Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Walnut cabinets owners - clear coat Q?

Posted by thedork (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 16, 13 at 14:03

Could you please share whether your cabinet maker did something special to the clear coat - UV inhibitor or suggested maybe staining.
I love the natural look of the walnut and I know it will fade a little bit with years but how many years we are talking about?
I am not ready to replace those cabinets in 4-5 years.
Should I spend a little bit more money and stain it?
The cabinets are not exposed to direct sun since I have covered patio near by the kitchen and technically there is very little direct sun.

Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Walnut cabinets owners - clear coat Q?

My walnut floors have already faded, and they have only been in a little over a year. However, most of the kitchen is exposed to light, direct sunlight in the winter months. Our older walnut furniture is a bit lighter than the floor, but I forget how dark it was from the start. I'm pretty clueless about UV inhibitors, but I'd do a UV inhibitor before I would stain it. Oil-based finishes will naturally bring out the amber tones in the wood, making it look more red and orange. Water based finishes don't bring out the oranges and reds, but sometimes leave a bit of a cloudy look behind.

o
RE: Walnut cabinets owners - clear coat Q?

Thank you for your advice! I still have time but wanted to be prepared with questions when I meet the cabinet maker this week.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here