Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
harbormom_gw

I hate hoods! alternatives?

harbormom
12 years ago

Moving along on our house plans (went back to drawing board) and need to decide on wall or island cook top. Here's the problem - I hate hoods. (don't want down draft for other reasons). We are building an old fashioned house (push buttons light switches, inset cabinets) and I know I'll get grief from many, but I'm thinking about going with chrome plated in-wall (through wall) exhaust fans. I can get them higher than down draft so they'll be more effective and I think they'll fit in with the retro look - could turn out great - could turn out tacky. Am I crazy? Other options? Can anyone post unique hoods they've done? I don't want to dump $5k into a crazy cool hood.

Thanks!

Comments (50)

• chiefneil
    12 years ago

Lots of windows?

• breezygirl
    12 years ago

The look of a cabineted one made to look like the rest of the cabs doesn't appeal to you?

• fnmroberts
    12 years ago

Consider a downdraft. Some pull away from the center space between burners, others to the back. Not as effective as a full hood but exhaust outside and are definitely better than nothing.

• deegw
    12 years ago

My in laws have an in the wall kitchen exhaust fan like this one. It was put in new in the 50's (?). It's noisy and inefficient but it looks kind of cool.

• Redhead47
    12 years ago

Maybe this option?

Here is a link that might be useful: Under cabinet range hood

• live_wire_oak
    12 years ago

A wall mantle hood would fit right in with your stated style and still be quite functional. A cooktop is better located on a wall anyway. It's more efficient for effluent capture, and lets you spend your prep time and cleanup time with your guests. That accounts for 90% of the time you spend in a kitchen. Only 10% of the time spent in a kitchen is actually spent in applying heat to the food.

Or, there's the truly vintage approach: getting used to the smell of stuffed cabbage and broiled fish in your home as it lingers on for several days past it's welcome! ;)

• deegw
    12 years ago

I was looking for a picture of an installed nutone wall fan and found this video.

Here is a link that might be useful: Installed nutone wall fan

• palimpsest
    12 years ago

There is a hood above this range:

And one above this range:

It is a "vent pack" or "insert". Neither client wanted an obvious hood. To meet code without placing the cabinet 30" above the gas cooktop, the underside of the cabinets have to be covered with a fireproof lining material. (One set of these cabinets is 24" the other 27" which would be code for an electric cooktop).

• caryscott
    12 years ago

I'm still considering my options but these two both seem to be able to be placed in a standard cabinet. Air King only moves 300 CFM and capture will be reduced without the canopy but I can only do an electric stove and my current hood only moves 220cfm so it seems like it should be OK. Broan has a hire cfm version but I'm not sure it will fit in a standard upper. Costco used to have one from Ancona but it hasn't been on the website for a while.

Air King:

Broan:

• ideagirl2
    12 years ago

Those are COOL! The vintage fans, I mean. Does anyone know where to get one? Are they safe, do they need to be rewired? Any idea if some brands are quieter than others?

• pharaoh
    12 years ago

Don't know if it is up to code (it should be) but in rest of the world the stove top is placed in front of a window. Open the window while cooking! To help when frying, people add a small exhaust fan.
    Done!!

• colin3
    12 years ago

Plenty of retro-looking hoods out there e.g. http://www.handcraftedmetal.com/gallery/hoodsZinc/index.html

It really depends on how you cook. If you're doing wok cooking, or deep frying, or searing meat, or anything with serious smoke or fumes, there's no substitute for a canopy to catch effluent ... plus a more serious fan than those cute nutones.

To put it another way, will your old-fashioned house have an old-fashioned plan, with the kitchen way at the back of the house, separated from the living area by a door that you keep shut? There was a reason for that -- old-fashioned kitchens were stinky.

• live_wire_oak
    12 years ago

Kitchen range ventilation is required to have some way of capturing grease and disposing of it. Kitchen grease passed into ductwork from an unfiltered fan is a BIG fire hazard. The traditional removable and cleanable aluminum mesh grates perform that function in most traditional range vents. The cool looking retro fans cannot be placed directly above a range or cooktop as the primary ventilation unless they contain some type of filtration system and have at least a 100 CFM fan. They can be added as a secondary ventilation source elsewhere in the kitchen as a new installation in a modern home. If they exist aleady in an older home, they cannot be replaced but are grandfathered until they break or you have to remove to do a remodel. They cannot be reinstalled after a remodel.

• dainaadele
    12 years ago

Around here (Nebraska) there are new kitchens being installed without any venting at all. Most codes like that vary from state to state or even municipality. I would think that lack of any requirement means that if someone wanted to put a fan in their kitchen, they could. And since nothing at all is acceptable, why does a small fan hurt, even if the CFM is not up to the standard used in common range vents? It would be better than just open windows. I would think the goal should really be be to find a simple fan that has a filter of some sort on it.

