Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kahlanne_gw

Quick advice needed...paint issues

kahlanne
10 years ago

I am in the process of painting my galley style kitchen's cabinets. The lowers are navy blue and the uppers are butter cream. On one side is the pantry and double oven along with the stove and lower cabinets. My intention was to paint the pantry doors (two wide doors) and the slide-in area around ovens along with the upper cabinets above ovens the navy blue. I worry that the cream on the lower pantry door and drawer below ovens will get dirty too easily. This area just seems more of a connection to the lower cabinets rather than the uppers. Above the cabinets is trim and soffits which I want to cover with beadboard painted to match the upper cabinets to make them appear taller. My issue is with the blue pantry and cabinets above the ovens. The trim and soffits continue above all the cabinets not just the cream ones. Do I rethink painting these cabinets navy? Or do I paint the soffit and trim above navy and the trim and soffit above the others cream? The cream uppers are inset compared to the pantry and ovens as they are the depth of the lower cabinets. Uggh...I realize the cream would be the easier choice but I really can't imagine it on these cabinets.

Comments (3)

• kahlanne
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This kitchen is similar to what I am going for. On the right of the double ovens is a wide pantry with two long doors. Just as in this photo, I wanted mine to be white for inset cabinets and navy for the pantry stove but the photo doesn't show upper area. Mine has a molding at the top of cabinets and then the soffit which I want to cover with beadboard painted to match. Would it look odd to have the soffit painted cream only in above the insets? and have a line where the soffit/beadboard color changes to navy in the corner?

• Bunny
    10 years ago

kahlanne, any chance you can post an image of your actual kitchen. The example you posted looks dandy. It's a beautiful, well-done kitchen and the choices seem correct and intentional. It would also help to see the soffits in your kitchen.

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    10 years ago

We need someone who can photoshop doing it both ways.