, but I'm missing the texture and warmth of the Lugano. My original idea was to get a grayish/brown floor, nothing trendy, just with a slight bit of gray overtone. I just love how your floor photographs.
    As far as cabinets, you mentioned Precision was half of what you were quoted locally, and did you get soft close, and all that, and are you going to use them again? I love your countertop, too.. how did it wear? So you just went to DaVinci and picked it out?