• palimpsest
    12 years ago

Nothing is required, but it is against manufacturer's specs to install these fans directly over a range anymore, because of the lack of grease capture. If you are installing a fan there are codes related to it--thats not the same as not requiring it.

There is currently International Building Code which is supposed to supplant local codes.

Here is a link that might be useful: Laurelhurst Fans mounting locations

• colin3
    12 years ago

The grease fire isn't going to consult the local code before it decides to start.

Codes (and enforcement) vary widely. In some places they're more stringent than is sensible; in other places you're pretty much on your own. It's better to ask what is good practice than what you can get away with.

Since complaints about the visual presence of hoods are routine on this board, there's something to be said for looking at what restaurants do: http://www.novaserviceinc.com/ -- huge hoods, fire-suppression systems, regular cleanings. Yes, they get more use. But standard kitchen hoods are *already* a compromise between safety and aesthetics.

• davidro1
    12 years ago

one can buy an inline blower.
    Then, one can custom build any capture catchment basin thingie.

This capture thingie can be non-visible.
    This is instead of a "power pack", "vent pack" or "insert".
    Having the blower be remote, you get less noise and more space.

Hth

• live_wire_oak
    12 years ago

There are some local codes that allow an operable kitchen window of XXX size within XXX feet to serve as the required kitchen ventilation. There is no location that doesn't require some form of ventilation, even if an open window is that vent. However, that doesn't cover grease ocapture and odor elimination. Anyone who's ever burned popcorn knows that even several open windows doesn't get rid of odors very well. At almost 100 degrees today, I certainly wouldn't want to rely on an open window to get rid of any steam I was producing on the stovetop! People in cold climates probably feel even stronger about an open window in January. You don't have to be a big deep fryer to have to deal with oil effluent either. Just steaming vegetables allows small amounts of their oils to be aerosolized and float around your home sticking to your soft surfaces and walls.

National building codes have been adopted by most states, even where there isn't local enforcement. Some local municipalities have even stricter local requirements, but most states have adopted IRC. Just because there isn't someone local enforcing the letter of all the codes doesn't mean that you don't have codes. You do. You just don't have a codes inspector. And, codes are just the minimum required to make sure you have a safe and healthy home. Most people building a new custom home prefer to build above code. That's part of the custom label. It can actually be better than the minimum required builder grade tract home.

I can't think of one single good reason to short change a new kitchen by installing inadequate or non existant ventilation. It would be like designing a kitchen without a cooktop. Even if you don't cook and will never use a cooktop, it'd be absolutely disastrous when it came time to move on from the house. More and more people are concerning themselves with indoor air quality----for good reason. Newer homes are so tight that there have been many cases of illness reported because the home didn't have adequate air exchage and ways to exhaust bad air.

• palimpsest
    12 years ago

I know you said you don't want to spend $5K on a hood, but if you want an island cooktop with ventilation, you could consider the Futuro Skylight which is designed for ceiling or soffit mounting. Since it is far from the cooktop (60") it is 54" wide to increase possibility of capture.

{{!gwi}}

Its not $5K, but its $3400 with another $500 for additional silencing and remote blower.

Here is a link that might be useful: Futuro Skylight.

• plllog
    12 years ago

There were canopies in old fashioned kitchens too. You might know them as chimneys! And having the chimneys swept regularly was an important fire safety measure. I think a fan without grease capture is probably more dangerous than no fan at all because of the grease buildup. It certainly has a big ick factor.

You can make the canopy out of anything you like, and make it as old fashioned looking as you like, and still make it functional.

• colin3
    12 years ago

Check it out.

Here is a link that might be useful: medieval hood

• Circus Peanut
    12 years ago

From your description, it sounds like you're building a place in 1920's/1930's style?

The Laurelhurst and Nu-Tone chrome fans are dreamy for style but lousy for safety, as pointed out above. They won't pass your inspection process, alas.

I too dislike factory range hoods and really don't care for any undercabinet styles, especially the invisible ones (who wants to cook with their forehead against a cabinet door?). We messed around and ultimately built a big plywood capture area (aka hood), used a high-power vent insert, and tiled the bajeezus out of it. We think it goes well with our 1921 kitchen, push-button switches & all. If you put your range on a wall this might be an acceptable 'period' option for you?

Not the best photo, but here 'tis:

• annachosaknj6b
    12 years ago

Get a hood. Find something you like. As someone who has had no real ventilation in the kitchen for the last 15 years, I cannot tell you how excited I am to be getting a real ventilation system. Everything in my kitchen and even the surrounding rooms always had grease and grime and I. could. not. stand. it. Don't let this happen to the beautiful new kitchen you're planning!

