Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
snowbean_gw

glass back splash is up ... progress photo

snowbean
9 years ago

I have not seen a glass ( tempered) backsplash here . this is ours in progress :)

This is in my downtown city condo. We wanted a modern urban " reflective" kitchen in our open concept kitchen, overlooking the living room , dining room area. ( I had them install the same Kohler Simplice faucet and large single stainless off center drain , just like my house ). The biggest difference is that condos have electrical wiring in metal conduit within concrete walls. It's is such a hassle & expensive to move around . That's why I had to leave the wall outlets. Installer would have needed to chisel through concrete to move outlets behind and under cabinets to hide them in a plug outlet strip.

Comments (27)

• ajc71
    9 years ago

Very cool, not a easy install at all...work looks very nice!

I imagine your carpenter had to make full sized templates, that have all cutouts, scribing done etc...then send to glass company to cut the glass, then temper, then back paint and install?

Is it starphire?

How thick?

Is the glass painted or is is clear glass with the wall painted?

Sorry for the barrage of questions, love the look!

• Mags438
    9 years ago

Very cool. I would b interested in learning more - I'd like to get out of the abb one day

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

When you set some stuff on your counters, you'll never see the outlets anyway.

• Iowacommute
    9 years ago

I really like that and was thinking about using lexan at out last house. Palimpsest also had a glass backsplash.

Have you had one before or did a test run? I'm a very messy dishwasher and notice a lot of water on my full heigh backdplash behind the sink.

Here is a link that might be useful: Palimpsest old kitchen

• romy718
    9 years ago

Very pretty, great color. Nice floors too. What wood species?

• chloenkitty
    9 years ago

Love love love it! What are your countertops and can you show a better pic of them, please. Thanks

• a2gemini
    9 years ago

Sweet - I so wanted back painted glass but my walls were not flat enough to support without major work. Glad you shared!

• christina222_gw
    9 years ago

That is gorgeous!

• Marc Johnson
    9 years ago

droooool :) That's awesome! Really love how the floor came out and how it all plays well together. Can't wait to see the finished pix!!!

• cat_mom
    9 years ago

Nice!!!

• mgmum
    9 years ago

Very pretty!

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

"I really like that and was thinking about using lexan at out last house. Palimpsest also had a glass backsplash."

Just to be clear, Lexan is a brand name for a polycarbonate (plastic) sheet and is different than tempered glass. It's one of the best things for stopping a bullet or hurricane debris, but in a backsplash application, it will scratch much easier than tempered glass:

Here is a link that might be useful: Lexan

• ajc71
    9 years ago

Lexan can scratch, put there is a plastic material that will not scratch all that easy that I have used on a previous projectâ¦.very easy to use, cuts with standard woodworking tools.

It does seem to have a "softer" look then glassâ¦might not be for everyone

Here is a link that might be useful: Zenolite

• Iowacommute
    9 years ago

Oh boy. I knew someone would bring up the scratching thing so I should have finished my thought.

We bought sheets of Lexan for some other projects and didn't use it for the backsplash because of the scratching. My BIL is a glazier and has offered to do this when we build our next home because I do not like tiled backdplashes.

• feisty68
    9 years ago

It looks fantastic! I really like the clean look of a glass backsplash. All of the elements of your kitchen work really well together :)

• snowbean
    Original Author
    9 years ago

sorry this is long...My Condo has concrete floors. We went with commercial grade armstrong prefinished engineered wood floors. We could have glued them or nailed them down onto plywood but that would mean vertical height changes which would have impacted the metal front condo door and all other doors. I loved the wood look floor tiles or even smooth stone tiles for a sleek look but my dh hated the tile idea (even with heated pads under the tile $$). Countertop is princess white granite/quartz (?). I was going to go with plain white quartz but was scared of too much white on white ...and the cambria samples looked too much like concrete (grey) (?). The tempered glass back splash is actually back painted white and shows in photos with a pale aqua appearance. IRL the back splash is less aqua looking. I specifically wanted a separate piece for the rear wall of the stove. I have heard that's the area most prone for replacement . Hopefully that will never happen. The glass fabricator said it would be 200.00 installed for that 30 x 22 piece. The fabricator usually makes glass back splash and back painted glass decor or mirrors for commercial stores but he says requests for kitchens have increased lately. I'm so happy - no grout ! Cabinets are custom plywood and painted with a shiny finish. Upper cabinets will be white opaque glass and metal. This reno has been dragging on for 2 months due to worker issues and now the GC himself has been injured (not serious just a bad sprain). sigh....

