Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marjoriest

Help with granite for cream cabinets

marjoriest
13 years ago

I could really use your help coming up with a list of possible granites for our new kitchen. So many of the light kitchens have really light counters or almost black. What are the alternatives? We will have Diamond Toasted almond cabinets. They will be a cream color similar to SW Dover white with a light glaze. We considered going with a whiter kitchen, but with three kids and a huge fluffy dog we went with something that would not show every finger or paw print. Our floors with be red oak, stain TBD based on granite. That is the problem. I really like the look of soapstone, but that is really not in the budget. DH would like a rich brown with movement rather than speckles. We have gold, deep gray blue, and rusty red in the adjacent living room and dark chestnut/walnut furniture. Style, traditional/French country un peu rustique. Thanks!

Comments (10)

• marjoriest
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, Boxerpups. DH and I spent several hours last weekend reading all the past threads (including the wonderful one you linked to :-) and he said he really wants to go with a darker brown, hopefully with movement. Maybe something like the narrow galley you showed. Hmm. dark and rich... but in our budget.

• boxerpups
    13 years ago

Oh let me show you these then. I did not realize you
    were looking for a darker brown. The above (All but Marble)
    are actually just a $70sq foot price. Of course this
    depends on the slabs and where you are in the US.
    Look for Tropic Brown, Antico brown, Deer Brown, Baltic
    brown or Coffee Brown. these do not have as much movement
    but they have the browns you are looking for and they are
    the same price as Ubatuba or your Peacock green granite.
    The ones below may be a bit more with the exotic movement.
    Here are some browns that you may find your DH likes too.
    Good luck on your slab search.

~boxer

Lapidus

Solarius

Mascarello

Juparana Rustica

Vyara

Golden Persia

• Lil B
    13 years ago

I started out loving soapstone also, but wanted a brown colored granite. I ended up with Chocolate Brown in a Leather finish. We fell in love with the finish, and we didn't want a harsh glare from lighting to reflect on the granite.
    Other granites that we looked at and liked were: Chocolate Pearl, Bronzite, Coffee Brown, Brown Antique, and, Cabernet. Bronzite had lots of movement, but seems it was more expensive.

Here's a pic of one of our slabs in Chocolate Brown Leather.

I have a pic of a Coffee Brown slab from our granite yard visit. It looks very similiar in the pic.

• marjoriest
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Wow! What fabulous ideas. Thanks to both of you for the pictures and input. Any of those would fit the bill. I am going to go out to the stone yard again this week with DH this time. Now I have a great list. Merci!

• ejbrymom
    13 years ago

I have Venetian Gold in my kitchen it has - gold, grey, flecks of burgundy, white, cream, brown, black in it.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• emptynesterof2
    11 years ago

I'm looking for a pretty granite that would go with Warm Chestnut Knotty Alder Cabinets. I would like something that is more open grain but would take any suggestions. Something in the warm tones I am getting close to my cabinets being done and everything I find is sold or discontinued. Please Help! This was suppose to be fun!

• kgolby
    11 years ago

This is what we chose to go with our ivory colored cabinets. It's called Bordeaux River.

• Sarina
    11 years ago

Does the granite you chose stain easy? Its beautiful .

• vcperejda
    7 years ago

would love to see your finished picture installed!! Gorgeous!