Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lynda_baker_gw

Subway tile backsplash -- electrical outlet position?

lynda_baker
14 years ago

I'm doing a subway tile backsplash and am trying to figure out which direction the electrical outlets should go. My first instinct was horizontal to blend in more, but now I'm second guessing myself. Like almost every decision -- argh!

How do you have yours? Do you like it? Picture?

Comments (17)

• ebse
    14 years ago

Would you consider plug moulding? That way you wouldn't have to clutter your backsplash. Otherwise, I think either way could look good. Do you have any pictures?

I totally hear you about second guessing every decision!

• megradek
    14 years ago

all of our outlets lie horizontally, but we also have an outlet with switches for the upper cab lights and under cab lighting which is more square (see outlet on right side of cooktop). I think when it's all done, it blends in and really wouldn't matter. HTH!

• annanna
    14 years ago

3 x 6 glass subway, all of our outlets are horizontal and lowered several inches from where they were. Just as SOON as the darn tile gets installed - should be this week - I can put up a picture!

• palimpsest
    14 years ago

I would do them horizontally, and, ideally, in alignment with the tile. We are doing a project right now where the outlets are 39" above the floor (one full tile above the countertop) This required leaving wiring long and not mounting the boxes until after the tile position was figured out.

The contractor and electrician would rather have placed them wherever, but IMO it is worth the extra effort.

• Circus Peanut
    14 years ago

Horizontal, and moved to fit inside one 3x6 tile and 3" from the counter so that appliances cover them up.

• hogar
    14 years ago

I made mine horizontal as well. Don't have a picture yet..sorry

• buddyrose
    14 years ago

I did vertical. it just didn't matter to me and now that it's done, it still doesn't matter. I did put the outlets lower towards the counter so toaster, coffee maker would cover them but when they're uncovered, they look fine to me.

• dinkledoodle
    14 years ago

Horizontal is perfect.

And stop second guessing yourself. Stop it! Stop it! There! Did that help? ~:o)

• kulagal
    14 years ago

Horizontal!

• thrilledtoremodel
    14 years ago

Anyone else- more pics?? great thread! small details count :)

I am very tempted by the 'lower 'em down' idea- but one electrician said it would look weird if my switch/outlets (i have one on either side of the sink for garbage disposal/light over sink/and one switch will be for under-cab lighting) were at normal levels.

So picture one wall of the 'L' (with range/MW) having 'lowered', ie closer to countertop, horizontal outlets in a white subway tile, then on the other wall of the 'L', there's be 'normal' position outlet/switches on either side of sink...

• sandimccarron
    14 years ago

mairin,

I like your tile. What brand, name and color is it? Thanks

• palimpsest
    14 years ago

We lowered the switches correspondingly on one project and raised them on another so they were hidden by the light rail in another. Just food for thought

• friedajune
    14 years ago

I have horizontal outlets. It was actually my electrician who suggested they be installed horizontally--he said they look better that way. Also, my electrician said that local Code specified they be a minimum of 4" from the center of the outlet to the countertop, although I understand Code varies by region on this issue. I find the height excellent since it is unobtrusive, I can easily hide the receptacles behind the paper towel holder, coffee maker, etc., but not be nervous they are so close to the counter (though the ones on the sink side of my kitchen are all GFCI so I guess that shouldn't matter). I only have one switch; it is for my undercabinet lighting--my disposal is a batch feed style disposal which does not need a switch. My light switch is vertical and set higher up than my receptacles. I've never noticed, or thought that it looked weird to have two different heights, with one vertical and the rest horizontal. But maybe cause I only have one switch. IMHO you should do what you can to install the receptacles lower and horizontally, so as not to interrupt the middle of your backsplash.

Note: this photo shows my receptacle that is on the opposite side of the kitchen from my sink, so it is not GFCI.

• smilingjudy
    14 years ago

...what buddyrose said.

I AM the electrician in my house and the outlets had to be placed so far in advance of everything else...... I didn't want to have to deal with predicting what would line up horizontally and then get to tile day and find out I miscalculated. I should have put one less outlet in this corner, but that's a whole other debacle.

Vertical doesn't bother me. Ask yourself how important it is to you. Our individual neuroses determine which small details matter. :)

• lynda_baker
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks, all! We're going over the final placement tomorrow morning, so once it's done, I will stop second guessing myself. :)

We will have a liner of glass tiles, so I know they outlets will have to be above that. Honestly, I don't mind how either looks. I do think I'll have the switches done vertically, tho.

• megradek
    14 years ago

sorry for the highjack lynda baker! It'll look great!

sandimccarron: the backsplash is white onyx subways (3x6), cooktop detail is white onyx pillowed 2x2s with moulding pieces (which also 'frame' the little windows). All tiles came from Ann Sacks - just to warn you, it was ridiculously priced, faint-worthy!! I had to do it though because it was 'the' tile and couldn't find it anywhere else.