Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chloe203

mixing quartz and granite counters

chloe203
15 years ago

I have granite perimeter counters and my island counter is tile. My cooktop is in my island. I want to replace the tile.

I'm finding that most of the granite patterns compete with the granite I have other than absolute black which I don't want.

I'm thinking about using one of the plain quartz counters. I'm wondering if the quartz will look cheap next to the granite. Has anyone done this and been happy with the result?

I spent all last night looking through the FKB for examples and didn't find any.

Comments (14)

• mlraff53
    15 years ago

What granite do you have? I think you can get the simple quartz (no patterns or specks) and that would be ok.

• brutuses
    15 years ago

Quartz can never look cheap IMO. What color is your granite? Does it have more than one color running through it? What color are your cabinets island?

• chloe203
    Original Author
    15 years ago

My granite is Azul quantico.
    I thought I could link to my kitchen over on decorating, but it seems to have dropped off. So I'll post it again here.

• muscat
    15 years ago

I dont think quartz would look cheap, but I think the fact that it is an imitation of a natural substance would be accentuated if you have granite and quartz in the same room.

Can you post pics? What is the feel of the room? What about SS?

• remodelfla
    15 years ago

Since your appliances are black and your granite (at least on my monitor) looks blue/grey/white/speckled black; I second the vote for soapstone.

• stonegirl
    15 years ago

What about an antique finished Cambrian Black? It has an intriguing crystal structure, the antique finish is satiny in stead of glossy, the stone does not need to be enhanced, since the antique finish is a dark charcoal-y color and it will give a nice contrast between color and texture, while giving you a very easy to care for surface around our cook top. The Cambrian Black is dense as all get-out and will need no sealing.

• astridh
    15 years ago

I don't think quartz looks cheap, and I think your idea could work out very nicely. I think you just need to find the right "plain" quartz color. I can't really see the color of your granite well, but maybe the Raven color? There are some very nice shades that could work out very well. You can get a honed finish, if you like.

• chloe203
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The main colors in my granite are blue/grey , black and tan.
    I went to some granite places this morning and it seems that whatever I use, I'll need to find something left over from another job unless I want to pay for the whole slab. This may take awhile because it seems most of what is left over is very busy.
    I saw a full slab of honed black Brazil Andes and it was gorgeous. I wish I could start over with that :):)

• astridh
    15 years ago

I have Caesarstone counters in my kids' bathroom in Desert Limestone. Jerusalem Sand is nice, too. Those are both tan/beige colors that might work well for you. I think I have seen pictures on them on the forum.

• chloe203
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I have noticed all the caesarstone counters here and they look really nice. I've checked and it is not sold in my state.
    Is it any different than the other quartz products?

• astridh
    15 years ago

There are many different companies that sell quartz countertops, including Zodiac, Silestone, Cambria, Caesarstone, and others. I have not been convinced that there are big differences between them.

• bluekitobsessed
    15 years ago

If it were my kitchen (and it is beautiful, BTW) I would go for a dark but not absolut black granite, avoiding the speckles. In particular I'm thinking of either the black/gray with light veins (soapstone-ish) or the black with iridescent blue sparkles -- don't remember any names, sorry. You have some black already so it would fit in. I fear that using an artificial speckled material near a speckled granite would look off together -- the natural speckled granite would look like a factory goof and/or the artificial material would look plastic. I'm not that familiar with specific unspeckled quartz countertops.

• chloe203
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I was thinking if I went quartz, I would go with a solid one. They have some that almost look like concrete counters. I agree the speckled would not work. But I was worried that because there is granite in the room, the quartz just wouldn't look good by comparison. I was hoping someone had done this and could tell me if it worked.

• zobeet
    15 years ago

In this case I don't think there's a clearcut right or wrong answer. I'd get a largish sample of quartz and see how you like it up close and personal with your granite.

What about large soapstone tiles? They'd be cheaper than a slab, but natural and minimally patterned. Or maybe rectified tile, or another 'stone look' ceramic tile?