Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
anewbigging_gw

Backsplash Help.

Anewbigging
9 years ago

New to the Forum and looking for some help.
Here is our kitchen ("super white" island concrete quartz counter tops and cc-40 cabinets) We are looking for ideas for the backsplash. Originally we were going with white subway tiles but they make the cabinets look dirty. we dont like glass tiles. Any thoughts?
ps
The cabinets look really creamy (see picture of range hood) and we are trying to downplay that.
Love some help.
Thanks in advance.
Andrew

Comments (21)

• elizabeth714
    9 years ago

find a matching tile. my cabs are offwhite, and a white subway tile made them look dingy. finding an exact match was a perfect solution.

we have a very similar island. mine is called wicked white. and i have honed AB on the perimiter

• Mags438
    9 years ago

Elizabeth, looks like u found a perfect match! Hope to be as lucky!

• elizabeth714
    9 years ago

here's my island

• Anewbigging
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Looks great and is probably the direction we will go.
    Any other suggestions for the backsplash if we wanted to add a little punch to the color palette?
    (my floors are a dark stained oak)

• annac54
    9 years ago

Do you have a favorite color? What other colors are in the rooms adjoining the kitchen (and are they going to stay)? What style are they decorated in? What's your vision for how you want the kitchen to feel?

Answers to these might help us help you a little more. Love that island BTW.

• Catharine442
    9 years ago

I think the best way to downplay the cream is to match the backsplash to it, or, as you said in the above post, use a different color. You don't want a really cool color tho...

• elizabeth714
    9 years ago

my floor is where we added interest, actually.

• Anewbigging
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The floor plan is mainly open and the predominant color is gray. Its a new house and we have no furniture so its basically a blank slate. Its coming together nicely but I'm just stepping back and wondering if its not all a little washed out looking.

• dcward89
    9 years ago

I would SO put a splash of color in that backsplash...but keep in mind I am not a "white kitchen" kinda girl. If you want to stick with the subway maybe consider a pale green.

[Traditional Kitchen[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-kitchen-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_709~s_2107) by Austin General Contractors Redbud Custom Homes

• annac54
    9 years ago

Like the picture dcward posted, I would be putting a green in there, but that's because it's my favorite color and goes with the rest of my house.

There's some very pretty grays out there, as well as taupe tile. If you've got a traditional feel going, use a crackle or handmade looking tile in the standard running bond pattern. For a modern feel, use a high gloss or matte tile and have it installed in a stacked pattern.

Keep looking around for inspiration and you might find something you really like.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fireclay tile colors

• Anewbigging
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is a look in the other direction to give you some idea of the feeling. I'm still thinking some color would be nice.

• Bunny
    9 years ago

Love how your kitchen has come together, esp. that Super White. Yum!!

I have creamy cabs and love them. I hope you embrace the creaminess. My backsplash is creamy crackle subways. They are not an exact match to the cabs, a little darker, so it's more a layered than matched look. I don't regret it.

I'm not bold with color, but I'd have dcward89's pale green backsplash in a heartbeat.

• Anewbigging
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for all the great ideas, I'm going to find one off white and one color subway tile and bring them back to the space and try and make a decision from there.
    I'll post a pic if I pick anything other than the off white subway tiles.
    Thanks

• romy718
    9 years ago

Love the green. I have to laugh, "I'm going to find one off white and one color subway tile and make a decision from there." If only it could be that easy, instead of twenty sample tiles & then still joining the ABB (all but backsplash) club.

• Gracie
    9 years ago

The green tile works with the reddish wood counters but not with your gray. Green has traditionally been paired with cherry. I would use gray for the back splash and chose an accessory color palette that you can use throughout the gray-painted areas.

• Anewbigging
    Original Author
    9 years ago

May.
    Would a marble backsplash of some sort count as gray?
    Would it be too many different materials?
    I like the green in the picture but I'm not feeling it for my space.

• eam44
    9 years ago

What are your perimeter counters? Also, what's your budget in $/sf, and your favorite color (not that you'll use it in the splash, but it gives me an idea of what you like)?

You've made great choices so far. It a beautiful space.

• oldbat2be
    9 years ago

Andrew - please update when your cabinet fronts are on, I'll be glad to photoshop some colored tiles for you. What a great job you've done.

Elizabeth714 - love your floors with your space. Of interest, definitely, while staying with a monochrome theme. I can just picture the shot with orange poppies in a vase on the island.....Love, love, love the effect.

• Anewbigging
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you.
    Perimeter is caesarstone concrete 2003.
    No real budget (although we did rule out doing the backsplash all in caesarstone do to the $1700 price tag)
    Dont have a real favorite color although I am partial to cobalt blue.

• Anewbigging
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ive decided to go with a classic subway tile similar to the one in the earlier post. I'll add pics once complete.
    I didnt LOVE any other options and I figure I can add pops of colour with accessories.
    Thanks for all the help.

• bookworm4321
    9 years ago

i am reposting this picture, as i liked them for black/white kitchen. i wish i remembered whose they are.