Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amharris

Backsplash and Paint ideas?

Anne Harris
10 years ago

I need your input!

We are partially through a kitchen renovation in a second home that ultimately will be where we retire. The house is a mid-century contemporary home, and I want the kitchen to have a contemporary feel (but not ultra modern and sterile). White cabinets just didn�t feel right in this space, so I used IKEA ADEL beech cabinets, and topped them with Caesarstone Dreamy Marfil. In the island, the drawers are stainless steel (I just wanted to mix it up a little). Pictures below show the current state of the kitchen. Haven't put in all the lights yet or refinished the floors.

{{gwi:1862766}}

View from the other end of the kitchen. Bought a couple of chairs for that end.

And--a close up of the counter. It's subtle, but there are some coppery vein as well as some gray ones.
{{gwi:1898869}}

My current challenges are backsplash and paint.

Backsplash. In my mind's eye I was seeing kind of a gray green glass subway tile before I started shopping for/obsessing about tiles. The backsplash is fairly small, so I could do something with more "bling" -- a mosaic or something. I do love the look of glass tile in this space. I think it works with the contemporary vibe I'm looking for.

Here's the basic glass subway tile (the color is "dune" from the Tile Shop):

{{gwi:1898870}}

Here is a stileto style tile with glossy and matte tiles in a similar (a little more green) color (Artistic tile-Ovation).
{{gwi:1898871}}

And here are the mosaics. The first (sugar cone) has been discontinued since I first found it. I like that it had warm and cool tones in it. I was afraid it would be too busy, but others who saw it didn't think so. Of course, this one's a no go at this point, but thought I'd include it for reference.
{{gwi:1898873}}

A couple of other mosaics:

Tara Sand

{{gwi:1898875}}

Breckenridge mosaic from The Tile Shop
{{gwi:1898877}}

Questions. Do you like any of them? Do you look at this and immediately think of something different that would look fabulous? This project is challenging because I only get to the house every 2 mos, so I want to make sure I have all of the samples that look promising with me when I go back in July.

Paint. I've read about Ellen Kennon paints on GW and got intrigued. Ordered the deck of colors and took them out to the house the last time I was there. I need a pretty neutral color because the kitchen space is open to the next rooms so the color will carry there. I know paint will be influenced by the backsplash and other materials, but was wondering if anyone has used Perret Ivory (it seems to have a bit of green in it. At least that's how it look when I taped it on the wall.
{{gwi:1898879}}

Thanks for suffering through this long post. I'd really appreciate any/all feedback!

Comments (11)

• vanessan
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I’ve just the forum to find some answers myself but the first thread I’ve read is your and I can relate because 2 weeks ago I was in the same situation. I found this blog post very helpful, I don’t know if that is what you looking for but give it a try.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tips for a kitchen backsplash

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

How about a stainless tile? When I was looking at bs possibilities the other day I saw some very neat stainless mosaics. It was way too contemporary for my kitchen but they were really terrific and would look smashing in your space.

• Anne Harris
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Vanessa--thanks for the link to the article. I want the backsplash to meet those criteria!

Holly-kay-- I had looked at some mosaics that had stainless in them--were you thinking all stainless or something with stainless in it?

I love hearing from you guys!

• Anne Harris
    Original Author
    10 years ago

What about this one?
    {{gwi:1898880}}

• williamsem
    10 years ago

Stainless could be really nice, and reflect a lot of light back into the space as your vision worsens.

Maybe something like this?

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

I love that Williamsem! My favorite stainless bs material is the argyle pattern but that herringbone is awesome. The one mosaic that I saw was made up of small ss ovals, it was very cool looking and contemporary.

I love your kitchen Anne! It is so sleek and neat looking. I think stainless would look so great in your space and the lovely herringbone really throws back a lot of light. I have also seen a pattern that was a combo of glossy and matte stainless tiles that was gorgeous.

I like the glass mosaic too but really think the stainless would be smashing!

I can't wait to see pics when it is finished!

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    10 years ago

Love that paint color, such a warm but neutral color that so many things will go with.

I agree that the stainless steel tiles would be awesome, echoing but not identical to your island.

I also really like the stiletto glass. Yours is one of the few ktichens that I think that style would be really at home.

Is your eye more drawn to the mosaics, though? I am sure that I have seen some very similar to 'sugar cone' and I do like that it brings in some other colors, subtle shades of blue/gray/tan/cream; that would play nicely with the paint you show above. I like the overall modern look but for myself would probably be wanting a bit more color after a while.

I guess my choice would be a shape like the stiletto in a multicolor mix like 'sugar cone'

Here is another play on a metallic look:
    Jeffrey Court tiles

Please be sure to show us the finished kitchen!

• Anne Harris
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you all for the ideas. I hadn't thought of doing an all-stainless backsplash. I guess I was afraid I needed something that tied together the cool stainless drawers in the island and the warmth of the wood cabinets. The counters are also are a creamier tone (the Caeasarstone London Gray is whiter).

Raee--you asked about whether my eye is drawn more to mosaics. Actually I wasn't initially--I was thinking of something more linear (like the stileto pattern or subway). Mosaics are so popular now, as I started looking at options, I saw tons of mosaics (and of course it's easier to mix tones with a mosaic. I tried to find that Jeffrey court pattern you included online--but couldn't seem to find it. Do you know what it's called?

Williamsem-thanks for the idea about the herringbone pattern. That's very pretty!

Thanks again for the ideas--would love to hear more! I am loading up my sample bag for the trip out in July!

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    10 years ago

here is the link

Here is a link that might be useful: Jeffrey court chapter 1 suite glass

• Anne Harris
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks raee!

• sail_away
    10 years ago

Of your initial choices, I liked the stiletto---closely followed by the 1st subway. I can't really tell on my monitor whether the color of one of them would look better than the other. I also liked the later suggestions of metallic/SS backsplash.

I think I'm more partial to the linear tiles, especially the horizontal lines. I think that's why my initial choice was the stiletto--the vertical lines seemed to mimic the lines of your cabinetry with the drawers of different heights.

You have a lovely kitchen, and I imagine your choice of backsplash will be a winner, as well. I look forward to seeing what you ultimately put in.