Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nikinikinine_gw

vegetable sink in island - yay or nay?

nikinikinine
11 years ago

We are contemplating adding a vegetable sink to our island (new construction). I like the idea of having the extra sink, enabling the island to become an additional food prep surface that is easily accessible from our stove, etc. but I know many people say it is a waste and goes unused.

This is our kitchen layout with the sink included. Ignore the disparity with some of the cabinets, these are a few iterations of our kitchen plan and while the layout and the size of everything has remained static, we've made some changes in the aesthetics.

The size of our kitchen is 12'1" x 17' the island is 4'4" x 5'10" and we hope to fit three barstools at the counter.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Given the "distance" between the main sink and the stove, the veg sink seems to make sense. But as all things build related go it's an added cost and my husband is only lukewarm on the idea. Thanks in advance for any and all feedback.

Comments (17)

• poohpup
    11 years ago

I totally second everything rhome said. That is the perfect place for a prep sink in your kitchen. I think you'd really regret it if you didn't add one.

• mgmsrk
    11 years ago

I think in the last 8 years my island prep sink was used more than the main sink if you counted on/off cycles of the faucet.

• bellsmom
    11 years ago

Another STRONG vote for a prep sink. I had no idea how much I would like one. When I am cooking a complicated meal, it is absolutely wonderful to have a sink to pile pans in and a clean sink to prep veggies in. I cannot imagine that you will regret putting one in. The island is the perfect place for it. Worth every cent and more.

• clinresga
    11 years ago

One of the few regrets from our huge kitchen redo a few years ago was in choosing to use a small prep sink. We knew we wanted one--it's a big kitchen with a large island and access to the main sink would have been tedious from, say, the range. But following tradition, we used a significantly smaller sink. Now, if I had to do it again, I'd go big--maybe even as big as our primary sink (an Orca). We never doubted wanting two--that was non negotiable.

We're not a huge family, just four, but with two of us often cooking together, it's great to be able to have two completely separate food prep areas. It also allows us to, for example, pile up dirty stuff while prepping in one sink, while keeping the other open for use. Or, use the small sink to thaw frozen meat in water, while keeping the other open, etc etc. I would never want to live without it.

• lavender_lass
    11 years ago

I agree...perfect place for the prep sink. Great location and very functional :)

• beekeeperswife
    11 years ago

I agree with everyone above.

Additional point: If you use that counter on the left for entertaining, then it will be really handy for the bartender to use the prep sink to dump glasses, etc instead of going to the main sink. It's the martini argument....

And yes, don't go too little, you want to prep veggies, dump out pasta water in it, etc.

• momfromthenorth
    11 years ago

One more strong vote for it - we have had one in the exact same location for longer than I care to admit. My kids used it for hand washing before meals when they were little or grabbing a drink of water -- in addition to the prep use. We'll have one again when I redo this kitchen.

• motherof3sons
    11 years ago

Another yes vote - and what a beautiful kitchen rendering! Good luck!

• nikinikinine
    Original Author
    11 years ago

thank you to all who replied! I made my husband read the thread and he's on board with the sink. And we'll heed the advice and put in a larger sink than just a small hand sink also. I appreciate the feedback!

To answer questions above:

Posted by rhome410 (My Page) on Tue, Jun 19, 12 at 14:32
    Will you have a microwave? Ours is to the left of our stove, and I like having the prep sink close to it, too, for adding water to steam veggies or to drain things.

yes, but our microwave will be in our walk in pantry. We don't use it often so we're tucking it away to preserve space in the island for other things. And also, if I'm being honest, it's because we didn't want to pay $$$ for a display microwave that would integrate into our kitchen when it's an appliance that we don't use often.

Posted by beekeeperswife (My Page) on Tue, Jun 19, 12 at 18:48
    Additional point: If you use that counter on the left for entertaining, then it will be really handy for the bartender to use the prep sink to dump glasses, etc instead of going to the main sink. It's the martini argument....