• oldhousegal
    12 years ago

The Laurelhurst Fan Company makes some beautiful fans, that are very well built and quiet. I asked them about the local codes to install these period appropriate fans in my old house, and was told that since I don't cook greasy foods, meats, etc. that the code wouldn't be an issue. My concern however, is the resale value of not having a true exhaust fan, since that is what most people would want.

I'm still trying to make a decision between the Vent-a-Hood Excalibur collection hood and something like circuspeanut's gorgeous hood. Either will look period appropriate and appeal to the masses (and inspectors).

One thing of note with my remodel: I pulled out the 1953 model stove that never saw ventilation aside from 2 windows behind it. While installing the new drywall while trying to preserve the ceiling, I discovered nearly a 1/16 inch of grease on the ceiling! Yuk! I tried to clean it off and now my ceiling has marks all over it. So, yeah, definitely getting an exhaust system now!

• harbormom
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Wow, lots of things to think about. We are building in an area that we will have to deal with the building code police, so that will be an issue. The cool Nutone chrome fan is not manufactured anymore :-( I hadn't come across Laurelhurst before - awesome stuff - maybe we can use their fans elsewhere in the house. Their specs say specifically not for kitchen, so the inspector would catch that - otherwise I'd go for it in a second.
    I think the cook top will end up on the outside wall rather than island. The fan in front of the window is too modern, so I may have to give up window space and still do a hood, oooh and a taller back splash $$$. I love the futuro sky light, but $4k? Yikes. Tempting, though - wonder if it works on 10' ceilings. Wonder if there are other in-ceiling exhaust fans?

• harbormom
    Original Author
    12 years ago

DH just had an interesting idea: purchase an ugly through-wall fan from nutone (or whoever), then purchase a beautiful grill from Laurelhust. Just might work. I did find a Nutone that moves 350 CF - could even do two of them. IDK

Anyone have a guestimate on those barrel/bell style metal hoods? Like this: http://www.restorationtradesdirectory.com/portfolio/5679/custom_steel_kitchen_range_hood_2.html

OK, pick yourself up from laughing, I'm sure I'm way over budget. And still - really don't like looking at or listening to hoods.

• plllog
    12 years ago

So... the Nu-Tone fan is just for decor? Because a modern hood is a heck of a lot quieter!!

• aliris19
    12 years ago

Colin: love it. I shoulda done that!!!

• lee676
    12 years ago

Gaggenau VL 051 telescoping vent is a one-of-a-kind solution great for island installations if you don't want an overhead hood blocking the view. Much better than the common telescoping downdraft things that mount behind the cooktop or stove, which barely reach the front burners. This one can be raised and rotated above your cookware when needed; when you're done. When done cooking, rotate the control knob and it will automatically straighten out and retract into the countertop, where it's only a few inches wide. Works best with a two-burner cooktop on each side (as shown here), or with a small cooktop on one side (up to 24"w) and a grill on the other. Don't see it on Gaggenau's website - I hope it hasn't been discontinued - but if so there should still be some in the retail pipeline.

• tinker_2006
    12 years ago

harbormom, I received a price quote on one of those hoods a while back.. gulp, it was over $7000!

I too have an old new/old (1937) house, and trying to maintain the feel of an older home, but also need to think about the function and whatnot. I'm doing a simple wood cabinet hood with an insert.. surely not authentic to the age of the house, but I think it will still be okay!

Here is the one I think I'll be doing

From Drop Box

others I like

From Drop Box
    From Drop Box
    From Drop Box

• annachosaknj6b
    12 years ago

Mine is being made by ModernAire (they are great to deal with, Pat Hartman in particular--big company quality with a small company service mentality). It will look sort of like this, only in black and wider:

{{gwi:1427515}}

The base price for a non-stainless steel 48" wide was somewhere in the neighborhood of $2K. It's when you start adding higher CFMs and bands and pot rails that you get into the $5K neighborhood.

• harbormom
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I love this forum! You all are internet scourers - just like me! Cannot find the Gaggeneau telescope anywhere :(
    Tinker - LOVE those kitchens and your #1 pick. Our cooktop will either be on a window wall or on the island so the cabinetry look just doesn't seem right.

Anna - I could definitely live with your hood by Modernaire, especially at those prices. I like the powder coat with some metal trim. Is yours a 36"? We've already purchased a 36" induction cooktop - so our hood doesn't need to be enormous. Do you mind listing what you paid?

• annachosaknj6b
    12 years ago

Harbormom, click on my username and send me an email through the forum.

• dekeoboe
    12 years ago

I will not be responsible if more than one of you want the Gaggeneau. Go here http://www.greendemolitions.com/applianceshdale.html

• harbormom
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I would grab the gaggeneau, but I'm not ready to commit. If I got it, I'd have to put in horizontally across the back of my cooktop on the island to be more centered. Just seems kind of weird....

