Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cotehele_gw

Clarion Farmhouse Sink

cotehele
14 years ago

I am considering a Clarion Farmhouse sink in the Bakery/Pantry. There has been some discussion about these, but has anyone actually purchased one? How did you finish under the sink? Legs? Cabinet? Skirt?

Thanks!

Judy

Here is a link that might be useful: Clarion Farmhouse Sink

Comments (9)

• latimore
    14 years ago

I just came across this sink in my search as well. Seems very appropriate for my old farmhouse. Did you learn more about it, or decide to use it?

I was thinking it would look nice placed on top of a cabinet - the legs look a little spindly to me given the width of the sink, plus the storage underneath that a cabinet would allow would be a plus.

I also found some online retailers that sell vintage sinks like this, and an article that suggested that an eBay/ Craig's List find could be refinished. My project isn't immediate, so I may keep my eyes open.

• cotehele
    Original Author
    14 years ago

latimore,

The Clarion Farmhouse sink has a vintage/period appearance that mimics the sink in this 1920s kitchen. (Link to my other thread.) My house is older, 1892, but houses of this age often have additions. The bakery reads as an addition between the house and a new garage, so I think it will work. I am using a Chicago faucet with pre-rinse spray. The sink will not ordered until it can be installed. It is heavy and large to move more than once.

For the present, the sink will be only mounted on the wall brackets. The legs can be added later, and do not need to be the legs offered by Clarion. A cabinet looks very nice underneath. Arlosmom has this in her kitchen. The sink is original to her house. Maybe she will see this and post a link to her kitchen. I don't want to post her pics.

I am skittish about e-bay purchases as I cannot afford to make any mistakes. Best wishes on your kitchen and planning. Let us know how things are progressing.

Here is a link that might be useful: Scroll down to see the picture

• plllog
    14 years ago

I haven't used it but would have if I could have, so I'm shamelessly bumping this to the top, even though I don't have a lot to add.

I think for the open, unfitted look you want, legs would be great, and spindly are authentic. :) OTOH, a finished cabinet is always lovely, especially if it follows the curves of the sink. My cabinetmaker is curving the legs of my laundry sink stand to suit his sensibilities--I wouldn't have asked for the laundry room!! But it would be great with the Clarion.

• cotehele
    Original Author
    14 years ago

My sink came today, yippee! It is gorgeous and it looks vintage!! The plumber boxed it up again, so I didn't get pictures, drat.

• mom2lilenj
    14 years ago

If you need the storage you could go with a cabinet and get the cabient maker to curve the corners. My cabient maker is doing that for my antique sink. But I'm finding with my freestanding butcher block it's nice to have some free floor space that no one will trip over, things like my compost bin waiting for my one of my DD's to take outside, a box of soda cans waiting for the cookout we are planning for the weekend, etc.

• judydel
    14 years ago

I love having the open area under my Kohler Harborview sink. Right now there is a Longaberger Basket underneath the sink with potatoes in it and also the compost bucket. But I'm sure as time goes by the area will be used for many things.

• cotehele
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Mom-curved corners are very nice. Arlosmom's vintage sink has curved corners. The sink and cab are so beautiful and unique.

The sink has legs for now. If budget was no impediment, a dishwasher drawer would be nice. A small pull out cart might be handy, too. I love baskets, Judy. Our compost bucket is at the prep sink rather than in the bakery/pantry.

• arlosmom
    14 years ago

Hello! Just checking in with gardenweb and found this posting. My sink cabinet was a bit of a coordinated effort. Our cabinet maker made the basic cabient, but my husband made and added the curved sides (lots of back-and-forth planning conversations with the cabinet maker in advance). DH also added the little "swoop" section in the middle of the open center -- this was a part of the original falling-apart sink cabinet that DH salvaged and re-habbed. I'm so pleased that someone is making similar sinks new. They just add so much to a vintage inspired kitchen! I can't wait to see pictures of all of yours.

• cotehele
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Your sink must have been the template for mine, it looks so similar. I love your faucet, but didn't think I could live without a spray. So, I have a Chicago faucet with spray hose attached. It is not nearly as elegant is yours. Wonder if I could switch out the handles for nicer ones. Do you like the shelf above the sink? It would be handy and nice looking at the same time. The bakery will have subway tile about 68'' high with a little wood trim/shelf at the top.