That cabinet to the left will actually look like the first rendering with one solid cabinet unit, but in the hall off our kitchen is a butler's pantry (sans sink) that will definitely benefit from the sink in the island. And the husband and I are martini drinkers, so I'll add that into the pros column for the island sink ;)

One quick question for those of you with a sink in place -- the husband asked me about centering the sink on the island directly behind the range. Thoughts? Perhaps if the sink was larger this may make sense. But I also wonder if it will take the focus off the centerline between our range and the fireplace in the family room?

• poohpup
    11 years ago

I wouldn't center the prep sink. You could put it in the corner (exactly where it is shown on yours plans) or slightly off from the corner if you want a small landing spot on the corner. If it were me, I'd put it in the corner and leave the majority of the island available for prep. You could also mount the faucet in the corner of the sink so it can be used easily from both sides. Or do a round sink. My prep sink is an 18" square (16" interior) and it is a great size. I wouldn't want to go any smaller.

You'll never regret the decision to put a prep sink in your kitchen! Your plan really calls for one.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

I wouldn't center the prep sink, but I would push it away from the edge. It looks to me like that end of the island will be used for off loading from the fridge and it will be a pain to have the sink exactly where you need the space. Also, having counter space on both sides of the sink makes the sink more useful as well.

• Cloud Swift
    11 years ago

Having the sink in the corner also keeps someone using it to wash their hands, prepare a snack, make the salad, etc. more out of the way of the cook.

We have a sink on the corner of the island and put the faucet on the inside corner of the sink rather than on the side. It makes it convenient for someone using it from the side of the island.

• rhome410
    11 years ago

I would encourage you to keep the prep sink on the corner. That's the way we have ours. It's not a big deal to use the space to either side as 'landing space.' Just a step or a bit of a reach more. Having it on the corner makes it accessible to more people and for more uses. We put our faucet on the diagonal, so either side is 'the front.' This also leaves you more island for prep, serving, etc.

we didn't want to pay $$$ for a display microwave that would integrate into our kitchen when it's an appliance that we don't use often.

It's your choice, of course, to locate it where you want based on the way you use the appliance, but I just wanted to let you know it's not necessary to spend lots of money and buy a built-in microwave. We just planned a spot in upper cabinets and bought a countertop model. It's not super fancy, but I don't think it detracts from the kitchen, and it'll only be $200 to replace. (and it's only that much, because it's a large model. Others could be less.) I read here that some people use theirs only for snacks. We use ours rarely for snacks, but I use ours a lot in meal prep... to thaw meat or other frozen food items, melt butter, steam veggies, warm side dishes, start things that finish in the oven, etc., etc. --I'm just saying that as time goes on, you may find uses for it that make it handier to have in the kitchen.

I'm attaching a link to kitchen photos, in case you want to see the corner prep sink or microwave.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pictures of our kitchen

• nikinikinine
    Original Author
    11 years ago

rhome, thanks for the pictures! very helpful.

Thank you all for the feedback, so very appreciated!

• dilly_ny
    11 years ago

"I made my husband read the thread and he's on board..."

That's the great thing about GW, you get unbias opinions and spouses see its not just that your in TKO mode.

I put in a prep sink in an island set up similiar to yours and so far I like it. It is not centered, it is to the left side. I like that it doesn't retract from the range hood focal point and I like that I have plenty of counter space to spread out (centered sink would leave smaller spans of countertop).

Looks like a nice plan. Good luck!

• windycitylindy
    11 years ago

I'll add my vote to the yes column. We have a very similar layout, except our refrigerator is where your wall of cabinetry is. We have a prep sink in the corner of the island like you have shown, and I love it. I will admit that the first couple of weeks we had it, I kind of wondered if it had been worth it. Now that we're more moved back into the kitchen and using it regularly, I find we use it a lot, especially for drinks and hand washing.

Anniedeighnough suggested moving it in, and that was another concern I had about ours when it first went in. It's turned out to not be a problem at all. I can set refrigerator items behind the sink, in the sink, or along the edge, which turns out to be wide enough to support a half gallon of milk without problem. I've found that I actually like having it all the way in the corner because it gives me more prep area, and it means the hand washing/drinks sink is more out of the cooking zone.

I think you and your husband will both love it once it's in. It feels like such luxury to have a second sink!