LOVE the Green Demolition site - thank you!

• palimpsest
    12 years ago

I would be afraid to buy something that is already off the market.

• harbormom
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Any creative ideas, like taking a plain island hood - then doing a custom shell around it? IDK, maybe something like antique iron gates. I guess you could wrap a hood in just about anything. Straight lines would be easier, but oh those curves.....love the barrel shape for an old fashioned house.

Just got off craig's list. TONS of steals on wall mount hoods - no island mount deals at all.

Guess I could go down to the local feed store and get one of those galvanized tubs, cut a hole in the bottom and hang it over a modern hood.....just kidding ;-)

• palimpsest
    12 years ago

The pictures I showed, the mantel/cabinet hoods that Iinker showed use the guts that caryscott showed to make a hood look like anything or nothing at all. if you want a barrel shape you could use the insert and make a hood out of curved drywall or bendy board to create a barrel as long as the inside was lined with fireproof material (they make SS insert liners for this) and was high enough to meet code for distance to flammable materials. You don't need to buy an entire hood and cover it.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    12 years ago

Yes, it's easy enough to buy a liner/insert and make whatever you like.

• harbormom
    Original Author
    12 years ago

OK, I think I may have a good even great idea. To explain, I need to post pics. I understand how to post my own pics in shutterfly (or something), but how do I grab a pic off a website and post? Thanks :-)

• plllog
    12 years ago

Check the Read Me thread for full directions. Use HTML to Embed pictures in threads.

• davidro1
    12 years ago

harbormom i'm glad you are developing your own original ideas. Let me be one of the first to congratulate you. Congratulations.

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    12 years ago

I made my own hood using a 390cfm Broan cabinet-insert blower. The cost was about $300, not including pipes and vent cap, but I already had a container to use for the housing.

I've also seen an old copper boiler used for the housing--small capture area, but very unique. The possibilities are endless!

You can scroll backwards for the process:

Here is a link that might be useful:

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    12 years ago

Even though you seem to be joking about the wash tub, I found the copper boiler hood pic (originally found on HGTV Rate My Space).

That's thinking outside the box!

Here is a link that might be useful: {{!gwi}}

• harbormom
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Wow - the wash tub totally works like that! Not so much in my new house, but totally awesome in the right space.

Here's where my thoughts are going with this. We are going to have a masonry heater (big fireplace with built in oven above). It will be in the middle of the kitchen, DR & LV - so easy access. It will have a stove pipe going out the top. This pipe can be chrome, black, copper, etc. So, I'm just thinking of whatever metal we decide to go with, we could make one like the Franke chimney hood, http://www.frankeksd.com/productdetail.php?prodid=389&node=16&group=111&lvl=2 or go with the Franke and cover it. Or cover something!

I think it's the SS that is too modern for a vintage kitchen.

• harbormom
    Original Author
    12 years ago

mama goose - loving those links. Wow, people are creative. I tend to get creative when someone wants $10k for something that is $1k in parts. I get labor, but geesh.

DH - just walked in and said, "You're building your dream home, just get a beautiful hood." Ummmmm, if I do I may not be able to get the beautiful cabinets. Something's gotta give. :) Can't have it all.

• Katie S
    12 years ago

My husband made the coolest vent ever. He used an externally mounted 900 cfm kitchen aid blower and hard piped it from the outside about 6 feet to the back of the range. That pipe ends in a filtered stainless vent centered in the backsplash above the cooktop and below the passthrough window to our dining room. It is very very powerful and quiet and unobtrusive. Passed inspection too. Beautiful.

• harbormom
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Skatiero,
    Do you have pics. I think I'm picturing what you are talking about, but not sure. Is your range on an outside wall?

I would love to stick a fan in the ceiling (like Futuro minus the price) and just have a pretty grill over it. Most of the fans are rated to be placed 3' above a range. My husband is constantly knocking his head on the corner and this seems too low for an island hood.

I wonder what code is?

• davidro1
    12 years ago

I've considered building a glass sneezeguard type hood catchment capture hood thing.

Sneezeguard is the term I use to mean that it's between the food and your sneezing mouth. That would be about 20" above the 36" countertop. Since it's transparent, you can still cook. It might be retractable.

On Saturday afternoon Palimpsest posted images of the same thing, only the sneeze guard is invisible. You get the picture. Go look at his post again, once a day for many days, and you will begin to see the invisible glass sneeze guard under the straight run of wall cabinets.

Your question about code and fireproofing was answered in Palimpsest's post as well. But, before you take that for a final and definitive answer, go post the question in the remodeling or HVAC forum where other people hang out.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths