Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
donaleen

My kitchen is one year old

Donaleen Kohn
9 years ago

Last year we completed our kitchen. It was pretty much DYI and we worked on it for years as time and money allowed.

I am very happy with it. It is pretty and it functions well for both of us. The one thing I am less than happy with is the faucet. I thought choosing a faucet was really difficult because there was nowhere to try them. We got a Hansgrohe 06461860 Allegro E SemiArc. It splashes and the sprayer isn't very fine. At least it is fairly easy to replace (unlike many other things).

We did this kitchen totally to please ourselves with no thought to resale. We didn't put in a dishwasher or a garbage disposal and haven't missed them at all.

I hope everyone else is as happy with their kitchen as we are with ours.

And whatever happened to Marcolo? Did he despair and give up?

Here is a link that might be useful: our kitchen project

This post was edited by donaleen on Tue, Jun 17, 14 at 15:54

Comments (13)

• ChristyMcK
    9 years ago

Your kitchen is lovely and from a similar period / style as our own (house built in 1939). We are redoing our kitchen cabinets and have removed all of our cabinets and just finished sanding them. The picture is a before photo. It's great to see a lovely, vintage-styled finished kitchen and to hear that it is functioning so well for you.

Though we use our dw daily and will definitely keep it, I agree that optimizing the functioning of a kitchen for one's own use usually makes the most sense. So good for your for getting rid of your DW!

• annkh_nd
    9 years ago

Happy birthday to your kitchen, Donaleen! I'm glad it is living up to your expectations. I feel the same way about mine, after 10 months.

I closed off a corner just like you, with drawers on each side. We use those drawers ever day. The lazy susan that was in the corner was a huge thorn in my side.

And I completely agree about diagonal upper cabinets. They were big black holes in my kitchen - it was embarrassing to see how much crap was stuck in the far reaches.

• mgmum
    9 years ago

It looks great! Glad you're still loving it!

• leela4
    9 years ago

Oh, donaleen - I remember your beautiful drawer fronts under your sink. I just love those.

Isn't it fun to be away from the project (our kitchen is almost 4 years old now, but still feels ''new'' to me), and still love it?

I've been wondering off and on about Marcolo as well. I miss his wit . . .

• Donaleen Kohn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks everybody for your kind comments. John, my DH, built the cabinets and they are perfect. He did a good job.

• Bunny
    9 years ago

Hi donaleen! Happy birthday to your kitchen. I'd forgotten who did those amazing doors with the cutout designs. It's the cutest thing I've ever seen + your sweet night lights. Now *that* is a kitchen. I love it. You did good. Please come back from time to time.

• deedles
    9 years ago

Donaleen, I love your kitchen. So warm and homey and charming. Those cut-outs are the best. Did you bake your kitchen a cake?

If you are hanging out here, please watch for my reveal... just give me a couple more weeks to get our old house ready to sell and then I promise I'll get my reveal posted.

• Donaleen Kohn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It really is nice to connect again. Linelle, I think we are kindred spirits. And deedles, I wondered what had happened with your kitchen. Can't wait to see it.

John had the dishwasher installed in the basement with the condition that if it hadn't been used in a year, it was out. So he rushed downstairs and washed all our glass storage bowls to beat the deadline. Too funny.

• romy718
    9 years ago

Great kitchen. It is very warm & inviting. I took a tour of your garden also-just lively & very inspiring.

• User
    9 years ago

Wow, what a great kitchen! Am relatively new to GW so glad you posted, would have hated to miss seeing your kitchen. Love the drawers under the sink and not using corner cabinets. Am going to copy your night light idea. I have more outllets in the BS than I could possibly use. Ashamed to admit while I never had a DW (except briefly in an apartment I rented), I succumbed to putting one in because everyone else has one. I did decline the garbage disposal. Again, great job, beautiful kitchen.

• onedogedie
    9 years ago

Happy Anniversary! Of course I love your kitchen, being another partial inset drawer/cabinet fan. Going on 20 months without a dishwasher, I am eager to see it return, but it is entirely do-able to live without one.

ChristyMck - love your cabinets and happy to see a new, to me, sink cabinet cut out pattern. Is that an exhaust fan over the sink? I've seen such fans in old catalogs, but never with a cover.

• lenzai
    9 years ago

Happy kitchen anniversary. Yours is one of my inspirations for having glass uppers and not worrying about the contents being all matched or just pristine white dishes.