• schicksal
    9 years ago

What kind of material / thickness is the actual glass?

• juno_barks
    9 years ago

Just to be clear - this is mostly a single piece of glass? I love it and would love to use the idea for my own kitchen. Do tell - glass thickness and maybe general cost estimate? And just how flat does the wall really need to be?

many thanks

• Gooster
    9 years ago

It looks great! This is one of the candidates for our city loft/pied-a-terre. It looks great with your cabinetry. BTW, I see that some vendors offer backpainted glass outlet covers.

Can I ask the potential rude question of how did the costs compare to other options?

• snowbean
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I didn't price it out. I knew I wanted tempered glass backsplash. To give you an idea I have 175 linear inches of backsplash and total cost installed was approximately a bit under 600.00 (my contractor knew him) . My walls are not perfectly flat and had bits of old drywall damage from removal of old backsplash square beige tiles with flowers in baskets. I didn't save any ;) The installer was experienced with commercial and resiadential installs so I trusted him. He made some snap cuts on site similar to the score and snap of porcelain tiles. The outlet holes were cut out in his shop. He didn't template ; he wrote down measurements. The thickness is approx less than a quarter of an inch. The glass was back painted white in his shop. The edges are sealed with silicone. The seam that I requested for the stove piece is very tiny with minimal silicone. He initially offered to fabricate one long glass piece. after our discussion about issues that he has seen or repaired, I decided to make that one section for the stove . replacing one section is easier than the entire long single piece. hth

• ajc71
    9 years ago

Wow, $600 sounds like a crazy low number....when I looked at the picture I was thinking a few thousand dollars!

Not sure how you would score and snap tempered glass, have never heard of that being done before without the piece of glass shattering into a gazillion little balls of glass

• snowbean
    Original Author
    9 years ago

That's true the installer only did that with the very end I have a section of 12 inches where it has tricky angles. The rest was pre-made. I'll have to ask him eeps !! Thanks !!

• Gemcap
    9 years ago

snowbean / palimpsest- now that its been a few months since the BS was laid, could you share your experiences with Backpainted glass? Do you have any issues regarding durability / scratches on the surface? What is the height of the glass at the tallest in your kitchen?

Would you happen to know what needs to be done if you ever wanted to change it? Is it relatively easily removable (with all due precautions taken reg glass of course?)

many thanks

• snowbean
    Original Author
    9 years ago

We love it so far . We wanted a clean reflective zero grout look for our condo kitchen. It is easy to wipe clean . We have had a stainless steel backsplash in one of our previous homes. That was easy to keep clean as well.
    The height of the glass is 20.5 inches and 23.5 inches over the smooth top electric range. We opted for a microwave over the range due to space limitations in a condo. We preferred installing the microwave higher for head room over the range. Getting items from the microwave is similar , however a bit easier, than fishing around for a sock in our stacked dryer that's on top of my new front load washer.

• snowbean
    Original Author
    9 years ago

We are still waiting on some upper cabinet doors and under cabinet lighting.

• raymondtwp
    9 years ago

beautiful! I read through posts but I think I missed where the glass is sourced from. Where did the contractor get the back painted glass? It's great!

Also love the floors and countertops! What a great use of a smaller space.

• snowbean
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It is a local small glass fabrication company that makes glass and mirrors for commercial and residential clients. I found them in the local business directory. I used a local metal smith company to make my stainless backsplash in one of our previous homes in 2005. For that house I called upon a local glass company for the custom tempered glass shower enclosure. We like to find small local businesses ourselves . we don't use a contractor :)